Skip to content

This Week's trivia, Local Knowledge

The Browns Board
21 9 1.8k
  • Hey, I grew up in NE Ohio but I don't know any of these! My Grandma lived for a while next to the Garfield house in Mentor so for him I'll say Mentor but it probably wasn't called Mentor HS in those days!

    @dumasswhiteguy said:

    Hey, I grew up in NE Ohio but I don't know any of these! My Grandma lived for a while next to the Garfield house in Mentor so for him I'll say Mentor but it probably wasn't called Mentor HS in those days!

    That is a very well deduced guess. It is not right, but it was well thought out.

  • This week's trivia may only apply to NE Ohio types. Identify the Northeast Ohio High School that the following person attended:

    2. The O'Jays and Broncos HC Josh McDaniels

    canton mckinley

    10. George Steinbrenner

    douche high

    14. Dick Goddard, weatherman, and Playmate of the Year Heather Kozar

    green

    Check on McKinley and Green, however, I believe Douche HS is on the other side of the PA state line, thus is not in NE Ohio.

  • This week's trivia may only apply to NE Ohio types. Identify the Northeast Ohio High School that the following person attended:

    1. Football immortals Harry Stuhldreher, Paul Brown, Earl Bruce, Don James, and Chris Spielman

    2. The O'Jays and Broncos HC Josh McDaniels

    3. Musicians Sammy Kaye and Michael Stanley

    4. David Ferrie, alleged to be part of JFK assassination conspiracy and B.D. of Doonesbury

    5. Phil Donahue and Tom Cousineau

    6. Political strongman Mark Hanna and Macy Gray

    7. Marc Cohn (Walking in Memphis singer)

    8. Halle Berry

    9. Margaret Hamilton (Wicked Witch of the West)

    10. George Steinbrenner

    11. Bo Schembechler

    12. Mark Mothersbaugh (Devo)

    13. Jeffrey Dahmer

    14. Dick Goddard, weatherman, and Playmate of the Year Heather Kozar

    15. George Stephanapoulos and James Garfield

    16. Ray Wise (he killed Laura Palmer in Twin Peaks) and Antoine Winfield

    17. Jack Lambert

    18. Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders

    19. Mike Adamle, Stan White, Tom DeLeone, and Deral Boykin

    20. Chuck Noll and Terry Pluto

    21. Jim Tressel

    22. Eric Carmen (Raspberries) and Steve Stone (pitcher, announcer)

    23. Tim Conway (McHale's Navy/Carol Burnett)

    24. Jack Buck

    25. Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster (Superman creators), Benny Friedman (HOF QB), and Howard Metzenbaum

    26. Art Rooney II (son of Steeler's owner) and Paul Dolan (son of Indian's owner)

    @the-gipper said:

    This week's trivia may only apply to NE Ohio types. Identify the Northeast Ohio High School that the following person attended:

    1. Football immortals Harry Stuhldreher, Paul Brown, Earl Bruce, Don James, and Chris Spielman

    Massilon

    2. The O'Jays and Broncos HC Josh McDaniels

    John Carroll

    3. Musicians Sammy Kaye and Michael Stanley

    Mayfield

    4. David Ferrie, alleged to be part of JFK assassination conspiracy and B.D. of Doonesbury

    5. Phil Donahue and Tom Cousineau

    St. Eds

    6. Political strongman Mark Hanna and Macy Gray

    7. Marc Cohn (Walking in Memphis singer)

    8. Halle Berry

    East Tech

    9. Margaret Hamilton (Wicked Witch of the West)

    10. George Steinbrenner

    11. Bo Schembechler

    12. Mark Mothersbaugh (Devo)

    13. Jeffrey Dahmer

    Maple Hts. ?

    14. Dick Goddard, weatherman, and Playmate of the Year Heather Kozar

    15. George Stephanapoulos and James Garfield

    Moreland Hills

    16. Ray Wise (he killed Laura Palmer in Twin Peaks) and Antoine Winfield

    17. Jack Lambert

    Mantua

    18. Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders

    Cuyahoga falls

    19. Mike Adamle, Stan White, Tom DeLeone, and Deral Boykin

    20. Chuck Noll and Terry Pluto

    21. Jim Tressel

    Berea

    22. Eric Carmen (Raspberries) and Steve Stone (pitcher, announcer)

    23. Tim Conway (McHale's Navy/Carol Burnett)

    24. Jack Buck

    25. Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster (Superman creators), Benny Friedman (HOF QB), and Howard Metzenbaum

    26. Art Rooney II (son of Steeler's owner) and Paul Dolan (son of Indian's owner)

  • Bob806 got #1, #5, #17 sorta, and #21 right.

  • You could have added ESPN college football analyst/former Vikings RB Robert Smith. He's from Euclid but went to one of the private schools that recruited great football players on the east side and now I can't remember the school (doh!). He was also the ONLY one ever named "Mr Ohio" twice as the best football player in the state.

  • Bob806 got #1, #5, #17 sorta, and #21 right.

    @the-gipper said:

    Bob806 got #1, #5, #17 sorta, and #21 right.

    I didn't know Bo Schembechler was from around here, but I knew he went to Miami of Oh. My uncle played with him for two years, kind of cool (even if he coached that school up north).

  • You could have added ESPN college football analyst/former Vikings RB Robert Smith. He's from Euclid but went to one of the private schools that recruited great football players on the east side and now I can't remember the school (doh!). He was also the ONLY one ever named "Mr Ohio" twice as the best football player in the state.

    @dumasswhiteguy said:

    You could have added ESPN college football analyst/former Vikings RB Robert Smith. He's from Euclid but went to one of the private schools that recruited great football players on the east side and now I can't remember the school (doh!). He was also the ONLY one ever named "Mr Ohio" twice as the best football player in the state.

    I am sure there may have been a hundred other people I could have added that were well known from this area.

    In fact, here they are:

    LeBron James

    Paul Newman

    Bob Hope

    Chris Columbus (Harry Potter director)

    The Warner Brothers of Warner Bros Studio

    President William McKinley

    Catherine Bach (Daisy Duke)

    Carmella DeCesare (Playmate of the Year)

    Mike Douglas (talk show host, entertainment entrepreneur)

    Hugh Downs (ABCs 20/20)

    Clark Gable

    Terri Garr

    Arsenio Hall

    Patricia Heaton (of Everybody Loves Raymond)

    Hal Holbrook

    Melina Kanakaredes (CSI:NY)

    Perry King

    Gates McFadden (Dr. Crusher...Star Trek)

    Martin Mull

    Don Novello (Guido Sarducci)

    Ed O'Neill (Married with Children)

    Robert Patrick (The Terminator 2)

    Monica Potter

    Alan Ruck (Ferris Buehler etc.)

    Molly Shannon (SNL)

    Fred Willard

    Debra Winger

    Angie Everhart

    Tracy Chapman

    Robert Lockwood Jr.

    Marilyn Manson (Brian Warner)

    Trent Reznor

    Boz Scaggs

    Thomas Edison

    Harvey Firestone

    Judith Resnick (Challenger astronaut)

    Chris and Sal Bando

    Larry Csonka

    Len Dawson

    Thom Darden

    Dave Dravecky

    Ted Ginn Jr.

    Troy Smith (Heisman winner)

    Bob and Mike Golic

    John Gruden

    Lou Holtz

    Desmond Howard

    Don King

    Bobby Knight

    Bernie Kosar

    Ray Boom Boom Mancini

    Urban Meyer

    Thurman Munson

    Jesse Owens

    Orlando Pace

    Ara Parseghian

    Bo Pelini

    Bobby Rahal

    Don Shula

    Frank Sinkwich (Heisman winner)

    George Sisler (Baseball HOF)

    Andy Sonnanstine

    Mike Vrabel

    Paul Warfield (HOF)

    Chris Wells

    Cy Young

    Ron Zook

    Ed DeBartolo Sr. and Jr.

    John D. Rockefeller

    Frank Seiberling (founder of Goodyear)

    John Brown (abolitionist)

    Bob Smith (AA founder)

    Sander Vanocur (ABC News anchorman)

    John Dean (Watergate)

    Dean Martin

    Jimmy the Greek

    Cliff Battles (PFHOF)

    Ray Bliss (Republican Party national chairman)

    Michael Dokes (heavyweight boxing champ)

    Anne Heche

    Carol Heiss (Gold medal figure skater)

    Rex Humbard (evangelist)

    Ernest Angeley (evangelist)

    James Ingram (Grammy winning singer)

    Grandpa Jones (Hee Haw)

    Herm Keiser (Master champion)

    Gene Mingo

    Tim "Ripper" Owens....Judas Priest singer

    Butch Reynolds (Gold Medal runner)

    Jeep Davis (multiple Gold Medal runner)

    Nate Thurmond (Basketball HOFer)

    Gus Johnson (NBA)

    Alvin Robertson (NBA, Gold medalist)

    Jesse White (original Maytag repairman)

    Roger Ailes (FoxNews President)

    Bob Stoops

    Mike Stoops

    Maureen McGovern

    William McGuffey (McGuffey Readers)

    Ross Browner (NFL)

    Bob Davie (ND coach)

    Randy Gradishar (NFL)

    Jim Backus (Mr. Magoo, Gilligan's Island)

    Kaye Ballard

    David Birney

    Ben Curtis (British Open champ)

    William H. Daniels (St. Elsewhere, voice of KITT on Knight Rider)

    Keir Dullea (2001 Space Odyssey)

    Joe Esterhaz (controversial director of Showgirls)

    Carol Kane (comedian)

    Elvis Grbac

    John Heisman as in Heisman Trophy

    Henry Mancini

    Burgess Meredith (Penguin, Mickey from Rocky)

    Harvey Pekar

    Sam Sheppard

    Tris Speaker (Baseball HOF)

    Bobby Womack

    Roger Penske

    I guess that's enough for now

  • @hoorta said:

    #18 is Mantua

    and

    #20 is my Alma Mater Benedictine- you forgot to mention Tom Weiskopff. 🙂

    Check for #20 (I guess I did leave Tom off).

    On #18, the HS in question is in Mantua, but is not called Mantua HS.

    @the-gipper said:

    Check for #20 (I guess I did leave Tom off).

    On #18, the HS in question is in Mantua, but is not called Mantua HS

    .

    Seeing as how that's where I grew up im going to take partial credit and say Crestwood on this one but it's #17 not #18. Chrissie Hynde went to Firestone in Akron I think.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Check for #20 (I guess I did leave Tom off).

    On #18, the HS in question is in Mantua, but is not called Mantua HS

    .

    Seeing as how that's where I grew up im going to take partial credit and say Crestwood on this one but it's #17 not #18. Chrissie Hynde went to Firestone in Akron I think.

    @speedyd900rr said:

    Seeing as how that's where I grew up im going to take partial credit and say Crestwood on this one lol.

    Right. Crestwood H.S. I don't know why they gave the school the name Crestwood. Do you?

    My curiosity is peaked because the street I live on happens to be named Crestwood. (but not in Mantua)

  • To be honest I havn't got the slightest idea why they went with that name.

  • @dumasswhiteguy said:

    You could have added ESPN college football analyst/former Vikings RB Robert Smith. He's from Euclid but went to one of the private schools that recruited great football players on the east side and now I can't remember the school (doh!). He was also the ONLY one ever named "Mr Ohio" twice as the best football player in the state.

    I am sure there may have been a hundred other people I could have added that were well known from this area.

    In fact, here they are:

    LeBron James

    Paul Newman

    Bob Hope

    Chris Columbus (Harry Potter director)

    The Warner Brothers of Warner Bros Studio

    President William McKinley

    Catherine Bach (Daisy Duke)

    Carmella DeCesare (Playmate of the Year)

    Mike Douglas (talk show host, entertainment entrepreneur)

    Hugh Downs (ABCs 20/20)

    Clark Gable

    Terri Garr

    Arsenio Hall

    Patricia Heaton (of Everybody Loves Raymond)

    Hal Holbrook

    Melina Kanakaredes (CSI:NY)

    Perry King

    Gates McFadden (Dr. Crusher...Star Trek)

    Martin Mull

    Don Novello (Guido Sarducci)

    Ed O'Neill (Married with Children)

    Robert Patrick (The Terminator 2)

    Monica Potter

    Alan Ruck (Ferris Buehler etc.)

    Molly Shannon (SNL)

    Fred Willard

    Debra Winger

    Angie Everhart

    Tracy Chapman

    Robert Lockwood Jr.

    Marilyn Manson (Brian Warner)

    Trent Reznor

    Boz Scaggs

    Thomas Edison

    Harvey Firestone

    Judith Resnick (Challenger astronaut)

    Chris and Sal Bando

    Larry Csonka

    Len Dawson

    Thom Darden

    Dave Dravecky

    Ted Ginn Jr.

    Troy Smith (Heisman winner)

    Bob and Mike Golic

    John Gruden

    Lou Holtz

    Desmond Howard

    Don King

    Bobby Knight

    Bernie Kosar

    Ray Boom Boom Mancini

    Urban Meyer

    Thurman Munson

    Jesse Owens

    Orlando Pace

    Ara Parseghian

    Bo Pelini

    Bobby Rahal

    Don Shula

    Frank Sinkwich (Heisman winner)

    George Sisler (Baseball HOF)

    Andy Sonnanstine

    Mike Vrabel

    Paul Warfield (HOF)

    Chris Wells

    Cy Young

    Ron Zook

    Ed DeBartolo Sr. and Jr.

    John D. Rockefeller

    Frank Seiberling (founder of Goodyear)

    John Brown (abolitionist)

    Bob Smith (AA founder)

    Sander Vanocur (ABC News anchorman)

    John Dean (Watergate)

    Dean Martin

    Jimmy the Greek

    Cliff Battles (PFHOF)

    Ray Bliss (Republican Party national chairman)

    Michael Dokes (heavyweight boxing champ)

    Anne Heche

    Carol Heiss (Gold medal figure skater)

    Rex Humbard (evangelist)

    Ernest Angeley (evangelist)

    James Ingram (Grammy winning singer)

    Grandpa Jones (Hee Haw)

    Herm Keiser (Master champion)

    Gene Mingo

    Tim "Ripper" Owens....Judas Priest singer

    Butch Reynolds (Gold Medal runner)

    Jeep Davis (multiple Gold Medal runner)

    Nate Thurmond (Basketball HOFer)

    Gus Johnson (NBA)

    Alvin Robertson (NBA, Gold medalist)

    Jesse White (original Maytag repairman)

    Roger Ailes (FoxNews President)

    Bob Stoops

    Mike Stoops

    Maureen McGovern

    William McGuffey (McGuffey Readers)

    Ross Browner (NFL)

    Bob Davie (ND coach)

    Randy Gradishar (NFL)

    Jim Backus (Mr. Magoo, Gilligan's Island)

    Kaye Ballard

    David Birney

    Ben Curtis (British Open champ)

    William H. Daniels (St. Elsewhere, voice of KITT on Knight Rider)

    Keir Dullea (2001 Space Odyssey)

    Joe Esterhaz (controversial director of Showgirls)

    Carol Kane (comedian)

    Elvis Grbac

    John Heisman as in Heisman Trophy

    Henry Mancini

    Burgess Meredith (Penguin, Mickey from Rocky)

    Harvey Pekar

    Sam Sheppard

    Tris Speaker (Baseball HOF)

    Bobby Womack

    Roger Penske

    I guess that's enough for now

    @the-gipper said:

    I am sure there may have been a hundred other people I could have added that were well known from this area.

    In fact, here they are:

    I don't know the High School of too many of these, but I know a few, I just know they are from this area and since they are not part of the trivia I will give you the ones I know:

    LeBron James Akron St. Vincent/St. Mary

    Paul Newman Shaker Hts. HS

    Bob Hope Cleveland East.

    Chris Columbus (Harry Potter director)

    The Warner Brothers of Warner Bros Studio

    President William McKinley

    Catherine Bach (Daisy Duke)

    Carmella DeCesare (Playmate of the Year)

    Mike Douglas (talk show host, entertainment entrepreneur)

    Hugh Downs (ABCs 20/20)

    Clark Gable Cadiz

    Terri Garr

    Arsenio Hall

    Patricia Heaton (of Everybody Loves Raymond)

    Hal Holbrook

    Melina Kanakaredes (CSI:NY) Akron Firestone

    Perry King Alliance

    Gates McFadden (Dr. Crusher...Star Trek) Cuyahoga Falls

    Martin Mull North Ridgeville

    Don Novello (Guido Sarducci)

    Ed O'Neill (Married with Children)

    Robert Patrick (The Terminator 2)

    Monica Potter

    Alan Ruck (Ferris Buehler etc.)

    Molly Shannon (SNL)

    Fred Willard

    Debra Winger

    Angie Everhart (I know her grade school, as my wife works there, but she later moved into Akron)

    Tracy Chapman

    Robert Lockwood Jr.

    Marilyn Manson (Brian Warner)

    Trent Reznor

    Boz Scaggs

    Thomas Edison

    Harvey Firestone

    Judith Resnick (Challenger astronaut)

    Chris and Sal Bando

    Larry Csonka Stow

    Len Dawson Alliance

    Thom Darden

    Dave Dravecky

    Ted Ginn Jr. Glenville

    Troy Smith (Heisman winner) Glenville

    Bob and Mike Golic St. Joseph

    John Gruden

    Lou Holtz

    Desmond Howard

    Don King

    Bobby Knight Orrville

    Bernie Kosar Boardman

    Ray Boom Boom Mancini

    Urban Meyer

    Thurman Munson

    Jesse Owens

    Orlando Pace Sandusky

    Ara Parseghian Akron South (no longer there)

    Bo Pelini

    Bobby Rahal

    Don Shula

    Frank Sinkwich (Heisman winner)

    George Sisler (Baseball HOF)

    Andy Sonnanstine

    Mike Vrabel Walsh Jesuit

    Paul Warfield (HOF) Warren G. Harding

    Chris Wells Akron Garfield

    Cy Young

    Ron Zook

    Ed DeBartolo Sr. and Jr.

    John D. Rockefeller

    Frank Seiberling (founder of Goodyear)

    John Brown (abolitionist)

    Bob Smith (AA founder)

    Sander Vanocur (ABC News anchorman)

    John Dean (Watergate)

    Dean Martin Steubenville

    Jimmy the Greek Steubenville

    Cliff Battles (PFHOF) Akron Kenmore

    Ray Bliss (Republican Party national chairman)

    Michael Dokes (heavyweight boxing champ)

    Anne Heche

    Carol Heiss (Gold medal figure skater)

    Rex Humbard (evangelist)

    Ernest Angeley (evangelist)

    James Ingram (Grammy winning singer) Akron East

    Grandpa Jones (Hee Haw)

    Herm Keiser (Master champion) Don't know about him, but his son went to my HS, Norton

    Gene Mingo

    Tim "Ripper" Owens....Judas Priest singer Akron Kenmore

    Butch Reynolds (Gold Medal runner) Akron Hoban

    Jeep Davis (multiple Gold Medal runner) Barberton

    Nate Thurmond (Basketball HOFer) Akron Central (closed)

    Gus Johnson (NBA) Akron Central..closed

    Alvin Robertson (NBA, Gold medalist) Barberton

    Jesse White (original Maytag repairman)

    Roger Ailes (FoxNews President)

    Bob Stoops

    Mike Stoops

    Maureen McGovern

    William McGuffey (McGuffey Readers)

    Ross Browner (NFL)

    Bob Davie (ND coach)

    Randy Gradishar (NFL)

    Jim Backus (Mr. Magoo, Gilligan's Island)

    Kaye Ballard

    David Birney

    Ben Curtis (British Open champ) Stow

    William H. Daniels (St. Elsewhere, voice of KITT on Knight Rider)

    Keir Dullea (2001 Space Odyssey)

    Joe Esterhaz (controversial director of Showgirls)

    Carol Kane (comedian)

    Elvis Grbac

    John Heisman as in Heisman Trophy

    Henry Mancini

    Burgess Meredith (Penguin, Mickey from Rocky)

    Harvey Pekar

    Sam Sheppard

    Tris Speaker (Baseball HOF)

    Bobby Womack

    Roger Penske

    I guess that's enough for now