Skip to content

Too soon for draft talk??

The Browns Board
96 22 5.7k
  • Aloy.....I think you'll be suprised how high Josh Freeman (qb) KSU goes in the draft...if he comes out....with all the pub on big 12 QB's this year....he might go the highest....you cannot teach 6'6 250 QB, with rifle arm.

  • Freeman's another guy I haven't seen much of, but Tony Pauline at SI isn't too high on him:

    Josh Freeman/QB/Kansas State: The Wildcats' rifled-armed passer is drawing comparisons to Jamarcus Russell in size, pocket stature and ability to fling the ball a country mile with ease. Freeman lags behind Russell in that he shows a fraction of the poise under pressure and command of the offense the former No. 1 pick displayed at LSU. Only a junior, Freeman is expected to enter the draft, which scouts feel would be a mistake.

    Though Freeman probably could use another year of development before heading to the NFL, I can understand why he's going to declare for the draft. Not only is this year's senior QB class extremely weak, but Wildcats' head coach Ron Prince has been fired. A senior year spent adjusting to a new coach & system could actually damage Freeman's draft stock.

    If he declares, the guys at nfldraftscout expect Freeman to be drafted in the Round 2-3 range.

  • Freeman's another guy I haven't seen much of, but Tony Pauline at SI isn't too high on him:

    Josh Freeman/QB/Kansas State: The Wildcats' rifled-armed passer is drawing comparisons to Jamarcus Russell in size, pocket stature and ability to fling the ball a country mile with ease. Freeman lags behind Russell in that he shows a fraction of the poise under pressure and command of the offense the former No. 1 pick displayed at LSU. Only a junior, Freeman is expected to enter the draft, which scouts feel would be a mistake.

    Though Freeman probably could use another year of development before heading to the NFL, I can understand why he's going to declare for the draft. Not only is this year's senior QB class extremely weak, but Wildcats' head coach Ron Prince has been fired. A senior year spent adjusting to a new coach & system could actually damage Freeman's draft stock.

    If he declares, the guys at nfldraftscout expect Freeman to be drafted in the Round 2-3 range.

    Aloysius said:

    Freeman's another guy I haven't seen much of, but Tony Pauline at SI isn't too high on him:

    Though Freeman probably could use another year of development before heading to the NFL, I can understand why he's going to declare for the draft. Not only is this year's senior QB class extremely weak, but Wildcats' head coach Ron Prince has been fired. A senior year spent adjusting to a new coach & system could actually damage Freeman's draft stock.

    If he declares, the guys at nfldraftscout expect Freeman to be drafted in the Round 2-3 range.

    I say he goes in first if he comes out...n e way...my ideal draft for Browns is Rey mauluaga with first pick Kendall Hunter RB from OSU in second...maybe best available safety....

  • I could be wrong, but I don't think Hunter's draft-eligible (he's only a sophomore).

    Also, the guy's pretty tiny (5'8", 190). If we go RB in Round 2, I'd prefer a big, physical guy to tandem with Harrison - someone like Shonn Greene.

    A small school kid from Liberty named Rashad Jennings could also be in the running, depending on how fast the big man (6'1", 232) runs his 40.

  • here's a scouting report on jennings:

    2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

    Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty

    Jennings originally committed to play for Pitt but did not qualify. He played the 2005 season for the Panthers, rushing for 411 yards on 86 carriers (4.8 average) and one touchdown. In 2006 he transferred to Liberty University where he started nine of eleven games, recording 1,020 rushing yards on 179 carriers (5.7) with 10 TD. He also caught six passes for 56 yards. Jennings was voted to the Big South Conference First Team. He then followed his breakthrough campaign of 2006 with a similar impressive 2007 season. Although he only played in nine games gaining 1,113 yards on 191 carriers (5.8) with 15 TD. He also caught 13 passes for 276 yards and two TD, earning the Conference's Player of the Year Award.

    Jennings is a big and strong back. Is deceptively fast (4.60) for his size. A true downhill runner, Jennings does not "dance" around the pile. Great leg drive. Very tough to bring down inside. A workhorse-type of back. Very productive back. Does not turn the corner. Will get caught from behind.

    This would be the Matt Forte of next year's draft. A workhorse back who would carry the load on the next level. In a weak running back class, Jennings (with a good post season) could sneak into the second round.

    he sounds pretty good to me, a little bit like jamal lewis but maybe with a bit less breakaway speed.

  • Aloysius said:

    Freeman's another guy I haven't seen much of, but Tony Pauline at SI isn't too high on him:

    Though Freeman probably could use another year of development before heading to the NFL, I can understand why he's going to declare for the draft. Not only is this year's senior QB class extremely weak, but Wildcats' head coach Ron Prince has been fired. A senior year spent adjusting to a new coach & system could actually damage Freeman's draft stock.

    If he declares, the guys at nfldraftscout expect Freeman to be drafted in the Round 2-3 range.

    I say he goes in first if he comes out...n e way...my ideal draft for Browns is Rey mauluaga with first pick Kendall Hunter RB from OSU in second...maybe best available safety....

    @solon16 said:

    I say he goes in first if he comes out...n e way...my ideal draft for Browns is Rey mauluaga with first pick Kendall Hunter RB from OSU in second...maybe best available safety....

    Then Best safety ...Hunter's bad ass

  • @solon16 said:

    I say he goes in first if he comes out...n e way...my ideal draft for Browns is Rey mauluaga with first pick Kendall Hunter RB from OSU in second...maybe best available safety....

    Then Best safety ...Hunter's bad ass

    @solon16 said:

    Then Best safety ...Hunter's bad ass

    Might take a look at stroughter in da second from the ha ha

    " beavers " if he is available ...he is a playmaker at wr but safety bigger need

  • Here's some great highlight footage of Aaron Curry:

    I've seen Curry compared to Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, and Patrick Willis. If you watch these clips, you'll definitely see why.
  • Here's some great highlight footage of Aaron Curry:

    I've seen Curry compared to Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, and Patrick Willis. If you watch these clips, you'll definitely see why.

    Aloysius said:

    Here's some great highlight footage of Aaron Curry:

    I've seen Curry compared to Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, and Patrick Willis. If you watch these clips, you'll definitely see why.

    Don't get me wrong...I'd love Curry but Haven't seen him play ILB....WE have a crater size hole in the middle.

  • Aloysius said:

    Here's some great highlight footage of Aaron Curry:

    I've seen Curry compared to Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, and Patrick Willis. If you watch these clips, you'll definitely see why.

    Don't get me wrong...I'd love Curry but Haven't seen him play ILB....WE have a crater size hole in the middle.

    @solon16 said:

    Don't get me wrong...I'd love Curry but Haven't seen him play ILB....WE have a crater size hole in the middle.

    But at this Point.... do think , Any LB is better than what we have as well

  • Aloysius said:

    Here's some great highlight footage of Aaron Curry:

    I've seen Curry compared to Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, and Patrick Willis. If you watch these clips, you'll definitely see why.

    Don't get me wrong...I'd love Curry but Haven't seen him play ILB....WE have a crater size hole in the middle.

    @solon16 said:

    Don't get me wrong...I'd love Curry but Haven't seen him play ILB....WE have a crater size hole in the middle.

    I don't think that's much of a concern. Guys like Jon Beason & Demeco Ryans played OLB in college, yet they've become excellent 4-3 MLB's in the NFL.

    And we drafted Beau Bell to play 3-4 ILB last year despite the fact that he primarily played weakside linebacker at UNLV.

    Size, style of play, and hand usage are much better determinants of whether a guy can play 3-4 ILB. It'd be nice to see Curry play ILB, but I don't think it's necessary based on how good he looks playing SLB (and some 9 technique, which is similar to 3-4 OLB).

  • @solon16 said:

    Don't get me wrong...I'd love Curry but Haven't seen him play ILB....WE have a crater size hole in the middle.

    I don't think that's much of a concern. Guys like Jon Beason & Demeco Ryans played OLB in college, yet they've become excellent 4-3 MLB's in the NFL.

    And we drafted Beau Bell to play 3-4 ILB last year despite the fact that he primarily played weakside linebacker at UNLV.

    Size, style of play, and hand usage are much better determinants of whether a guy can play 3-4 ILB. It'd be nice to see Curry play ILB, but I don't think it's necessary based on how good he looks playing SLB (and some 9 technique, which is similar to 3-4 OLB).

    Aloysius said:

    I don't think that's much of a concern. Guys like Jon Beason & Demeco Ryans played OLB in college, yet they've become excellent 4-3 MLB's in the NFL.

    And we drafted Beau Bell to play 3-4 ILB last year despite the fact that he primarily played weakside linebacker at UNLV.

    Size, style of play, and hand usage are much better determinants of whether a guy can play 3-4 ILB. It'd be nice to see Curry play ILB, but I don't think it's necessary based on how good he looks playing SLB (and some 9 technique, which is similar to 3-4 OLB).

    good point....Rey is my choice in 09'

  • Interesting profile of FSU DE-OLB Everette Brown:

    Just ask his defensive coordinator, Mickey Andrews, who said Brown might be having one of the best seasons by a defensive end in the history of the program.

    "He has a great burst," Andrews said. "He gets off the ball really well. He gets a good jump. Running a 4.5 (40-yard dash) doesn't hurt him. We have backs who don't do that — defensive backs . . . He got stronger this summer, really worked on his strength, and I think you see a more determined player right now than you did last year, too. That is a very strong compliment for him."

    The former basketball player now bench-presses 500 pounds, which means he now has numerous ways to make an offensive lineman look silly. He can speed rush past them, he can bull-rush them into the quarterback, or he could use a lightning-quick spin move that leaves them blocking air.

    "On the basketball court, I was a big spinner," Brown said. "I used to think I was Magic Johnson."

  • Okrapo or Curry with our 1st pick, who ever is still on the board.

    Rashad Johnson (Bama safety) next: smart kid, quick & can tackle in the open field.

  • Okrapo or Curry with our 1st pick, who ever is still on the board.

    Rashad Johnson (Bama safety) next: smart kid, quick & can tackle in the open field.

    @legacy-fan said:

    Okrapo or Curry with our 1st pick, who ever is still on the board.

    Rashad Johnson (Bama safety) next: smart kid, quick & can tackle in the open field.

    I like johnson alot as well...