Skip to content

WR???

The Browns Board
50 19 6.6k
  • I'm not happy with our current WR corp at all ... glad someone created this thread it was going to be my next topic to start.

    Stuckey and the small role he fills is the only aspect of our current core that I'm ok with. MoMass is in my dog house for the wy he gives up on passes not thrown into his bread basket, this kid needs to get much more hungry and fight for every pass. I didn't want to draft Robo and his play last year has cemented those feelings about him. Steptoe is a dime a dozen and Cribbs is a P/K returner ... still.

    We suck at where we currently stand at WR, it is our weakest link today.

  • I think when it is all said and done we will sign a vet.....your boy holt works, as well as draft a rookie.

    Riley Cooper would be good in the 3rd round range and Andre Roberts would be a great selection with one of the 5th rounders.

    Cooper could be a bit of a risk depending where he gets selected in the baseball draft in June.

  • Everyone thought Joe Jurevicius was the key to our successful passing game in 2007, as he was consistient, ran clean patterns and made catches and moved the chains.

    Jurevicius had 50 receptions for 614 yards in 2007.

    Torry Holt had 51 receptions for 722 yards last season, it one too many are eager to point to as a down year and a sloping curve toward retirement. The guy can still be productive. He has missed only 3-games in 11 seasons and is consistient as hell.

    Torry Holt could mentor Robo into the next Joe Jurevicius.

    Did I mention that I'm homo for Torry Holt?

  • You didn't have to mention it. I can read it loud and clear. 😉

  • I know something about WR's and believe me, Torry Holt would be a great fit here.

  • Zombo said:

    How many washed-up receivers did Indy and New Orleans rely on last year?

    Zombo

    Does Jeremy Shockey count?

    Do we have a pair of first round draft picks such as Reggie Wayne & Dallas Clark? Can we hit it out of the park with late rounders such as Colston & Pierre Garcon? Perhaps that part had something to do with the QB's?

    Reggie Wayne was in his 9th season, I think Amani Toomer was about 40yrs old when the Giants won it. (I won't mention Plaxico Burress and ruin your re-tread reply)

    I see no one on the Browns roster who mirrors any one of the above mentioned. No late rounders who stepped up, hell not even the pair of second rounders stepped up. Certainly no first rounders, so exactly how are we mimiking the Saints or Colts there?

    Which P/K returner did the Colts line up wide?

  • What does everyone think of bringing in a vet WR????

    Right now we have the following Wrs on the roster

    MoMass

    Robo

    Sedric Steptoe

    Chansi Stuckey

    Josh Cribbs

    I think this crew is pretty thin. Aside from MoMass we have no real threat at WR. verdict is still out on ROBO and I personally think Stuckey can be a decent NFL WR. Cribbs is obviously a great special teamer and a specialty player on offense but doesn't crack it as a WR. I am also not high on any of the projected first rounders in the draft nor would I wanna gamble with the 7 on a Dez Bryant or trade back into the mid to late first and part with more picks to do so.

    The most notable vets on the market are ...

    Kevin Curtis

    Torry Holt

    Marty Booker

    Laverneous Coles

    Malcom Floyd

    Joey Galloway

    Musin Muhammad

    Terrell Owens

    Josh Reed

    Kelly Washington

    Out of those vets there is nothing really spectacular, but with a small price tag I wouldn't mind seeing a few of those guys come in to help both on the field and with mentoring the younger guys we have.

    Torry Holt is the one who sticks out the most, but I also wouldn't hate seeing Kevin Curtis or Kelly Washington given a shot.

    What does everyone else think about the state of out WRs?

    @jnuh said:

    What does everyone think of bringing in a vet WR????

    Right now we have the following Wrs on the roster

    MoMass

    Robo

    Sedric Steptoe

    Chansi Stuckey

    Josh Cribbs

    I think this crew is pretty thin. Aside from MoMass we have no real threat at WR. verdict is still out on ROBO and I personally think Stuckey can be a decent NFL WR. Cribbs is obviously a great special teamer and a specialty player on offense but doesn't crack it as a WR. I am also not high on any of the projected first rounders in the draft nor would I wanna gamble with the 7 on a Dez Bryant or trade back into the mid to late first and part with more picks to do so.

    The most notable vets on the market are ...

    Kevin Curtis

    Torry Holt

    Marty Booker

    Laverneous Coles

    Malcom Floyd

    Joey Galloway

    Musin Muhammad

    Terrell Owens

    Josh Reed

    Kelly Washington

    Out of those vets there is nothing really spectacular, but with a small price tag I wouldn't mind seeing a few of those guys come in to help both on the field and with mentoring the younger guys we have.

    Torry Holt is the one who sticks out the most, but I also wouldn't hate seeing Kevin Curtis or Kelly Washington given a shot.

    What does everyone else think about the state of out WRs?

    Out of what we have on the roster, these guys would have a hard time even being a 3 or 4 WR on any good team.

  • Holt will be guy looked at after the draft IMO. Depending on what we get there he could be useful here. He is a top notch character guy who would serve as a great mentor for the younger guys and give us solid depth, not as a primary guy.

    I would not be against bringing him in if we decide to go elsewhere in the draft.

  • Zombo said:

    You never did tell us why you are an expert on wide receivers, Todd, but the fact that you don't seem to realize that Jeremy Shockey is a tight end does explain a few things.

    Torry Holt will be 34 this Season, is coming off the worst year in his career and did not score a single TD last year.

    We are a young team sporting two second-year receivers with plenty of room to grow.

    What better way to stifle that growth than to bring in a washed-up guy with absolutely no future to take aways some of their balls.

    I have to say ... It's a plan of sheer genius.

    Maybe we should bring Mike Baab back so Alex Mack can sit and watch him for a year.

    Zombo

    Bringing in a vet is a good move. It won't stunt the growth of the kids it will help. They need leadership and guidance and it won't hurt to have a sure handed wr such as holt. Especially when no one on our roster has showed much life
  • When the hell did we bring back Steptoe? I thought we canned his ass after he was talkin shit last year.

  • When the hell did we bring back Steptoe? I thought we canned his ass after he was talkin shit last year.

    @dawgpoundpitt said:

    When the hell did we bring back Steptoe? I thought we canned his ass after he was talkin shit last year.

    I'm with you on that, I think I posted the same thing a month or so back.

  • When the hell did we bring back Steptoe? I thought we canned his ass after he was talkin shit last year.

    @dawgpoundpitt said:

    When the hell did we bring back Steptoe? I thought we canned his ass after he was talkin shit last year.

    You didn't hear? Some Zombo-the-clown guy here is eager to see chumps like Steptoe struggle to get off the line of scrimmage, instead of bringing in a Vet to move the chains, mentor the younger guys on work ethic, and learn how to be a pro. He don't understand how a solid possession receiver actually creates more reps for guys like Momass to give up on extra plays.

  • that veteran WR fa list is awful. thank god that we have ben watson and momass to throw to this year.

    i still don't know why we didn't pursue chris chambers after the bolts released him last year.

  • What about deion branch? Seattle has been trying to unload him for awhile.

  • Holt was on pace with Jerry Rice a good way into his career. They also shared the same kind of work ethic, I think Holt is one who can really turn it on in his elder years, find that second wind and give someone very steady production.

    @atenears said:

    Holt was on pace with Jerry Rice a good way into his career. They also shared the same kind of work ethic, I think Holt is one who can really turn it on in his elder years, find that second wind and give someone very steady production.

    Torry Holt is definately the guy we need. A great receiver even though he has fell off a little. And one of the classiest players in the NFL. He would be a great addition to the locker room.

  • man when can we get off this shit of bringing in some old ass guy to be a mentor. don't we have coaches for that? why pay a guy to sit and pat a kid on the head? let's see what the draft brings and let all those bums on the FA WR list go elsewhere.

  • man when can we get off this shit of bringing in some old ass guy to be a mentor. don't we have coaches for that? why pay a guy to sit and pat a kid on the head? let's see what the draft brings and let all those bums on the FA WR list go elsewhere.

    @miktoxic said:

    man when can we get off this shit of bringing in some old ass guy to be a mentor. don't we have coaches for that? why pay a guy to sit and pat a kid on the head? let's see what the draft brings and let all those bums on the FA WR list go elsewhere.

    Jerome Harrison would be serving as the director of youth activities at the recreation center of his home town of Kalamzoo, had it not been for the mentoring of Jamal Lewis.

  • @miktoxic said:

    man when can we get off this shit of bringing in some old ass guy to be a mentor. don't we have coaches for that? why pay a guy to sit and pat a kid on the head? let's see what the draft brings and let all those bums on the FA WR list go elsewhere.

    Jerome Harrison would be serving as the director of youth activities at the recreation center of his home town of Kalamzoo, had it not been for the mentoring of Jamal Lewis.

    @atenears said:

    Jerome Harrison would be serving as the director of youth activities at the recreation center of his home town of Kalamzoo, had it not been for the mentoring of Jamal Lewis.

    Good point. Although Bernie didn't do a very good job with our QB corp last season, all three were ousted, in addition to himself.

  • I found stole this blurb from the wire:

    "Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi(notes) is using the offseason conditioning program to get stronger. Massaquoi tied for the team lead with 34 catches last season.

    “(I’m) just trying to gain some weight and get a little bit faster, understand the game better,” he told Cleveland Browns.com. “You watch some of the older guys play and they don’t have the abilities that they used to have, but they’re so smart and so sound and so technical that it makes up for all of that.”

    Team president Mike Holmgren said he likes the way Massaquoi played in 2009, but he wants to find a speedy receiver in the draft."

    First of all it mentions that Momass even recognizes that veteran receivers that have lost their speed, make up for it by being smart and "so technical" that it makes up for it.

    Secondly, it hints at Holmgren seeking that speedy receiver that some here have noted.

    So, it is safe to say that EVERYONE is right in this thread.

    Peace-out!!!

  • So, how do you link drafting a speedy receiver to holt?

    Didn't they say....again....in the conference call that this all-important mentor at wr is not important in their minds? Is a vet mentor necessary at every single position?

    Perhaps, mentors get overrated....