Kahne leaving for Hendrick Motorsports
-
Kasey Kahne, the hottest potential free agent in NASCAR entering this season, has signed a multiyear agreement to join Hendrick Motorsports, multiple sources close to the negotiations confirmed to ESPN.com on Tuesday.
It was reported initially that Kahne's deal with Hendrick would begin in 2011, but sources said details of the partnership -- including when Kahne will begin driving for the team and in which car -- are still being finalized.
Kahne
"I've actually thought a lot about that but I'm not sure what I'm going to do next year," Kahne said after taking batting practice with the San Francisco Giants at AT&T Park on Tuesday. "I've given it some thought though."
Sources confirm that Mark Martin will drive the No. 5 car through the 2011 season.
Kahne is in the final year of his contract with Richard Petty Motorsports, and plans to finish the season in the No. 9 Ford, sources said. It is unknown whether Kahne's sponsor, Budweiser, will accompany him to HMS.
RPM sent out a release acknowledging Kahne would not be renewing his contract after this season.
"Kasey is a very talented driver and I have enjoyed watching him race. We all wish him nothing but the best and hope he succeeds in anything he chooses to do," team owner Richard Petty said.
There is room for Martin and Kahne in the Hendrick family. Stewart Haas Racing receives chassis, engines and technical support from HMS. So Kahne could be housed there until Martin's contract was up.
In 2008 Dale Earnhardt Jr. signed a five-year deal with Hendrick. Jimmie Johnson last year signed an extension through 2015, and Jeff Gordon has a lifetime contract.
Hendrick Motorsports officials had no comment.
Calls placed to Kahne, who turned 30 last weekend, and to his agent were not returned.
Mary Smith covers NASCAR for ESPN and ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
-
I heard Danica Patrick is leaving to sit on my face.
-
-
Dude sorry, one thing I cannot get into. I just don't see it as a sport but a very expensive hobby. And yes I know they sit in one seat for hours on end and drive very fast. Sorry man, it's just not a sport.
I mean the training for this sport is go-carts. Really?
-
I think there is a limit as to how many drivers a team can have, thats why it says he might race for Stewart racing untill Martin retires
What seperates a sport from a hobby? A hobby is woodcrafting or knitting a sport is competiting against competition with the intent to win.
-
I think there is a limit as to how many drivers a team can have, thats why it says he might race for Stewart racing untill Martin retires
What seperates a sport from a hobby? A hobby is woodcrafting or knitting a sport is competiting against competition with the intent to win.
nmills said:
What seperates a sport from a hobby? A hobby is woodcrafting or knitting a sport is competiting against competition with the intent to win.Box Derby? Card stacking? There are knitting competitions.
-
If you GO to a NASCAR race.. you'll see the difference, bigtime.
I don't watch it on tv, til the last 5 laps or something.
Danica Patrick is hot....
-
If you GO to a NASCAR race.. you'll see the difference, bigtime.
I don't watch it on tv, til the last 5 laps or something.
Danica Patrick is hot....
If you GO to a NASCAR race.. you'll see the difference, bigtime.
I don't watch it on tv, til the last 5 laps or something.
Danica Patrick is hot....
Had a chance to go to Martinsville when I lived there. Yea I guess I'll catch a race, I saw some amature races in Colorado, still didn't change my mind.
-
nmills said:
What seperates a sport from a hobby? A hobby is woodcrafting or knitting a sport is competiting against competition with the intent to win.Box Derby? Card stacking? There are knitting competitions.
Box Derby? Card stacking? There are knitting competitions.
it would be pointless for me to respond to that
-
Box Derby? Card stacking? There are knitting competitions.
it would be pointless for me to respond to that
nmills said:
it would be pointless for me to respond to thatWhy is that? It's a valid point.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login