Skip to content

The Gipper's Guide to America

Barber Shop Talk
366 26 26.4k
  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by

    I do tend to go for the unlimited miles option. In this case for sure. Only time I don't is if I know I'm only doing a certain amount of miles - from airport to hotel and around the town.

  • I do tend to go for the unlimited miles option. In this case for sure. Only time I don't is if I know I'm only doing a certain amount of miles - from airport to hotel and around the town.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @gftchris said:

    I do tend to go for the unlimited miles option. In this case for sure. Only time I don't is if I know I'm only doing a certain amount of miles - from airport to hotel and around the town.

    I never rent unless I get unlimited miles. The last time I rented a car I put almost 3000 miles on it, going from here to Alabama and Florida and around and back.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    Just FYI....in the trip I just took I took in like 9 or 10 additional National Park Units:

    Hampton National Historic Park: This sites on the north side of Baltimore. It is the site of a former plantation that was owned by the Ridgely family which at the time were one of the 3 or 4 wealthiest families in America. It was once 25,000 acres, now down to just 63 acres where the huge manor house and the smaller estate manager's house plus some slave quarters still exist. This plantation at one time had like 350 slaves.

    Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Monument. There are several sites on Maryland's eastern shore associated with this NP unit. A visitor/education center is in Cambridge MD which tells all about Harriet Tubman, an escaped slave who conducted up to 300 slaves to freedom on the Undergroud Railroad.

    First State National Monument. Delaware is considered the First State because it was the first state in the Union to ratify the Constitution. I visited a couple of sites associated with this NP unit: The Old Statehouse and Green in Dover plus the Old Courthouse in New Castle DE where events occurred associated with the ratification of the Constitution and other Delaware historic events. Both the areas are very nice, old but well kept up historic areas.

    Kenilworth National Aquatic Gardens. In northeast Washington DC. An area of greenery in a somewhat poorer section of DC. It has ponds, lily pads, geese, heron etc. Very pretty.

    Anacostia Park. Not really a national park, but it is maintained by the NPS. A riverside park with recreational activity in the city.

    The Frederick Douglas National Historic Site. The home of Frederick Douglas in eastern DC from 1877 to 1895 when he died. He was the former slave who became a nationally know writer, speaker, abolitionist and general advocate of Civil Rights.

    The Women's Equality National Historic Site, fka the Sewall-Belmont House. From this location, just a block east of the US Supreme Court building, the National Women's Party operated, and that group was the primary advocate for the 20th Amendment, giving women the right to vote.

    Carter Woodson Home NHS. Former home of the President of Howard University who was intrumental in getting Black History Month accredited. The site was under construction and not able to be entered. I just saw it from the outside, peaking basically at the scaffolding that was there.

    World War I National Historic Monument. This was formerly called Pershing Park, and sits right adjacent to the White House grounds on the east. There are plans to upgrade the park from it current status. (it needs it). Mainly now there is a big statue of General Jack Pershing on the grounds. He was the head of all armed forces during WWI. While they will keep his statue, they will incorporate it into the new WWI monument planned.

    Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial. This is the new memorial overlooking the Tidal Basin. It consists of a huge stone statue of MLK and walls emanating out from there with various quotes made by King.

    Revisited parks: Assateague National Seashore, with it wild ponies. Plus the main DC monuments you all know: Washington Jefferson, FDR, Lincoln, WWII, The White House, plus Rock Creek, Mary McCleod Bethune, The National Mall.

    By my count, I have now visited 310 of the 410 official National Park units. Of the one hundred I have not been to, I could get like a quarter of them in with just two trips: New York City/Long Island and some 4 Corners region parks, mostly in New Mex. Another 18 are in extremely remote areas of Alaska...none of which can be just driven to. You need like a float plane or a dog sled to get to most of them.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by

    So flights are booked and we're doing Zion, Bryce, Arches, Grand Canyon (north and south) and a few other little stops, end of september, early october. Flights are booked. Hooray. But, it seems we're missing a trick with the hotels/motels - looking around the area, every place within about an hour of each park is like $150-200, even places like Motel 6, places that basically have just a bed and a bathroom. What's the deal? Do prices go drastically down as you approach the date? Do we need to look further away? What gives?

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by

    Man you're going to love that area. If you could get into California you'be golden. Plenty to see in the weSt you won't be dissapointed.

  • Man you're going to love that area. If you could get into California you'be golden. Plenty to see in the weSt you won't be dissapointed.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Man you're going to love that area. If you could get into California you'be golden. Plenty to see in the weSt you won't be dissapointed.

    Just don't have the time to do everything we want to do, but don't worry, sequoia and the rest are on the list for next time.

  • So flights are booked and we're doing Zion, Bryce, Arches, Grand Canyon (north and south) and a few other little stops, end of september, early october. Flights are booked. Hooray. But, it seems we're missing a trick with the hotels/motels - looking around the area, every place within about an hour of each park is like $150-200, even places like Motel 6, places that basically have just a bed and a bathroom. What's the deal? Do prices go drastically down as you approach the date? Do we need to look further away? What gives?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @gftchris said:

    So flights are booked and we're doing Zion, Bryce, Arches, Grand Canyon (north and south) and a few other little stops, end of september, early october. Flights are booked. Hooray. But, it seems we're missing a trick with the hotels/motels - looking around the area, every place within about an hour of each park is like $150-200, even places like Motel 6, places that basically have just a bed and a bathroom. What's the deal? Do prices go drastically down as you approach the date? Do we need to look further away? What gives?

    That seems crazy. I have been in that area around that time of year and got some really cheap deals.

    ....FYI....there are a lot of "mom and pop" motels in the area that may not be on the websites of the big travel agency websites. If you can just "pay as you go"....I think you will find bargains.

  • @gftchris said:

    So flights are booked and we're doing Zion, Bryce, Arches, Grand Canyon (north and south) and a few other little stops, end of september, early october. Flights are booked. Hooray. But, it seems we're missing a trick with the hotels/motels - looking around the area, every place within about an hour of each park is like $150-200, even places like Motel 6, places that basically have just a bed and a bathroom. What's the deal? Do prices go drastically down as you approach the date? Do we need to look further away? What gives?

    That seems crazy. I have been in that area around that time of year and got some really cheap deals.

    ....FYI....there are a lot of "mom and pop" motels in the area that may not be on the websites of the big travel agency websites. If you can just "pay as you go"....I think you will find bargains.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    That seems crazy. I have been in that area around that time of year and got some really cheap deals.

    ....FYI....there are a lot of "mom and pop" motels in the area that may not be on the websites of the big travel agency websites. If you can just "pay as you go"....I think you will find bargains.

    Any idea how I might find them if they're not on the bigger websites?

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by

    Just drive around til you see a motel

  • @the-gipper said:

    That seems crazy. I have been in that area around that time of year and got some really cheap deals.

    ....FYI....there are a lot of "mom and pop" motels in the area that may not be on the websites of the big travel agency websites. If you can just "pay as you go"....I think you will find bargains.

    Any idea how I might find them if they're not on the bigger websites?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @gftchris said:

    Any idea how I might find them if they're not on the bigger websites?

    Sure, Google "Cheap motels in __________________.....and insert the name of the city.

    The cities you want to look for are:

    Panguitch

    Mt. Carmel,

    Bryce

    Tropic

    Glendale

    Kanab

    Cedar City

    St. George area

    Hurricane

    Page, Arizona

    These are all for So. Utah/or the north rim. Be mindful of where these are in relation to what you want to see. Page is more over toward the Glen Canyon Dam.

    For the south rim.....yes, big bucks to stay in the park hotels. But check out cheap motels for Williams, Cameron, Tuba City, and Flagstaff for the south rim.

    Don't be afraid to use Hotwire.....as long as you are not that picky...and are more concerned with price. (but no cancellations or refunds allowed.

    You can get very good deals there.....as I said, if you are not picky. I just picked up a hotel in York PA for $50.00 a night that the other sites (travelocity/expedia etc. etc) were selling for around $100.00 or more.

    The time of year IS important. If you are going here in the summer when school is still out....prices would be more. In the fall....it could drop way down. And weekends vs. weekdays could make a difference.

    I just put in a search for Panguitch Utah for one night for Friday Sept 30th.....and saw prices of like $60-77. for a night (tax not included). Only 1 or 2 stars.....but I have stayed in these types and been OK.

    You can find places in Flagstaff for the 60 some dollar range. Again 1.5 to 2.0 star....but you will live.

    ....but....just driving around until you see a cheap motel can work too. There may actually be some that don't show up on that kind of a search.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by

    Well it's all booked. Found some relatively cheap places around, used Hotwire to save some bucks.

    Also mostly planned for next year to visit NYC/Washington (for a wedding). Also planning another holiday out to Hawaii. Haven't been to the US in over 20 years, now looking to go three times in the space of 12 months.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by

    Coming from London you'll probably feel right at home in NYC. Unless you wander into the Bronx or bed-Stuy Brooklyn or something. If you feel like touring the city outside of Manhattan Brooklyn is likely the best bet. There's lots of cool places in Brooklyn. Queens has some hit nothing you're gonna feel like you missed out on if you don't go. Staten Island, in my opinion, isn't part of the quintessential new york experience and unless you're going to a Yankee game I'd just stay clear of the bronx, personally.

    Assuming you mean Washington d.c. that's an eight or more hour drive from the city. D.c. has some awesome sightseeing in its own right but given the choice I'd just stay in NYC and use the extra days to visit MOMA or the met or explore Brooklyn. Just my $.02

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by

    When I lived in NYC they used to have fireworks every Friday night at coney island which was cool. The Atlantic in new york isnt what it is elsewhere but it's still nice

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by

    DC, yep. 8 hour drive, really? I had a quick look at google maps and it said around 3-4 hours?

    A friend is getting married in DC, so we figured since both of us want to go see new york at some point we'd do both, but if it's going to take forever to get from one to the other maybe not.

    That being said, there's a strong chance we'll be stopping in NJ to visit a six flags or something.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by The Cysko Kid

    Maybe. I could be wrong from nyc.

    Edit yes I'm wrong it's about a 4 hour drive so that's do able

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by

    Too bad you can't do cedar point. Outside of California there's nowhere I've been that even comes close. I'm spoiled to live 20 minutes away

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by

    It's definitely on the bucket list for sure. The lady is more of the theme park nut than I, but I still enjoy it. Still, it means she basically picks which we go to (once I remind her the NYC to Cleveland to Washington is not doable).

    Another friend of ours is moving to Montreal, so might try to combine that.

  • DC, yep. 8 hour drive, really? I had a quick look at google maps and it said around 3-4 hours?

    A friend is getting married in DC, so we figured since both of us want to go see new york at some point we'd do both, but if it's going to take forever to get from one to the other maybe not.

    That being said, there's a strong chance we'll be stopping in NJ to visit a six flags or something.

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by

    @gftchris said:

    DC, yep. 8 hour drive, really? I had a quick look at google maps and it said around 3-4 hours?

    A friend is getting married in DC, so we figured since both of us want to go see new york at some point we'd do both, but if it's going to take forever to get from one to the other maybe not.

    That being said, there's a strong chance we'll be stopping in NJ to visit a six flags or something.

    It's not 8 hours, more like 4 hours. I used to drive to a Japanese shopping mall in NJ right across the Hudson from Manhattan. Could see the World Trade Centers. It was a 4 hour drive from Alexandria, VA.

  • DC, yep. 8 hour drive, really? I had a quick look at google maps and it said around 3-4 hours?

    A friend is getting married in DC, so we figured since both of us want to go see new york at some point we'd do both, but if it's going to take forever to get from one to the other maybe not.

    That being said, there's a strong chance we'll be stopping in NJ to visit a six flags or something.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @gftchris said:

    DC, yep. 8 hour drive, really? I had a quick look at google maps and it said around 3-4 hours?

    A friend is getting married in DC, so we figured since both of us want to go see new york at some point we'd do both, but if it's going to take forever to get from one to the other maybe not.

    That being said, there's a strong chance we'll be stopping in NJ to visit a six flags or something.

    It would be 4 hours if you didn't have to deal with crazy traffic. But you might have to, so that could double the time.

  • Well it's all booked. Found some relatively cheap places around, used Hotwire to save some bucks.

    Also mostly planned for next year to visit NYC/Washington (for a wedding). Also planning another holiday out to Hawaii. Haven't been to the US in over 20 years, now looking to go three times in the space of 12 months.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @gftchris said:

    Well it's all booked. Found some relatively cheap places around, used Hotwire to save some bucks.

    Also mostly planned for next year to visit NYC/Washington (for a wedding). Also planning another holiday out to Hawaii. Haven't been to the US in over 20 years, now looking to go three times in the space of 12 months.

    About Hawaii, when are you going, and have you booked anything yet. I might have some good options available to me that you could take advantage of...in terms of accommodations.