Skip to content

Colts lack of integrity

The Browns Board
44 22 2.8k
  • @dencyguy said:

    That's a fair point. I suppose I would argue--and I know that this is an unpopular argument, but it's one that I believe in--that buying a ticket doesn't entitle you to see your team's starters, or the people that fans think should be playing. To put it another way: let's say the Browns are having a terrible season and Eric Mangini keeps throwing Derek Anderson out there as a starter despite a lousy QB rating (granted, that's a bit unrealistic, but it could happen). Most fans think that putting Brady Quinn out there either gives the Browns a better chance to win now or at the very least would allow him to develop as a starter so that the team can do better in the future. Are the Browns cheating their fans? Are they being unethical? One could argue that they're making a tactical error, but that doesn't rise to the level of cheating anyone out of anything.

    I've always said that when I buy a ticket, the only thing I'm entitled to is the use of the chair that I sit on during the game. The team doesn't owe me--or their competitors--anythign else, nor do I owe them anything.

    Dennis

    Too many hyphens Dencys, let's clean it up a bit you're lacking flow.

    Has Tenn found their new savior yet? Oh yeah, Vince's son. Tenny and hiring known sons, kinda weird.

    @riffer-x said:

    Too many hyphens Dencys, let's clean it up a bit you're lacking flow.

    Has Tenn found their new savior yet? Oh yeah, Vince's son. Tenny and hiring known sons, kinda weird.

    What can I say--I like my dashes--which are, oddly enough, pretty close to the way I talk--I've been told not to use them as much, but identity is important--they are who I am--love me, love my dashes.

    As for Tennessee, I'm torn. On the one hand, Dooley carries himself like a responsible adult, with a minimum of douchebaggery. In othetr words, he's the opposite of Lane Kiffin. And he has the kind of assistant coaching pedigree that might translate into him doing a good job at Tennessee. The players seem to like him, and he's done a good job of at least stabilizing UT's recruiting class as well as could be expected.

    That said, you're right about the big question about him. Another guy with a losing record as a head coach but with a famous name. Kiffin had Monte and a short career assisting Pete Carroll; Dooley has Vince and a short career assisting Nick Saban.

    At the same time, it's hard to imagine anyone better ditching their school at the end of January. Part of is that Tennessee isn't the football mecca that people here think it is, even though it's still a really good job. Another part of it is just the timing. Had Carroll left USC at the end of the college football season, we would have had a better shot at getting a more appealing candidate.

    Dennis

    The real loser in all of this is me. This is my third year in UT's grad school, and even if Dooley does a great job the team will be rounding into form right after I leave. Screw you, Kiffin.

  • @riffer-x said:

    Too many hyphens Dencys, let's clean it up a bit you're lacking flow.

    Has Tenn found their new savior yet? Oh yeah, Vince's son. Tenny and hiring known sons, kinda weird.

    What can I say--I like my dashes--which are, oddly enough, pretty close to the way I talk--I've been told not to use them as much, but identity is important--they are who I am--love me, love my dashes.

    As for Tennessee, I'm torn. On the one hand, Dooley carries himself like a responsible adult, with a minimum of douchebaggery. In othetr words, he's the opposite of Lane Kiffin. And he has the kind of assistant coaching pedigree that might translate into him doing a good job at Tennessee. The players seem to like him, and he's done a good job of at least stabilizing UT's recruiting class as well as could be expected.

    That said, you're right about the big question about him. Another guy with a losing record as a head coach but with a famous name. Kiffin had Monte and a short career assisting Pete Carroll; Dooley has Vince and a short career assisting Nick Saban.

    At the same time, it's hard to imagine anyone better ditching their school at the end of January. Part of is that Tennessee isn't the football mecca that people here think it is, even though it's still a really good job. Another part of it is just the timing. Had Carroll left USC at the end of the college football season, we would have had a better shot at getting a more appealing candidate.

    Dennis

    The real loser in all of this is me. This is my third year in UT's grad school, and even if Dooley does a great job the team will be rounding into form right after I leave. Screw you, Kiffin.

    @dencyguy said:

    Dennis

    The real loser in all of this is me. This is my third year in UT's grad school, and even if Dooley does a great job the team will be rounding into form right after I leave. Screw you, Kiffin.

    Since we're talking college here. Let me help. Dennis, when I went to college far too many moons ago we had this miserable guy named Andy that lived in the basement of our fraternity house. ANY time I had a bad day - I'd go see him to hear how much worse his day was. Then my day didn't seem so bad afterall. That was about as therapeutic as it gets. Worked everytime.

    So how is this relevant to your situation today? Your buddy Flugel has season tickets to Vanderbilt Football Games where they went O-for-SEC in 2009. It could always be worse.

    FWIW, I HOPE Dooley does a nice job there for yuz.

    - Tom F.

  • @kshutchins said:

    This argument has merit but it doesn't address the question of fans who have paid for tickets to enjoy watching their team play.

    That's a fair point. I suppose I would argue--and I know that this is an unpopular argument, but it's one that I believe in--that buying a ticket doesn't entitle you to see your team's starters, or the people that fans think should be playing. To put it another way: let's say the Browns are having a terrible season and Eric Mangini keeps throwing Derek Anderson out there as a starter despite a lousy QB rating (granted, that's a bit unrealistic, but it could happen). Most fans think that putting Brady Quinn out there either gives the Browns a better chance to win now or at the very least would allow him to develop as a starter so that the team can do better in the future. Are the Browns cheating their fans? Are they being unethical? One could argue that they're making a tactical error, but that doesn't rise to the level of cheating anyone out of anything.

    I've always said that when I buy a ticket, the only thing I'm entitled to is the use of the chair that I sit on during the game. The team doesn't owe me--or their competitors--anythign else, nor do I owe them anything.

    Dennis

    @dencyguy said:

    I've always said that when I buy a ticket, the only thing I'm entitled to is the use of the chair that I sit on during the game. The team doesn't owe me--or their competitors--anythign else, nor do I owe them anything.

    Dennis

    That's pretty much right. When you go 14-0, you've pretty much earned the right to do just about anything you want. Want to manipulate the teams? Why not? Want to rest some guys? Why not?

    As for us season ticket buyers, we never know what we're going to get when we cut those checks in the spring. We didn't know that we'd see the team go 7-1 at home in 2007. Nor did we expect to see one of the most inept teams in our history just one season later. This year i got a nice dose of both extremes.

    Again, the Colts worked their hearts out in order to put themselves in the position where they could decide whether they want to coast to the finish line.You may agree with it or not agree. It doesn't really matter. For those that are hot happy, feel free to send your TS card in to me, and i'll stamp it for you.

  • I disagree...the point is to get into the playoffs and have home field advantage. In the Jets game, the play that turned the game around was the sack of the back up QB that the Jets took in for a TD. What if that had been Manning and the hit not only takes him out of the game but ends his season, do you think Colts fans would be pissed that they're season essentially is ended in a game that doesn't matter? If you should play your starters in every game, why isn't there the same outrage when the starters sit in the last week of the preseason?

    The Colts did the right thing. The other teams who missed out on the playoffs should've taken care of their own business and gotten in just like we should've in 2007.