Three-point stance could get the boot
-
Stupidest thing I've ever heard. Line play is all about firing off the ball and getting low with leverage.
-
I don't think that linemen hit each other hard enough to cause damage. But once the running back or tight end collide with the linebacker it is often a big time collision.
Maybe they should have each team's line count one mississippi, two mississippi before moving. That would allow the QB time to throw the ball so he doesn't get hurt and the running back could already be past the line at that point.
Make the players play without cleats so that they cannot brace themselves as well.
-
That makes some sense as well....more or less along the lines of what I was saying without slowing players down, just from a different perspective.
I also think padding outside the helmet....leather or foam is something that should be explored.
We basically have the same hard plastic used when I played HS football back in the early, mid 60's.
Seems like padding outside the helmet would be similar to crush zones on cars.
We basically have the same hard plastic used when I played HS football back in the early, mid 60's.
WOW!!! Waterboy's wore helmet's!!!! hmmm
We basically have the same hard plastic used when I played HS football back in the early, mid 60's.
WOW!!! Waterboy's wore helmet's!!!! hmmm
LOL.....I was a little more than that, but no, I never claim to have been all that good at football. I saw my fair share of the action and started my fair share of games, but no...the SEC wasn't calling me up every couple of days.

-
Maybe they should put an added insulation layer on the outside of the helmet to absorb impact before it reaches someone's head, kind of like on those foam pillows that returns to it's shape. Adding extra layers on the shoulder pads would also help as someone pointed out.
When do most concussions occur? Please add something I might have missed...
1) Helmet hits the ground (MORE LIKELY TO BE A PROBLEM ON ARTIFICIAL TURF)
2) Helmet to Helmet
3) Shoulder pad or forearm to helmet
4) Helmet hits knee during tackling, tough one to prevent without playing touch football
-
what are they going to do next? make our 350 pound lineman wear tutu's?
-
Maybe they should put an added insulation layer on the outside of the helmet to absorb impact before it reaches someone's head, kind of like on those foam pillows that returns to it's shape. Adding extra layers on the shoulder pads would also help as someone pointed out.
When do most concussions occur? Please add something I might have missed...
1) Helmet hits the ground (MORE LIKELY TO BE A PROBLEM ON ARTIFICIAL TURF)
2) Helmet to Helmet
3) Shoulder pad or forearm to helmet
4) Helmet hits knee during tackling, tough one to prevent without playing touch football
Maybe they should put an added insulation layer on the outside of the helmet to absorb impact before it reaches someone's head, kind of like on those foam pillows that returns to it's shape. Adding extra layers on the shoulder pads would also help as someone pointed out.
When do most concussions occur? Please add something I might have missed...
1) Helmet hits the ground (MORE LIKELY TO BE A PROBLEM ON ARTIFICIAL TURF)
2) Helmet to Helmet
3) Shoulder pad or forearm to helmet
4) Helmet hits knee during tackling, tough one to prevent without playing touch football
arguably #1 cause of concussion>>>previous concussion(s). some sports science experts claim once you get one they occur much easier after that, leaving you more vulnerable to permanent injury down the road.
the functional lives of football players cannot be planned obsolescence. realistically there needs to at least be attempts made.
-
I don't think that linemen hit each other hard enough to cause damage. But once the running back or tight end collide with the linebacker it is often a big time collision.
Maybe they should have each team's line count one mississippi, two mississippi before moving. That would allow the QB time to throw the ball so he doesn't get hurt and the running back could already be past the line at that point.
Make the players play without cleats so that they cannot brace themselves as well.
I don't think that linemen hit each other hard enough to cause damage. But once the running back or tight end collide with the linebacker it is often a big time collision.
Maybe they should have each team's line count one mississippi, two mississippi before moving. That would allow the QB time to throw the ball so he doesn't get hurt and the running back could already be past the line at that point.
Make the players play without cleats so that they cannot brace themselves as well.
Actually exactly the opposite is true. Linemen tend to accumulate concussions (and the resultant symptoms) at a far greater rate. The reason is the repetitive helmet to helmet contact without giving the body an opportunity to heal. A wide receiver might get blasted once, but may not take another hit for an hour if at all. Running backs tend to be able to protect themselves a little better because they never have to take their eye off the defense, and can mitigate hits by slipping hits and sliding out of bounds. Linemen have no choice.
-jj
-
If they didn't wear helmets, they woildn't smack their heads together.
I am 100% convinced of that.
-
If they didn't wear helmets, they woildn't smack their heads together.
I am 100% convinced of that.
If they didn't wear helmets, they woildn't smack their heads together.
I am 100% convinced of that.
I think you may see a bit more discussion of soft-shell helmets rather than no helmet at all. You still have to protect the head from being hit, but moving to a soft, impact-deadening helmet may eliminate the benefit of using one's head as a weapon. Or even if you did, it would be like two nerf balls crashing into each other. If you're still wearing semi-rigid shoulder pads, it would make more sense to use those.
-jj
-
I just don't understand why they can't make a helmet with modern technology that absorbs most of the blow. Taking away the collisions at the line of scrimmage will be a total detriment to the game as we know it IMO.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login