Skip to content

Lerner absent from owner meetings

The Browns Board
38 19 3.1k
  • @the-gipper said:

    Perhaps these are the sentiments you agree with:

    That is just to funny.

    But I do agree with some of you that we are better off having Holmgren there. I believe he has a better understanding of the game.

    @mr.-t said:

    That is just to funny.

    But I do agree with some of you that we are better off having Holmgren there. I believe he has a better understanding of the game.

    I have never figured out how to get these YouTube things to show up here, so I have just used the links. Thanks.

  • @mr.-t said:

    That is just to funny.

    But I do agree with some of you that we are better off having Holmgren there. I believe he has a better understanding of the game.

    I have never figured out how to get these YouTube things to show up here, so I have just used the links. Thanks.

    @the-gipper said:

    I have never figured out how to get these YouTube things to show up here, so I have just used the links. Thanks.

    [ ] youtube inside brackets

    after brackets, copy and paste the code after the 'V=" on the youtube link

    After the copy and paste [/] youtube after the slash and before the last bracket

  • I don't think we could have sent a better man to the meetings.... Including Randy himself.

  • I think when Holmgren went in for interviews last season he told Lerner he wouldn't work in the position he now has for an owner that would step in and make hands on decisions on any of the day to day stuff, maybe even told Lerner that there's a perception he had too much say in who plays and who doesn't. I think that's why we didn't see Lerner at any of the last 4 games before Holmgren "made his decision". Lerner not showing up to the owner meetings is a surprise though, maybe he's signaling to Holmgren that he's really supporting any decisions he makes at this point.

  • Maybe so.

  • @howiedawg said:

    Mr T, I wish he had NOTHING to do with our brand of football over here. I hate Aston Villa and all their fans - especially when I see some of them wearing Browns football shirts. I do not think it is healthy to abdicate complete responsibility of an NFL team - he is a ghost. He should have been at the owner's meeting no matter what anyone says.

    I hope Aston Villa crash and burn and he loses interest and gives up his ownership. I can't tell you how it breaks my heart to see those Johnny come lately Villa fans wearing browns shirts knowing nothing about the game / club / history / Cleveland.

    If it is any consolation to you Howie, I don't recall ever seeing any Browns fans wearing Aston Villa gear. Do you?

    (and just out of curiosity, why do you "hate" Aston Villa? Or at least hate them more than you do any other English futbol club?)

    @the-gipper said:

    If it is any consolation to you Howie, I don't recall ever seeing any Browns fans wearing Aston Villa gear. Do you?

    (and just out of curiosity, why do you "hate" Aston Villa? Or at least hate them more than you do any other English futbol club?)

    Hey there Gip,

    I have seen some Villa goons interviewed on the TV here wearing browns shirts - when asked why they just said we love Lerner for his TIME and investment and we wear them to show our appreciation. Its all bandwoggoning stuff, novelty for them. They won't wear them if he ditches the club or doesn't give the manager more money not to get into Europe again next season.

    I don't like Aston Villa because I have had some scary times at football matches with their fans - whilst not the worst behaved fans in the country, they have shown me to be pretty nasty in my experiences with them. I am also generally biased against anyone from Birningham - they talk with the most ridiculous accent in the country - they all sound thick. Ok, this is not objective and i am sure there are thousands of lovely "Brummies" about but at least I'm honest! 😉

    I would say on the Lerner thing though that there is a big difference between a controlling hands on owner and a shadow owner. The danger is that leaving too much unchecked power at the hands of a single person tends to skew resultant output of any organisation. I don't see much true drit and passion at Lerner's level (publicly at least) that makes me think he provides this level of check and balance in Cleveland. Conversely, the Villa fans love the dude.

    He has bouoght a mansion not too far from where I live, perhaps I'll go and pay him a visit wearing my Browns shirt BOUGHT IN DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND not F&&&ing Birmingham.

    As ever, I love the debates!

    H

  • @the-gipper said:

    If it is any consolation to you Howie, I don't recall ever seeing any Browns fans wearing Aston Villa gear. Do you?

    (and just out of curiosity, why do you "hate" Aston Villa? Or at least hate them more than you do any other English futbol club?)

    Hey there Gip,

    I have seen some Villa goons interviewed on the TV here wearing browns shirts - when asked why they just said we love Lerner for his TIME and investment and we wear them to show our appreciation. Its all bandwoggoning stuff, novelty for them. They won't wear them if he ditches the club or doesn't give the manager more money not to get into Europe again next season.

    I don't like Aston Villa because I have had some scary times at football matches with their fans - whilst not the worst behaved fans in the country, they have shown me to be pretty nasty in my experiences with them. I am also generally biased against anyone from Birningham - they talk with the most ridiculous accent in the country - they all sound thick. Ok, this is not objective and i am sure there are thousands of lovely "Brummies" about but at least I'm honest! 😉

    I would say on the Lerner thing though that there is a big difference between a controlling hands on owner and a shadow owner. The danger is that leaving too much unchecked power at the hands of a single person tends to skew resultant output of any organisation. I don't see much true drit and passion at Lerner's level (publicly at least) that makes me think he provides this level of check and balance in Cleveland. Conversely, the Villa fans love the dude.

    He has bouoght a mansion not too far from where I live, perhaps I'll go and pay him a visit wearing my Browns shirt BOUGHT IN DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND not F&&&ing Birmingham.

    As ever, I love the debates!

    H

    @howiedawg said:

    Hey there Gip,

    I have seen some Villa goons interviewed on the TV here wearing browns shirts - when asked why they just said we love Lerner for his TIME and investment and we wear them to show our appreciation. Its all bandwoggoning stuff, novelty for them. They won't wear them if he ditches the club or doesn't give the manager more money not to get into Europe again next season.

    I don't like Aston Villa because I have had some scary times at football matches with their fans - whilst not the worst behaved fans in the country, they have shown me to be pretty nasty in my experiences with them. I am also generally biased against anyone from Birningham - they talk with the most ridiculous accent in the country - they all sound thick. Ok, this is not objective and i am sure there are thousands of lovely "Brummies" about but at least I'm honest! 😉

    I would say on the Lerner thing though that there is a big difference between a controlling hands on owner and a shadow owner. The danger is that leaving too much unchecked power at the hands of a single person tends to skew resultant output of any organisation. I don't see much true drit and passion at Lerner's level (publicly at least) that makes me think he provides this level of check and balance in Cleveland. Conversely, the Villa fans love the dude.

    He has bouoght a mansion not too far from where I live, perhaps I'll go and pay him a visit wearing my Browns shirt BOUGHT IN DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND not F&&&ing Birmingham.

    As ever, I love the debates!

    H

    This is something that Browns fans have always speculated about: that being that Randy truly has more passion for his foreign Euro soccer team than he does for his home town football team. Some of us are concerned that it is just viewed as an investment for him, like so much stock in XYZ Corp. It appears that his failure to show up at the owner meetings, and sending Holmgren there in his place, and ceding much of the power and authority for the management of the team to Holmgren, and buying a big house in Frakking Birmingham all seem to confirm this.

    (though, in actuality, allowing Holmgren control is viewed as a good move....as long as Randy writes the checks).

    What did Randy do to endear the fair fans of Birmingham to him? Bring them a big winner? Nothing else will suffice here.

    By the way...if I were to have a team over there, it would probably be Liverpool for a couple of reasons: 1. That was my uncle's favorite team. He lived near Liverpool (On The Wirral). 2. Liverpool is often considered the Cleveland of Britain, or vice versa. They have a lot in common from their industrial/port backgrounds to their influence on music....Cleveland being where Rock n Roll started, Liverpool being perhaps R&Rs most fertile breeding ground.

    By inference then perhaps it could be said that Birmingham UK is the "Pittsburgh of England". (BTW, Birminingham, Alabama is sometimes called the "Pittsburgh of the South) The way you describe them sounds very much like Pisstown, from the bandwaggoning fans, to their boorish behavior, to their ridiculous accents, to their thickheadedness.

    Fair to say?

  • @howiedawg said:

    Hey there Gip,

    I have seen some Villa goons interviewed on the TV here wearing browns shirts - when asked why they just said we love Lerner for his TIME and investment and we wear them to show our appreciation. Its all bandwoggoning stuff, novelty for them. They won't wear them if he ditches the club or doesn't give the manager more money not to get into Europe again next season.

    I don't like Aston Villa because I have had some scary times at football matches with their fans - whilst not the worst behaved fans in the country, they have shown me to be pretty nasty in my experiences with them. I am also generally biased against anyone from Birningham - they talk with the most ridiculous accent in the country - they all sound thick. Ok, this is not objective and i am sure there are thousands of lovely "Brummies" about but at least I'm honest! 😉

    I would say on the Lerner thing though that there is a big difference between a controlling hands on owner and a shadow owner. The danger is that leaving too much unchecked power at the hands of a single person tends to skew resultant output of any organisation. I don't see much true drit and passion at Lerner's level (publicly at least) that makes me think he provides this level of check and balance in Cleveland. Conversely, the Villa fans love the dude.

    He has bouoght a mansion not too far from where I live, perhaps I'll go and pay him a visit wearing my Browns shirt BOUGHT IN DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND not F&&&ing Birmingham.

    As ever, I love the debates!

    H

    This is something that Browns fans have always speculated about: that being that Randy truly has more passion for his foreign Euro soccer team than he does for his home town football team. Some of us are concerned that it is just viewed as an investment for him, like so much stock in XYZ Corp. It appears that his failure to show up at the owner meetings, and sending Holmgren there in his place, and ceding much of the power and authority for the management of the team to Holmgren, and buying a big house in Frakking Birmingham all seem to confirm this.

    (though, in actuality, allowing Holmgren control is viewed as a good move....as long as Randy writes the checks).

    What did Randy do to endear the fair fans of Birmingham to him? Bring them a big winner? Nothing else will suffice here.

    By the way...if I were to have a team over there, it would probably be Liverpool for a couple of reasons: 1. That was my uncle's favorite team. He lived near Liverpool (On The Wirral). 2. Liverpool is often considered the Cleveland of Britain, or vice versa. They have a lot in common from their industrial/port backgrounds to their influence on music....Cleveland being where Rock n Roll started, Liverpool being perhaps R&Rs most fertile breeding ground.

    By inference then perhaps it could be said that Birmingham UK is the "Pittsburgh of England". (BTW, Birminingham, Alabama is sometimes called the "Pittsburgh of the South) The way you describe them sounds very much like Pisstown, from the bandwaggoning fans, to their boorish behavior, to their ridiculous accents, to their thickheadedness.

    Fair to say?

    @the-gipper said:

    This is something that Browns fans have always speculated about: that being that Randy truly has more passion for his foreign Euro soccer team than he does for his home town football team. Some of us are concerned that it is just viewed as an investment for him, like so much stock in XYZ Corp. It appears that his failure to show up at the owner meetings, and sending Holmgren there in his place, and ceding much of the power and authority for the management of the team to Holmgren, and buying a big house in Frakking Birmingham all seem to confirm this.

    (though, in actuality, allowing Holmgren control is viewed as a good move....as long as Randy writes the checks).

    What did Randy do to endear the fair fans of Birmingham to him? Bring them a big winner? Nothing else will suffice here.

    By the way...if I were to have a team over there, it would probably be Liverpool for a couple of reasons: 1. That was my uncle's favorite team. He lived near Liverpool (On The Wirral). 2. Liverpool is often considered the Cleveland of Britain, or vice versa. They have a lot in common from their industrial/port backgrounds to their influence on music....Cleveland being where Rock n Roll started, Liverpool being perhaps R&Rs most fertile breeding ground.

    By inference then perhaps it could be said that Birmingham UK is the "Pittsburgh of England". (BTW, Birminingham, Alabama is sometimes called the "Pittsburgh of the South) The way you describe them sounds very much like Pisstown, from the bandwaggoning fans, to their boorish behavior, to their ridiculous accents, to their thickheadedness.

    Fair to say?

    Gip you have it spot on. Birmingham is the Pisshole of England for sure. It's an awful city, broken, rotting, sprawling, crime ridden and filthy - you were so right!

    I don't like Scousers either though!! That's people from Liverpool, they are full of themselves and also have stupid accents! Plus every single person from Liverpool has at some time in their lives been arrested and convicted for steeling a car - it's genetic. 😉 LOL. To be honest, if you have a team over here you hate all other teams - it's like a unspoken rule!!

    Re Lerner, the fans like him because he has written lots of cheques and appointed a good manager, they have challenged well this season but are unlikely to get a spot in Europe next season. Unless they do in the next few seasons they will turn on Lerner, especially when he realises how overpriced mediocre talent is on the worldwide soccer market.

  • @the-gipper said:

    This is something that Browns fans have always speculated about: that being that Randy truly has more passion for his foreign Euro soccer team than he does for his home town football team. Some of us are concerned that it is just viewed as an investment for him, like so much stock in XYZ Corp. It appears that his failure to show up at the owner meetings, and sending Holmgren there in his place, and ceding much of the power and authority for the management of the team to Holmgren, and buying a big house in Frakking Birmingham all seem to confirm this.

    (though, in actuality, allowing Holmgren control is viewed as a good move....as long as Randy writes the checks).

    What did Randy do to endear the fair fans of Birmingham to him? Bring them a big winner? Nothing else will suffice here.

    By the way...if I were to have a team over there, it would probably be Liverpool for a couple of reasons: 1. That was my uncle's favorite team. He lived near Liverpool (On The Wirral). 2. Liverpool is often considered the Cleveland of Britain, or vice versa. They have a lot in common from their industrial/port backgrounds to their influence on music....Cleveland being where Rock n Roll started, Liverpool being perhaps R&Rs most fertile breeding ground.

    By inference then perhaps it could be said that Birmingham UK is the "Pittsburgh of England". (BTW, Birminingham, Alabama is sometimes called the "Pittsburgh of the South) The way you describe them sounds very much like Pisstown, from the bandwaggoning fans, to their boorish behavior, to their ridiculous accents, to their thickheadedness.

    Fair to say?

    Gip you have it spot on. Birmingham is the Pisshole of England for sure. It's an awful city, broken, rotting, sprawling, crime ridden and filthy - you were so right!

    I don't like Scousers either though!! That's people from Liverpool, they are full of themselves and also have stupid accents! Plus every single person from Liverpool has at some time in their lives been arrested and convicted for steeling a car - it's genetic. 😉 LOL. To be honest, if you have a team over here you hate all other teams - it's like a unspoken rule!!

    Re Lerner, the fans like him because he has written lots of cheques and appointed a good manager, they have challenged well this season but are unlikely to get a spot in Europe next season. Unless they do in the next few seasons they will turn on Lerner, especially when he realises how overpriced mediocre talent is on the worldwide soccer market.

    @howiedawg said:

    Gip you have it spot on. Birmingham is the Pisshole of England for sure. It's an awful city, broken, rotting, sprawling, crime ridden and filthy - you were so right!

    I don't like Scousers either though!! That's people from Liverpool, they are full of themselves and also have stupid accents! Plus every single person from Liverpool has at some time in their lives been arrested and convicted for steeling a car - it's genetic. 😉 LOL. To be honest, if you have a team over here you hate all other teams - it's like a unspoken rule!!

    Re Lerner, the fans like him because he has written lots of cheques and appointed a good manager, they have challenged well this season but are unlikely to get a spot in Europe next season. Unless they do in the next few seasons they will turn on Lerner, especially when he realises how overpriced mediocre talent is on the worldwide soccer market.

    Hey , you know that America fell in love with those Liverpudlian accents when spoken by the four famous lads from there.

    Also, note Howie that we here actually have no clue what "getting a spot in Europe next season" means. Is it one of those 'promotion/relegation' things?

  • @the-gipper said:

    I have never figured out how to get these YouTube things to show up here, so I have just used the links. Thanks.

    [ ] youtube inside brackets

    after brackets, copy and paste the code after the 'V=" on the youtube link

    After the copy and paste [/] youtube after the slash and before the last bracket

    @ballpeen said:

    [ ] youtube inside brackets

    after brackets, copy and paste the code after the 'V=" on the youtube link

    After the copy and paste [/] youtube after the slash and before the last bracket

    ex: link address> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE2wPoagEgQ&NR

    {youtube}jE2wPoagEgQ&NR{/youtube}

    but replace { } with [ ]

    whala get this:

  • @howiedawg said:

    Gip you have it spot on. Birmingham is the Pisshole of England for sure. It's an awful city, broken, rotting, sprawling, crime ridden and filthy - you were so right!

    I don't like Scousers either though!! That's people from Liverpool, they are full of themselves and also have stupid accents! Plus every single person from Liverpool has at some time in their lives been arrested and convicted for steeling a car - it's genetic. 😉 LOL. To be honest, if you have a team over here you hate all other teams - it's like a unspoken rule!!

    Re Lerner, the fans like him because he has written lots of cheques and appointed a good manager, they have challenged well this season but are unlikely to get a spot in Europe next season. Unless they do in the next few seasons they will turn on Lerner, especially when he realises how overpriced mediocre talent is on the worldwide soccer market.

    Hey , you know that America fell in love with those Liverpudlian accents when spoken by the four famous lads from there.

    Also, note Howie that we here actually have no clue what "getting a spot in Europe next season" means. Is it one of those 'promotion/relegation' things?

    @the-gipper said:

    Also, note Howie that we here actually have no clue what "getting a spot in Europe next season" means. Is it one of those 'promotion/relegation' things?

    thanks for asking, i didn't know either.

  • Learner brought Holmgren in here to build the organization. To have guys that can come in from lower positions as we go along. Just like in football I am sure he has guys below him that area learning the game and the position above them. He is not building one job he is building front office and a future.

  • If you have never seen Green Street Hooligans, I give it a big nod of approval.