Skip to content

Is Detroit Drunk?!

The Browns Board
9 8 1.4k
  • http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/...ernie_sims.html

    ALLEN PARK -- In the most surprising move of the offseason, according to multiple reports, the Detroit Lions have shipped linebacker Ernie Sims to the Philadelphia Eagles, who will trade a fifth-round draft pick to the Denver Broncos, who will then send veteran tight end Tony Scheffler (and a seventh-round pick) to the Lions.

    -------

  • Yeah, I am not sure what they are thinking. Why trade a starting linebacker for next to nothing when you don't have depth?

    Maybe they have something up their sleeve or their starting TE isn't healing from his knee problem very well?

  • They've made some great moves this off season, I am sure they know something we don't.

  • I actually like scheffler alot, but trading for a TE doesn't make much sense when you draft a TE pretty high the year before. Oh well can't say I am to suprised about the lions making a questionable move

  • They got a pretty good rookie from last year that they were high on. His performance just plateued after his rookie year, maybe even went down. They werent going to re-sign him next year, and wanted to get some trade value. Pettigrew tore his ACL, and so Sheffler brings them a good TE while he is recovering and wont need to come back before he is ready.

  • Theres gonna be some pretty good TE's available later in the draft, why not draft one and keep your linebacker.

  • because they didnt like him, and they werent going to end up re-signing him, and he had a big contract, and you dont want a mid-round rookie starting TE for you, especially with a young QB. Remember Pettigrew may not be ready to play in the beginning of the year.

  • I actually like scheffler alot, but trading for a TE doesn't make much sense when you draft a TE pretty high the year before. Oh well can't say I am to suprised about the lions making a questionable move

    @jnuh said:

    I actually like scheffler alot, but trading for a TE doesn't make much sense when you draft a TE pretty high the year before. Oh well can't say I am to suprised about the lions making a questionable move

    I couldn't agree more. Scheffler is a very good TE that will help them in there offensive schemes. I think it is a great trade other than the fact that they got a 7th back. I would have wanted a 5th. Also Sims was a Matt Millen pick and the defense that Detriot is trying to implement calls for bigger linebackers and they didn't feel that Sims was big enough.

  • because they didnt like him, and they werent going to end up re-signing him, and he had a big contract, and you dont want a mid-round rookie starting TE for you, especially with a young QB. Remember Pettigrew may not be ready to play in the beginning of the year.

    @clevelandbigdawg said:

    because they didnt like him, and they werent going to end up re-signing him, and he had a big contract, and you dont want a mid-round rookie starting TE for you, especially with a young QB. Remember Pettigrew may not be ready to play in the beginning of the year.

    Exactly.

    Schwartz is one heck of a coach, especially on defense. He knows what he wants on defense, and Sims evidentially wasn't part of the vision.