Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Houston Factoids

Houston Factoids

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
15 Posts 11 Posters 1.4k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
    • 57k Posts
    • 4k Reputation
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Factoids about Browns/Texans, and Houston in general:

    1. The Browns are 3-2 against the Houston Texans all time.

    2. These teams have never met in the playoffs.

    3. However, of course, Houston is the former home of long time Browns rival, the Houston Oilers before their move to Tennessee. The Browns were 30-22 against the Oilers while they played in Houston, but 0-1 in the playoffs, the only game being the 1988 Wildcard game the Oilers won 24-23.

    4. Career leaders for these Houston Texans:

    Passing yards and TDs: David Carr 13,391 and 59

    Rushing yards and TDs: Domanick Williams 3195 and 23

    Receiving yards, catches, TDs: Andre Johnson 442 catches for 5759 yds. and 28 TDs

    5. These "Texans" are in fact the third team to be known as the Texans. The other two were originally in Dallas. In 1952 the Dallas Texans were created in the NFL, but played just the one year. They went 1-11, they moved their final 2 home games to the Akron Rubber Bowl, then went defunct. Then there were the Dallas Texans of the AFL who began play in 1960. In 1962 they won the AFL Championship game, then immediately proceeded to jump ship and move to Kansas City, where today they operate as the Kansas City Chiefs.

    6. This particular version of the Texans, are frequently referred by Browns fans and other NFL fans as the "Dumbass Texans" or DATs in order to distinguish them from those prior Texans teams and to demonstrate how apparently totally lacking in imagination the people of Texas are for picking such an obvious bland name for their team, a name that has twice been used and discarded.

    7. There were other names considered for this franchise including Bobcats, Wildcatters, Apollos, and Stallions.

    8. In essence, the Modell asset relocation to Baltimore and the reactivation of the Browns franchise led directly to Houston getting their DATs. The NFL did not want to do business with the uneven number of franchises that it had for a couple of years (31) so they were determined to award a 32d franchise. The candidates back in 1999-2000 when they were making this decision were LA, Houston, and Toronto. They elected against going into Canada at that time. The NFL actually then awarded the 32d franchise to Los Angeles contingent on the city meeting certain conditions regarding stadium issues. But LA could not meet those conditions, and Houston, which had the financing in place for a new retractable dome stadium was then awarded #32.

    9. The Texans beat the Dallas Cowboys in the franchises very first NFL regular season game.

    10. The Texans hold the NFL record for fewest total offensive yards gained in a victory when in December of 2002 they defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers despite only gaining 46 yards of total offense.

    11. The Texans Amobi Okoye is the youngest person ever drafted in the history of the NFL draft going back to like 1935. He was only 19 when drafted in 2007, but, he had completed 3 years of college by that time.

    12. The City of Houston is the 4th largest in the country (behind NYC, LA, and Chicago), and has the 6th largest metropolitan area population.

    13. Houston was named after Sam Houston, the hero of the Texas Revolution against Mexico and the avenger of the Alamo at the Battle of San Jacinto where he obliterated the Mexican Army that had laid siege to the Alamo and captured Santa Ana.

    14. Houston is second behind New York as headquarter city for Fortune 500 companies.

    15. Houston is first in the US as a waterborn tonnage port.

    16. Where has all your money when paying up to $4.00 a gallon gone these last 8 years until recently? Houston is either international or domestic headquarters for Conoco oil, Shell Oil, Exxon-Mobile, Chevron, Marathon, Citgo. (Ist it a coincidence that it is the home of the Bush family? )

    17. Houston is the largest city in the US without zoning laws which has led to criticisms about sprawl and land use (e.g. chemical plants right next to schools).

    18. Notable people from Houston area: Walter Cronkite, Hilary Duff, Clint Black, Beyonce, Dennis Quaid...and his brothers, Dan Rather, Kenny Rogers, Jaclyn Smith, Patrick Swayze, Rene Zellwegger, Michael Dell, Howard Hughes, Red Adair, ZZTop, Anna Nicole Smith, Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryan, AJ Foyt, George Foreman.

    The Gipper

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
      • 57k Posts
      • 4k Reputation
      The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
      #2

      @shepwrite said:

      Holy crap. The city of Houston is that big? I often forget there IS a Houston. I don't know anybody FROM Houston. What do people do in Houston? Is it still oil?

      FYI, there are 46 cities in the US and 6 in Canada that are "Major League" cities, i.e. that have a team in one of the 4 "Major League" sports: MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL. This includes the newest: Oklahoma City.

      I have spent some significant time (at least a full day) of sightseeing in each of those cities EXCEPT Houston. I have only spent time in the Houston airport. From what I understand, if there is one city among all 52 that it would be OK to miss, it is Houston. I guess it is just a mess....though I admit there are a couple of things there I might like to see, like the Astrodome or the Johnson Space Center. And as far as I know, yes, they still employ a lot of people in the oil industry. Hopefully a lot of that money we have spent went to some people with regular jobs and not just into the pocket of the fat cat oil barons.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Pumpkin Eater P
        • 4k Posts
        • 297 Reputation
        P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Houston once had 500+ murders in a year

        :neutral_face:
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • alporcini alporciniA Posting Machine Very Popular Conversation Starter Dedicated Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 481 Posts
          • 161 Reputation
          alporciniA alporcini wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Houston is the single most charmless place I have ever been in my life. Ugly buildings. Ugly weather...

          It's like going to hell!

          The GipperT WVBrownsfanW F 3 Replies Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • alporciniA alporcini

            Houston is the single most charmless place I have ever been in my life. Ugly buildings. Ugly weather...

            It's like going to hell!

            The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
            • 57k Posts
            • 4k Reputation
            The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @alporcini said:

            Houston is the single most charmless place I have ever been in my life. Ugly buildings. Ugly weather...

            It's like going to hell!

            That is what I hear. I have why I haven't been in any hurry to go see much more of it. I have seen more of the likes of Green Bay, Oakland,....and even Pittsburgh and Baltimore, than Houston.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • Riffer X Riffer XR Very Popular Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 3k Posts
              • 127 Reputation
              Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by Riffer X
              #6

              18. Notable people from Houston area: Walter Cronkite, Hilary Duff, Clint Black, Beyonce, Dennis Quaid...and his brothers, Dan Rather, Kenny Rogers, Jaclyn Smith, Patrick Swayze, Rene Zellwegger, Michael Dell, Howard Hughes, Red Adair, ZZTop, Anna Nicole Smith, Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryan, AJ Foyt, George Foreman.

              Pieces

              Is a pig's ass pork?
              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • chubb C
                • 60 Posts
                • 0 Reputation
                C chubb wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @the-gipper said:

                12. The City of Houston is the 4th largest in the country (behind NYC, LA, and Chicago), and has the 6th largest metropolitan area population.

                While having the second lowest cost of living among major American cities... whoa.

                The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • alporcini alporciniA Posting Machine Very Popular Conversation Starter Dedicated Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 481 Posts
                  • 161 Reputation
                  alporciniA alporcini wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  About the only saving grace in Houston is it's the home of the original Carrabba's Italian Grill restaurant. Some of you may have eaten in the Carrabba's chain restaurants that Outback Steakhouse bought and turned into mass-market, Epcot-style Italian, but the original CIG on Kirby is some of the best Italian food I've eaten outside of Italy.

                  Sorry if I'm off topic, but I still dream about their chicken marsala... and Billy Gibbons is always there... damn, I love ZZ Top.

                  FurnierF 1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • alporciniA alporcini

                    About the only saving grace in Houston is it's the home of the original Carrabba's Italian Grill restaurant. Some of you may have eaten in the Carrabba's chain restaurants that Outback Steakhouse bought and turned into mass-market, Epcot-style Italian, but the original CIG on Kirby is some of the best Italian food I've eaten outside of Italy.

                    Sorry if I'm off topic, but I still dream about their chicken marsala... and Billy Gibbons is always there... damn, I love ZZ Top.

                    Furnier FurnierF
                    • 544 Posts
                    • 33 Reputation
                    FurnierF Furnier wrote on last edited by Furnier
                    #9

                    @alporcini said:

                    About the only saving grace in Houston is it's the home of the original Carrabba's Italian Grill restaurant. Some of you may have eaten in the Carrabba's chain restaurants that Outback Steakhouse bought and turned into mass-market, Epcot-style Italian, but the original CIG on Kirby is some of the best Italian food I've eaten outside of Italy.

                    Sorry if I'm off topic, but I still dream about their chicken marsala... and Billy Gibbons is always there... damn, I love ZZ Top.

                    Good call on Billy Gibbons. That guy's guitar tone is untouchable. He doesn't get the recognition that he deserves due to ZZ Top's latter day 'cartoonish' image. Those early ZZ Top albums are the shiznit. Tres Hombres roolz!

                    Doug

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • Mr. T Mr. TM
                      • 7k Posts
                      • 184 Reputation
                      Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @shepwrite said:

                      Holy crap. The city of Houston is that big? I often forget there IS a Houston. I don't know anybody FROM Houston. What do people do in Houston? Is it still oil?

                      yeah i used to live in that shit hole! and i dont ever want to go back there either!

                      its Oil! that whole city was built on oil Money!

                      Head or Gut?
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • alporciniA alporcini

                        Houston is the single most charmless place I have ever been in my life. Ugly buildings. Ugly weather...

                        It's like going to hell!

                        WVBrownsfan WVBrownsfanW
                        • 219 Posts
                        • 0 Reputation
                        WVBrownsfanW WVBrownsfan wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        @alporcini said:

                        Houston is the single most charmless place I have ever been in my life. Ugly buildings. Ugly weather...

                        It's like going to hell!

                        I thought that was Cincinnati ! 😆

                        R listercatL 2 Replies Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • C chubb

                          @the-gipper said:

                          12. The City of Houston is the 4th largest in the country (behind NYC, LA, and Chicago), and has the 6th largest metropolitan area population.

                          While having the second lowest cost of living among major American cities... whoa.

                          The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                          • 57k Posts
                          • 4k Reputation
                          The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @chubb said:

                          While having the second lowest cost of living among major American cities... whoa.

                          So you say. Where do you get your info? Just curious.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • WVBrownsfanW WVBrownsfan

                            @alporcini said:

                            Houston is the single most charmless place I have ever been in my life. Ugly buildings. Ugly weather...

                            It's like going to hell!

                            I thought that was Cincinnati ! 😆

                            rr59eagle R
                            • 88 Posts
                            • 0 Reputation
                            R rr59eagle wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @wvbrownsfan said:

                            I thought that was Cincinnati ! 😆

                            No Dude .... ..it's that shithole on Lake Erie known as "MISTAKE ON THE LAKE" 😆😆

                            Seriously ...A dying city with a decaying infrastructure (during a major Thunderstorm last summer , I saw toilets exploding in major Downtown Buildings because the sewer system is so messed up ), businesses ( and your football Team 😆 ) fleeing like rats on a sinking ship ----.High crime.... a school system that has been failing for years..... coupled with the lousiest weather you'd ever want to endure in the lower 48 😳 AND FINALLY ...a fanbase so starved for a winner ( no major sports Championships in 40+ years ) that even a shitty low talent football Team like this sorry group had everyone shouting SUPER BOWL before the season started ....Face it ..."Believeland "SUCKS 😆😆

                            You all DO keep the maker of KOOLAID in business though ...So you got that going for you 😆😆

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • alporciniA alporcini

                              Houston is the single most charmless place I have ever been in my life. Ugly buildings. Ugly weather...

                              It's like going to hell!

                              Farang F
                              • 87 Posts
                              • 0 Reputation
                              F Farang wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @alporcini said:

                              Houston is the single most charmless place I have ever been in my life. Ugly buildings. Ugly weather...

                              It's like going to hell!

                              Sounds like Detroit. 🙄

                              Marriage is the #1 cause of divorce. - Hans Ewert
                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • WVBrownsfanW WVBrownsfan

                                @alporcini said:

                                Houston is the single most charmless place I have ever been in my life. Ugly buildings. Ugly weather...

                                It's like going to hell!

                                I thought that was Cincinnati ! 😆

                                listercat listercatL
                                • 588 Posts
                                • 6 Reputation
                                listercatL listercat wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @wvbrownsfan said:

                                I thought that was Cincinnati ! 😆

                                Cincitucky is the arm pit of Hell that is for sure

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply

                                Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                Register Login
                                Reply
                                • Reply as topic
                                Log in to reply
                                • Oldest to Newest
                                • Newest to Oldest
                                • Most Votes


                                Theme
                                • System
                                • Light
                                • Dark
                                The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                • First post
                                  Last post
                                0
                                • Forums
                                • Recent
                                • Popular
                                • Users
                                • Donate