Skip to content

Why LeBron isn't Going Anywhere Next Year

The Cavs Board
32 15 4.1k
  • I'll add a few thoughts. I hope he stays but I don't think it is all that set in stone.

    First the money. I don't think us being able to offer him the biggest deal is all that much of an advantage. At some point, and I think he is there, the amount of money isn't all that important.

    I almost think he is nearing the point where he would be willing to take less to help his team get other parts to the puzzle, so I just don't see money being "the" deciding factor. It's not like we can offer something great and everyone else will only be able to offer league minimum.

    Other teams "suck' factor.

    Face it, James takes any team from the suck level to a pretty darn good level, so I don't think he is going to see it as having to waste 3 years of his career for a rebuild somewhere else.

    Right now i think what we do this year is going to be key. If we win, the chances are good he stays. If we lose, I am not going to say the chances are good he leaves, but the chance is enhanced.

    We have had a pretty good team 3 years running right now. We have taken our shots to win the crown and for one reason or another haven't, so it is possible James sees the Cavs window as closing and very well could decide if we couldn't get it done with what we had and what we have tried to do, he may decide it just isn't going to happen here.

    The Knicks are in a pretty good position to take a run at James and a player like Bosch.

    While I hope he stays and still think the odds favor him doing so, I wouldn't be so sure.

    S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by SJ_Browns
    #17

    @ballpeen said:

    I'll add a few thoughts. I hope he stays but I don't think it is all that set in stone.

    First the money. I don't think us being able to offer him the biggest deal is all that much of an advantage. At some point, and I think he is there, the amount of money isn't all that important.

    I almost think he is nearing the point where he would be willing to take less to help his team get other parts to the puzzle, so I just don't see money being "the" deciding factor. It's not like we can offer something great and everyone else will only be able to offer league minimum.

    Other teams "suck' factor.

    Face it, James takes any team from the suck level to a pretty darn good level, so I don't think he is going to see it as having to waste 3 years of his career for a rebuild somewhere else.

    Right now i think what we do this year is going to be key. If we win, the chances are good he stays. If we lose, I am not going to say the chances are good he leaves, but the chance is enhanced.

    We have had a pretty good team 3 years running right now. We have taken our shots to win the crown and for one reason or another haven't, so it is possible James sees the Cavs window as closing and very well could decide if we couldn't get it done with what we had and what we have tried to do, he may decide it just isn't going to happen here.

    The Knicks are in a pretty good position to take a run at James and a player like Bosch.

    While I hope he stays and still think the odds favor him doing so, I wouldn't be so sure.

    why would james, at his age, want to go somewhere else to start over with dysfunctional teams like nj or ny when he has a very functional team here in cleveland? there's no debating that gilbert, ferry and brown are a great fo and that would be hard to find elsewhere especially with the teams that are aiming for him.

    also, how can anyone say the cavs window is closing? huh?????? and the nets and knicks windows are opening? I HAVE YET TO HEAR ANYONE PRESENT A LEGIT REASON FOR LBJ TO LEAVE CLEVELAND. to leave would be absolutely foolish and i don't think lbj is foolish. i'm not guaranteeing anything, but i am stating some solid facts.

    lbj is a very loyal person to his family (teammates). he could've bolted from svsm to a more lavish school (oakhill academy), but he stayed with his fam and they got it done together. the reasons for lbj to stay far outweigh the reasons to leave.

  • A few more thoughts.

    Take James off the Cavs. Are we a championship contender??

    No. We might have a hard time being a middle seed playoff team.

    Also factor in age at center. Shaq isn't going to play all that long and you can expect his play to slip for as long as he does.

    Z....he isn't young, and isn't even on the team at the moment.

    We have been building for the here and now.....which I agree with. However, if it doesn't produce a championship you end up having to pay the piper in that you have little room for improvement over the next few seasons since you have traded young players or have traded away draft choices. Pretty soon you have nothing to deal and nothing on which to build.

    S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @ballpeen said:

    A few more thoughts.

    Take James off the Cavs. Are we a championship contender??

    No. We might have a hard time being a middle seed playoff team.

    Also factor in age at center. Shaq isn't going to play all that long and you can expect his play to slip for as long as he does.

    Z....he isn't young, and isn't even on the team at the moment.

    We have been building for the here and now.....which I agree with. However, if it doesn't produce a championship you end up having to pay the piper in that you have little room for improvement over the next few seasons since you have traded young players or have traded away draft choices. Pretty soon you have nothing to deal and nothing on which to build.

    the whole "take lbj off of the cavs" argument is overused and weak. take kobe, dwight howard, wade, bosh, durant, etc. off of their teams and how would they be?? EXACTLY!!

    the age factor for the cavs is that they have like 3 or 4 players that are up in age. boobie, jj, lbj, danny green, jawad, av, mo, d west, powe and moon (who isn't that old and in very good shape) are just fine age wise.

    the cavs haven't traded any young players and they only traded next seasons 1st rd pick which probably doesn't have much value at the spot the cavs will be picking from.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #19

    Think what you want.

    Why would he want to leave...I spelled it out as far as I know. Other then that, you'd have to ask him.

    As for window of opportunity...I thought i spelled that out as well??

    It doesn't take a keen mind to know teams only have so many legit chances.

    Take Shaq and Z....what happens when they run out of gas next year or the year after??

    NY just landed a pretty good player....say they add James and Bosch....who is the favorite then??

    I am not trying to spell gloom and doom here, but really, a few of you need to pull your heads out of the sand.

    Believe it or not, James might leave.

  • S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by SJ_Browns
    #20

    to continuosly make a case for lbj to leave cleveland with the small percentage of reasons that he would leave is just mind boggling to me. hypothetically speaking, if he did leave, it would be very foolish of him.

  • Think what you want.

    Why would he want to leave...I spelled it out as far as I know. Other then that, you'd have to ask him.

    As for window of opportunity...I thought i spelled that out as well??

    It doesn't take a keen mind to know teams only have so many legit chances.

    Take Shaq and Z....what happens when they run out of gas next year or the year after??

    NY just landed a pretty good player....say they add James and Bosch....who is the favorite then??

    I am not trying to spell gloom and doom here, but really, a few of you need to pull your heads out of the sand.

    Believe it or not, James might leave.

    S SJ_Browns wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @ballpeen said:

    Think what you want.

    Why would he want to leave...I spelled it out as far as I know. Other then that, you'd have to ask him.

    As for window of opportunity...I thought i spelled that out as well??

    It doesn't take a keen mind to know teams only have so many legit chances.

    Take Shaq and Z....what happens when they run out of gas next year or the year after??

    NY just landed a pretty good player....say they add James and Bosch....who is the favorite then??

    I am not trying to spell gloom and doom here, but really, a few of you need to pull your heads out of the sand.

    Believe it or not, James might leave.

    t-mac is weak, injury prone and i still haven't heard any legit reasons for lbj to leave. you may think you presented a good case, but you didn't. believe whatever you want though. i'll just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

  • N nobuo wrote on last edited by
    #22

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...mp;sportCat=nba

    This columinst really needs to be posting articles on Fantasy games, not the NBA.

  • @ballpeen said:

    A few more thoughts.

    Take James off the Cavs. Are we a championship contender??

    No. We might have a hard time being a middle seed playoff team.

    Also factor in age at center. Shaq isn't going to play all that long and you can expect his play to slip for as long as he does.

    Z....he isn't young, and isn't even on the team at the moment.

    We have been building for the here and now.....which I agree with. However, if it doesn't produce a championship you end up having to pay the piper in that you have little room for improvement over the next few seasons since you have traded young players or have traded away draft choices. Pretty soon you have nothing to deal and nothing on which to build.

    the whole "take lbj off of the cavs" argument is overused and weak. take kobe, dwight howard, wade, bosh, durant, etc. off of their teams and how would they be?? EXACTLY!!

    the age factor for the cavs is that they have like 3 or 4 players that are up in age. boobie, jj, lbj, danny green, jawad, av, mo, d west, powe and moon (who isn't that old and in very good shape) are just fine age wise.

    the cavs haven't traded any young players and they only traded next seasons 1st rd pick which probably doesn't have much value at the spot the cavs will be picking from.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @sj_browns said:

    the whole "take lbj off of the cavs" argument is overused and weak. take kobe, dwight howard, wade, bosh, durant, etc. off of their teams and how would they be?? EXACTLY!!

    the age factor for the cavs is that they have like 3 or 4 players that are up in age. boobie, jj, lbj, danny green, jawad, av, mo, d west, powe and moon (who isn't that old and in very good shape) are just fine age wise.

    the cavs haven't traded any young players and they only traded next seasons 1st rd pick which probably doesn't have much value at the spot the cavs will be picking from.

    Exactly. Take Wade off the Heat and they're a lottery team- they may even be one with Dwayne on the team. Anybody pay attention tonight? Oh, you forgot to mention Hixon and Andy. With Shaq in the locker room, and Z (who may well retire should the Cavs win it this year) not even on the team the Cavs just beat the even older Celtics by 27 points in the second half.

    The Cavs are so loaded LeBron would have to be out of his mind to even think of going anywhere else.

  • ClevelandFanForLifeC ClevelandFanForLife wrote on last edited by
    #24

    my mom works at mckinley high school in canton and one of her co-workers is a guy who dated lebron's mom and was one of his father figures growing up. lebron still talks to this guy and he says that lebron isn't going anywhere. lebron knows that if he goes to new york or anywhere else that he would have nobody to trust and wants to keep his group of friends around him. he's staying.

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #25

    I debated starting a new thread over this, but I decided not to. Tonight's beat-down of the Knicks should permanently shut up the delusional New York media there's a snowballs chance in hell LeBron would want to play there next year. They're hanging on that he likes the Yankees, and likes playing in MSG. Sorry, but LBJ likes winning more, and if Mike Brown hadn't called off the dogs and played the end of the bench (the Cavs were up by 49 at one point and James & most of the starters sat the 4th quarter) the NBA record 68 point loss Miami took would have been in serious jeopardy.

    Yeah- the Knicks are competitive- with Cleveland's second string. Even with LBJ and (pick another max contract, any one of your choosing) the Knicks wouldn't be good enough to get out of the East next year- not by a long shot. LeBron's not going to a rebuild project. If I'm Lebron, I'd rather take his current supporting cast than Bosh/Wade and a bunch of stiffs.

    BTW, not that I love Charles Barkley, but he was saying Shaq would slow down LeBron. Hmmmm...... With him and Z out of the lineup, the Cavs could play Rabbit Ball, and I sure liked the results. If the Knicks game was any indication, we have nothing to worry about until Shaq and Z get back. The Cavs only have 2 games against playoff teams (the Spurs and Celtics, both at home) until Z hopefully returns on the 21st. And they only have a pair of games against Atlanta, one against the Celtics, one against the Spurs (away) and one against the Magic (home) after that.

    The only thing the Cavs are in danger of losing with Shaq out is potential home court in the finals against the Lakers. Some one else pointed out if the Cavs go 14-7 in the final 21 games, the Magic about have to go undefeated to catch them- and that's not going to happen. They've still got a game against the Lakers, and a back to back road special in April against the Spurs and Mavs.

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #26

    And just one more reason........

    NY TIMES ARTICLE

  • DumAssWhiteGuyD DumAssWhiteGuy wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Zombo said:

    and another:

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont...?urn=nba,225246

    He only needs to petition the league for a number change if he stays in Cleveland ... obviously he is strongly considering that.

    Zombo

    --Screw New York

    Agreed, screw NY!

    I used to enjoy watching PTI on ESPN but Tony Cornholio's constant snide, arrogant NY remarks like "the countdown to Lebron in NY is on" or "Lebron is wearing a Knickerbockers uniform next year" "why wouldn't he want to be in NY?" just got too much to tolerate anymore.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #28

    Dwayne already won a championship in Miami. Why wouldn't he want to move to Cleveland?

    THE RACE FOR DWAYNE IS ON!

    Instead of talking about how LeBron's going to leave, why don't the Cleveland sportswriters start talking about how many other All-Stars will join LeBron? Next year I'm looking forward to LeBron having a Bill Simmons-style Eff You season.

  • L LeBrent wrote on last edited by
    #29

    LeBron is about to sign an extension with Nike.

    Man, I can't belieive Nike would want to give him all that money with him playing in Cleveland. If I were Nike I would wait for him to sign with New York. Nobody wants to buy a guy's shoe who plays in Cleveland. 😆

  • R ruban2 wrote on last edited by
    #30

    LeBron is history.

  • LeBron is history.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @ruban2 said:

    LeBron is history.

    Yeah, he certainly is- the best player in the NBA, the fastest to 15,000 points. And he's going to move to a team that didn't make the playoffs, and take less money to do so. Keep Dreaming.

  • ThaakT Thaak wrote on last edited by
    #32

    Zombo said:

    and another:

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont...?urn=nba,225246

    He only needs to petition the league for a number change if he stays in Cleveland ... obviously he is strongly considering that.

    Zombo

    --Screw New York

    And from what I read of the article in today's Yahoo Sports, Nike offered him more than the 7 year, $93 million he originally got. Additionally, there is no clause saying he will make more money in a larger market. No incentive from Nike to move.