Skip to content

Where are the Dawson Haters???

The Browns Board
27 19 2.0k
  • I'm still disapointed on kick offs, but I think if we brought in a punter that could do them that had one hell of a leg no one would have anything else to bitch about. He was inconsistent a few seasons back and yes, I was calling for his head at the time, but he's really pulled it together nicely. I'm glad Dawson worked out and hope to have him this productive for many years to come.

  • so after bills game, everyone has jumped on the Phil Dawson for kicker bandwagon ? seems they forgot the miss a few games ago that could have put us in the playoff spot.

    I agree, only becos we do not have any other kicker now that he should be kept for some time, but personally i will keep my eyes on the market for some more reliable kicker.

  • so after bills game, everyone has jumped on the Phil Dawson for kicker bandwagon ? seems they forgot the miss a few games ago that could have put us in the playoff spot.

    I agree, only becos we do not have any other kicker now that he should be kept for some time, but personally i will keep my eyes on the market for some more reliable kicker.

    @brownindian said:

    so after bills game, everyone has jumped on the Phil Dawson for kicker bandwagon ? seems they forgot the miss a few games ago that could have put us in the playoff spot.

    I agree, only becos we do not have any other kicker now that he should be kept for some time, but personally i will keep my eyes on the market for some more reliable kicker.

    More reliable? 84% for his career. There are like 5 guys with higher.

    And what game did he miss a FG that cost CLE a playoff spot? The only game that would have put us in the playoffs was the CIN game and he didn't get a shot to win the game. Or are you really digging back to week 2 of last year in OAK? In which case, he didn't miss, it was blocked.

  • Washington Red Skins 🙁

    I'm not saying Dawson is crap, im merely saying that if there was someone better go for him. (But we do have bigger problems that needs immediate attention )

  • Washington Red Skins 🙁

    I'm not saying Dawson is crap, im merely saying that if there was someone better go for him. (But we do have bigger problems that needs immediate attention )

    @brownindian said:

    Washington Red Skins 🙁

    I'm not saying Dawson is crap, im merely saying that if there was someone better go for him. (But we do have bigger problems that needs immediate attention )

    Well, I don't think winning that game would put CLE in the playoffs this year. That might have gotten us more DA this year. Also, that kick was only to tie the game. No guarantees CLE gets the ball in OT, and if WAS does, well, chances are good Portis would have just ran them right down the field for a game winning FG.

    I just don't see anyone better floating out there at all.

  • Hey Golf, I brought this up in the other Dawson thread, but why did you forget me? We were partner in arms on this stupid argument LOL.

  • Washington Red Skins 🙁

    I'm not saying Dawson is crap, im merely saying that if there was someone better go for him. (But we do have bigger problems that needs immediate attention )

    @brownindian said:

    Washington Red Skins 🙂

    I'm not saying Dawson is crap, im merely saying that if there was someone better go for him. (But we do have bigger problems that needs immediate attention )

    There is the catch. . . "If there was someone better, go for him. . . " There really isn't anyone better right now. And I think he's 4th on the all-time NFL percentage list. . . so you could argue that there are only 3 kickers in the history of the NFL that are consistently 'better' than him.

    This year, 22-24, with the only two misses coming at over 50 yds (3-5 from 50+). 91.7% this year.

    Career:

    Mike Vanderjagt: 86.47

    Shayne Graham: 85.39

    Matt Stover: 83.82

    Phil Dawson: 83.60

    We've been so jaded by misery and failure for so long, that sometimes it seems we can't recognize the little successes when they kick one down our throats from 50+ yards away. Especially considering he's been doing most of his kicks in CLEVELAND, that FG% is amazing (and so is that of Matt Stover).