Skip to content

2010 Draft Sleepers

The Browns Board
25 15 2.5k
  • Joe Pawelek (MLB, Baylor, 6'-2", 240lbs) is a fifth-year player who has started 34 games in the past three years. He was first-team All-Big 12 in 2008, when he had 128 tackles and six interceptions. Pawelek has eight career interceptions, of which four came in the end zone. He is of the Chris Spielmen mold where prospects question whether he's big enough or fast enough, but the kids just uses his smarts to make plays.

    Projected to go in 6th-7th Round.

  • Forget the Sleepers.

    I hope, for a change, the Browns hit on the 'non-sleepers'. That would be a nice development.

  • Barry Church

    2009

    Named first-team All-MAC for the fourth time...First Rocket and just the third MAC player ever to achieve this...The other two MAC players were Bowling Green quarterback Brian McClure (1982-85) and Ohio punter Dave Zastudil (1998-2001)...The only other Rocket to make All-MAC four times was Nick Kaczur, now a starting offensive lineman with the New England Patriots...Kaczur was second-team as a freshman and first-team his sophomore through seniors seasons...Named one of 12 semifinalists for Jim Thorpe Award (top defensive back) on Nov. 3...Also on official watch lists for Bronco Nagurski Award (top defensive player)...Named first-team All-MAC by Phil Steele's Magazine...Named fourth-team All-America by Phil Steele on its mid-season All-America Team...Selected to play in the East-West Shrine Game...Tied for 12th in MAC and second on team with 98 tackles (8.2 per game)...Eight tackles, one sack, one forced fumble vs. Miami...Nine tackles, one TFL, one fuble recovery and one blocked kick vs. Temple...Blocked two kicks in 20-19 win over Northern Illinois, including potential game-tying field goal with 37 seconds left...Also had 12 tackles vs. Huskies...Named defensive back of the week by College Football Performance Awards for his performance vs. NIU...Had season-high 14 tackles and tied career best with 3.0 tackles for loss vs. Ball State...Earned honorable mention honors for defensive back of the week by College Football Performance Awards...12 tackles vs. Ohio State...Eight tackles, one interception and one pass breakup vs. Colorado.

    2008

    First-team All-MAC for the third straight year...Second on team and 15th in MAC with 7.8 tackles per game...Led team with six passes broken up and three forced fumbles...10 tackles, one TFL and one forced fumble vs. Miami...10 tackles and first interception of the season vs. WMU...Nine tackles and one TFL in 13-10 win over Michigan...Six tackles vs. Ball State...Seven tackles vs, FIU...10 tackles, one forced fumble, one TFL and one pass broken up vs. Fresno State...Led team with 10 tackles vs. EMU...Tied for team lead with seven tackles vs. Arizona.

    2007

    First-team All-MAC for the second straight year...Third on team and tied for 18th in MAC with 92 tackles...Also second on team with 6.0 tackles for loss...Tied for team lead with three interceptions and had four pass breakups...Led team with a career-high 19 tackles, including three tackles-for-loss, vs. Iowa State on Sept. 22...His 19 stops were the most by a Rocket since Tom Ward had 22 stops vs. Ball State on Oct.12, 2002, and the 12th-most in the country last season...Led team with 13 tackles vs. WMU on Sept. 29...Also had an interception vs. WMU...Named No. 20 strong safety in the nation by Phil Steele’s College Football magazine.

    2006

    First-team All-MAC...Named second-team Freshman All-America by The Sporting News and by Scout.com...Placed third in balloting for MAC Freshman of the Year...Led Rockets with four interceptions...Ran back two picks for touchdowns, tying a school record...Second on team with 71 tackles...Led team with 10 tackles in Iowa State and WMU games...Ran back an interception 84 yards for a fourth-quarter TD in 37-31 2OT win over Kansas...Also recovered a KU fumble in the second OT...Ran back a 31-yard INT vs. Bowling Green...Had an interception and two pass breakups against Akron.

  • Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona

    Pat Angerer, ILB, Iowa

    Carlton Mitchell, WR, South Florida

    Jason Fox, OT, Miami

  • Forget the Sleepers.

    I hope, for a change, the Browns hit on the 'non-sleepers'. That would be a nice development.

    @chicopee-john said:

    Forget the Sleepers.

    I hope, for a change, the Browns hit on the 'non-sleepers'. That would be a nice development.

    I just hope that our scouts have done their homework prior to the draft

    But who knows maybe one of these draft picks might be able to catch a football.

    That would be a success all in itself.

  • Freddie Barnes, WR, Bowling Green State University

    Runs great routes, has great hands and decent speed. Definately worth a look in mid-to-later rounds.

    @clevelandbigdawg said:

    Freddie Barnes, WR, Bowling Green State University

    Runs great routes, has great hands and decent speed. Definately worth a look in mid-to-later rounds.

    I am also a HUGE fan of Freddie Barnes. The young man, as stated, has great hands, runs solid routes, & is NOT afraid to go over the middle. Something a kid either has or doesn't have is the ability to NOT hear footsteps! Watch how many times Freddie goes UP over the middle, knowing he's going to get plastered, & comes down with the ball. IMHO, he may be the most under-rated WR in the draft. I would definitely spend a 3rd rounder on him.

    Mike

  • Eric Decker WR. Minnesota

    Matt Mayberry LB. Indiana

    Trindon Holliday PR/WR LSU

    Arthur Jones DT Syracuse

  • Joe Pawelek (MLB, Baylor, 6'-2", 240lbs) is a fifth-year player who has started 34 games in the past three years. He was first-team All-Big 12 in 2008, when he had 128 tackles and six interceptions. Pawelek has eight career interceptions, of which four came in the end zone. He is of the Chris Spielmen mold where prospects question whether he's big enough or fast enough, but the kids just uses his smarts to make plays.

    Projected to go in 6th-7th Round.

    @atenears said:

    Joe Pawelek (MLB, Baylor, 6'-2", 240lbs) is a fifth-year player who has started 34 games in the past three years. He was first-team All-Big 12 in 2008, when he had 128 tackles and six interceptions. Pawelek has eight career interceptions, of which four came in the end zone. He is of the Chris Spielmen mold where prospects question whether he's big enough or fast enough, but the kids just uses his smarts to make plays.

    Projected to go in 6th-7th Round.

    +1

  • @clevelandbigdawg said:

    Freddie Barnes, WR, Bowling Green State University

    Runs great routes, has great hands and decent speed. Definately worth a look in mid-to-later rounds.

    I am also a HUGE fan of Freddie Barnes. The young man, as stated, has great hands, runs solid routes, & is NOT afraid to go over the middle. Something a kid either has or doesn't have is the ability to NOT hear footsteps! Watch how many times Freddie goes UP over the middle, knowing he's going to get plastered, & comes down with the ball. IMHO, he may be the most under-rated WR in the draft. I would definitely spend a 3rd rounder on him.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    I am also a HUGE fan of Freddie Barnes. The young man, as stated, has great hands, runs solid routes, & is NOT afraid to go over the middle. Something a kid either has or doesn't have is the ability to NOT hear footsteps! Watch how many times Freddie goes UP over the middle, knowing he's going to get plastered, & comes down with the ball. IMHO, he may be the most under-rated WR in the draft. I would definitely spend a 3rd rounder on him.

    Mike

    I love Freddie Barnes as well, and BGSU is also my favorite college football team so I may be a little biased. I am going to be going to school there next year so unfortunately I am not going to be able to watch him.

    Some others from BGSU that may go lik 6-7 round or undrafted.

    Tyler Sheehan, QB, BGSU, he has the NFL size, but never really threw the ball down the field so I dont know how his arm strength is.

    PJ Mahone, S, BGSU, he is a little small, height-wise at 5-11 195 lbs, but the dude is jacked and pretty athletic. He could have been a 5th - 7th round pick but he got into trouble and was suspended from the team and is now probably going to be undrafted. I would take a look as an UDFA for sure though.

  • Tony Moeaki, TE, Iowa

    This TE is one of the best the Big Ten has ever seen. Hampered with injuries, he still managed to pull off statistics that were unbelievable

    Alterraun Verner, CB, UCLA

    I like these guys and feel they could be a great addition for us. They are football players and not combine track stars.

    @siperbowl said:

    Tony Moeaki, TE, Iowa

    This TE is one of the best the Big Ten has ever seen. Hampered with injuries, he still managed to pull off statistics that were unbelievable

    Alterraun Verner, CB, UCLA

    I like these guys and feel they could be a great addition for us. They are football players and not combine track stars.

    lets go with the obvious for a minute probly the best project guy in the draft would be D2 superstar Jarad Veldheer.

    "He's just a really good athlete and has all the ability to play left tackle in this league," Cleveland Browns general manager Tom Heckert said. "He can play, I really think he can. And I really think he's going to go relatively early in the draft."

    Heckert has a special place in his heart for Veldheer.

    He went to Hillsdale, too.

    "I've not spoken to Tom Heckert yet," Veldheer said with a grin. "But that's a meeting that has to happen."

  • I had Veldheer in the second round of one of my dumb, wrong drafts.

    He would be a great, great pick, and I think that is the second round.

  • Main > 2010 Big Board > Joique Bell

    http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/...oique-Bell.html

    School: Wayne State (MI)

    Position: RB

    Class: 2010 Big Board

    Year: Senior

    Hometown: Benton Harbor, MI

    Date of Birth: 08.04.86

    Height: 5107

    Weight: 223

    40 T: 4.52

    Projection: 6th Round

    Ordering: 188

    Audio Interview -- On Location (Scouting Combine) -- LISTEN

    Audio Interview -- Player Spotlight (February) -- LISTEN

    Audio Interview -- Player Spotlight (01.15.10) -- LISTEN

    Skinny: Bell had two monster first seasons and then tapered off as a junior due to injuries. He has been named an All-American twice and is a three-time 1st team All-GLIAC selection. He rushed for 1,152 yards and 12 touchdowns as a junior and has the size and speed to be a productive big back at the next level. Keep tabs on Bell as he could have a huge senior campaign.

    01.29.10 - The Lions' coaches are leading the North, and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan noticed Joique Bell the first day. "He's got a no-nonsense kind of approach to the game," Linehan said. "He said, 'I understand this play. I'm going to go get 4 yards.' And I like that. He's consistent. This is not a big stage to him. He fits right in." What about Bell's burst? He worked with a trainer in the Bay Area for two weeks before the Senior Bowl and will return for three weeks before the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis next month. He said he can run the 40-yard dash in the 4.4-second range consistently and as low as 4.39. He hopes to lower that to 4.32. "I've got tunnel vision," Bell said. "It won't be a problem for me to stay focused." – Detroit Free Press

    Senior Bowl: Joique Bell (Wayne State) is generating a lot of positive buzz here in Mobile. He is very explosvie, and does a good job of picking and sliding to the proper hole. He showed big play ability today with a couple of big runs where he would juke someone in the hole and go. – Draft Guys (01.26.10)

    01.26.10 - There's a good chance you have never heard of running back Joique Bell or his school, NCAA Division II's Wayne State University. And while he hopes to garner a name for himself and recognition for his school through his play and work this week at the Senior Bowl, he is most interested in impressing the NFL scouts who already know about his abilities. It's their interest in seeing how he measures up against strong competition, Bell believes, that led to his invitation to Mobile and the week-long job interview. "This is a big opportunity, a big step, not just for me but for other Division II players," said the 6-foot-1, 223-pound Bell. "If I can perform and prove to everybody that Division II players can stand out in this game against good competition, it will prove a point. It will prove that Division II players have talent. It will also be good for Wayne State. "There's some pressure, but I've had pressure and expectations all of my life. This game is a big part in deciding my whole life from here. I'm taking that seriously." - Mobile Press-Register

    Senior Bowl: Joique Bell (Wayne State): Bell is a runner with sturdy legs and a strong core. He demonstrated a good straight-line burst. I thought he didn't look as fast as the best backs in the agility drills and his receiving skills seemed a little raw today because he had a few rough plays. In the 11-on-11 drills, he showed good technique running with good pad level. He didn't stand out to me, but the full contact drills should be more telling. – Draft Guys (01.25.10)

    12.25.09 - Bell was automatically invited to the Senior Bowl as the Harlon Hill Award winner. Bell feels the key to his success at the combine will be improving his 40-yard dash time, currently listed at 4.54. "I've run 4.4's before, but that time listed on most internet sites is a combination of times," explained Bell, who has hired an agent (Manville Trice) and a personal trainer (Thomas Weatherspoon) to help prepare him for what lies ahead. Bell ran for 2,084 yards and 29 touchdowns this season. He also caught 23 passes for 293 yards and three TDs. At the end of the Division II season, Bell led all four NCAA divisions in rushing yards per game (189.45), scoring (17.5 points per game) and all-purpose yards (217.5 per game). He was also named the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Player of the Year. He is a four-year all-league selection and finished his career with 6,728 rushing yards, sixth best in Division II history and eighth best in NCAA history for all divisions. - Herald Palladium

  • Joique Bell what a nice find

  • Joique Bell what a nice find

    Height: 5'11". Weight: 220 lbs. Arm Length: 31 1/2 in. Hand Size: 9 in.

    TOP PERFORMER IN; Vertical jump | Broad jump | 3-cone drill | 20-yard shuttle | 60-yard shuttle COMBINE RESULTS

    The only thing I could find on Jarad Veldheer is here.

    VELDHEER COMBINE VIDEO Good hips.

    Pat Angerer

    TOP PERFORMER IN Bench press | 20-yard shuttle COMBINE RESULTS

  • I've been high on UGA LB Rennie Curran as of lately

    Here's the best highlight video I could find of him on youtube

  • I've been high on UGA LB Rennie Curran as of lately

    Here's the best highlight video I could find of him on youtube

    @floridabrownsfan said:

    I've been high on UGA LB Rennie Curran as of lately

    Here's the best highlight video I could find of him on youtube

    Love him, if he was 2 inches taller he'd be a first round prospect

  • Curious - Opinions on Jonathon Dwyer out of Georgia Tech ??

    Young, entering draft, forgoing senior year.

    Thoughts ??...

  • I've been high on UGA LB Rennie Curran as of lately

    Here's the best highlight video I could find of him on youtube

    @floridabrownsfan said:

    I've been high on UGA LB Rennie Curran as of lately

    Here's the best highlight video I could find of him on youtube

    He's a player for sure! Unfortunately, LB skills & Safety size...Can he cover?, speed?

    Mike

  • @floridabrownsfan said:

    I've been high on UGA LB Rennie Curran as of lately

    Here's the best highlight video I could find of him on youtube

    He's a player for sure! Unfortunately, LB skills & Safety size...Can he cover?, speed?

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    He's a player for sure! Unfortunately, LB skills & Safety size...Can he cover?, speed?

    Mike

    He's about the same size as DQ when he came out maybe a hair shorter. 5'11" 225lbs ran a 4.7 at combine same as DQ but hes been clocked faster and looks alot faster on film. Guys a beast in the weightroom, only 21 maybe he'll grow an inch..lol He has great instincts and very explosive at the point of contact. You put him behind the right DL and he'll be a monster.

    This is before he even starting playing for UGA, Im sure he's gotten much stronger since then

  • Curious - Opinions on Jonathon Dwyer out of Georgia Tech ??

    Young, entering draft, forgoing senior year.

    Thoughts ??...

    @kosarfan said:

    Curious - Opinions on Jonathon Dwyer out of Georgia Tech ??

    Young, entering draft, forgoing senior year.

    Thoughts ??...

    I absolutely love Jonathan Dwyer but he would probably have to fall to us in the 3rd for us to get him. I heard his interview on Sirius NFL network and was impressed. What was the most impressive thing was he squats 700 lbs!!!! Dude is gonna be a stud, there is no RB in the draft that can squat that much let alone lineman