Skip to content

WR???

The Browns Board
50 19 6.6k
  • When the hell did we bring back Steptoe? I thought we canned his ass after he was talkin shit last year.

  • When the hell did we bring back Steptoe? I thought we canned his ass after he was talkin shit last year.

    @dawgpoundpitt said:

    When the hell did we bring back Steptoe? I thought we canned his ass after he was talkin shit last year.

    I'm with you on that, I think I posted the same thing a month or so back.

  • When the hell did we bring back Steptoe? I thought we canned his ass after he was talkin shit last year.

    @dawgpoundpitt said:

    When the hell did we bring back Steptoe? I thought we canned his ass after he was talkin shit last year.

    You didn't hear? Some Zombo-the-clown guy here is eager to see chumps like Steptoe struggle to get off the line of scrimmage, instead of bringing in a Vet to move the chains, mentor the younger guys on work ethic, and learn how to be a pro. He don't understand how a solid possession receiver actually creates more reps for guys like Momass to give up on extra plays.

  • that veteran WR fa list is awful. thank god that we have ben watson and momass to throw to this year.

    i still don't know why we didn't pursue chris chambers after the bolts released him last year.

  • What about deion branch? Seattle has been trying to unload him for awhile.

  • Holt was on pace with Jerry Rice a good way into his career. They also shared the same kind of work ethic, I think Holt is one who can really turn it on in his elder years, find that second wind and give someone very steady production.

    @atenears said:

    Holt was on pace with Jerry Rice a good way into his career. They also shared the same kind of work ethic, I think Holt is one who can really turn it on in his elder years, find that second wind and give someone very steady production.

    Torry Holt is definately the guy we need. A great receiver even though he has fell off a little. And one of the classiest players in the NFL. He would be a great addition to the locker room.

  • man when can we get off this shit of bringing in some old ass guy to be a mentor. don't we have coaches for that? why pay a guy to sit and pat a kid on the head? let's see what the draft brings and let all those bums on the FA WR list go elsewhere.

  • man when can we get off this shit of bringing in some old ass guy to be a mentor. don't we have coaches for that? why pay a guy to sit and pat a kid on the head? let's see what the draft brings and let all those bums on the FA WR list go elsewhere.

    @miktoxic said:

    man when can we get off this shit of bringing in some old ass guy to be a mentor. don't we have coaches for that? why pay a guy to sit and pat a kid on the head? let's see what the draft brings and let all those bums on the FA WR list go elsewhere.

    Jerome Harrison would be serving as the director of youth activities at the recreation center of his home town of Kalamzoo, had it not been for the mentoring of Jamal Lewis.

  • @miktoxic said:

    man when can we get off this shit of bringing in some old ass guy to be a mentor. don't we have coaches for that? why pay a guy to sit and pat a kid on the head? let's see what the draft brings and let all those bums on the FA WR list go elsewhere.

    Jerome Harrison would be serving as the director of youth activities at the recreation center of his home town of Kalamzoo, had it not been for the mentoring of Jamal Lewis.

    @atenears said:

    Jerome Harrison would be serving as the director of youth activities at the recreation center of his home town of Kalamzoo, had it not been for the mentoring of Jamal Lewis.

    Good point. Although Bernie didn't do a very good job with our QB corp last season, all three were ousted, in addition to himself.

  • I found stole this blurb from the wire:

    "Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi(notes) is using the offseason conditioning program to get stronger. Massaquoi tied for the team lead with 34 catches last season.

    “(I’m) just trying to gain some weight and get a little bit faster, understand the game better,” he told Cleveland Browns.com. “You watch some of the older guys play and they don’t have the abilities that they used to have, but they’re so smart and so sound and so technical that it makes up for all of that.”

    Team president Mike Holmgren said he likes the way Massaquoi played in 2009, but he wants to find a speedy receiver in the draft."

    First of all it mentions that Momass even recognizes that veteran receivers that have lost their speed, make up for it by being smart and "so technical" that it makes up for it.

    Secondly, it hints at Holmgren seeking that speedy receiver that some here have noted.

    So, it is safe to say that EVERYONE is right in this thread.

    Peace-out!!!

  • So, how do you link drafting a speedy receiver to holt?

    Didn't they say....again....in the conference call that this all-important mentor at wr is not important in their minds? Is a vet mentor necessary at every single position?

    Perhaps, mentors get overrated....

  • So, how do you link drafting a speedy receiver to holt?

    Didn't they say....again....in the conference call that this all-important mentor at wr is not important in their minds? Is a vet mentor necessary at every single position?

    Perhaps, mentors get overrated....

    @choco said:

    So, how do you link drafting a speedy receiver to holt?

    I'm not sure he did.

  • So, how do you link drafting a speedy receiver to holt?

    Didn't they say....again....in the conference call that this all-important mentor at wr is not important in their minds? Is a vet mentor necessary at every single position?

    Perhaps, mentors get overrated....

    @choco said:

    So, how do you link drafting a speedy receiver to holt?

    Didn't they say....again....in the conference call that this all-important mentor at wr is not important in their minds? Is a vet mentor necessary at every single position?

    Perhaps, mentors get overrated....

    I linked Holt with Momass' comment of, "You watch some of the older guys play and they don’t have the abilities that they used to have, but they’re so smart and so sound and so technical that it makes up for all of that.”

    I linked the speedy receiver with what others in this topic spoke of, which was the call for a speedy receiver.

    Basically I mentioned them as two different things, such as you were "speedy" to jump to a conclusion but had you been more veteran like you may have possessed more "smarts" and been more "technically sound" and gotten it right the first time.

  • Zombo said:

    TRANSLATION: I got waxed on the Torry Holt argument when Holmgren said there was no way it would happen ... but since Momass mentioned "older guys" I can pretend I saved face because I think I'm still on that sissy board whence I came.

    Zombo

    Whatever dude! The comments from Momass about veterans being more crafty to make-up for lost speed nailed exactly what many of us here were trying to tell you. Yeah, let's bring in track stars like the Raiders do, that always works well.

    Let the Ravens pick up Holt, like the Bengals did in bringing in 10yr vet Laveranues Coles last season, where he caught more TD's than Massaquoi, Stuckey, Cribbs, Furrey, Braylon & Robiskie did for us COMBINED.

  • Zombo said:

    I thought you wanted Holt ... he caught ZERO TD's.

    Zombo

    --Maybe you are better at defense ... wasn't it great last year how Hank Poteat "mentored" Wright and McDonald?

    Big deal, Momass scored against the Lions and the Raiders. I think Shaun Rogers could have beaten the Lions deep that day.

    A veteran brings consistency to the table. Torry Holt had 10 games where he caught 3 or more passes. Momass only had 4 games that he caught 3 or more passes. Holt had 30+ yards in 11 games. Momass had 30+ yards in only 6 games.

    In 2 games last year, Momass had 13 receptions for 263 yards.

    In the other 13 games, he had only 21 receptions for 361 yards.

    That is about as inconsistient as it gets. He could use a good mentor to teach him how to be a pro and strap it on each Sunday.

    The Browns were 4-5 in games where Momass only had one catch. But hey, he scored in a loss to the Raiders, a loss to the Lions and grabbed a meaningless score verse San Diego.

    How many INT's were thrown in trying to target him? I'd say at least five, maybe more.

  • Zombo said:

    What does that even mean?

    So we were 1-6 in games where he caught more than one, and/or none?

    You've done a lot of work here, Todd, let me ask you ... in all of this extrapulation did you find a TD for Torry yet?

    Zombo

    "TDs for Torry" may replace "Toys for Tots" as the hot new charity...

    Torry Holt is 7th among active players in Scoring Receptions with 74 Receiving TD's. He is the same age as Hines Ward and trails him by only 4 career receiving TD's despite playing for down teams and changing teams in recent years. I suppose you wouldn't take Hines Ward either? Ward finally caught and suprassed Holt last season, even though Ward has been in the league one year longer and played in 13 more games.

  • Zombo said:

    What does that even mean?

    So we were 1-6 in games where he caught more than one, and/or none?

    You've done a lot of work here, Todd, let me ask you ... in all of this extrapulation did you find a TD for Torry yet?

    Zombo

    "TDs for Torry" may replace "Toys for Tots" as the hot new charity...

    Torry Holt is 7th among active players in Scoring Receptions with 74 Receiving TD's. He is the same age as Hines Ward and trails him by only 4 career receiving TD's despite playing for down teams and changing teams in recent years. I suppose you wouldn't take Hines Ward either? Ward finally caught and suprassed Holt last season, even though Ward has been in the league one year longer and played in 13 more games.

    @c.bridges said:

    Torry Holt is 7th among active players in Scoring Receptions with 74 Receiving TD's. He is the same age as Hines Ward and trails him by only 4 career receiving TD's despite playing for down teams and changing teams in recent years. I suppose you wouldn't take Hines Ward either? Ward finally caught and suprassed Holt last season, even though Ward has been in the league one year longer and played in 13 more games.

    Not disagreeing with you Bridges, but did you ever tell everyone why you are an expert on WRs? Do you pick a lot of sleeper WRs in your fantasy league? Are you the WR coach for a local HS team? Share your expertise with us.

  • @c.bridges said:

    Torry Holt is 7th among active players in Scoring Receptions with 74 Receiving TD's. He is the same age as Hines Ward and trails him by only 4 career receiving TD's despite playing for down teams and changing teams in recent years. I suppose you wouldn't take Hines Ward either? Ward finally caught and suprassed Holt last season, even though Ward has been in the league one year longer and played in 13 more games.

    Not disagreeing with you Bridges, but did you ever tell everyone why you are an expert on WRs? Do you pick a lot of sleeper WRs in your fantasy league? Are you the WR coach for a local HS team? Share your expertise with us.

    @bonedawg said:

    Not disagreeing with you Bridges, but did you ever tell everyone why you are an expert on WRs? Do you pick a lot of sleeper WRs in your fantasy league? Are you the WR coach for a local HS team? Share your expertise with us.

    Haha, figure of speech I guess. I don't think I said I am an expert, I believe I said that I know WR's. With that said, I am not a big fan of Momass. He had one good game last year where he was under the radar and had a breakout (game). I guess I'm not a fan of Robo either and never was when he was playing in the horseshoe either.

    Mark me down as one NOT optimistic about our young receiving core. In fact, I don't think we have a receiving core in which to build around.

  • I'm not a Holt "fag", but I would be happy as hell with just about any one of those veteran receivers listed on the opening post of this thread.

  • @bonedawg said:

    Not disagreeing with you Bridges, but did you ever tell everyone why you are an expert on WRs? Do you pick a lot of sleeper WRs in your fantasy league? Are you the WR coach for a local HS team? Share your expertise with us.

    Haha, figure of speech I guess. I don't think I said I am an expert, I believe I said that I know WR's. With that said, I am not a big fan of Momass. He had one good game last year where he was under the radar and had a breakout (game). I guess I'm not a fan of Robo either and never was when he was playing in the horseshoe either.

    Mark me down as one NOT optimistic about our young receiving core. In fact, I don't think we have a receiving core in which to build around.

    @c.bridges said:

    Haha, figure of speech I guess. I don't think I said I am an expert, I believe I said that I know WR's. With that said, I am not a big fan of Momass. He had one good game last year where he was under the radar and had a breakout (game). I guess I'm not a fan of Robo either and never was when he was playing in the horseshoe either.

    Mark me down as one NOT optimistic about our young receiving core. In fact, I don't think we have a receiving core in which to build around.

    I really, really disagree with your MoMass take. Historically, rookie WRs put up very similiar numbers to what MoMass did last year. So he is basically par for the course in some cases better that some greats were in their rookie years. The biggest difference is that he had to be the #1 in his rookie year on a team with TERRIBLE QB play and no threat for most of the year anywhere else on the field. He was matched up with the other team's best CB as a rookie and still put up the type of rookie numbers you would expect. He has good hands, he just needs to learn how to fight for the ball a little more and the kid is gonna be really good. He reminds me of a Mushin Muhammud or a Torry Holt. What we need though, is a Steve Smith or a Issac Bruce on the other side. The jury is still out on Robo but it's still too soon to determine if a rookie WR sucks. You can however see if a rookie WR is good, and MoMass looks good. And Stuckey isn't bad either. I can see a MoMass, Stuckey starting lineup.