Skip to content

The Gipper's Guide to America

Barber Shop Talk
366 26 26.4k
  • People - I have tentative plans to visit Cedar Point for a few days later in the year (may get pushed to 2017). Obviously, swinging by for a Browns game is a must, but is there anything else in the area? I suspect we would end up flying in to detroit as it's direct for us, picking up a car and going from there, in a round trip. I suspect Niagara is on the list as well, and maybe Toronto.

    Anything I might not know about worth taking a look at? Nature and astronomy would be a big plus as well.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

    @gftchris said:

    People - I have tentative plans to visit Cedar Point for a few days later in the year (may get pushed to 2017). Obviously, swinging by for a Browns game is a must, but is there anything else in the area? I suspect we would end up flying in to detroit as it's direct for us, picking up a car and going from there, in a round trip. I suspect Niagara is on the list as well, and maybe Toronto.

    Anything I might not know about worth taking a look at? Nature and astronomy would be a big plus as well.

    Cedar Point is very close to put-in-bay where Westside Steve plays a great deal of the summer.

    www.westsidesteve.com

  • I'm going to Yosemite in may

    One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I'm going to Yosemite in may

    Don't get bit by them deer ticks.
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    Recently visited several National Park Units in Alabama and Georgia:

    Little River Canyon National Preserve, northeast Ala. Canyon, river, waterfalls, wildlife

    Horseshoe Bend National Military Park: Site where Andrew Jackson battled Creek Indians and wiped out about 1000 of them.

    Tuskeegee Institute National Historic site. College founded by Booker T. Washington....and where George Washington Carver spent his career. The two men are buried only like 40 feet apart.

    Tuskeegee Airmen NHS: Site where the training of the "Red Tails" occurred, black fighter pilots during WWII

    Jimmy Carter NHS: Site of boyhood home of Carter

    Andersonville NHS: Site of Confederate POW camp....where like almost one out of three prisoners that were held there would die.

    Ocmulgee NHS: site of prehistoric native American "mound city"

    Selma to Montgomery National Trail. Commemorates the 1964 Civil right march that resulted in the Voting Rights Act.

    Also went to south of Tallahassee to the St. Mark's Wildlife Refuge to try to see Whooping Cranes. Could not see them but saw plenty of herons, ibises, and gators.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    Please all feel free to post here some of your own travel adventures including photos if you can.

  • Please all feel free to post here some of your own travel adventures including photos if you can.

    One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Please all feel free to post here some of your own travel adventures including photos if you can.

    I drove OTR and seen a lot. I always liked a city at night and driving in it really late. It's all lit up and traffic is ok. I would say Houston was really cool but got this "I'm far from home feeling". Seeing New York from the river was awesome.

    I got lost really good in Wichita, KS. It was the land before cell phones and GPS and had directions on paper. A couple of months later someone asked if I knew Wichita and I said something like, " ya I been all over Wichita".

    I had the time of my life at a tavern in Philly with some gang bangers that worked for a guy that loaded my trailor. It was a rough place and if I showed you where I backed into even I wouldn't believe it if someone told me.

    All in all it was good for me to get back home for good.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by

    How long do you think it would take to do Yosemite? I get you could spend forever (and trust me, I'd love that but no time) but is a day enough, a week, a month?

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by

    I'm going for two and a half weeks but I expect to do San Francisco in there as well.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    I'm going to Yosemite in may

    Don't get bit by them deer ticks.
    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by

    "One said:

    Don't get bit by them deer ticks.

    I have deer ticks enough in my own backyard to know how to deal with them

  • I'm going for two and a half weeks but I expect to do San Francisco in there as well.

    One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I'm going for two and a half weeks but I expect to do San Francisco in there as well.

    I bet you will. Don't be hum dinger over there. 🙂
  • How long do you think it would take to do Yosemite? I get you could spend forever (and trust me, I'd love that but no time) but is a day enough, a week, a month?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @gftchris said:

    How long do you think it would take to do Yosemite? I get you could spend forever (and trust me, I'd love that but no time) but is a day enough, a week, a month?

    You can hit the highlights more or less in a day. But if you had two you could get a little more in depth. If you had a week you could cover almost all of Yosemite and Sequoia as well.

    When are you going?

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by

    October-ish.

  • October-ish.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @gftchris said:

    October-ish.

    One issue with October....and I know this from personal experience because the two times I have been to Yosemite it was in October. At that time of year the "spigot is turned off". By that I mean, there are wonderful waterfalls in Yosemite. But toward the end of summer and into fall the streams that feed these waterfalls dry up because of lack of precipitation. Upper and Lower Yosemite Falls...nothing. Bridal Veil Falls is just a trickle. Don't get me wrong, the scenery is still spectacular...its just that the waterfalls are dormant. When I go back there sometimes I would hope to go earlier in the summer or in spring.

    Cysco is going in May? That should be a good time for full waterfall action. October, nyet.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by

    Hmmmm, interesting point gip, I hadn't considered that, thanks.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

    Speaking for myself Chris, I'm guessing it would take at least 10 days.

    http://m.yelp.com/search?cflt=breweries&find_loc=YOSEMITE+NATIONAL+PARK%2C+CA+95389

    WSS

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by

    What a trip fellas. Highly recommended. I've spent the last two weeks in Northern California. Armstrong Redwoods state Park, Goat Rock beach, Point Reyes national Seashore and Today and the rest of the week I spent (will be spending) at Yosemite. A killer drive to be sure, but so f'ng worth it. I'm going to need a vacation from vacation.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by

    I managed to get a day trip to San Francisco in there too, wearing Cavs gear of course.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by

    The Waterfalls are fully waterfall-y right now.

  • One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by

    Very cool.

  • The Waterfalls are fully waterfall-y right now.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    The Waterfalls are fully waterfall-y right now.

    Good to know. Have a great time.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by

    The upshot of all the questions is, the good lady and I will be doing a trip around the grand canyon, zion, arches, bryce canyon, monument valley, and the antelope one. Probably flying in to Phoenix since direct flights aren't so crazy - £700 compared to closer to £900 for Vegas and Salt Lake City.

    If people have any recommendations - whether it's visiting other places in the area, or a way to get more out of those, it would be greatly appreciated. I think we're likely going to be winging it in terms of accommodation, so we will be booking maybe a couple of days ahead so we can be more flexible. Are they plenty of places to stay, and will we be ok not booking far in advance?

    I've not been to the US since I was 7, so in terms of planning things, and things that I might not anticipate, I'm at a bit of a loss!