Transcript from Joe Haden's news conference on Thursday
-
Transcript from Joe Haden's news conference on Thursday
By Plain Dealer wire services
April 23, 2010, 1:12AM

View full sizeJames Crisp / APCornerback Joe Haden.
(On how he is feeling right now) -- "I am just trying to soak it all up. It's crazy. Just a dream come true. I feel like this is like a blessing."
(On the tears in his eyes and what was said when he learned he would be selected by the Browns) -- "Actually (coach Eric Mangini) was just trying to make me smile because he saw the tears coming out of my eyes. It was just joy, tears of joy, just to finally been able to arrive and know that I'm playing for a team and know where I'm going to be because I just knew it was going to happen. I could see it. Before I got drafted you never really knew where you're going to live, what team you're going to, what situation you're going to be in. I loved Cleveland when I was there and I was just happy that they liked me enough to draft me. On the phone they told me 'You're on TV, so try and smile for us.' "
(On his 40 time at the combine and if he was worried about it hurting him in the draft) -- "At first I was. At first I honestly was, but I knew that my back was messed up and I'm just a competitive player so I like to just go out and compete. If I see players doing football stuff, I just go out there and compete. I knew I had another chance to run again at my pro day, which I did and I ran a 4.41 for Cleveland. That's what the coaches had me at in my 40. I knew I had another chance. I was just thinking at the end of the day all the scouts that talked to me said, 'Joe, your film speaks for itself. I mean if you're were 4.5 covering, you don't look like 4.5 on film at all. You look a whole lot faster.' "
(On if he had a good idea that he was on the Browns radar screen and that had a good chance of coming here) -- "Yes, I definitely had a good idea about that when I talked to (Browns President Mike Holmgren). He definitely was telling me that they were really, really interested in taking me at No. 7. And once he told me that, it just made me have a sigh of relief. Then once I left my visit in Cleveland, I really didn't have contact with anyone from Cleveland so I didn't know if they just stopped liking me or what happened so I just came in here didn't know what was going on."
(On who told him to just smile because you're on TV) -- "Oh, Mangini."
(On how he hurt his back before the NFL Combine) -- "It was working out before the combine. When I got there, it was good, but when I did the bench press at the combine, that's when I re-aggravated it."
(On the pressure in covering a team's number one receiver) -- "There's always pressure when you're out there on an island. It's just you vs. him. At corner, you have to have a one track mind and a short memory. The one thing that I try to do is I definitely put pressure on myself. I'm my biggest critic. When I'm out there, I know that I have to have a lot of film study and a lot of just knowing what is going on and I have to be really comfortable. That's one thing that makes me a whole lot more comfortable when I'm out there, because I like to study film, I like to know what is going on before it happens."
(On what it means to him to have the full confidence of Tim Tebow) -- "Hearing that from Tim, it's definitely a big thing because he is one of the hardest workers that I've ever met in my life. All of the stuff that he talks about as far as work ethic and that he would do anything for the team, he really will. To hear that from Tim, I basically just tried to do the same things as he did. Me and him were on the same workout plan and whenever we practiced, we went 100 miles an hour. Just like Tebow, whenever he practices, he does everything at 100 miles an hour. That's the same thing I did. I noticed that he noticed that because I was trying to lead my DBs and he was trying to lead the whole offense. You recognize people that do the right things and definitely try hard. I was talking to the coaches about it whenever they asked me about him, I just put him as high as he was supposed to be. I don't make up anything because he deserves everything that he can get."
(On being picked by the Browns after early predictions that he would end up here died off) -- "It is kind of crazy. A lot of stuff I had heard had me going to the Browns. It wasn't really from scouts or anything at first, so I was like 'How does everybody know that I'm supposed to be going to Cleveland? How is everybody so sure of that?' It was kind of crazy because I didn't think everybody knew really what they were talking about."
-
sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. still love this pick.
-
Zombo said:
Langham was 9th, Dixon was 22nd, Clarence Scott was 14th ... so, yes, highest we have taken a corner. Hope he's the best.Highest overall DB was E-Rock at #2
DB 2009 6 4 177 Don Carey Norfolk State
2009 6 18 191 Coye Francies San Jose State
2007 2 21 53 Eric Wright Nevada-Las Vegas
2007 5 3 140 Brandon McDonald Memphis
2006 5 20 152 DeMario Minter Georgia
2006 7 14 222 Justin Hamilton Virginia Tech
2005 2 2 34 Brodney Pool Oklahoma
2005 4 2 103 Antonio Perkins Oklahoma
2004 2 27 59 Sean Jones Georgia
2003 3 20 84 Chris Crocker Marshall
2003 5 17 152 Michael Lehan Minnesota
2001 4 2 97 Anthony Henry South Florida
2001 6 2 165 Michael Jameson Texas A&M
2000 4 1 95 Lewis Sanders Maryland
2000 5 1 130 Anthony Malbrough Texas Tech
2000 5 17 146 Lamar Chapman Kansas State
2000 7 19 225 Rashidi Barnes Colorado
1999 3 1 62 Daylon McCutcheon USC
1999 3 15 76 Marquis Smith California
1994 1 9 9 Antonio Langham Alabama
1994 5 10 141 Isaac Booth California
1992 7 9 177 Selwyn Jones Colorado State
1992 9 9 233 Tim Hill Kansas
1991 1 2 2 Eric Turner UCLA
1991 9 2 225 Raymond Irvin Central Florida
1990 4 20 101 Harlon Barnett Michigan State
1990 6 20 157 Randy Hilliard Northwestern State (LA)
1990 10 20 268 Mike Wallace Jackson State
1989 5 2 114 Kyle Kramer Bowling Green
1989 6 21 160 Gary Wilkerson Penn State
1988 4 21 103 Anthony Blaylock Winston-Salem State
1988 7 23 188 Thane Gash East Tennessee State
1988 9 23 244 Danny Copeland Eastern Kentucky
1988 10 23 272 Brian Washington Nebraska
1987 6 25 165 Stephen Braggs Texas
1987 11 24 303 Larry Brewton Temple
1986 9 17 238 Danny Taylor Texas-El Paso
1986 12 14 319 King Simmons Texas Tech
1984 1 18 18 Don Rogers UCLA
1984 2 20 48 Chris Rockins Oklahoma State
1982 8 4 199 Mark Kafentzis Hawaii
1982 8 16 211 Bill Jackson North Carolina
1981 1 22 22 Hanford Dixon Southern Mississippi
1981 11 22 298 Larry Friday Mississippi State
1979 2 12 40 Lawrence Johnson Wisconsin
1979 6 14 151 Clinton Burrell Louisiana State
1977 4 18 102 Oliver Davis Tennessee State
1977 8 18 213 Bill Armstrong Wake Forest
1977 9 17 240 Daryl Brown Tufts
1976 15 5 408 Luther Philyaw Loyola (CA)
1975 4 4 82 Tony Peters Oklahoma
1975 6 20 150 Charles Miller West Virginia
1975 9 7 215 Floyd Hogan Arkansas
1974 8 17 199 Eddie Brown Tennessee
1974 16 17 407 Preston Anderson Rice
1973 2 21 47 Jim Stienke Southwest Texas State
1973 6 20 150 Van Green Shaw
1973 14 21 359 Robert Popelka Southern Methodist
1972 1 18 18 Thomas Darden Michigan
1972 2 19 45 Clifford Brooks Tennessee State
1972 12 19 305 Bernard Chapman Texas-El Paso
1971 1 14 14 Clarence Scott Kansas State
1971 9 14 222 Wilmur Levels North Texas State
1971 15 14 378 Bill Green Western Kentucky
1970 4 21 99 Ricky Stevenson Arizona
1970 8 21 203 Honester Davidson Bowling Green
1970 15 21 385 Guy Homoly Illinois State
1969 4 20 98 Fred Summers Wake Forest
1969 7 20 176 Walt Summer Florida State
1968 6 14 152 Nathaniel James Florida A&M
1968 8 20 212 Tom Schoen Notre Dame
1968 13 21 348 Terry Sellers Georgia
1967 8 20 205 Bill Devrow Southern Mississippi
1967 15 19 386 Dennis Williamson Whitewater
1967 17 20 439 Ben Davis Defiance
1966 20 13 303 Joe Petro Temple
1965 8 13 111 Mike Howell Grambling State
1963 9 9 121 Dave Raimey Michigan
1963 12 9 163 Lindy Infante Florida
1960 3 9 33 Ross Fichtner Purdue
1960 11 7 127 Bobby Franklin Mississippi
1959 5 10 58 Dick LeBeau Ohio State
1958 1 13 13 Jim Shofner Texas Christian
1951 9 12 110 Don Shula John Carroll
Zombo
Look at some of those early names. Don Shula, Dick LeBeau, Jim Shofner, Lindy Infante all became HCs in the NFL at one point or other. Some like LeBeau and Infante became better known as Coordinators.
The hell of it is that the Browns let go of LeBeau who went on to a HOF career with the Lions. In fact, he is the ONLY one on the list to go into the HOF as a player. (Shula obviously in as a coach)
Aside from LeBeau, the only ones of this group to be of Pro Bowl caliber were Fichtner, Scott, Darden, Dixon, Turner, and maybe Henry.
Maybe with Haden the Browns will have picked up their second Hall of Fame defensive back?....except keep him this time!
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login