Skip to content

The Gipper's Guide to America

Barber Shop Talk
366 26 26.4k
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    Trip to New York City.  New National Park units I had visited:

    St. Paul's Church, Mt. Vernon NY

    Hamilton Grange National Memorial

    General Grant National Memorial  (Grant's tomb)

    African Burial Ground National Memorial

    Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace National Historic site.

    East Side Tenement National Historic Site

    Stonewall National Historic site

    Federal Hall National Memorial

    Castle Clinton National Monument

    The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island National Monument

    Governor's Island National Monument

    Sagamore Hill National Monument  (T. Roosevelt's home on Long Island)

    Fire Island National Seashore

    Also revisited the Upper Delaware National Scenic River

    This now gives me a total of 368 out 419 that I have visited.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    that is amazing, Gip. btw, we were watching some tv show about disappearances in national parks.

    have you ever heard of those? I'm sure most of them just get lost after going on a false trail...

  • that is amazing, Gip. btw, we were watching some tv show about disappearances in national parks.

    have you ever heard of those? I'm sure most of them just get lost after going on a false trail...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @calfoxwc said:

    that is amazing, Gip. btw, we were watching some tv show about disappearances in national parks.

    have you ever heard of those? I'm sure most of them just get lost after going on a false trail...

    Some...but I do know that there also have been some abductions from out of the national Parks.  But more likely the ones you are thinking of are people getting lost, and probably dying of exposure.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    I also just came back from Missouri where I visited some other National Park units....but I had been to each of these at some point in time before:

    The Gateway Arch National Park  (recently redesignated as such from a National Monument)

    Ozark National Scenic Riverway

    Lincoln Home National Historic Park 

    So...these don't add to my count.    And while in a months time, I will be making a trip to Wyoming and seeing a few parks, they will also be repeat visits.  (Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Bighorn Canyon)

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    Greetings from Wyoming. Currently in Cody will be in Jackson for a week and will hope to hit Yellowstone in grand Teton if this big major snowstorm doesn’t put a damper on thing s 

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    I hope we get a chance to get out there next year. Our NC friends can't do it til then...

    other friends want us to go on a camping trip out there - but we camp in a tent, and have heard

    that some camping parks don't allow any tents or hybrid popup campers because of bears.

      I don't know - I would just hang a bug zapper lit up out near the tent front door, that should keep em away....lol

  • I hope we get a chance to get out there next year. Our NC friends can't do it til then...

    other friends want us to go on a camping trip out there - but we camp in a tent, and have heard

    that some camping parks don't allow any tents or hybrid popup campers because of bears.

      I don't know - I would just hang a bug zapper lit up out near the tent front door, that should keep em away....lol

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @calfoxwc said:

    .....but we camp in a tent, and have heard that some camping parks don't allow any tents or hybrid popup campers because of bears.

      I don't know - I would just hang a bug zapper lit up out near the tent front door, that should keep em away....lol

    If you hang out a sign under the lit up bug zapper that points to the camper on wheels that says "Honey Inside", they will leave you alone.???

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    On my recent trip to Wyoming I again visited some "old friends"  i.e. National Park Units that I had been to before.

    Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area.   Though this time I visited the southern section, whereas before I had been to the northern section.

    Yellowstone National Park.    I had previously been to most areas of Yellowstone, but this time I hit a few spots that I had not stopped in before.  And it is always nice to go back. This was my 3rd time there. For my travel companion, it was his 10th time!

    Grand Teton NP.   My previous time here was somewhat cursory being just a "passing through" situation, so this time, staying in Jackson, just 5 miles away, I was able to do a much more in depth visit to this park.

    So, my count stays put.  I have been to 368 of the 419 units.  Though I did do a check....I have only 33  park units left on the Continental US to visit.  Nineteen of those are in only 3 states:  9 in Northern New Mexico,  5 in Washington and 5 in California. In no other state are there more than 2. (not currently scheduled to visit any of those states....though I am considering a winter So.  Calif. visit)

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    I found this on the internet for those who enjoy seeing starry skies unencumbered by air and light pollution.

    https://www.theparkcatalog.com/blog/certified-dark-sky-parks-in-the-united-states/

  • I found this on the internet for those who enjoy seeing starry skies unencumbered by air and light pollution.

    https://www.theparkcatalog.com/blog/certified-dark-sky-parks-in-the-united-states/

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    I found this on the internet for those who enjoy seeing starry skies unencumbered by air and light pollution.

    https://www.theparkcatalog.com/blog/certified-dark-sky-parks-in-the-united-states/

    Interesting that neither Yellowstone nor Grand Teton are on that list, considering how remote they are from any major cities.  I have done some stargazing at several of these parks. Most recently Big Bend earlier in like February.  (but I did not really think to do stargazing in the Tetons.  I was literally going to bed at like 9:00 pm.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I found this on the internet for those who enjoy seeing starry skies unencumbered by air and light pollution.

    https://www.theparkcatalog.com/blog/certified-dark-sky-parks-in-the-united-states/

    Interesting that neither Yellowstone nor Grand Teton are on that list, considering how remote they are from any major cities.  I have done some stargazing at several of these parks. Most recently Big Bend earlier in like February.  (but I did not really think to do stargazing in the Tetons.  I was literally going to bed at like 9:00 pm.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    @the-gipper said:

    Interesting that neither Yellowstone nor Grand Teton are on that list, considering how remote they are from any major cities.  I have done some stargazing at several of these parks. Most recently Big Bend earlier in like February.  (but I did not really think to do stargazing in the Tetons.  I was literally going to bed at like 9:00 pm.

    The back side of Rocky Mountain National Park is phenomenal during the summer when prevailing winds of W to E are in play and any afternoon cloudiness has cleared with those winds. And it really isn't bad either from the Estes Park side under those conditions when looking West away from any lights of Denver. My brother's back porch is set so you sit facing that direction and anything from Denver has his house between us and the light source. Spectacular star counting (well estimation in millions anyway). And the longer you stay out there the more you realize you're on a little ball that is rotating in relation to those stars. In August you get to experience the meteor showers. ?

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    Interesting article on National Park System:

    https://cosmosmagazine.com/society/national-parks-estimated-to-save-trillions-in-mental-health-costs

    Obviously needs a lot more viable research.

  • Interesting article on National Park System:

    https://cosmosmagazine.com/society/national-parks-estimated-to-save-trillions-in-mental-health-costs

    Obviously needs a lot more viable research.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    Interesting article on National Park System:

    https://cosmosmagazine.com/society/national-parks-estimated-to-save-trillions-in-mental-health-costs

    Obviously needs a lot more viable research.

    I agree, it helps.  Not sure how they can come up with some kind of dollar figure however.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I found this on the internet for those who enjoy seeing starry skies unencumbered by air and light pollution.

    https://www.theparkcatalog.com/blog/certified-dark-sky-parks-in-the-united-states/

    Interesting that neither Yellowstone nor Grand Teton are on that list, considering how remote they are from any major cities.  I have done some stargazing at several of these parks. Most recently Big Bend earlier in like February.  (but I did not really think to do stargazing in the Tetons.  I was literally going to bed at like 9:00 pm.

    AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Interesting that neither Yellowstone nor Grand Teton are on that list, considering how remote they are from any major cities. 

    Even more amazing to me was that 2 Florida parks were listed. Trust me, with our humidity it doesn't matter how dark the sky is,  Viewing the night sky is terrible most of the year regardless of the lack of light pollution 🙁

  • AxeA Axe

    @the-gipper said:

    Interesting that neither Yellowstone nor Grand Teton are on that list, considering how remote they are from any major cities. 

    Even more amazing to me was that 2 Florida parks were listed. Trust me, with our humidity it doesn't matter how dark the sky is,  Viewing the night sky is terrible most of the year regardless of the lack of light pollution 🙁

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @axe said:

    Even more amazing to me was that 2 Florida parks were listed. Trust me, with our humidity it doesn't matter how dark the sky is,  Viewing the night sky is terrible most of the year regardless of the lack of light pollution 🙁

    And one of the main reasons it is so starry in Estes Park is that you are already 8000 ft into the atmosphere from where you sit. The heavier atmosphere is well below that level. Same reason that many observatories are built as high as possible. The multiple telescope complex on the Hawaii Big Island is above 13,000 ft.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    Next trip is in Jan/Feb.  to Sedona and Las Vegas...and for a day or two to a place called Deep Springs Cal.   Just north of Death Valley.  I don't think you will find it on any regular map, though your Google gps should bring it up.   It is where my brother lives and works at a college/cattle ranch. Closest semi size town there is Bishop Cal.   

    I suspect the stars at night are big and bright...dun, dun, dun, dun deep in that part of the country.  We shall see.

    I do plan to visit a couple of new NP units:   Castle Mtns...In Cal...out sort of Laughlin way.  Plus  the Tule Fossil Beds...just outside of Vegas.  Plus, I will certainly  re-visit a couple of major parks.  The aforementioned  Death Valley, plus the Grand Canyon, and maybe a couple of others that are somewhat close to Sedona. 

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by

    Love Sedona, Been there a few times and was even scouting out real estate there at one time..

    If you get a chance and haven't seen it yet, Canyon De Chelly.. I can't recommend it highly enough!

    31647_395638831510_3892185_n.jpg?_nc_cat

  • AxeA Axe

    Love Sedona, Been there a few times and was even scouting out real estate there at one time..

    If you get a chance and haven't seen it yet, Canyon De Chelly.. I can't recommend it highly enough!

    31647_395638831510_3892185_n.jpg?_nc_cat

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @axe said:

    Love Sedona, Been there a few times and was even scouting out real estate there at one time..

    If you get a chance and haven't seen it yet, Canyon De Chelly.. I can't recommend it highly enough!

    31647_395638831510_3892185_n.jpg?_nc_cat

    Been there, done that a couple of times.

  • @axe said:

    Love Sedona, Been there a few times and was even scouting out real estate there at one time..

    If you get a chance and haven't seen it yet, Canyon De Chelly.. I can't recommend it highly enough!

    31647_395638831510_3892185_n.jpg?_nc_cat

    Been there, done that a couple of times.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Been there, done that a couple of times.

    Were you required to go with a Navajo guide and if so what was the cost? It's on my bucket list, but "basically I'm on my way to Australia"-James Garner in Support Your Local Sheriff ?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Been there, done that a couple of times.

    Were you required to go with a Navajo guide and if so what was the cost? It's on my bucket list, but "basically I'm on my way to Australia"-James Garner in Support Your Local Sheriff ?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    Were you required to go with a Navajo guide and if so what was the cost? It's on my bucket list, but "basically I'm on my way to Australia"-James Garner in Support Your Local Sheriff ?

    More or less to go fully into the Canyon.  You jump on a truck and they take you  in and around.  But that is only for IN the Canyon.  For all views above the Canyon rim, you just drive yourself and stop as you please. I was there I think in 1999 and again in like 2005....so I don't recall the costs. But it was perfectly affordable.   Tip your guide.