Phil Savage- Deadspin.com
-
I'm all for the response. For all the whining you hear about spoiled players, primadonnas and the like (BTW, whatever happened to Prima from the old board?) etc., if you look at it terms of maturity-demands-petulance>actually doing something, you can't beat an NFL fan. My guess is that the tool who sent the e-mail to Savage was honestly expecting a "Sorry that the team isn't meeting your (and my) expectations, but please be patient" response. Screw that. The moron sent a whiny e-mail and got smacked for it. As Savage said, he can go screw himself.
Dennis
Although if I were in Savage's position, I might have pointed out that I don't go to his place of work and knock the French Fry basket out of his hands.
-
What an embarrassment.
-
It's unfortunate this happened, As much as I support and like Savage, this is a ding against him. Yes, I like his passion, but it was a political no-no. Do I think he needs to be fired? Absolutely not. But I still wish this didn't go down like this.
It's unfortunate this happened, As much as I support and like Savage, this is a ding against him. Yes, I like his passion, but it was a political no-no. Do I think he needs to be fired? Absolutely not. But I still wish this didn't go down like this.
Savage is incompetent and is running the team into the ground.
Laughing stock around the league: one debacle after another. Just a couple of weeks ago, it was the Winslow Soap Opera. Now he acts like a petulant child and embarrasses not only the team but the league at large.
Savage could never carry Newsome's jock strap.
Please sell, Little Lerner.
-
I don't know what to think of this.
Actually, I'm still kind of floored by it.
-
Hey Opie Cunningham, Fonzie has a message to you from the fans......
.jpg)
-
My problem with these things is that the local news was calling for Savage's head last night BECAUSE of this e-mail. I'm so tired of this attitude here in America.
Who gives a shit about a God damn e-mail .... You know who should lose their job? The Defenders who are pointed out on film standing flat footed as a ball carrier runs past them, that's who. McDonald should be canned, Wright should be canned and our entire LB-corp should be canned ... then we look at who's dropping passes and who's sitting out with wussy injuries, and that's who loses their jobs too ... this is a bullshit topic.
This franchise is a skitterish one, Not because of Randy Lerner, Not because of Phil Savage, Not because of Romeo Crennel, Not because of Derek Anderson, because we have the Worst fans in all of Pro Sports. We are a whiney little spolied brat fan base that won a decision using a fax machine a dozen years ago, but lost the war and have become a never-was-who-think-they-were.
Browns fans suck and are minor leaguers.
-
To a point I agree with Atenears. It's an email, the people calling for Savage's job because of an email need to put things in perspective. Sure, he needs to hire a skilled PR person to screen his emails. . . so he can continue to do the work he is good at (talent evaluation, salary cap management, etc).
But to lose a job over an email like this, just silly.
-
Who hasn't fooked up an email before?
Satn is right, this is bullshit but it would be a big deal in any city. It's a PC no no for a high powered exec.
He probably had too many toddies.
-
We are a whiney little spolied brat fan base that won a decision using a fax machine a dozen years ago, but lost the war and have become a never-was-who-think-they-were.
Browns fans suck and are minor leaguers.
Speak for yourself.
There's nothing spoiled brat about the Browns fans I know. They don't suck and are very knowledgable about football.
Is there some portion of the fanbase that meets your definition? Sure. Probably a similar percentage for every franchise.
Sheesh, talk about hyperbole.
-
@inspecta said:
Wouldn't that make you somebody who throws good money after bad?I just attend the games for the occasional free 8x10" towel or schedule magnet.
(once we got travel coffee mugs!)
-
We are a whiney little spolied brat fan base that won a decision using a fax machine a dozen years ago, but lost the war and have become a never-was-who-think-they-were.
Browns fans suck and are minor leaguers.
Speak for yourself.
There's nothing spoiled brat about the Browns fans I know. They don't suck and are very knowledgable about football.
Is there some portion of the fanbase that meets your definition? Sure. Probably a similar percentage for every franchise.
Sheesh, talk about hyperbole.
Speak for yourself.
There's nothing spoiled brat about the Browns fans I know.
then go meet some more fans.....
this is the 4th board im about to leave cause all the incessant whining and bitching....im here for football, not to listen to the ill-content bitch about how they could do the FO/coaches jobs better.
-
@jadbf said:
Here's my problem with Savage in this whole situation, and no it's not that I've lost my confidence in him ONLY because of this e-mail. It's been a slowly developing issue I have seen with him (riffer, I'll say this..I am so glad a certain poster from the other board isn't here, he'd be rubbing this in my face big time).I believe Phil Savage is a very good evaluator of talent. A very good draft expert, and a guy I'd love to have a beer with.
UNFORTUNATELY, this is NOT what a GM of a team should be.
The GM should be the person setting the direction for the franchise, developing the public relations campains that show the fans and the media what that direction is. And the GM should be the one controlling the look, sound and fell of the message that emenates from every person in the organization.
If there's a question about which player is starting this week, which player is being benched, why something happen on the field. The Coach should answer those questions. All other questions should be handled by the GM. If some aspect of a story needs a PR spin, that spin should eminate from the top down, and that is not what seems to be happening.
Let's look at a history.
First you have players like Bentley and others who while I feel they were not treated fairly as far as contracts and getting a chance to play goes, the story you hear from thier camps is that they were not treated fairly. To me that falls on Savage.
Then you have the Winslow debacle. In this instance you have a PR underling sending a text message to Winslow telling him to keep quiet about his staph. A text that should have never been sent. You have those discussions in person with Winslow. And then, when the Sh*T hits the fan, Savage is no where to be found in the early parts of it. It's his job at that point to step forward, take over the message of the "company" and make sure that message is clear.
And then this last mess. Do I love that Savage has some fire in his belly? Do i LOVE that Savage gets sick and tired of the "You can turn this thing around in 2 years" crowd?? Of course I do. But that doesn't excuse such a rookie, rookie, embarrasingly rookie PR mistake as this one.
And that history tells me that While savage strenghts like in evaluating talent, his weaknesses in all the other aspects of being a GM may be bad enough to not make up for that.
And this is a hard realization for me to come to. I believe Savage has had a plan all along to build this team the way he has. There have been bumps and suprises both good and bad along the way, but I think he is building a good framework for this team to be competitive for years to come.
SO no, I will not call for him to be fired. But I can't help but state how disapointed this last year has made me in him. and it has nothign to do with the record on the field.
Jaiel would be crowing for a month over you Golf. I still don't think he actually had a clue about Savage before, it just so happened that it worked out kinda like he said. Sort of like da ich and Gillooly telling us everybody sucks. When some of them do, they can claim they were right.
It's a bit of a disappointment, but we'll still have to see how this affects the team in the long run. I don't see that big of a deal really, it comes down to the talent on the field. He's never had an issue getting FA's and I think some folks actually like his showing emotion from time to time.
-
It looked like an e-mail I would have sent. I could care less who the fuk sent it. Fans get upset and write stuff. That's what fans do. General managers don't reply to that stuff. That's what general managers do. Savage replied to the damn thing and not only that, he told the guy to fuk himself. That's not what general managers do.
He needs to be fired for that, and the fact that this team is still a piece of shit 4 years after he took over as head honcho. He won't fire a woefully pathetic coach, he paid alot of money for alot of players that didn't pan out and drafted alot of players that are completely worthless. In fact the only players he really did well on either fell into his lap or were no brainer round 1 picks, give or take a cornerback or two. He also totally whiffed on the whole Winslow situation and made us look like a pitiful franchise.
The dude is really falling apart and making himself look like a whack job. Take him out back and finish him.
He needs to go back to being a scout and that's it. He had some good moves with the team but his bad outweighs his good and the fact that he's tied himself to Romeo seals his fate.
Nice try Randy but it didn't work, again.
Maybe you should give up too.
-
Why in H-LL is an NFL GM corresponding to a fan during a game????
Good GOD if I were to tell one of my customers; or one of my associates to go F- off I would be fired in less than a minute....this is horrid!
-
better question: why are our fans so damn immature to send baiting emails? why do they incessantly whine and bitch? why do our fans have such a short memory....about a weeks worth? and furthmore, why dont they show a little class?
think about it......crybabies.
better question: why are our fans so damn immature to send baiting emails? why do they incessantly whine and bitch? why do our fans have such a short memory....about a weeks worth? and furthmore, why dont they show a little class?
think about it......crybabies.
Maybe it's because most fans HAVE NEVER SEEN THE BROWNS WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. Losing year after year, and not even sniffing a Super Bowl kinda makes the fans impatient and surly. Phil is an idiot for even responding to emails from fans, that is what his PR dept. is for. Duh.
-
I agree that you do not respond to emails like this, no matter how high your rank in a company or organization. Just let them go, they arent worth responding to.
However, for the people saying PS needs to be fired over this incident is completely and utterly ridiculous. Should he be repremanded, probably so, fine him, or whatever, but not grounds for firing. Unless there are prior situations that would constitute a firing on this issue, but as far as any of us know, this is a first and hopefully last of something like this.
Im the VP of a company and if I fired every person for their first mistake, we wouldnt be in business, if you remember, all of us our human, all of us err and noone is perfect. Quite frankly, none of us would have jobs or even be able to function at all if we all got fired or a very severe punishment for stupid mistakes we make.
He obviously is a smart man to be in such a high position and I'm sure he knows he made a mistake and it won't happen again. I know most would say he should know better, and he should, but not grounds for firing.
-
@jadbf said:
Well you may not know this yet JD, but I work in politics (ducks things people start throwing at him) and repsonding to critical and inflamatory e-mails like this is a basic PR NO-NO. You have nothing to gain and everything to lose.there are many sayings that apply here, but my favorite is.
Never argue with a fool, people might not notice the difference.....
"never get in an arguement with a Skunk" -
better question: why are our fans so damn immature to send baiting emails? why do they incessantly whine and bitch? why do our fans have such a short memory....about a weeks worth? and furthmore, why dont they show a little class?
think about it......crybabies.
Maybe it's because most fans HAVE NEVER SEEN THE BROWNS WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. Losing year after year, and not even sniffing a Super Bowl kinda makes the fans impatient and surly. Phil is an idiot for even responding to emails from fans, that is what his PR dept. is for. Duh.
Maybe it's because most fans HAVE NEVER SEEN THE BROWNS WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. Losing year after year, and not even sniffing a Super Bowl kinda makes the fans impatient and surly. Phil is an idiot for even responding to emails from fans, that is what his PR dept. is for. Duh.
Then they (fans) should be used to it by now.I mean 40 years + thats' a long enough time to get used to it ...Actually, not winning a Football Championship is starting to get habit forming for the Browns


Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login