Cleveland Browns' possible pick Joe Haden runs disappointing 4.57 in 40
-
yea, those times got messed up bad this year. Holliday was supposed to have the fastest time ever (4.22) in the combine yet it got changed to 4.35.
-
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...sible_pick.html
CLEVELAND -- Florida cornerback Joe Haden, one of the players the Browns are seriously considering with their No. 7 overall pick in the draft, posted a disappointing 40-time at the NFL Combine today.
Haden was unofficially timed at 4.57 seconds on his first run and 4.60 on his second, well above the 4.37 to 4.42 Haden said he expected to post.
For comparison's sake, safety Eric Berry -- another player on the Browns' radar screen -- turned in an unofficial time of 4.46 on his first run and 4.4 on his second, meaning he probably strengthened his status as a top 10 prospect and maybe even top five. It also proved to some teams that he can play corner as well as safety, according to the NFL Network analysts.
Perhaps most shocked about Haden's slow time was NFL Network's Mike Mayock, who had said Haden could solidify his status as a top 10 pick with a sub-4.4. "That blows me away,'' said Mayock.
Deion Sanders said on NFL Network that Haden had "a horrible stance'' at the beginning of his run. NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks cautioned teams not to read too much into the time because of Haden's excellent production, but said the 4.57 will cause teams to re-evaluate his college tape to make sure he can keep pace with fast receivers.
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...sible_pick.html
CLEVELAND -- Florida cornerback Joe Haden, one of the players the Browns are seriously considering with their No. 7 overall pick in the draft, posted a disappointing 40-time at the NFL Combine today.
Haden was unofficially timed at 4.57 seconds on his first run and 4.60 on his second, well above the 4.37 to 4.42 Haden said he expected to post.
For comparison's sake, safety Eric Berry -- another player on the Browns' radar screen -- turned in an unofficial time of 4.46 on his first run and 4.4 on his second, meaning he probably strengthened his status as a top 10 prospect and maybe even top five. It also proved to some teams that he can play corner as well as safety, according to the NFL Network analysts.
Perhaps most shocked about Haden's slow time was NFL Network's Mike Mayock, who had said Haden could solidify his status as a top 10 pick with a sub-4.4. "That blows me away,'' said Mayock.
Deion Sanders said on NFL Network that Haden had "a horrible stance'' at the beginning of his run. NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks cautioned teams not to read too much into the time because of Haden's excellent production, but said the 4.57 will cause teams to re-evaluate his college tape to make sure he can keep pace with fast receivers.
Sounds like another good reason to trade down.
-
Jerry Rice had a poor time in the 40. How did he turn out?
Jerry Rice had a poor time in the 40. How did he turn out?
Recievers know the direction or route they are running unlike a db they need the speed to close the gap on that initial move(s).
Taylor mays is a stud in my mind he has size and speed and appears he can blow about anyone up.
-
-
I hate the combine. Every year, many a football player is downgraded because he didn't long jump, or bench press 225lbs enough times. Then, some guy who constantly finds himself out of position on the field, sky rockets atop the boards because he jumped up real high and swatted some plastic maker things, and then he ran in a straight line really, really fast.
Note to The Browns.............................PLEASE DRAFT FOOTBALL PLAYERS, NOT LONG JUMPERS............PLEASE.
I hate the combine. Every year, many a football player is downgraded because he didn't long jump, or bench press 225lbs enough times. Then, some guy who constantly finds himself out of position on the field, sky rockets atop the boards because he jumped up real high and swatted some plastic maker things, and then he ran in a straight line really, really fast.
Note to The Browns.............................PLEASE DRAFT FOOTBALL PLAYERS, NOT LONG JUMPERS............PLEASE.
Hello Mr. Gholston..
-
The combine is a dog and pony show. 99% meaningless.
-
-
-
Leon Hall ran a slow 40 (i think 4.6), he's working out pretty well for Cincy
oh and to op, I highly doubt you run faster than a 4.5
-
Yes, because Lord knows, anyone who posts on an internet message board can't be athletic or fast.
I was "clocked" at 4.6 in highschool and was an all-state OLB, when it came time to run electronically timed 40 for college camps I ran a 4.9My point was that a 4.6 is fast enough to play CB in the nfl, but the widespread mistakes in hand timing makes us think otherwise
I wasn't calling the OP a liar, just likely misinformed
-
Yes, because Lord knows, anyone who posts on an internet message board can't be athletic or fast.
I was "clocked" at 4.6 in highschool and was an all-state OLB, when it came time to run electronically timed 40 for college camps I ran a 4.9My point was that a 4.6 is fast enough to play CB in the nfl, but the widespread mistakes in hand timing makes us think otherwise
I wasn't calling the OP a liar, just likely misinformed
I was "clocked" at 4.6 in highschool and was an all-state OLB, when it came time to run electronically timed 40 for college camps I ran a 4.9
My point was that a 4.6 is fast enough to play CB in the nfl, but the widespread mistakes in hand timing makes us think otherwise
I wasn't calling the OP a liar, just likely misinformed
Ok, fair point. Different timing systems may create different results, usually the difference, in one form or another, is based on human error.
But a 4.6 40 translates roughly to a 10.5 100 yard dash, which was good for 3rd or 4th place in most of the track meets I was involved in. I was not a sprinter, so I never ran that fast. But I bet I could have gotten a 4.7 or 4.9 40, but would beat most of the 4.2’s for the first 5 or 10 yards. I have incredibly fast initial twitch muscles.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login