Skip to content

WR???

The Browns Board
50 19 6.6k
  • What does everyone think of bringing in a vet WR????

    Right now we have the following Wrs on the roster

    MoMass

    Robo

    Sedric Steptoe

    Chansi Stuckey

    Josh Cribbs

    I think this crew is pretty thin. Aside from MoMass we have no real threat at WR. verdict is still out on ROBO and I personally think Stuckey can be a decent NFL WR. Cribbs is obviously a great special teamer and a specialty player on offense but doesn't crack it as a WR. I am also not high on any of the projected first rounders in the draft nor would I wanna gamble with the 7 on a Dez Bryant or trade back into the mid to late first and part with more picks to do so.

    The most notable vets on the market are ...

    Kevin Curtis

    Torry Holt

    Marty Booker

    Laverneous Coles

    Malcom Floyd

    Joey Galloway

    Musin Muhammad

    Terrell Owens

    Josh Reed

    Kelly Washington

    Out of those vets there is nothing really spectacular, but with a small price tag I wouldn't mind seeing a few of those guys come in to help both on the field and with mentoring the younger guys we have.

    Torry Holt is the one who sticks out the most, but I also wouldn't hate seeing Kevin Curtis or Kelly Washington given a shot.

    What does everyone else think about the state of out WRs?

    @jnuh said:

    What does everyone think of bringing in a vet WR????

    Right now we have the following Wrs on the roster

    MoMass

    Robo

    Sedric Steptoe

    Chansi Stuckey

    Josh Cribbs

    I think this crew is pretty thin. Aside from MoMass we have no real threat at WR. verdict is still out on ROBO and I personally think Stuckey can be a decent NFL WR. Cribbs is obviously a great special teamer and a specialty player on offense but doesn't crack it as a WR. I am also not high on any of the projected first rounders in the draft nor would I wanna gamble with the 7 on a Dez Bryant or trade back into the mid to late first and part with more picks to do so.

    The most notable vets on the market are ...

    Kevin Curtis

    Torry Holt

    Marty Booker

    Laverneous Coles

    Malcom Floyd

    Joey Galloway

    Musin Muhammad

    Terrell Owens

    Josh Reed

    Kelly Washington

    Out of those vets there is nothing really spectacular, but with a small price tag I wouldn't mind seeing a few of those guys come in to help both on the field and with mentoring the younger guys we have.

    Torry Holt is the one who sticks out the most, but I also wouldn't hate seeing Kevin Curtis or Kelly Washington given a shot.

    What does everyone else think about the state of out WRs?

    Out of what we have on the roster, these guys would have a hard time even being a 3 or 4 WR on any good team.

  • Holt will be guy looked at after the draft IMO. Depending on what we get there he could be useful here. He is a top notch character guy who would serve as a great mentor for the younger guys and give us solid depth, not as a primary guy.

    I would not be against bringing him in if we decide to go elsewhere in the draft.

  • Zombo said:

    You never did tell us why you are an expert on wide receivers, Todd, but the fact that you don't seem to realize that Jeremy Shockey is a tight end does explain a few things.

    Torry Holt will be 34 this Season, is coming off the worst year in his career and did not score a single TD last year.

    We are a young team sporting two second-year receivers with plenty of room to grow.

    What better way to stifle that growth than to bring in a washed-up guy with absolutely no future to take aways some of their balls.

    I have to say ... It's a plan of sheer genius.

    Maybe we should bring Mike Baab back so Alex Mack can sit and watch him for a year.

    Zombo

    Bringing in a vet is a good move. It won't stunt the growth of the kids it will help. They need leadership and guidance and it won't hurt to have a sure handed wr such as holt. Especially when no one on our roster has showed much life
  • When the hell did we bring back Steptoe? I thought we canned his ass after he was talkin shit last year.

  • When the hell did we bring back Steptoe? I thought we canned his ass after he was talkin shit last year.

    @dawgpoundpitt said:

    When the hell did we bring back Steptoe? I thought we canned his ass after he was talkin shit last year.

    I'm with you on that, I think I posted the same thing a month or so back.

  • When the hell did we bring back Steptoe? I thought we canned his ass after he was talkin shit last year.

    @dawgpoundpitt said:

    When the hell did we bring back Steptoe? I thought we canned his ass after he was talkin shit last year.

    You didn't hear? Some Zombo-the-clown guy here is eager to see chumps like Steptoe struggle to get off the line of scrimmage, instead of bringing in a Vet to move the chains, mentor the younger guys on work ethic, and learn how to be a pro. He don't understand how a solid possession receiver actually creates more reps for guys like Momass to give up on extra plays.

  • that veteran WR fa list is awful. thank god that we have ben watson and momass to throw to this year.

    i still don't know why we didn't pursue chris chambers after the bolts released him last year.

  • What about deion branch? Seattle has been trying to unload him for awhile.

  • Holt was on pace with Jerry Rice a good way into his career. They also shared the same kind of work ethic, I think Holt is one who can really turn it on in his elder years, find that second wind and give someone very steady production.

    @atenears said:

    Holt was on pace with Jerry Rice a good way into his career. They also shared the same kind of work ethic, I think Holt is one who can really turn it on in his elder years, find that second wind and give someone very steady production.

    Torry Holt is definately the guy we need. A great receiver even though he has fell off a little. And one of the classiest players in the NFL. He would be a great addition to the locker room.

  • man when can we get off this shit of bringing in some old ass guy to be a mentor. don't we have coaches for that? why pay a guy to sit and pat a kid on the head? let's see what the draft brings and let all those bums on the FA WR list go elsewhere.

  • man when can we get off this shit of bringing in some old ass guy to be a mentor. don't we have coaches for that? why pay a guy to sit and pat a kid on the head? let's see what the draft brings and let all those bums on the FA WR list go elsewhere.

    @miktoxic said:

    man when can we get off this shit of bringing in some old ass guy to be a mentor. don't we have coaches for that? why pay a guy to sit and pat a kid on the head? let's see what the draft brings and let all those bums on the FA WR list go elsewhere.

    Jerome Harrison would be serving as the director of youth activities at the recreation center of his home town of Kalamzoo, had it not been for the mentoring of Jamal Lewis.

  • @miktoxic said:

    man when can we get off this shit of bringing in some old ass guy to be a mentor. don't we have coaches for that? why pay a guy to sit and pat a kid on the head? let's see what the draft brings and let all those bums on the FA WR list go elsewhere.

    Jerome Harrison would be serving as the director of youth activities at the recreation center of his home town of Kalamzoo, had it not been for the mentoring of Jamal Lewis.

    @atenears said:

    Jerome Harrison would be serving as the director of youth activities at the recreation center of his home town of Kalamzoo, had it not been for the mentoring of Jamal Lewis.

    Good point. Although Bernie didn't do a very good job with our QB corp last season, all three were ousted, in addition to himself.

  • I found stole this blurb from the wire:

    "Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi(notes) is using the offseason conditioning program to get stronger. Massaquoi tied for the team lead with 34 catches last season.

    “(I’m) just trying to gain some weight and get a little bit faster, understand the game better,” he told Cleveland Browns.com. “You watch some of the older guys play and they don’t have the abilities that they used to have, but they’re so smart and so sound and so technical that it makes up for all of that.”

    Team president Mike Holmgren said he likes the way Massaquoi played in 2009, but he wants to find a speedy receiver in the draft."

    First of all it mentions that Momass even recognizes that veteran receivers that have lost their speed, make up for it by being smart and "so technical" that it makes up for it.

    Secondly, it hints at Holmgren seeking that speedy receiver that some here have noted.

    So, it is safe to say that EVERYONE is right in this thread.

    Peace-out!!!

  • So, how do you link drafting a speedy receiver to holt?

    Didn't they say....again....in the conference call that this all-important mentor at wr is not important in their minds? Is a vet mentor necessary at every single position?

    Perhaps, mentors get overrated....

  • So, how do you link drafting a speedy receiver to holt?

    Didn't they say....again....in the conference call that this all-important mentor at wr is not important in their minds? Is a vet mentor necessary at every single position?

    Perhaps, mentors get overrated....

    @choco said:

    So, how do you link drafting a speedy receiver to holt?

    I'm not sure he did.

  • So, how do you link drafting a speedy receiver to holt?

    Didn't they say....again....in the conference call that this all-important mentor at wr is not important in their minds? Is a vet mentor necessary at every single position?

    Perhaps, mentors get overrated....

    @choco said:

    So, how do you link drafting a speedy receiver to holt?

    Didn't they say....again....in the conference call that this all-important mentor at wr is not important in their minds? Is a vet mentor necessary at every single position?

    Perhaps, mentors get overrated....

    I linked Holt with Momass' comment of, "You watch some of the older guys play and they don’t have the abilities that they used to have, but they’re so smart and so sound and so technical that it makes up for all of that.”

    I linked the speedy receiver with what others in this topic spoke of, which was the call for a speedy receiver.

    Basically I mentioned them as two different things, such as you were "speedy" to jump to a conclusion but had you been more veteran like you may have possessed more "smarts" and been more "technically sound" and gotten it right the first time.

  • Zombo said:

    TRANSLATION: I got waxed on the Torry Holt argument when Holmgren said there was no way it would happen ... but since Momass mentioned "older guys" I can pretend I saved face because I think I'm still on that sissy board whence I came.

    Zombo

    Whatever dude! The comments from Momass about veterans being more crafty to make-up for lost speed nailed exactly what many of us here were trying to tell you. Yeah, let's bring in track stars like the Raiders do, that always works well.

    Let the Ravens pick up Holt, like the Bengals did in bringing in 10yr vet Laveranues Coles last season, where he caught more TD's than Massaquoi, Stuckey, Cribbs, Furrey, Braylon & Robiskie did for us COMBINED.

  • Zombo said:

    I thought you wanted Holt ... he caught ZERO TD's.

    Zombo

    --Maybe you are better at defense ... wasn't it great last year how Hank Poteat "mentored" Wright and McDonald?

    Big deal, Momass scored against the Lions and the Raiders. I think Shaun Rogers could have beaten the Lions deep that day.

    A veteran brings consistency to the table. Torry Holt had 10 games where he caught 3 or more passes. Momass only had 4 games that he caught 3 or more passes. Holt had 30+ yards in 11 games. Momass had 30+ yards in only 6 games.

    In 2 games last year, Momass had 13 receptions for 263 yards.

    In the other 13 games, he had only 21 receptions for 361 yards.

    That is about as inconsistient as it gets. He could use a good mentor to teach him how to be a pro and strap it on each Sunday.

    The Browns were 4-5 in games where Momass only had one catch. But hey, he scored in a loss to the Raiders, a loss to the Lions and grabbed a meaningless score verse San Diego.

    How many INT's were thrown in trying to target him? I'd say at least five, maybe more.

  • Zombo said:

    What does that even mean?

    So we were 1-6 in games where he caught more than one, and/or none?

    You've done a lot of work here, Todd, let me ask you ... in all of this extrapulation did you find a TD for Torry yet?

    Zombo

    "TDs for Torry" may replace "Toys for Tots" as the hot new charity...

    Torry Holt is 7th among active players in Scoring Receptions with 74 Receiving TD's. He is the same age as Hines Ward and trails him by only 4 career receiving TD's despite playing for down teams and changing teams in recent years. I suppose you wouldn't take Hines Ward either? Ward finally caught and suprassed Holt last season, even though Ward has been in the league one year longer and played in 13 more games.

  • Zombo said:

    What does that even mean?

    So we were 1-6 in games where he caught more than one, and/or none?

    You've done a lot of work here, Todd, let me ask you ... in all of this extrapulation did you find a TD for Torry yet?

    Zombo

    "TDs for Torry" may replace "Toys for Tots" as the hot new charity...

    Torry Holt is 7th among active players in Scoring Receptions with 74 Receiving TD's. He is the same age as Hines Ward and trails him by only 4 career receiving TD's despite playing for down teams and changing teams in recent years. I suppose you wouldn't take Hines Ward either? Ward finally caught and suprassed Holt last season, even though Ward has been in the league one year longer and played in 13 more games.

    @c.bridges said:

    Torry Holt is 7th among active players in Scoring Receptions with 74 Receiving TD's. He is the same age as Hines Ward and trails him by only 4 career receiving TD's despite playing for down teams and changing teams in recent years. I suppose you wouldn't take Hines Ward either? Ward finally caught and suprassed Holt last season, even though Ward has been in the league one year longer and played in 13 more games.

    Not disagreeing with you Bridges, but did you ever tell everyone why you are an expert on WRs? Do you pick a lot of sleeper WRs in your fantasy league? Are you the WR coach for a local HS team? Share your expertise with us.