Skip to content

The Gipper's Guide to America

Barber Shop Talk
366 26 26.4k
  • So flights are booked and we're doing Zion, Bryce, Arches, Grand Canyon (north and south) and a few other little stops, end of september, early october. Flights are booked. Hooray. But, it seems we're missing a trick with the hotels/motels - looking around the area, every place within about an hour of each park is like $150-200, even places like Motel 6, places that basically have just a bed and a bathroom. What's the deal? Do prices go drastically down as you approach the date? Do we need to look further away? What gives?

    @gftchris said:

    So flights are booked and we're doing Zion, Bryce, Arches, Grand Canyon (north and south) and a few other little stops, end of september, early october. Flights are booked. Hooray. But, it seems we're missing a trick with the hotels/motels - looking around the area, every place within about an hour of each park is like $150-200, even places like Motel 6, places that basically have just a bed and a bathroom. What's the deal? Do prices go drastically down as you approach the date? Do we need to look further away? What gives?

    That seems crazy. I have been in that area around that time of year and got some really cheap deals.

    ....FYI....there are a lot of "mom and pop" motels in the area that may not be on the websites of the big travel agency websites. If you can just "pay as you go"....I think you will find bargains.

  • @gftchris said:

    So flights are booked and we're doing Zion, Bryce, Arches, Grand Canyon (north and south) and a few other little stops, end of september, early october. Flights are booked. Hooray. But, it seems we're missing a trick with the hotels/motels - looking around the area, every place within about an hour of each park is like $150-200, even places like Motel 6, places that basically have just a bed and a bathroom. What's the deal? Do prices go drastically down as you approach the date? Do we need to look further away? What gives?

    That seems crazy. I have been in that area around that time of year and got some really cheap deals.

    ....FYI....there are a lot of "mom and pop" motels in the area that may not be on the websites of the big travel agency websites. If you can just "pay as you go"....I think you will find bargains.

    @the-gipper said:

    That seems crazy. I have been in that area around that time of year and got some really cheap deals.

    ....FYI....there are a lot of "mom and pop" motels in the area that may not be on the websites of the big travel agency websites. If you can just "pay as you go"....I think you will find bargains.

    Any idea how I might find them if they're not on the bigger websites?

  • Just drive around til you see a motel

  • @the-gipper said:

    That seems crazy. I have been in that area around that time of year and got some really cheap deals.

    ....FYI....there are a lot of "mom and pop" motels in the area that may not be on the websites of the big travel agency websites. If you can just "pay as you go"....I think you will find bargains.

    Any idea how I might find them if they're not on the bigger websites?

    @gftchris said:

    Any idea how I might find them if they're not on the bigger websites?

    Sure, Google "Cheap motels in __________________.....and insert the name of the city.

    The cities you want to look for are:

    Panguitch

    Mt. Carmel,

    Bryce

    Tropic

    Glendale

    Kanab

    Cedar City

    St. George area

    Hurricane

    Page, Arizona

    These are all for So. Utah/or the north rim. Be mindful of where these are in relation to what you want to see. Page is more over toward the Glen Canyon Dam.

    For the south rim.....yes, big bucks to stay in the park hotels. But check out cheap motels for Williams, Cameron, Tuba City, and Flagstaff for the south rim.

    Don't be afraid to use Hotwire.....as long as you are not that picky...and are more concerned with price. (but no cancellations or refunds allowed.

    You can get very good deals there.....as I said, if you are not picky. I just picked up a hotel in York PA for $50.00 a night that the other sites (travelocity/expedia etc. etc) were selling for around $100.00 or more.

    The time of year IS important. If you are going here in the summer when school is still out....prices would be more. In the fall....it could drop way down. And weekends vs. weekdays could make a difference.

    I just put in a search for Panguitch Utah for one night for Friday Sept 30th.....and saw prices of like $60-77. for a night (tax not included). Only 1 or 2 stars.....but I have stayed in these types and been OK.

    You can find places in Flagstaff for the 60 some dollar range. Again 1.5 to 2.0 star....but you will live.

    ....but....just driving around until you see a cheap motel can work too. There may actually be some that don't show up on that kind of a search.

  • Well it's all booked. Found some relatively cheap places around, used Hotwire to save some bucks.

    Also mostly planned for next year to visit NYC/Washington (for a wedding). Also planning another holiday out to Hawaii. Haven't been to the US in over 20 years, now looking to go three times in the space of 12 months.

  • Coming from London you'll probably feel right at home in NYC. Unless you wander into the Bronx or bed-Stuy Brooklyn or something. If you feel like touring the city outside of Manhattan Brooklyn is likely the best bet. There's lots of cool places in Brooklyn. Queens has some hit nothing you're gonna feel like you missed out on if you don't go. Staten Island, in my opinion, isn't part of the quintessential new york experience and unless you're going to a Yankee game I'd just stay clear of the bronx, personally.

    Assuming you mean Washington d.c. that's an eight or more hour drive from the city. D.c. has some awesome sightseeing in its own right but given the choice I'd just stay in NYC and use the extra days to visit MOMA or the met or explore Brooklyn. Just my $.02

  • When I lived in NYC they used to have fireworks every Friday night at coney island which was cool. The Atlantic in new york isnt what it is elsewhere but it's still nice

  • DC, yep. 8 hour drive, really? I had a quick look at google maps and it said around 3-4 hours?

    A friend is getting married in DC, so we figured since both of us want to go see new york at some point we'd do both, but if it's going to take forever to get from one to the other maybe not.

    That being said, there's a strong chance we'll be stopping in NJ to visit a six flags or something.

  • Maybe. I could be wrong from nyc.

    Edit yes I'm wrong it's about a 4 hour drive so that's do able

  • Too bad you can't do cedar point. Outside of California there's nowhere I've been that even comes close. I'm spoiled to live 20 minutes away

  • It's definitely on the bucket list for sure. The lady is more of the theme park nut than I, but I still enjoy it. Still, it means she basically picks which we go to (once I remind her the NYC to Cleveland to Washington is not doable).

    Another friend of ours is moving to Montreal, so might try to combine that.

  • DC, yep. 8 hour drive, really? I had a quick look at google maps and it said around 3-4 hours?

    A friend is getting married in DC, so we figured since both of us want to go see new york at some point we'd do both, but if it's going to take forever to get from one to the other maybe not.

    That being said, there's a strong chance we'll be stopping in NJ to visit a six flags or something.

    @gftchris said:

    DC, yep. 8 hour drive, really? I had a quick look at google maps and it said around 3-4 hours?

    A friend is getting married in DC, so we figured since both of us want to go see new york at some point we'd do both, but if it's going to take forever to get from one to the other maybe not.

    That being said, there's a strong chance we'll be stopping in NJ to visit a six flags or something.

    It's not 8 hours, more like 4 hours. I used to drive to a Japanese shopping mall in NJ right across the Hudson from Manhattan. Could see the World Trade Centers. It was a 4 hour drive from Alexandria, VA.

  • DC, yep. 8 hour drive, really? I had a quick look at google maps and it said around 3-4 hours?

    A friend is getting married in DC, so we figured since both of us want to go see new york at some point we'd do both, but if it's going to take forever to get from one to the other maybe not.

    That being said, there's a strong chance we'll be stopping in NJ to visit a six flags or something.

    @gftchris said:

    DC, yep. 8 hour drive, really? I had a quick look at google maps and it said around 3-4 hours?

    A friend is getting married in DC, so we figured since both of us want to go see new york at some point we'd do both, but if it's going to take forever to get from one to the other maybe not.

    That being said, there's a strong chance we'll be stopping in NJ to visit a six flags or something.

    It would be 4 hours if you didn't have to deal with crazy traffic. But you might have to, so that could double the time.

  • Well it's all booked. Found some relatively cheap places around, used Hotwire to save some bucks.

    Also mostly planned for next year to visit NYC/Washington (for a wedding). Also planning another holiday out to Hawaii. Haven't been to the US in over 20 years, now looking to go three times in the space of 12 months.

    @gftchris said:

    Well it's all booked. Found some relatively cheap places around, used Hotwire to save some bucks.

    Also mostly planned for next year to visit NYC/Washington (for a wedding). Also planning another holiday out to Hawaii. Haven't been to the US in over 20 years, now looking to go three times in the space of 12 months.

    About Hawaii, when are you going, and have you booked anything yet. I might have some good options available to me that you could take advantage of...in terms of accommodations.

  • @gftchris said:

    Well it's all booked. Found some relatively cheap places around, used Hotwire to save some bucks.

    Also mostly planned for next year to visit NYC/Washington (for a wedding). Also planning another holiday out to Hawaii. Haven't been to the US in over 20 years, now looking to go three times in the space of 12 months.

    About Hawaii, when are you going, and have you booked anything yet. I might have some good options available to me that you could take advantage of...in terms of accommodations.

    @the-gipper said:

    About Hawaii, when are you going, and have you booked anything yet. I might have some good options available to me that you could take advantage of...in terms of accommodations.

    It'll be around next autumn. Not sure where yet though.

  • @the-gipper said:

    About Hawaii, when are you going, and have you booked anything yet. I might have some good options available to me that you could take advantage of...in terms of accommodations.

    It'll be around next autumn. Not sure where yet though.

    @gftchris said:

    It'll be around next autumn. Not sure where yet though.

    Well, your choices are basically Oahu, Maui, ,the Big Island and Kauai. I have been to the first three plus Molokai, but not to Kauai, yet. How many in your party? I can get you into a condo for about 1K$ per week...if you are interested. Minimally you will want to probably stay for 2 weeks, fair to say?

  • So flights are booked and we're doing Zion, Bryce, Arches, Grand Canyon (north and south) and a few other little stops, end of september, early october. Flights are booked. Hooray. But, it seems we're missing a trick with the hotels/motels - looking around the area, every place within about an hour of each park is like $150-200, even places like Motel 6, places that basically have just a bed and a bathroom. What's the deal? Do prices go drastically down as you approach the date? Do we need to look further away? What gives?

    @gftchris said:

    So flights are booked and we're doing Zion, Bryce, Arches, Grand Canyon (north and south) and a few other little stops, end of september, early october. Flights are booked. Hooray. But, it seems we're missing a trick with the hotels/motels - looking around the area, every place within about an hour of each park is like $150-200, even places like Motel 6, places that basically have just a bed and a bathroom. What's the deal? Do prices go drastically down as you approach the date? Do we need to look further away? What gives?

    Have you gone yet? Or what is date of departure?

  • @gftchris said:

    So flights are booked and we're doing Zion, Bryce, Arches, Grand Canyon (north and south) and a few other little stops, end of september, early october. Flights are booked. Hooray. But, it seems we're missing a trick with the hotels/motels - looking around the area, every place within about an hour of each park is like $150-200, even places like Motel 6, places that basically have just a bed and a bathroom. What's the deal? Do prices go drastically down as you approach the date? Do we need to look further away? What gives?

    Have you gone yet? Or what is date of departure?

    @the-gipper said:

    Have you gone yet? Or what is date of departure?

    We fly out two weeks today. Flying in to vegas, and then driving straight out again. Side note - we've booked with Delta, any good?

    Also a couple of questions:

    How do ATMs work over there? I have a prepaid travel card but it doesn't have chip and pin, so how can I get cash out, from a bank?

    Where's a good supermarket to go get fresh food (fruit/veg etc)? 7-11? Walmart? Target? I honestly have no idea.

    And in that area, what's good and local? Avocados maybe? Again, no idea here.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Have you gone yet? Or what is date of departure?

    We fly out two weeks today. Flying in to vegas, and then driving straight out again. Side note - we've booked with Delta, any good?

    Also a couple of questions:

    How do ATMs work over there? I have a prepaid travel card but it doesn't have chip and pin, so how can I get cash out, from a bank?

    Where's a good supermarket to go get fresh food (fruit/veg etc)? 7-11? Walmart? Target? I honestly have no idea.

    And in that area, what's good and local? Avocados maybe? Again, no idea here.

    @gftchris said:

    We fly out two weeks today. Flying in to vegas, and then driving straight out again. Side note - we've booked with Delta, any good?

    Sure, fine.

    Also a couple of questions:

    How do ATMs work over there? I have a prepaid travel card but it doesn't have chip and pin, so how can I get cash out, from a bank?

    Good question, I am honestly not sure. SHouldn't you just use it like a credit card?

    Where's a good supermarket to go get fresh food (fruit/veg etc)? 7-11? Walmart? Target? I honestly have no idea.

    Walmart would be fine. I don't know if Target carries fresh produce. The one near me does not. The other thing you can do is to just google "grocery stores" or Produce markets near whatever town you will be in. I have no doubt that you will be able to find some organic markets nearby.

    And in that area, what's good and local? Avocados maybe? Again, no idea here.

    You can probably get just about anything you want. Or, just go to those local stores and see what they have that interests you.

    Have you set your itinerary?

  • Best Architecture, Home Residence: Taliesin West, Scottsdale AZ (Frank Lloyd Wright), Winchester Mystery House, San Jose CA

    I have since been to Falling Waters, and it certainly take home a blue ribbon.