The Gipper's Guide to America
-
Best Architecture, Home Residence: Taliesin West, Scottsdale AZ (Frank Lloyd Wright), Winchester Mystery House, San Jose CA
I have since been to Falling Waters, and it certainly take home a blue ribbon.
MANY years back the wife and I took a trip to Uniontown, PA and took an impromptu unplanned trip to all the sites in the Mt. Washington/Ft. Neccesity area it was quite fun -but- I kept seeing the Falling Water signs and being a Frank Lloyd Wright fan wanted to see it but we just ran out of time.
We drove back in the fall through beautiful Scenery, PA and up through northern WVA but I've always regretted not seeing Falling Water.....before the major safety renovations.
MANY years back the wife and I took a trip to Uniontown, PA and took an impromptu unplanned trip to all the sites in the Mt. Washington/Ft. Neccesity area it was quite fun -but- I kept seeing the Falling Water signs and being a Frank Lloyd Wright fan wanted to see it but we just ran out of time.
We drove back in the fall through beautiful Scenery, PA and up through northern WVA but I've always regretted not seeing Falling Water.....before the major safety renovations.
I don't know what major safety renovations they may have made.....but whatever they did did not take away from the auspiciousness of the place....at least from what I can tell.
-
MANY years back the wife and I took a trip to Uniontown, PA and took an impromptu unplanned trip to all the sites in the Mt. Washington/Ft. Neccesity area it was quite fun -but- I kept seeing the Falling Water signs and being a Frank Lloyd Wright fan wanted to see it but we just ran out of time.
We drove back in the fall through beautiful Scenery, PA and up through northern WVA but I've always regretted not seeing Falling Water.....before the major safety renovations.
I don't know what major safety renovations they may have made.....but whatever they did did not take away from the auspiciousness of the place....at least from what I can tell.
http://old.post-gazette.com/lifestyle/20011208lowry1208fnp3.aspI don't know what major safety renovations they may have made.....but whatever they did did not take away from the auspiciousness of the place....at least from what I can tell.
I saw this on PBS, it was quite interesting.
....Analysis showed that the living room cantilever supports not only itself but the one above it -- the master terrace that leads from the master bedroom and rests on the living room's steel window frames. To stop the deflection, Silman determined there was only one pragmatic solution: Strengthen three of the four concrete beams under the living room with a post-tensioning system that will hold them tautly in place. High-strength steel cables will be added along each side of the beams, with one end anchored in new concrete blocks attached to the beams and the other end fed through a hole drilled through the outside wall of the living room.
Hydraulic jacks will gradually tighten the cables and then permanently anchor them, stopping the deflection. The engineers won't try to correct it; at this point that would only cause more problems. Just as importantly, the deflection will continue to tell, at a glance, the 20th-century history of the house.
In addition to making other structural repairs, workers also are waterproofing the flat-roofed house. Water damage is especially evident in the guest bathroom, where the cork walls are stained and concrete is spalling.
The house that cost $155,000 to build will take $11.5 million to restore, a figure that also includes water treatment, sewage and landscape improvements to be done over the next few years. Restoration of the house will be completed next year......
-
Chris, as long as it isn't United!
WSS
-
Chris, as long as it isn't United!
WSS
Chris, as long as it isn't United!
WSS
My somewhat "bad" experience was with Frontier. I have flown mostly Delta and United and that has been OK generally. I mean, you get treated like a piece of luggage no matter which airline you go with. Fees for luggage, no free real food anymore (pretzels and pop...which sometimes they make you pay for), cramped seating. But Frontier was just worse.
-
OK so what the fuck is the deal with the different time zones between Utah, Arizona, Navajo etc. Seriously, wtf. We have a tour booked that says like "11am (Arizona Time, Pacific Daylight Time)" and then "all our times are quoted in Mountain Standard Time"
So I google to check and they are different times. So which is it? MST is clearly different to PDT and yet they're completely ignoring that. Does anyone have a clue what the answer is?
-
I think mountain time is 1 hr earlier than pacific. So if pacific time is 11:00 mountain time will be 10:00.
-
That's what I thought, but this tour company doesn't seem to understand that. We've decided to just call ahead the night before and ask "in how many hours?" or something.
-
Actually I'm backwards it's later. So 11 pacific time is 12 mountain time. Sorry about that
-
OK so what the fuck is the deal with the different time zones between Utah, Arizona, Navajo etc. Seriously, wtf. We have a tour booked that says like "11am (Arizona Time, Pacific Daylight Time)" and then "all our times are quoted in Mountain Standard Time"
So I google to check and they are different times. So which is it? MST is clearly different to PDT and yet they're completely ignoring that. Does anyone have a clue what the answer is?
OK so what the fuck is the deal with the different time zones between Utah, Arizona, Navajo etc. Seriously, wtf. We have a tour booked that says like "11am (Arizona Time, Pacific Daylight Time)" and then "all our times are quoted in Mountain Standard Time"
So I google to check and they are different times. So which is it? MST is clearly different to PDT and yet they're completely ignoring that. Does anyone have a clue what the answer is?
Ah! I guess you should have been warned about that. The state of Arizona does not change when the rest of the nation does.....except on the Navajo reservation. So, yes, while they are in the mountain time zone, for part of the year they have the same time as the Pacific time zone, and for part of the year they have the same as the Mountain Time Zone. Just be careful with it.
-
You have a Retarded country in some ways.
-
You have a Retard country in some ways.
What we have are 50 states that set their own rules and laws about various things......and actually more than that because as you may be aware by now, the Indian reservations also have their own set of rules and laws that may vary even from the state in which they are located.
Its why you have sports gambling and prostitution legal in Nevada....but nothing of the sort in neighboring Utah where you can't even buy a lottery ticket. It is why you have time zone differences such as the ones you have experienced. It is why you have some states that have not had the death penalty in like 100 years, and others, like Texas, that are executing people at a rate of 50-60 a year.
Are there not variances in laws/rules/statutes between say England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland? Multiply those differences you have by about a factor of 10 or 15.
-
Nope, no differences in law. It's more like differences between EU countries to be honest, which I get, but you have one country. And think about this - I start on the AZ/NV border, and it's midday. I go east, in to Navajo land, it's 1pm. I keep going east, and it's back to 12pm.
-
Nope, no differences in law. It's more like differences between EU countries to be honest, which I get, but you have one country. And think about this - I start on the AZ/NV border, and it's midday. I go east, in to Navajo land, it's 1pm. I keep going east, and it's back to 12pm.
Nope, no differences in law. It's more like differences between EU countries to be honest, which I get, but you have one country. And think about this - I start on the AZ/NV border, and it's midday. I go east, in to Navajo land, it's 1pm. I keep going east, and it's back to 12pm.
You are probably in the only part of the country where that would happen.
-
Ar. is one hour ahead of MT time half of the year.
-
"One said:
Ar. is one hour ahead of MT time half of the year.
I remember one of our steel manufacturing plants was in St. Joe, IN and they did not change for daylight savings time (might now who knows?) but it was strange coordinating with engineering, manufacturing, sales, the office etc.
They'd have to assign at least one girl there to follow us in Ohio. Confusing for our clients also.
-
Everything is so big here. Which seems odd until you see the people, then you realise it's all in proportion.
-
Here is some food for thought as you plan your summer vacations. Some hints for your travels, all USA (incl. possessions):
Best Sunset: Cape Flattery, Washington
Best Sunrise: On top of Mt. Haleakala, Maui. (honorable mention: Quoddy Head, Maine)
Best Beaches: St. John, US Virgin Islands
Best Patriotic site: Fort McHenry, Baltimore
Best Trees: California: Redwoods/Sequoias/Ancient Bristlecone pine/Joshua Trees
Best Single Vista: Inspiration Point, Yosemite NP (Multiple vistas: Grand Canyon)
Most Fun Town: New Orleans. (Honorable mention: Chicago)
Best Small Town: Woodstock, Vermont. (honorable mentions: Chatham, Mass. Seaside Fla.)
Best Consistent Architecture: Santa Fe, NM
Campiest Attraction: House on the Rock, Spring Green, Wisconsin
Nicest College Campus that is not Kenyon: Duke (honorable mention: Notre Dame)
Nicest State Capitol building: Olympia, Washington (more for it setting than the building itself)
Best Tall Building: Empire State Building
Best Statue not called Liberty: Mt. Rushmore
Best Scenic Town Setting: Sedona, Arizona
Best City Park System: Savannah, Georgia
Gawdiest Display of Wealth: Newport, Rhode Island
Best Stadium: Wrigley Field
Best preserved Western Town: Tombstone, Ariz. (honorable mention: Lincoln NM)
Best hiking for the average person: Cuyahoga Valley National Park
Best Lake: Crater Lake
Best Mountain Range: The Grand Tetons
Best Casino: Lakeside Inn and Casino, Stateline Nevada (Tahoe)
Best Aquariam: National Aquariam, Baltimore
Best Breakfast/Dinner combination: Camellia Grill and Commander's Palace, New Orleans
Feel free to add your own
Here is some food for thought as you plan your summer vacations. Some hints for your travels, all USA (incl. possessions):
Best Sunset: Cape Flattery, Washington
Best Sunrise: On top of Mt. Haleakala, Maui. (honorable mention: Quoddy Head, Maine)
Best Beaches: St. John, US Virgin Islands
Best Patriotic site: Fort McHenry, Baltimore
Best Trees: California: Redwoods/Sequoias/Ancient Bristlecone pine/Joshua Trees
Best Single Vista: Inspiration Point, Yosemite NP (Multiple vistas: Grand Canyon)
Most Fun Town: New Orleans. (Honorable mention: Chicago)
Best Small Town: Woodstock, Vermont. (honorable mentions: Chatham, Mass. Seaside Fla.)
Best Consistent Architecture: Santa Fe, NM
Campiest Attraction: House on the Rock, Spring Green, Wisconsin
Nicest College Campus that is not Kenyon: Duke (honorable mention: Notre Dame)
Nicest State Capitol building: Olympia, Washington (more for it setting than the building itself)
Best Tall Building: Empire State Building
Best Statue not called Liberty: Mt. Rushmore
Best Scenic Town Setting: Sedona, Arizona
Best City Park System: Savannah, Georgia
Gawdiest Display of Wealth: Newport, Rhode Island
Best Stadium: Wrigley Field
Best preserved Western Town: Tombstone, Ariz. (honorable mention: Lincoln NM)
Best hiking for the average person: Cuyahoga Valley National Park
Best Lake: Crater Lake
Best Mountain Range: The Grand Tetons
Best Casino: Lakeside Inn and Casino, Stateline Nevada (Tahoe)
Best Aquariam: National Aquariam, Baltimore
Best Breakfast/Dinner combination: Camellia Grill and Commander's Palace, New Orleans
Feel free to add your own
just at crater lake last week before last
-
Lots of things are very different. When I get back homeboy sure I will go in to lots of detail. But for now...every ATM charges like $3-4 for withdrawal? What's up with that? And gas stations are weird with the prepaying. That doesn't exist back home - you pull in, fill up and pay.
Not that things are bad, just different.
-
Lots of things are very different. When I get back homeboy sure I will go in to lots of detail. But for now...every ATM charges like $3-4 for withdrawal? What's up with that? And gas stations are weird with the prepaying. That doesn't exist back home - you pull in, fill up and pay.
Not that things are bad, just different.
Lots of things are very different. When I get back homeboy sure I will go in to lots of detail. But for now...every ATM charges like $3-4 for withdrawal? What's up with that? And gas stations are weird with the prepaying. That doesn't exist back home - you pull in, fill up and pay.
Not that things are bad, just different.
You're not in Kansas anymore.
-
Lots of things are very different. When I get back homeboy sure I will go in to lots of detail. But for now...every ATM charges like $3-4 for withdrawal? What's up with that? And gas stations are weird with the prepaying. That doesn't exist back home - you pull in, fill up and pay.
Not that things are bad, just different.
Lots of things are very different. When I get back homeboy sure I will go in to lots of detail. But for now...every ATM charges like $3-4 for withdrawal?
I don't know about this....perhaps because you are using a foreign account....or more because they are just greedy. Banks are greedy in case you haven't heard.
What's up with that? And gas stations are weird with the prepaying. That doesn't exist back home - you pull in, fill up and pay.
While this is very nearly universal and understandable. Way,way too many gas and dash going on here if they didn't require prepayment.
Not that things are bad, just different.
That works both ways....in case you don't remember this famous conversation:
You know what the funniest thing about Europe is?
What?
It’s the little differences. I mean, they got the same shit over there that we got here, but it’s just…it’s just there it’s a little different. Take McDonald's. In France, you can buy beer at McDonalds. And you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
They don't call it a Quarter Pouder with Cheese?
No, they got the metric system, they wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is. They call it a Royale with Cheese
Pulp Fiction
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login