Skip to content

Brett Ratliff's future

The Browns Board
15 11 1.6k
  • What you saw out of Ratliff last year was the fact he could throw the football a good distance and that he could do a good impersonation of a poor man's Derek Anderson. This is an imatation many of us would rather not ever see.

    Gotta agree with Riffer too, Bartel was better in training camp and if all things were fair , he would've made the team over Ratty.

  • I remember well before the draft (before Mangini was even fired) that a growing number of people in the Jets camp felt Ratliff was going to start for them week one after Favre left. I figured when we got him that maybe who knew, maybe he was that diamond in the rough. I'm still surprised (somewhat anyway) that Mangini didn't give him a start around week 9-10 because as the article states he really wanted this guy. But, it's time to move on. Maybe someone else sees that idea and we can get a little value for him.

  • Dammit, I just bought a Ratliff jersey!

  • lol

  • If Ratliff is still on the team, its because Mangini can't bear to lose his excellent coffee fetching abilities.

  • I would guess that Ratliff would be the odd man out. He clearly didn't show in a Cleveland uniform what he did in a Jet uni. That said, is it beyond the realm of possibility that he's traded out of town instead of just released?

  • I dont think they'll just release him, they'll bring him to training camp, maybe some body gets hurt and he makes the team. If not they'll put him on the practice squad and maybe somebody picks him up but I dont think they'll just release him

  • I dont think they'll just release him, they'll bring him to training camp, maybe some body gets hurt and he makes the team. If not they'll put him on the practice squad and maybe somebody picks him up but I dont think they'll just release him

    nmills said:

    I dont think they'll just release him, they'll bring him to training camp, maybe some body gets hurt and he makes the team. If not they'll put him on the practice squad and maybe somebody picks him up but I dont think they'll just release him

    I agree, ratty will be in camp...it never hurts to have extra competition and a potential backup should delhomme suffer pre-season injury however i look at ratty as 3 steps below DA and pretty much a waste of time and valuable roster space after a QB is drafted, ratty is an example of mangini's pet projects and his poor judgement when determining talent at QB so lets hope hecktard and MH dont bend to his incompetence in the offensive department..

  • IMO Ratliff's only job will be to throw balls during camp drills, so the real quarterbacks wont throw their arm out.

  • I dont think they'll just release him, they'll bring him to training camp, maybe some body gets hurt and he makes the team. If not they'll put him on the practice squad and maybe somebody picks him up but I dont think they'll just release him

    nmills said:

    I dont think they'll just release him, they'll bring him to training camp, maybe some body gets hurt and he makes the team. If not they'll put him on the practice squad and maybe somebody picks him up but I dont think they'll just release him

    They can't put him on the practice squad. Players cannot have played more than nine regular season games or been on the active roster for an entire year. I believe he was active the entire year.....he may have been active the entire year with the Jets.

  • nmills said:

    I dont think they'll just release him, they'll bring him to training camp, maybe some body gets hurt and he makes the team. If not they'll put him on the practice squad and maybe somebody picks him up but I dont think they'll just release him

    They can't put him on the practice squad. Players cannot have played more than nine regular season games or been on the active roster for an entire year. I believe he was active the entire year.....he may have been active the entire year with the Jets.

    @ballpeen said:

    They can't put him on the practice squad. Players cannot have played more than nine regular season games or been on the active roster for an entire year. I believe he was active the entire year.....he may have been active the entire year with the Jets.

    didnt no that, so if they do release him and if nobody picks him up then can he go to practice squad? Or is he just outta football untill somebody puts him on there roster

  • @ballpeen said:

    They can't put him on the practice squad. Players cannot have played more than nine regular season games or been on the active roster for an entire year. I believe he was active the entire year.....he may have been active the entire year with the Jets.

    didnt no that, so if they do release him and if nobody picks him up then can he go to practice squad? Or is he just outta football untill somebody puts him on there roster

    nmills said:

    didnt no that, so if they do release him and if nobody picks him up then can he go to practice squad? Or is he just outta football untill somebody puts him on there roster

    The rules don't start over if a player is cut and goes to a new team. Once you have accrued the above mentioned amount of experience, you are either a member of a team or you aren't.

  • I agree.

    You also have to consider injuries in other camps.

    It never hurts to have a player some other team might trade for, and that doesn't have to mean Ratliff...maybe Wallace.

    With all that goes on in camp, 4 qbs is no where near too many. In many camps teams will enlist the help of local HS QBs to help toss balls around. You have all sorts of drills that require someone throwing a football.