Skip to content

The Gipper's Guide to America

Barber Shop Talk
366 26 26.4k
  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by

    Love Sedona, Been there a few times and was even scouting out real estate there at one time..

    If you get a chance and haven't seen it yet, Canyon De Chelly.. I can't recommend it highly enough!

    31647_395638831510_3892185_n.jpg?_nc_cat

  • AxeA Axe

    Love Sedona, Been there a few times and was even scouting out real estate there at one time..

    If you get a chance and haven't seen it yet, Canyon De Chelly.. I can't recommend it highly enough!

    31647_395638831510_3892185_n.jpg?_nc_cat

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @axe said:

    Love Sedona, Been there a few times and was even scouting out real estate there at one time..

    If you get a chance and haven't seen it yet, Canyon De Chelly.. I can't recommend it highly enough!

    31647_395638831510_3892185_n.jpg?_nc_cat

    Been there, done that a couple of times.

  • @axe said:

    Love Sedona, Been there a few times and was even scouting out real estate there at one time..

    If you get a chance and haven't seen it yet, Canyon De Chelly.. I can't recommend it highly enough!

    31647_395638831510_3892185_n.jpg?_nc_cat

    Been there, done that a couple of times.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Been there, done that a couple of times.

    Were you required to go with a Navajo guide and if so what was the cost? It's on my bucket list, but "basically I'm on my way to Australia"-James Garner in Support Your Local Sheriff ?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Been there, done that a couple of times.

    Were you required to go with a Navajo guide and if so what was the cost? It's on my bucket list, but "basically I'm on my way to Australia"-James Garner in Support Your Local Sheriff ?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    Were you required to go with a Navajo guide and if so what was the cost? It's on my bucket list, but "basically I'm on my way to Australia"-James Garner in Support Your Local Sheriff ?

    More or less to go fully into the Canyon.  You jump on a truck and they take you  in and around.  But that is only for IN the Canyon.  For all views above the Canyon rim, you just drive yourself and stop as you please. I was there I think in 1999 and again in like 2005....so I don't recall the costs. But it was perfectly affordable.   Tip your guide.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    Word to the wise. Do not ever take the Epcot Mission Space training trip to Mars. It is a centrifuge based ride that takes you to 2.5 Gs which is more than you get in a simple space shot up to the spacelab. When you're an old fart you get close to passout level. Made several people use the barfbags. I went on multiple roller coasters but none hit that level of g-force for sustained periods of up to 1/2 min. like this one did. Anyway we celebrated our upcoming 50th with all our children and grandchildren plus siblings and some of their families (19 in all). Had a good time all week if you like standing in long lives. Favorites were "Sourin'" in Epcot and "Skull Island King Kong" in Universal Studios.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    Stars are numerous and shining bright off my brother's back porch in Estes Park. Just got in tonight and all the weather cleared out just in time. No smog or ozone at all up here at 8,000 ft. And listening to a big ole hoot owl out there somewhere in the distance.

  • Stars are numerous and shining bright off my brother's back porch in Estes Park. Just got in tonight and all the weather cleared out just in time. No smog or ozone at all up here at 8,000 ft. And listening to a big ole hoot owl out there somewhere in the distance.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    Stars are numerous and shining bright off my brother's back porch in Estes Park. Just got in tonight and all the weather cleared out just in time. No smog or ozone at all up here at 8,000 ft. And listening to a big ole hoot owl out there somewhere in the distance.

    I assume you saw my son's photo of a Snowy Owl I posted on here.   Speaking of brothers and stars.....I plan to go up to my brother's place for a day or two when I am in Vegas.  He lives out past the north end of Death Valley....and there is absolutely nothing up that way. Highly remote. The stars should be crazy from there. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Stars are numerous and shining bright off my brother's back porch in Estes Park. Just got in tonight and all the weather cleared out just in time. No smog or ozone at all up here at 8,000 ft. And listening to a big ole hoot owl out there somewhere in the distance.

    I assume you saw my son's photo of a Snowy Owl I posted on here.   Speaking of brothers and stars.....I plan to go up to my brother's place for a day or two when I am in Vegas.  He lives out past the north end of Death Valley....and there is absolutely nothing up that way. Highly remote. The stars should be crazy from there. 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    @the-gipper said:

    I assume you saw my son's photo of a Snowy Owl I posted on here.   Speaking of brothers and stars.....I plan to go up to my brother's place for a day or two when I am in Vegas.  He lives out past the north end of Death Valley....and there is absolutely nothing up that way. Highly remote. The stars should be crazy from there. 

    Yes I saw the picture-impressive.  This morning I was looking through clear air above Estes west into the mountains past the Sheep Lakes area in RMNP. There was a very thick cloud in between the peaks snowing thickly like cotton and already fallen snow blowing off the side peaks so much so that it appeared like the two sources were converging into a river of snow flowing down the valley towards the lakes. Too bad I had no camera with me.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    Just bringing this up to date. I took the Deer Mountain Trail in Rocky M. N.P. yesterday which starts just under 9000 ft. and gains just over 1400 ft. in elevation in just over 3 miles. Then you have to walk the 3 miles back. The switchbacks and and then the stairsteps to the top the last 100m + are coronary killers. At nearing 74 I would not do this, but having done well on both thallium stress test and coronary aneurysm scans in recent years since retirement gave me confidence the MDs knew what they were doing. Otherwise I would not be showing you this video I found ? that actually matched snowy & sunny conditions I found all the way up and back. Beautiful no wind day with not a cloud anywhere.

     
     
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    Now that you revived this thread, I will do some catching up with it myself from the past year:

    In January and February I spent  a week in Sedona AZ  courtesy of a Getaway into the Hyatt Pinon Pointe, plus another week in Las Vegas via AC at the Club de Soleil.

    While in Vegas, I was able to visit two new  National Park Units that I had not been to before:

    Tule Springs Fossil Beds National Monument.     This is a fairly new park unit that covers a huge swath of land that borders the north to northwest of Las Vegas.  Some portions of it are "badlands" type topography which is adjacent to the Las Vegas Shooting range.  And part of it takes in some of the "Big Dig"  that happened there. The problem is, there is nothing to see.  Except for those badlands which have no designated trails, most of the park is just  scrub desert.  There is no visitor center and no museum that houses the fossils like there are in other fossil oriented NP units.  There is just a sign and a story board that you can read.  This is one of my pet peeves about the NPS....they create a park, but do no development of it for years.  This park has been in existence since 2014, and nothing of note has been done to make a visit there informative in the 5-6 years it has existed.

    Castle Mountains National Monument.    The same situation exists regarding this NP Unit.  Nothing much has been developed.   This unit is surround on like 3 and a half sides by the Mojave National Preserve (also a NP unit).  I am not sure why this has been made a separate unit to be honest.  Out of Searchlight Nevada you go down a fairly well maintained dirt road for like 17 miles along and through the park. You see the mountains there, but not much else besides tons of Joshua Tree. Don't get me wrong, it is very scenic and worth the drive down that road. But, again...nothing there.  Just a sign...and not even a story board.  It does look like they are working on an old ghost town that is there, which takes a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get to. 

    During my two weeks, I did re-visit a number of NP units that I had been to before, including:

    Lake Mead National Recreation Area

    Grand Canyon National Park

    Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument

    Wupatki National Monument

    Tuzigoot National Monument

    Mojave National Preserve

    Death Valley National Park

    Manzanar National Historic Site

    I need to double check but I believe that puts me at visiting 367 of the 419 NP units. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    Checking in on the National Parks.   On my last two trips I did not hit on any new ones that I had not been to before. But on my way back from Texas in July my wife and I did stop at Hot Springs National Park.  I had been there a couple of times before (even stayed a week there on an II trade) but she had not.   Also, just this past week I return visited up and down the Upper Delaware National Scenic River there in the Catskills area.   

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    I have learned that  there are 2 new National Park Units, just formed here in late September 2020:

    Dwight D. Eisenhower Memorial,   Washington DC.   Located along the National Mall, near the Air and Space Museum.

    Mill Springs National Battlefield.    Located in southern Kentucky. West of Corbin.  A Civil War Battlefield. 

    This brings the total up to  421 total Units.   I have not been to these two.  I have certainly been on the National Mall, but this was not there at the time. 

    My personal count stayed the same at  367....But it now means that there are 31 NP units....in the lower 48 that I have to go to.   I plan to hit 3 of these later this month. And then  another 9 in April;  1 in May.  1 in July maybe,  then 5 in August, which would make 19 of the 31.   Plus, I am thinking of perhaps hitting these new ones on short trips of only a couple of days.  I can drive to them easily enough. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    New National Park Units visited on my recent trip to  Colorado and Utah

    Yucca House National Monument.   Yucca House are some ruins of an ancient Pueblo Indian Village in southwest Colorado, about 15 miles south of Cortez. The thing about this unit is that the National Park Service has essentially wholly neglected this unit. I don't know if this is purposeful or not. There is no visitor center, no established paths around the ruins.  The ruins are overrun by vegetation. They are really just out back of some farmer's ranch, with a sign and a gate to go through to get to them. This place is in some need of some serious archaeological attention, if they expect it to be a viable preserved unit. Right now all I saw was a place that was deteriorating in place. 

    Hovenweep National Monument.  This unit straddles the Colorado/Utah border. Unlike the above unit, this unit has been well developed...and preserved.  There is a visitor center, and a hike around a canyon with many well ancient pueblo ruins that have been preserved. There are "castles" and towers, that look like preserved "medieval" structures, which, they sort of are. They have been there since sometime between the 1100-1300 period. 

    Rainbow Bridge National Monument.   Rainbow Bridge is a natural bridge, which you have been seeing in my avatar the last couple of months. I will only say that I had issues with getting access to this monument, but I put it on my count as having gotten there nevertheless. 

    Other national Park Units I re=visited:

    Rocky Mountain National Park  (before the fires shut it down)

    Florrisant Fossil Beds NM

    Great Sand Dunes NP

    Mesa Verde NP

    Natural Bridges NM

    Glen Canyon NRA

    Capitol Reef NP

    Cedar Breaks NM

    Bryce Canyon NP

    Zion NP

    Pipe Spring NP

    My personal count is now up to 370  NP units.  Out of 421. (see previous post where 2 were added in September).  My goal is to hit all the ones in the "lower 48".  That means I have 28 to go. Again, see above re my plans to visit a number of them. 

  • New National Park Units visited on my recent trip to  Colorado and Utah

    Yucca House National Monument.   Yucca House are some ruins of an ancient Pueblo Indian Village in southwest Colorado, about 15 miles south of Cortez. The thing about this unit is that the National Park Service has essentially wholly neglected this unit. I don't know if this is purposeful or not. There is no visitor center, no established paths around the ruins.  The ruins are overrun by vegetation. They are really just out back of some farmer's ranch, with a sign and a gate to go through to get to them. This place is in some need of some serious archaeological attention, if they expect it to be a viable preserved unit. Right now all I saw was a place that was deteriorating in place. 

    Hovenweep National Monument.  This unit straddles the Colorado/Utah border. Unlike the above unit, this unit has been well developed...and preserved.  There is a visitor center, and a hike around a canyon with many well ancient pueblo ruins that have been preserved. There are "castles" and towers, that look like preserved "medieval" structures, which, they sort of are. They have been there since sometime between the 1100-1300 period. 

    Rainbow Bridge National Monument.   Rainbow Bridge is a natural bridge, which you have been seeing in my avatar the last couple of months. I will only say that I had issues with getting access to this monument, but I put it on my count as having gotten there nevertheless. 

    Other national Park Units I re=visited:

    Rocky Mountain National Park  (before the fires shut it down)

    Florrisant Fossil Beds NM

    Great Sand Dunes NP

    Mesa Verde NP

    Natural Bridges NM

    Glen Canyon NRA

    Capitol Reef NP

    Cedar Breaks NM

    Bryce Canyon NP

    Zion NP

    Pipe Spring NP

    My personal count is now up to 370  NP units.  Out of 421. (see previous post where 2 were added in September).  My goal is to hit all the ones in the "lower 48".  That means I have 28 to go. Again, see above re my plans to visit a number of them. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @the-gipper said:

    New National Park Units visited on my recent trip to  Colorado and Utah

    Yucca House National Monument.   Yucca House are some ruins of an ancient Pueblo Indian Village in southwest Colorado, about 15 miles south of Cortez. The thing about this unit is that the National Park Service has essentially wholly neglected this unit. I don't know if this is purposeful or not. There is no visitor center, no established paths around the ruins.  The ruins are overrun by vegetation. They are really just out back of some farmer's ranch, with a sign and a gate to go through to get to them. This place is in some need of some serious archaeological attention, if they expect it to be a viable preserved unit. Right now all I saw was a place that was deteriorating in place. 

    Hovenweep National Monument.  This unit straddles the Colorado/Utah border. Unlike the above unit, this unit has been well developed...and preserved.  There is a visitor center, and a hike around a canyon with many well ancient pueblo ruins that have been preserved. There are "castles" and towers, that look like preserved "medieval" structures, which, they sort of are. They have been there since sometime between the 1100-1300 period. 

    Rainbow Bridge National Monument.   Rainbow Bridge is a natural bridge, which you have been seeing in my avatar the last couple of months. I will only say that I had issues with getting access to this monument, but I put it on my count as having gotten there nevertheless. 

    Other national Park Units I re=visited:

    My personal count is now up to 370  NP units.  Out of 421. (see previous post where 2 were added in September).  My goal is to hit all the ones in the "lower 48".  That means I have 28 to go. Again, see above re my plans to visit a number of them. 

    In your opinion only do you think that funding or lack of it in some areas enter into the condition of the side ?  Do you think that the "the government can't get to my all" a factor ? Can interested people fix up the sites on their own like weekend projects or do they not want that ?

    Or does lack of interest by the public to have the government spend money on small sites a factor ?

  • @the-gipper said:

    New National Park Units visited on my recent trip to  Colorado and Utah

    Yucca House National Monument.   Yucca House are some ruins of an ancient Pueblo Indian Village in southwest Colorado, about 15 miles south of Cortez. The thing about this unit is that the National Park Service has essentially wholly neglected this unit. I don't know if this is purposeful or not. There is no visitor center, no established paths around the ruins.  The ruins are overrun by vegetation. They are really just out back of some farmer's ranch, with a sign and a gate to go through to get to them. This place is in some need of some serious archaeological attention, if they expect it to be a viable preserved unit. Right now all I saw was a place that was deteriorating in place. 

    Hovenweep National Monument.  This unit straddles the Colorado/Utah border. Unlike the above unit, this unit has been well developed...and preserved.  There is a visitor center, and a hike around a canyon with many well ancient pueblo ruins that have been preserved. There are "castles" and towers, that look like preserved "medieval" structures, which, they sort of are. They have been there since sometime between the 1100-1300 period. 

    Rainbow Bridge National Monument.   Rainbow Bridge is a natural bridge, which you have been seeing in my avatar the last couple of months. I will only say that I had issues with getting access to this monument, but I put it on my count as having gotten there nevertheless. 

    Other national Park Units I re=visited:

    My personal count is now up to 370  NP units.  Out of 421. (see previous post where 2 were added in September).  My goal is to hit all the ones in the "lower 48".  That means I have 28 to go. Again, see above re my plans to visit a number of them. 

    In your opinion only do you think that funding or lack of it in some areas enter into the condition of the side ?  Do you think that the "the government can't get to my all" a factor ? Can interested people fix up the sites on their own like weekend projects or do they not want that ?

    Or does lack of interest by the public to have the government spend money on small sites a factor ?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    In your opinion only do you think that funding or lack of it in some areas enter into the condition of the side ?  Do you think that the "the government can't get to my all" a factor ? Can interested people fix up the sites on their own like weekend projects or do they not want that ?

    Or does lack of interest by the public to have the government spend money on small sites a factor ?

    I don't think your last sentence is a factor. Per se.  If there is a lack of interest in many of these "small" parks it is because they are just not well known.  

    But I do think you are right about the statements made in your first paragraph.  Lack of funding is obviously an issue....ergo leaving a lot of needs "not gotten to".  There are a lot of people that do just what you say:  volunteer their time to work on park projects...but that would never really be enough. 

    In the case of Yucca House....when reading the website there, it almost seems like it is the intent of the NPS to leave that place in in current fallow nature. Not sure why when many other similar park units undergo archaeological undertakings and preservation, where this one does not. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    Two new  National Park Units have  been created:

    St. Genevieve National Historic Park.   Missouri.    This is like the oldest river town on the Mississippi above Louisiana

    Medgar and Myrlie Evers National Historic Park.   Jackson Mississippi.  Home of the Civil Rights leader who was assassinated by white supremacists. 

    This makes a total of  423  National Park Units.   I have been to 370.   for  total of  53 not visited by me. (though my goal is to only hit like  40 of them) Plan is to hit a couple here between February and April if possible  after I have gotten the vaccine.  Then to hit  9 of them in New Mexico in April,  if the quarantine in that state is lifted.  (right now they have some of the most strict quarantine rules on visitors in the nation).   Then one in May in Nebraska. One in July in Mississippi (Evers...as I will be going through Jackson then).  5 in August in Washington  plus 2-3 in Alaska if my scheduled cruise can still happen.   And then who knows a

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    See this link for the current travel restrictions in place in each state.

    What appears is that almost the entire Southeast is completely wide open for travel, except for some limited areas of Arkansas and Kentucky (not because they are less hard hit....they just prioritize tourist dollars over health and safety).   Most of the Northeast does have some stringent statewide restrictions in place.  The Midwest and the West Coast also have restrictions, sometimes in just specific cities.  I have actually twice had trips to Chicago called off because of restrictions, first last summer, then at Thanksgiving. 

    The state with the most stringent rules?:   New Mexico.   Mandatory 14 day quarantine for anyone coming into the state.    And of course you know where my next major vacation I had planned was to:   New Mexico.   Where I had planned to hit  9 new NP units.    If things  don't lighten up by the first part of March, I will have to alter my plans.

    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/map-coronavirus-travel-restrictions-inside-united-states-n1236157

  • See this link for the current travel restrictions in place in each state.

    What appears is that almost the entire Southeast is completely wide open for travel, except for some limited areas of Arkansas and Kentucky (not because they are less hard hit....they just prioritize tourist dollars over health and safety).   Most of the Northeast does have some stringent statewide restrictions in place.  The Midwest and the West Coast also have restrictions, sometimes in just specific cities.  I have actually twice had trips to Chicago called off because of restrictions, first last summer, then at Thanksgiving. 

    The state with the most stringent rules?:   New Mexico.   Mandatory 14 day quarantine for anyone coming into the state.    And of course you know where my next major vacation I had planned was to:   New Mexico.   Where I had planned to hit  9 new NP units.    If things  don't lighten up by the first part of March, I will have to alter my plans.

    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/map-coronavirus-travel-restrictions-inside-united-states-n1236157

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    @the-gipper said:

    The state with the most stringent rules?:   New Mexico.   Mandatory 14 day quarantine for anyone coming into the state.    And of course you know where my next major vacation I had planned was to:   New Mexico.   Where I had planned to hit  9 new NP units.    If things  don't lighten up by the first part of March, I will have to alter my plans.

    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/map-coronavirus-travel-restrictions-inside-united-states-n1236157

    Try to get vaccinated ASAP. They may start exceptions for those with vaccines on board. We are scheduled now for Feb 6 and will reschedule the 2nd 3-4 weeks from then. I plan to get proof in writing to take to Colorado in the summer just in case we need it.

  • @the-gipper said:

    The state with the most stringent rules?:   New Mexico.   Mandatory 14 day quarantine for anyone coming into the state.    And of course you know where my next major vacation I had planned was to:   New Mexico.   Where I had planned to hit  9 new NP units.    If things  don't lighten up by the first part of March, I will have to alter my plans.

    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/map-coronavirus-travel-restrictions-inside-united-states-n1236157

    Try to get vaccinated ASAP. They may start exceptions for those with vaccines on board. We are scheduled now for Feb 6 and will reschedule the 2nd 3-4 weeks from then. I plan to get proof in writing to take to Colorado in the summer just in case we need it.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    Try to get vaccinated ASAP. They may start exceptions for those with vaccines on board. We are scheduled now for Feb 6 and will reschedule the 2nd 3-4 weeks from then. I plan to get proof in writing to take to Colorado in the summer just in case we need it.

    Hopefully  ASAP  after Feb. 8th which is when my age group is supposed to start receiving it here in Ohio.

  • @the-gipper said:

    The state with the most stringent rules?:   New Mexico.   Mandatory 14 day quarantine for anyone coming into the state.    And of course you know where my next major vacation I had planned was to:   New Mexico.   Where I had planned to hit  9 new NP units.    If things  don't lighten up by the first part of March, I will have to alter my plans.

    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/map-coronavirus-travel-restrictions-inside-united-states-n1236157

    Try to get vaccinated ASAP. They may start exceptions for those with vaccines on board. We are scheduled now for Feb 6 and will reschedule the 2nd 3-4 weeks from then. I plan to get proof in writing to take to Colorado in the summer just in case we need it.

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    Try to get vaccinated ASAP. They may start exceptions for those with vaccines on board. We are scheduled now for Feb 6 and will reschedule the 2nd 3-4 weeks from then. I plan to get proof in writing to take to Colorado in the summer just in case we need it.

    My wife is a nurse in Ohio. They gave her a wallet card saying when she was vaccinated