We developed a theme
-
Now, I'm not saying I don't like the guys we came up with -- but the Browns better be right.
Seems to me we might have been able to move back a couple of spots, pick up a third rounder and still gotten Haden . . . or at the worst Kyle Wilson.
TJ Ward probably would have been there with our sandwich pick in the third round. Benn or Dunlap or Cody would have looked pretty good in this spot. Even if we'd taken Tate or Hardesty, I think we could have saved the two additional picks we traded away to get Hardesty. That said kid looks like a masher. I don't think the Pool comparisons are fair, because Pool was a horrible open field tackler. With Haden and Ward and Brown it looks like we are emphasizing the ability to tackle in the secondary. I'd be trying to trade McDonald today.
Haresty - I get why they moved up. Should be a nice competition with Davis and Hillis to get carries.
McCoy. Okay. I think the kid's a winner, but I don't rate him that much above LeFever of Kafka. With all of our 5th rounders, I might have preferred what we address our QB flyer there. I'd still pick up Max Hall as a UFA and stash him on the practice squad if he's not drafted.
The OL was taken a round or two higher than most draft boards expected.
I look at the Ravens draft and can't help but feel they've come up with more, starting with less. Holmgren and Heckert need to be right to turn this around.
-
Now, I'm not saying I don't like the guys we came up with -- but the Browns better be right.
Seems to me we might have been able to move back a couple of spots, pick up a third rounder and still gotten Haden . . . or at the worst Kyle Wilson.
TJ Ward probably would have been there with our sandwich pick in the third round. Benn or Dunlap or Cody would have looked pretty good in this spot. Even if we'd taken Tate or Hardesty, I think we could have saved the two additional picks we traded away to get Hardesty. That said kid looks like a masher. I don't think the Pool comparisons are fair, because Pool was a horrible open field tackler. With Haden and Ward and Brown it looks like we are emphasizing the ability to tackle in the secondary. I'd be trying to trade McDonald today.
Haresty - I get why they moved up. Should be a nice competition with Davis and Hillis to get carries.
McCoy. Okay. I think the kid's a winner, but I don't rate him that much above LeFever of Kafka. With all of our 5th rounders, I might have preferred what we address our QB flyer there. I'd still pick up Max Hall as a UFA and stash him on the practice squad if he's not drafted.
The OL was taken a round or two higher than most draft boards expected.
I look at the Ravens draft and can't help but feel they've come up with more, starting with less. Holmgren and Heckert need to be right to turn this around.
Now, I'm not saying I don't like the guys we came up with -- but the Browns better be right.
Seems to me we might have been able to move back a couple of spots, pick up a third rounder and still gotten Haden . . . or at the worst Kyle Wilson.
TJ Ward probably would have been there with our sandwich pick in the third round. Benn or Dunlap or Cody would have looked pretty good in this spot. Even if we'd taken Tate or Hardesty, I think we could have saved the two additional picks we traded away to get Hardesty. That said kid looks like a masher. I don't think the Pool comparisons are fair, because Pool was a horrible open field tackler. With Haden and Ward and Brown it looks like we are emphasizing the ability to tackle in the secondary. I'd be trying to trade McDonald today.
Haresty - I get why they moved up. Should be a nice competition with Davis and Hillis to get carries.
McCoy. Okay. I think the kid's a winner, but I don't rate him that much above LeFever of Kafka. With all of our 5th rounders, I might have preferred what we address our QB flyer there. I'd still pick up Max Hall as a UFA and stash him on the practice squad if he's not drafted.
The OL was taken a round or two higher than most draft boards expected.
I look at the Ravens draft and can't help but feel they've come up with more, starting with less. Holmgren and Heckert need to be right to turn this around.
Think I will trust Holmgren/Heckert and Mangini.
-
I agree with most of what you said. I just think because of the depth in this draft, teams weren't too eager to trade picks without us giving up too much in return. With the exception of McCoy, it looks like they just followed their board all the way through. But like you, I hope they're right. And I think they are.
-
I think you are being a Couch Coach and need to take your medicine. We have no insight into what the scouts have seen out of these players. I do feel we reached but who really knows if they were going to be taken in later rounds. It seems that we had a agenda of getting good character, very physical players. I dont think there is one softy in all our picks.
-
The only pick I might agree is a reach TJ Ward,,but we obviously saw something in him that put him at the top of the board, so I can only hope they know more about it than I.
The lineman is rated lower than ability because he played tackle last year to cover for injury,
Inside, I think he went right where he should.
-
General comments:
If Holmgren and Heckert weren't involved in this draft I think there'd be a lot of complaining and criticism. The pundits are too dazzled to give the Browns draft gurus a hard time.
I'm not a draftnik because I don't know the players well enough to have a real opinion about the picks . I prefer to wait and see the hand we're dealt and watch it develop.
The Browns' schedule for this season is all 1:00 Sunday games. I therefore predict a fun season with the networks wishing the Browns had been featured in prime time.
-
The only pick I might agree is a reach TJ Ward,,but we obviously saw something in him that put him at the top of the board, so I can only hope they know more about it than I.
The lineman is rated lower than ability because he played tackle last year to cover for injury,
Inside, I think he went right where he should.
The only pick I might agree is a reach TJ Ward,,but we obviously saw something in him that put him at the top of the board, so I can only hope they know more about it than I.
The lineman is rated lower than ability because he played tackle last year to cover for injury,
Inside, I think he went right where he should.
I love the way Ward HITS!!!!!!!
-
Now, I'm not saying I don't like the guys we came up with -- but the Browns better be right.
Seems to me we might have been able to move back a couple of spots, pick up a third rounder and still gotten Haden . . . or at the worst Kyle Wilson.
TJ Ward probably would have been there with our sandwich pick in the third round. Benn or Dunlap or Cody would have looked pretty good in this spot. Even if we'd taken Tate or Hardesty, I think we could have saved the two additional picks we traded away to get Hardesty. That said kid looks like a masher. I don't think the Pool comparisons are fair, because Pool was a horrible open field tackler. With Haden and Ward and Brown it looks like we are emphasizing the ability to tackle in the secondary. I'd be trying to trade McDonald today.
Haresty - I get why they moved up. Should be a nice competition with Davis and Hillis to get carries.
McCoy. Okay. I think the kid's a winner, but I don't rate him that much above LeFever of Kafka. With all of our 5th rounders, I might have preferred what we address our QB flyer there. I'd still pick up Max Hall as a UFA and stash him on the practice squad if he's not drafted.
The OL was taken a round or two higher than most draft boards expected.
I look at the Ravens draft and can't help but feel they've come up with more, starting with less. Holmgren and Heckert need to be right to turn this around.
Think I will trust Holmgren/Heckert and Mangini.
Think I will trust Holmgren/Heckert and Mangini.
I agree we gotta trust the regime on this one...ward if heckert guessed right will more than pan out and the fact he has been hurt so much says he plays insanely hard which is what you want from a safety and with mangini's multiple backfield rotations he likely wont see the field every down so i think we have a potential impact player here...and he will most certainly exceed adams or elam out there...
-
Almost everyone picked within the first 3 rounds are capable of starting and or contributing right away. (exception will be the QB who needs to be groomes) That is all you can ask for out of a front office.
How many times would we see Savage pick a guy in the rounds 2 & 3 who were a project players and never made it.
I am pleased with the draft, so far. The rest is a crap shoot, all you can do is hope the guys can make the grade. Even a blind hog will find an acorn sometimes.
-
The " THEME" we've developed started last year when Randy hired Mangini
"Character"
Hard work,dedication, heart,determination....that's what we're reaching for
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login