Skip to content

Oh S***

The Browns Board
23 13 2.0k
  • The Tebow posturing has begun

    Posted by Evan Silva on February 3, 2010 9:28 PM ET

    New Browns G.M. Tom Heckert spent last week at the Senior Bowl to observe Florida quarterback alum Tim Tebow, among others.

    Unlike ESPN's Todd McShay, Heckert isn't bashing Tebow for practicing and playing in the game. In fact, Heckert believes Tebow will avoid a position change.

    "I think he's going to be a quarterback first of all," Heckert said. "He's got it all. He's everything you want, the greatest kid in the world. People can knock him all they want, but he won a ton of games [at Florida]. He threw the ball and threw the ball well. I think somebody's going to get a good player."

    Heckert admits he doesn't know when Tebow will be drafted, and that the 2007 Heisman winner's delivery could afford to be "shorten(ed)...up a little bit."

    The Browns need a quarterback.

    While Heckert's feelings seem to indicate plenty of interest in Tebow as a developmental prospect at least, club president Mike Holmgren would likely prefer a quarterback with a skill set befitting the West Coast offense. West Coast quarterbacks are accurate and release the football quickly. Tebow appears to be lacking in both areas.

    We can expect similar statements from front-office people in positions similar to Heckert's over the next three months. Ultimately, though, much of it will be posturing. And an organization run by an offensive mind with as much history using one system as Holmgren is very unlikely to use a second-, let alone first-day draft pick on Tim Tebow.

    This is why I am glad we have a guy like Holmgren who will step in and say no to things like this. If we spent a 4th or 5th round pick on St. Tebow then I wouldn't mind. However, anything before that is a wasted pick. He is a project and Mangini doesn't have 4 or five years to develop anyone.

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    This is why I am glad we have a guy like Holmgren who will step in and say no to things like this. If we spent a 4th or 5th round pick on St. Tebow then I wouldn't mind. However, anything before that is a wasted pick. He is a project and Mangini doesn't have 4 or five years to develop anyone.

    I think this is smoke and mirrors. Heckert wants Jacksonville to fret over us taking Tebow, and give up some draft picks to trade #1's with us.

  • @clevelandfanforlife said:

    This is why I am glad we have a guy like Holmgren who will step in and say no to things like this. If we spent a 4th or 5th round pick on St. Tebow then I wouldn't mind. However, anything before that is a wasted pick. He is a project and Mangini doesn't have 4 or five years to develop anyone.

    I think this is smoke and mirrors. Heckert wants Jacksonville to fret over us taking Tebow, and give up some draft picks to trade #1's with us.

    @thaak said:

    I think this is smoke and mirrors. Heckert wants Jacksonville to fret over us taking Tebow, and give up some draft picks to trade #1's with us.

    anyone who thinks the jags or anyone is still interested in taking tebow in the first round is insane. his stock is down and will get even lower after the combine.

  • well, I won't start a new thread with this, but it is pretty weird, a Jags olineman blogs anti-Tebow: LOL

    *******************************************************

    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog...rn=ncaaf,217616

    Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:46 am EST

    Tebow-to-Jags talk isn't sitting well with at least one actual Jag

    By Holly Anderson

    Remember those rumors, way back in the fall, about the Jacksonville Jaguars setting their sights on hometown hero Tim Tebow before he'd even played his senior season? That owner Wayne Weaver was said to be considering plucking the Tebow Child early in the draft as a sales-boosting gambit? Lately, the scorn of the scouts and his obvious struggles in the Senior Bowl haven't tempered local enthusiasm for Tebow as the draft draws nigh, but at least one member of the franchise isn't afraid to express his, let's say ... misgivings about adding Tebow to the roster, according to the Florida Times-Union:

    [Offensive lineman Uche] Nwaneri posted on the Jaguars’ Web site that, while cashing a check, a bank teller started talking about how Tebow will save the Jaguars.

    So Nwaneri posted his five points on Tebow, with capital letters:

    "1. He can't throw, PERIOD.

    2. He can't read any coverage other than probably cover 2 or man.

    3. The QB WildDawg WILL NOT WORK IN THIS LEAGUE. PERIOD.

    4. He doesn’t know how to take a snap from center.

    5. HE CAN’T THROW, and that’s really something you either have or not."

    I guess that settles it, then. Obviously, there's nothing the kid can do to help the team. Oh, and one more thing:

    Nwaneri then urged fans to buy tickets because he doesn’t want to come out "for pregame warmups to a COMPLETELY EMPTY STADIUM ANYMORE."

    Let's talk business, Uche: Whether or not the Tebow Child can make a successful transition to the pro game on the field, putting warm bodies in seats is obviously among the greatest of his many other talents. Give the people what they want. And even if Nwaneri and the legions of critics are right that Tebow is bound for NFL flopdom, I guarantee thousands of Georgia fans would be willing to make the drive down to the site of so many Cocktail Party aggravations for the sole purpose of watching their former tormenter operate behind a line that might not feel much like blocking for him.

  • forget this olineman. He was a 5th round pick at OG. He's 6-3, 330 lbs. He likes to run his mouth.

    I think Tebow may fall to the third round and the Jags might very well nab him, Tebow will surprise folks,

    and Uche is probably just upset that he's SHORT and Tebow is TALLER. LOL

    Oh, here's what Mark Brunell says about him (hint to Uche - Brunell KNOWS quarterbacking.)

    **********************

    http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2010/2/4/1291...nd-mark-brunell

    Mark Brunell, the former Jaguars QB who will be handling holding duties in the Super Bowl for the Saints, had a different opinion than that of Nwaneri.

    "If they want him on the field and they think he can contribute, I think [the Jaguars] should [draft him]," Brunell said at Super Bowl media day. "I think he's going to be a good football player. I think he'll do well at this level."

    "But I don't think Timmy wants to go to Jacksonville if they're drafting him just to sell tickets. He wants to compete and play. So if they want a good football player, absolutely [draft him]."

    "I really respect Tim because he's taken his faith, taken who he is and he's making a difference. He's a great role model for a lot of young people and a great leader. Who he is is more important than what he does. He's a great kid."

  • I'm not opposed to getting Tebow, I just don't want to nab him early when there's so many other positions we need help at. Tebow is a fantastic guy, and a definite leader. He would be a welcome addition, if we could nab him late. And I'm talking real late. 5th round, 6th round. Any time before that, and I just don't agree with the pick.

    He's definitely a project, but if he's proven anything it's that he's willing to work hard to be the best.

  • forget this olineman. He was a 5th round pick at OG. He's 6-3, 330 lbs. He likes to run his mouth.

    I think Tebow may fall to the third round and the Jags might very well nab him, Tebow will surprise folks,

    and Uche is probably just upset that he's SHORT and Tebow is TALLER. LOL

    Oh, here's what Mark Brunell says about him (hint to Uche - Brunell KNOWS quarterbacking.)

    **********************

    http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2010/2/4/1291...nd-mark-brunell

    Mark Brunell, the former Jaguars QB who will be handling holding duties in the Super Bowl for the Saints, had a different opinion than that of Nwaneri.

    "If they want him on the field and they think he can contribute, I think [the Jaguars] should [draft him]," Brunell said at Super Bowl media day. "I think he's going to be a good football player. I think he'll do well at this level."

    "But I don't think Timmy wants to go to Jacksonville if they're drafting him just to sell tickets. He wants to compete and play. So if they want a good football player, absolutely [draft him]."

    "I really respect Tim because he's taken his faith, taken who he is and he's making a difference. He's a great role model for a lot of young people and a great leader. Who he is is more important than what he does. He's a great kid."

    @calfoxwc said:

    "I really respect Tim because he's taken his faith, taken who he is and he's making a difference. He's a great role model for a lot of young people and a great leader. Who he is is more important than what he does. He's a great kid."

    since when did god become a scout for the nfl?

  • @calfoxwc said:

    "I really respect Tim because he's taken his faith, taken who he is and he's making a difference. He's a great role model for a lot of young people and a great leader. Who he is is more important than what he does. He's a great kid."

    since when did god become a scout for the nfl?

    @miktoxic said:

    since when did god become a scout for the nfl?

    There are some things more important than football.

  • @miktoxic said:

    since when did god become a scout for the nfl?

    There are some things more important than football.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    There are some things more important than football.

    yes i agree, but isn't this 'the browns board'?

  • please god... let this be a smoke screen 🤔

  • As long as we don't waste a 1st or 2nd on him then I'm not going to pitch a fit if we pick him.

    I don't think he's worth a 1st or 2nd round pick but I doubt he goes past the 3rd round if he makes it through the 2nd round.

  • As long as we don't waste a 1st or 2nd on him then I'm not going to pitch a fit if we pick him.

    I don't think he's worth a 1st or 2nd round pick but I doubt he goes past the 3rd round if he makes it through the 2nd round.

    @next2nothing said:

    I don't think he's worth a 1st or 2nd round pick but I doubt he goes past the 3rd round if he makes it through the 2nd round.

    do you think he is or can be a legit nfl quarterback? or are you thinking hb and maybe run some WildDawg stuff through him and cribbs? (now that would be interesting: him and cribbs in the backfield!)

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    There are some things more important than football.

    yes i agree, but isn't this 'the browns board'?

    @miktoxic said:

    yes i agree, but isn't this 'the browns board'?

    It is the Browns Board. And, as a Browns fan, I would hope that you realize that character goes a long way in football. Because if you forget that, you might as well be rooting for our Black and Urine neighbors.

  • He is dissimulating the Brown's interest. A common ploy. As The Who sing in "It's a put on"

  • @next2nothing said:

    I don't think he's worth a 1st or 2nd round pick but I doubt he goes past the 3rd round if he makes it through the 2nd round.

    do you think he is or can be a legit nfl quarterback? or are you thinking hb and maybe run some WildDawg stuff through him and cribbs? (now that would be interesting: him and cribbs in the backfield!)

    @miktoxic said:

    do you think he is or can be a legit nfl quarterback? or are you thinking hb and maybe run some WildDawg stuff through him and cribbs? (now that would be interesting: him and cribbs in the backfield!)

    I do think he CAN be a legit NFL QB. I mean all he has done is win at the collegiate level, granted he did play in a system that favored his skills, but isn't that what we talk about all the time? Winning?

    I wouldn't reject the idea of him in a WildDawg formation, I don't think he is fast enough to be any type of RB but he is a hard runner IMO so he could maybe turn into a power runner/catch the ball out of the backfield. I just think with an athlete like Tebow you can do a lot with him IF he is willing to put the ego aside and maybe face that he may have to play another position to become a factor for his team.

    I would not mind at all if we picked him up, though I still like a Pike or LeFevour a little more. Picking Tebow, IF he slides far enough to justify the pick, I won't mind it.

  • @miktoxic said:

    yes i agree, but isn't this 'the browns board'?

    It is the Browns Board. And, as a Browns fan, I would hope that you realize that character goes a long way in football. Because if you forget that, you might as well be rooting for our Black and Urine neighbors.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    It is the Browns Board. And, as a Browns fan, I would hope that you realize that character goes a long way in football. Because if you forget that, you might as well be rooting for our Black and Urine neighbors.

    agree 100%. strong character is very improtant. unfortunately alot of the great players nowadays seem not agree. look at miami university football when jimmy 'the scumbag' johnson was running the squad and letting them do what they wanted. how good were they? how many hall of famers came out of that group? (don't know just asking).

    i believe the 'faith' issue (along with other issues outside the discussion of football) are very personal to the individual and should be left out of the locker room and the class room. hey by all means do what you want to do on your own time because i can choose not to watch or see what you or he or she is professing. watching my favorite team play football from another state i can't say that i have that choice if someone is wearing 'john' '1:13' stickers under his eyes and the broadcast network chooses to zoom in on it every two seconds and discuss this person's beliefs. do you think the sec or the ncaa would allow a muslim to wear something pro muslim or how about an islamic person? hell no.

    have your faith man. god bless you. just keep it where it belongs. understand that everyone is not the same and might not believe what you believe.

  • He is dissimulating the Brown's interest. A common ploy. As The Who sing in "It's a put on"

    @yosemitejam said:

    He is dissimulating the Brown's interest. A common ploy. As The Who sing in "It's a put on"

    It's an eminence front. It's an eminence front - It's a put on!