What's everyone opinion on Tony Pike
-
^ I think a weak schedule matters, obviously. It does give reason to wonder about what the guy would have done against better competition and to wonder how well prepared he is. I've said that Pike did well, and I think he's an interesting pro prospect/project, but I think we're not going to improve the QB spot in the draft. Third round? We could still pick up a starter on D.
-
As far as the schedule, I think you have to focus on individual matchups. For instance, USF, Pitt, and Florida were the three good pass rush teams on UC's schedule.
Against USF, Pike looked flustered early on, then seemed to be getting it together just before he got hurt. In the Pitt game, he started out strong, but his receivers dropped some perfect throws before he started forcing some dumbs. Ultimately, he finished very strong in that game but couldn't do much at all against Florida.
So I think there still are a lot of questions about Pike's composure while facing a steady rush. Fortunately for him, he has surprising mobility for a guy that tall, and his ability to see over the line will help him a lot at the next level.
One thing I like about Pike is that he's an excellent red zone QB: his numbers there are off the charts good. To his credit, Sam Bradford's also an excellent red zone guy. Jimmy Clausen's stats are a little more mixed; he hasn't thrown many picks, but his completion percentage is below 50%.
-
^ Good post. Regarding Clausen, ND's playcalling in the red zone was always questionable, and they had no rushing option, so they were either one-dimensional or full of trickery. That doesn't excuse a bad completion %, but it may well explain it.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login