Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Best #7

Best #7

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
25 Posts 13 Posters 2.8k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
    • 57k Posts
    • 4k Reputation
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #1

    On another thread the question came up as to whether or not BR has "disgraced" the #7 uniform. I really don't want to get into that negativity here, but what I do want to ask is what famous athletes did wear the #7 (in any sport).

    Though, in reality we could ask that for all numbers 1-99. (#99: Wayne Gretsky?!)

    For now lets ask about #7. You can add any other numbers as we go along. What great athletes wore #7? Here are a few that I can think of:

    Baseball: Mickey Mantle

    Basketball: Pete Maravich

    Football: John Elway

    Carry on.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
      • 57k Posts
      • 4k Reputation
      The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
      #2

      OK, before somebody calls me on it, I should not have said 1-99, but 00 through 99, as we cannot forget Jim Ringo and Jim Otto, both who, I believe wore 00.

      And here is a website on each number:

      http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more.../intro.numbers/

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Earl34 E
        • 1k Posts
        • 11 Reputation
        E Earl34 wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I don't agree with Elway over The Mick. Mantle had such a broader reach with the fans. Mickey Mantle was the stuff myths are made of. Kid from Oklahoma who looked like he as carved out of a rock and had power and speed. Elway was an all-time great but I don't see how you could relegate Mantle in his favor. Just my opinion.

        The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
          • 57k Posts
          • 4k Reputation
          The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Here are the choices from the SI website, numbers 00-32. Tell if you agree or don't. The rest we'll do later:

          00 Jim Otto....over Robert Parish

          0 Gilbert Arenas...over Al Oliver

          1 Warren Moon...over Oscar Robertson, Ozzie Smith

          2 Secretariat....over Derek Jeter, Moses Malone

          3 Babe Ruth....over Dale Earnhardt, Dwayne Wade, Allen Iverson

          4 Bobby Orr...over Lou Gehrig, Brett Favre, Mel Ott

          5 Joe Dimaggio...over Johnny Bench, Brooks Robinson, Albert Pujols

          6 Bill Russell....over Stan Musial, Dr. J Julius Erving, Al Kaline

          7 John Elway...over Mickey Mantle, David Beckham, Phil Esposito, Pete Maravich

          8 Cal Ripken Jr....over Yogi Berra, Carl Yazstremski, Troy Aikman, Steve Young

          9 Ted Williams....over Gordy Howe, Bobby Hull, Bill Elliot

          10 Pele....over Walt Frazier, Guy LaFleur

          11 Mark Messier....over Isiah Thomas, Elvin Hayes

          12. Tom Brady...over Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Joe Namath, Jim Kelly

          13. Wilt Chamberlain...over Dan Marino, Alex Rodriguez

          14. Pete Rose...over Otto Graham, Bob Cousy, Ernie Banks

          15. Bart Starr...over Thurman Munson

          16. Joe Montana...over Brett Hull, Whitey Ford

          17. John Havlicek...over Jarri Kurri, Dizzy Dean

          18. Peyton Manning...over Charlie Joiner, Dave Cowens

          19. Johnny Unitas...over Lance Alworth, Bob Feller, Steve Yzerman and even Bernie Kosar

          20. Barry Sanders...over Mike Schmidt, Lou Brock, Frank Robinson

          21. Roberto Clemente...over Roger Clemens, Tim Duncan, Stan Mikita, Deion Sanders

          22. Emmit Smith...over Elgin Baylor, Jim Palmer

          23. Michael Jordan...over LeBron James, Kirk Gibson

          24. Willie Mays...over Jeff Gordon, Kobe Bryant, Ken Griffey Jr.

          25. Barry Bonds...over Mark McGwire, Fred Biletnikoff

          26. Rod Woodson...over Wade Boggs, Herb Adderly

          27. Juan Marichal...over Carlton Fisk, Eddie George

          28. Marshall Faulk....over Darrell Green, Bert Blyleven

          29. Satchel Paige...over Rod Carew, Eric Dickerson, Ken Dryden

          30. Nolan Ryan...over Martin Brodeur, Terrell Davis

          31. Greg Maddux...over Reggie Miller, Dave Winfield

          32. Magic Johnson...over Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, Steve Carlton, Sandy Koufax, Shaquille O'Neal, Bill Walton

          The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • E Earl34

            I don't agree with Elway over The Mick. Mantle had such a broader reach with the fans. Mickey Mantle was the stuff myths are made of. Kid from Oklahoma who looked like he as carved out of a rock and had power and speed. Elway was an all-time great but I don't see how you could relegate Mantle in his favor. Just my opinion.

            The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
            • 57k Posts
            • 4k Reputation
            The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @earl34 said:

            I don't agree with Elway over The Mick. Mantle had such a broader reach with the fans. Mickey Mantle was the stuff myths are made of. Kid from Oklahoma who looked like he as carved out of a rock and had power and speed. Elway was an all-time great but I don't see how you could relegate Mantle in his favor. Just my opinion.

            I agree with you.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • BUNSofSTEEL08 BUNSofSTEEL08B
              • 2k Posts
              • 8 Reputation
              BUNSofSTEEL08B BUNSofSTEEL08 wrote on last edited by
              #6

              00 Jim Otto....over Robert Parish I Vote The Cheif !!

              0 Gilbert Arenas...over Al Oliver LOVE Al Oliver

              1 Warren Moon...over Oscar Robertson, Ozzie Smith Wizzard

              2 Secretariat....over Derek Jeter, Moses Malone Jeter

              3 Babe Ruth....over Dale Earnhardt, Dwayne Wade, Allen Iverson "The Eliminator"

              4 Bobby Orr...over Lou Gehrig, Brett Favre, Mel Ott Gehrig

              5 Joe Dimaggio...over Johnny Bench, Brooks Robinson, Albert Pujols Bill Madlock

              6 Bill Russell....over Stan Musial, Dr. J Julius Erving, Al Kalineck " Loved Rennie Stennet"

              7 John Elway...over Mickey Mantle, David Beckham, Phil Esposito, Pete Maravich "Pistol #44"

              8 Cal Ripken Jr....over Yogi Berra, Carl Yazstremski, Troy Aikman, Steve Young "WILLIE STARGELL"

              9 Ted Williams....over Gordy Howe, Bobby Hull, Bill Elliot "Maz"

              10 Pele....over Walt Frazier, Guy LaFleur "The Hawk Dawson"

              11 Mark Messier....over Isiah Thomas, Elvin Hayes "Messier"

              12. Tom Brady...over Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Joe Namath, Jim Kelly "Bradshaw"

              13. Wilt Chamberlain...over Dan Marino, Alex Rodriguez "Davey Concepcion"

              14. Pete Rose...over Otto Graham, Bob Cousy, Ernie Banks " Pete"

              15. Bart Starr...over Thurman Munson "Earl he Pearl"

              16. Joe Montana...over Brett Hull, Whitey Ford "Al Oliver AGAIN"

              17. John Havlicek...over Jarri Kurri, Dizzy Dean "Doc Ellis"

              18. Peyton Manning...over Charlie Joiner, Dave Cowens " Andy Van Slyke"

              19. Johnny Unitas...over Lance Alworth, Bob Feller, Steve Yzerman and even Bernie Kosar " Kosar"

              20. Barry Sanders...over Mike Schmidt, Lou Brock, Frank Robinson "Rocky

              Bleier"

              21. Roberto Clemente...over Roger Clemens, Tim Duncan, Stan Mikita, Deion Sanders "Roberto ...the great One"

              22. Emmit Smith...over Elgin Baylor, Jim Palmer "John Cappelletti"

              23. Michael Jordan...over LeBron James, Kirk Gibson " Love LeBron"

              24. Willie Mays...over Jeff Gordon, Kobe Bryant, Ken Griffey Jr. " Barry Bonds Pre Steroids"

              25. Barry Bonds...over Mark McGwire, Fred Biletnikoff " Bobby Bonilla"

              26. Rod Woodson...over Wade Boggs, Herb Adderly "Rod"

              27. Juan Marichal...over Carlton Fisk, Eddie George "Glenn Edwards"

              28. Marshall Faulk....over Darrell Green, Bert Blyleven "Anthony Davis USC"

              29. Satchel Paige...over Rod Carew, Eric Dickerson, Ken Dryden " Dickerson"

              30. Nolan Ryan...over Martin Brodeur, Terrell Davis "Ryan"

              31. Greg Maddux...over Reggie Miller, Dave Winfield "Donnie Shell"

              32. Magic Johnson...over Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, Steve Carlton, Sandy Koufax, Shaquille O'Neal, Bill Walton "FRANCO HARRIS" [ b][/b]

              Climbing the Stairway...To SEVEN !!
              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Mr. T Mr. TM
                • 7k Posts
                • 184 Reputation
                Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
                #7

                Stan Musial, Stan the Man. Always one of my favorites.

                Head or Gut?
                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • Booker B
                  • 95 Posts
                  • 0 Reputation
                  B Booker wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  This has to be the xxxxing dumbest thread I've ever seen.

                  The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • Thomas5737 T
                    • 167 Posts
                    • 0 Reputation
                    T Thomas5737 wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    I like the thread idea. I dont have major problems with any of the choices. I would go Green over Faulk, Brown as 32 and Dale Murphy as 3. Ok Ruth at 3 but barely lol. Speaking of numbers, Post #8 sucks. Larry Bird is on deck!

                    Bob806B 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 20k Posts
                      • 5k Reputation
                      hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      Have to be a homer and say Magic Johnson over Jim Brown is a joke. Magic has two feats to his name. highest assists per game career- and most triple doubles- playoffs. (30) Go get him LeBron. OTOH Magic played on dominant teams his entire career, so dem stats are skewed sorry to say. He even isn't the most dominant player in the NBA that would go to Jordan or Chamberlain in my book.

                      IF JB had played 13 seasons like Ervin, he might still hold the record for total yards, and his 5.2 ypc is still the gold standard, and will never be beaten.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • hx214 hx214H One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                        • 1k Posts
                        • 474 Reputation
                        hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by hx214
                        #11

                        I agree with you on all of those except one. #3 has got to be Dale over the Babe. Ruth was awesome, don't get me wrong I don't disagree there, but Dale was an animal on the track, greatest stock car driver of all time and he died with a lot of races left to race. Who knows how many more championships he would have grabbed.... and he is basically the main reason NASCAR is the giant it is today.

                        Plus.... his fan base is huge....Maybe it's because I live out in the country, but I swear to god you can't pass more than 3 cars on the road without a number 3 Earnhardt decal or a Hillbilly wearing a shirt/ball hat/tattoo of Goodwrench #3 on it.

                        Did you see the movie Zombieland? Every car Woody Harrison jumps into he paints the number 3 on the side.... I would have laughed harder at the joke, but there are people I know that have done that to their car!

                        The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • T Thomas5737

                          I like the thread idea. I dont have major problems with any of the choices. I would go Green over Faulk, Brown as 32 and Dale Murphy as 3. Ok Ruth at 3 but barely lol. Speaking of numbers, Post #8 sucks. Larry Bird is on deck!

                          Bob806 Bob806B Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 5k Posts
                          • 2k Reputation
                          Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by Bob806
                          #12

                          @thomas5737 said:

                          I like the thread idea. I dont have major problems with any of the choices. I would go Green over Faulk, Brown as 32 and Dale Murphy as 3. Ok Ruth at 3 but barely lol. Speaking of numbers, Post #8 sucks. Larry Bird is on deck!

                          You're going to rate Larry Bird ahead of Leroy Hoard? 😠

                          #34 is tough...Walter Payton, Greg Pruitt, even Thurman Thomas the helmetless one.

                          #35= Calvin Hill

                          #36= Gaylord Perry

                          Karlis Missed
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • B Booker

                            This has to be the xxxxing dumbest thread I've ever seen.

                            The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                            • 57k Posts
                            • 4k Reputation
                            The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @booker said:

                            This has to be the xxxxing dumbest thread I've ever seen.

                            I take it then that you are not a sports fan? Go back to your knitting or staring at your navel lint.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • hx214H hx214

                              I agree with you on all of those except one. #3 has got to be Dale over the Babe. Ruth was awesome, don't get me wrong I don't disagree there, but Dale was an animal on the track, greatest stock car driver of all time and he died with a lot of races left to race. Who knows how many more championships he would have grabbed.... and he is basically the main reason NASCAR is the giant it is today.

                              Plus.... his fan base is huge....Maybe it's because I live out in the country, but I swear to god you can't pass more than 3 cars on the road without a number 3 Earnhardt decal or a Hillbilly wearing a shirt/ball hat/tattoo of Goodwrench #3 on it.

                              Did you see the movie Zombieland? Every car Woody Harrison jumps into he paints the number 3 on the side.... I would have laughed harder at the joke, but there are people I know that have done that to their car!

                              The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                              • 57k Posts
                              • 4k Reputation
                              The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @hx214 said:

                              I agree with you on all of those except one.

                              Note: these were SI's choices, not mine

                              #3 has got to be Dale over the Babe. Ruth was awesome, don't get me wrong I don't disagree there, but Dale was an animal on the track, greatest stock car driver of all time and he died with a lot of races left to race. Who knows how many more championships he would have grabbed.... and he is basically the main reason NASCAR is the giant it is today.

                              I disagree. Earnhardt couldn't carry Richard Petty's jockstrap. I hate NASCAR and even I know that.

                              Plus.... his fan base is huge....Maybe it's because I live out in the country, but I swear to god you can't pass more than 3 cars on the road without a number 3 Earnhardt decal or a Hillbilly wearing a shirt/ball hat/tattoo of Goodwrench #3 on it.

                              Did you see the movie Zombieland? Every car Woody Harrison jumps into he paints the number 3 on the side.... I would have laughed harder at the joke, but there are people I know that have done that to their car!

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • The GipperT The Gipper

                                Here are the choices from the SI website, numbers 00-32. Tell if you agree or don't. The rest we'll do later:

                                00 Jim Otto....over Robert Parish

                                0 Gilbert Arenas...over Al Oliver

                                1 Warren Moon...over Oscar Robertson, Ozzie Smith

                                2 Secretariat....over Derek Jeter, Moses Malone

                                3 Babe Ruth....over Dale Earnhardt, Dwayne Wade, Allen Iverson

                                4 Bobby Orr...over Lou Gehrig, Brett Favre, Mel Ott

                                5 Joe Dimaggio...over Johnny Bench, Brooks Robinson, Albert Pujols

                                6 Bill Russell....over Stan Musial, Dr. J Julius Erving, Al Kaline

                                7 John Elway...over Mickey Mantle, David Beckham, Phil Esposito, Pete Maravich

                                8 Cal Ripken Jr....over Yogi Berra, Carl Yazstremski, Troy Aikman, Steve Young

                                9 Ted Williams....over Gordy Howe, Bobby Hull, Bill Elliot

                                10 Pele....over Walt Frazier, Guy LaFleur

                                11 Mark Messier....over Isiah Thomas, Elvin Hayes

                                12. Tom Brady...over Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Joe Namath, Jim Kelly

                                13. Wilt Chamberlain...over Dan Marino, Alex Rodriguez

                                14. Pete Rose...over Otto Graham, Bob Cousy, Ernie Banks

                                15. Bart Starr...over Thurman Munson

                                16. Joe Montana...over Brett Hull, Whitey Ford

                                17. John Havlicek...over Jarri Kurri, Dizzy Dean

                                18. Peyton Manning...over Charlie Joiner, Dave Cowens

                                19. Johnny Unitas...over Lance Alworth, Bob Feller, Steve Yzerman and even Bernie Kosar

                                20. Barry Sanders...over Mike Schmidt, Lou Brock, Frank Robinson

                                21. Roberto Clemente...over Roger Clemens, Tim Duncan, Stan Mikita, Deion Sanders

                                22. Emmit Smith...over Elgin Baylor, Jim Palmer

                                23. Michael Jordan...over LeBron James, Kirk Gibson

                                24. Willie Mays...over Jeff Gordon, Kobe Bryant, Ken Griffey Jr.

                                25. Barry Bonds...over Mark McGwire, Fred Biletnikoff

                                26. Rod Woodson...over Wade Boggs, Herb Adderly

                                27. Juan Marichal...over Carlton Fisk, Eddie George

                                28. Marshall Faulk....over Darrell Green, Bert Blyleven

                                29. Satchel Paige...over Rod Carew, Eric Dickerson, Ken Dryden

                                30. Nolan Ryan...over Martin Brodeur, Terrell Davis

                                31. Greg Maddux...over Reggie Miller, Dave Winfield

                                32. Magic Johnson...over Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, Steve Carlton, Sandy Koufax, Shaquille O'Neal, Bill Walton

                                The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                                • 57k Posts
                                • 4k Reputation
                                The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
                                #15

                                @the-gipper said:

                                Here are the choices from the SI website, numbers 00-32. Tell if you agree or don't. The rest we'll do later:

                                My own take on these. If not highlighted then I agree or I believe that there is no clear better choice in my mind.

                                00 Jim Otto....over Robert Parish

                                0 Gilbert Arenas...over Al Oliver

                                1 Warren Moon...over Oscar Robertson, Ozzie Smith....Like Moon, but the Big O has to be it!

                                2 Secretariat....over Derek Jeter, Moses Malone

                                3 Babe Ruth....over Dale Earnhardt, Dwayne Wade, Allen Iverson

                                4 Bobby Orr...over Lou Gehrig, Brett Favre, Mel Ott...maybe because I don't know hockey, but Lou is my choice.

                                5 Joe Dimaggio...over Johnny Bench, Brooks Robinson, Albert Pujols

                                6 Bill Russell....over Stan Musial, Dr. J Julius Erving, Al Kaline

                                7 John Elway...over Mickey Mantle, David Beckham, Phil Esposito, Pete Maravich...no way. The Mick IS #7

                                8 Cal Ripken Jr....over Yogi Berra, Carl Yazstremski, Troy Aikman, Steve Young

                                9 Ted Williams....over Gordy Howe, Bobby Hull, Bill Elliot

                                10 Pele....over Walt Frazier, Guy LaFleur

                                11 Mark Messier....over Isiah Thomas, Elvin Hayes

                                12. Tom Brady...over Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Joe Namath, Jim Kelly...too tough to call. Brady apparently selected by SI because he is current...not better than the others.

                                13. Wilt Chamberlain...over Dan Marino, Alex Rodriguez

                                14. Pete Rose...over Otto Graham, Bob Cousy, Ernie Banks...ok, but more on Otto later

                                15. Bart Starr...over Thurman Munson

                                16. Joe Montana...over Brett Hull, Whitey Ford

                                17. John Havlicek...over Jarri Kurri, Dizzy Dean

                                18. Peyton Manning...over Charlie Joiner, Dave Cowens

                                19. Johnny Unitas...over Lance Alworth, Bob Feller, Steve Yzerman and even Bernie Kosar

                                20. Barry Sanders...over Mike Schmidt, Lou Brock, Frank Robinson..close call, Robinson every bit the top star Sanders was, plus, he was first Af-Am. manager. Go with Robinson

                                21. Roberto Clemente...over Roger Clemens, Tim Duncan, Stan Mikita, Deion Sanders

                                22. Emmit Smith...over Elgin Baylor, Jim Palmer

                                23. Michael Jordan...over LeBron James, Kirk Gibson

                                24. Willie Mays...over Jeff Gordon, Kobe Bryant, Ken Griffey Jr.

                                25. Barry Bonds...over Mark McGwire, Fred Biletnikoff

                                26. Rod Woodson...over Wade Boggs, Herb Adderly...I think Adderly the better performer

                                27. Juan Marichal...over Carlton Fisk, Eddie George

                                28. Marshall Faulk....over Darrell Green, Bert Blyleven

                                29. Satchel Paige...over Rod Carew, Eric Dickerson, Ken Dryden

                                30. Nolan Ryan...over Martin Brodeur, Terrell Davis

                                31. Greg Maddux...over Reggie Miller, Dave Winfield

                                32. Magic Johnson...over Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, Steve Carlton, Sandy Koufax, Shaquille O'Neal, Bill Walton

                                I understand the difficulty with this number and with Magic Johnson being selected (whom I actually think was better than Michael Jordan)...but the No. 32 was made famous by JB

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                                  • 57k Posts
                                  • 4k Reputation
                                  The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  Here is the continuation of Sports Illustrated's "Best Athlete By Number". I will again give the number, SI's choice plus some other options. These are numbers 33-67:

                                  33 Kareem Abdul Jabbar...over Larry Bird, Tony Dorsett, Patrick Ewing, Patrick Roy

                                  34 Walter Payton..over Bo Jackson, Earl Campbell, Akeem Olajuwon

                                  35 Phil Niekro...over Frank Thomas, Tony Esposito, Rickey Henderson

                                  36 Robin Roberts...over Gaylord Perry, Meadowlark Lemon, Jerome Bettis

                                  37 Doak Walker...over Casey Stengal, Lester Hayes, Shaun Alexander

                                  38 Curt Schilling...over George Rogers, Rocky Colavito

                                  39 Roy Campanella...over Larry Csonka, Dominic Hasek

                                  40 Gale Sayers...over Crazy Legs Hirsch, Bill Laimbeer

                                  41 Tom Seaver...over Eddie Matthews, Dirk Nowitzki

                                  42 Jackie Robinson...over Ronnie Lott, Sid Luckman, Mariano Rivera, James Worthy

                                  43 Richard Petty...over Dennis Eckersly, Jack Sikma

                                  44 Henry Aaron...over Reggie Jackson, Willie McCovey (obviously a power number)

                                  45 Pedro Martinez...over Bob Gibson, Archie Griffin

                                  46 Lee Smith...over Andy Pettite, Chuck Muncie

                                  47 Mel Blount...over Tom Glavine, Jack Morris

                                  48 Jimmy Johnson (NASCAR)...over Sam MacDowell

                                  49 Ron Guidry...over Bobby Mitchell

                                  50 David Robinson...over Mike Singletary, Rebecca Lobo

                                  51 Dick Butkus...over Ichiro Suzuki, Randy Johnson

                                  52 Ray Lewis...over Mike Webster, Buck Williams

                                  53 Don Drysdale...over Harry Carson, Artis Gilmore

                                  54 Randy White...over Goose Gossage, Brian Urlacher

                                  55 Orel Hershiser...over Junior Seau, Dikembe Mutumbo

                                  56 Lawrence Taylor...over Chris Doleman, Andre Tippet

                                  57 Dwight Stephenson...over Clay Matthews, Johnny Vandermeer

                                  58 Jack Lambert...over Derrick Thomas

                                  59 Jack Ham...over Seth Joyner

                                  60 Otto Graham...over Chuck Bednarik (note: Graham's number 14 is retired by the Browns though he did wear 60 for some time

                                  61 Curly Culp....over Bill George

                                  62 Jim Langer...over Guy McIntyre

                                  63 Willie Lanier...over Lee Roy Selmon, Gene Upshaw

                                  64 Jerry Kramer...over Randall McDaniel, Jack Reynolds

                                  65 Elvin Bethea...over Gary Zimmerman

                                  66 Mario Lemieux...over Ray Nitschke

                                  67 Reggie McKenzie...over Bob Kuechenberg, Russell Maryland

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • Bob806 Bob806B Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                    • 5k Posts
                                    • 2k Reputation
                                    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by Bob806
                                    #17

                                    PS- Jim Kelly, Mr. "Finger Pointer" at his teammates, is a disgrace to the #12, not even in the same ballpark as those other #12 greats. How he got into Canton is still a mystery to me.

                                    Karlis Missed
                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • hx214 hx214H One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                      • 1k Posts
                                      • 474 Reputation
                                      hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by hx214
                                      #18

                                      "I disagree. Earnhardt couldn't carry Richard Petty's jockstrap. I hate NASCAR and even I know that."

                                      Have to disagree with you on that one Gipper. Petty raced in a different era of NASCAR for a lot of his career.

                                      It's hard to explain if you don't follow nascar, but this guy on another board did a good job trying...

                                      (There is always a debate on who was better, but this is why I go with earnhardt)

                                      Dale raced for 21 years, won 76 races, and 7 championships, and that is winning the ship in 1/3 of the seasons he raced in.

                                      Richard raced for 35 years, won 200 races, and 7 championships, or around 1/5 of his seasons he raced.

                                      Richard raced in 1184 races compared to Dales 676 races, and the seasons were much long during the first half of Petty's career, and the competition was far less stiff in Richard's early days.

                                      Dale was the definition of consistent as well.

                                      Richard scored a top 10 in 60% of his races, while Dale put up a top 10 in 63% of his races.

                                      Dale is also the only driver in NASCAR history to post back to back championships on 3 different occasions.

                                      You can bring up Richard's 200 wins all you want, but he raced with more races in a season, less competition, and nearly doubled the races Dale ran, and Dale won his championships at a 33% of career while Richard only won a ship in 20% of his seasons.

                                      The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • Browns57 B Dedicated Conversation Starter Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                        • 733 Posts
                                        • 62 Reputation
                                        B Browns57 wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        Not the best #7 but my favorite #7 of all time was Kenny Lofton. He wore #7 during his time with the Indians.

                                        “The Wait Is Over, The Browns Will Be In The Playoffs This Year!"
                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • hx214H hx214

                                          "I disagree. Earnhardt couldn't carry Richard Petty's jockstrap. I hate NASCAR and even I know that."

                                          Have to disagree with you on that one Gipper. Petty raced in a different era of NASCAR for a lot of his career.

                                          It's hard to explain if you don't follow nascar, but this guy on another board did a good job trying...

                                          (There is always a debate on who was better, but this is why I go with earnhardt)

                                          Dale raced for 21 years, won 76 races, and 7 championships, and that is winning the ship in 1/3 of the seasons he raced in.

                                          Richard raced for 35 years, won 200 races, and 7 championships, or around 1/5 of his seasons he raced.

                                          Richard raced in 1184 races compared to Dales 676 races, and the seasons were much long during the first half of Petty's career, and the competition was far less stiff in Richard's early days.

                                          Dale was the definition of consistent as well.

                                          Richard scored a top 10 in 60% of his races, while Dale put up a top 10 in 63% of his races.

                                          Dale is also the only driver in NASCAR history to post back to back championships on 3 different occasions.

                                          You can bring up Richard's 200 wins all you want, but he raced with more races in a season, less competition, and nearly doubled the races Dale ran, and Dale won his championships at a 33% of career while Richard only won a ship in 20% of his seasons.

                                          The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                                          • 57k Posts
                                          • 4k Reputation
                                          The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          @hx214 said:

                                          "I disagree. Earnhardt couldn't carry Richard Petty's jockstrap. I hate NASCAR and even I know that."

                                          Have to disagree with you on that one Gipper. Petty raced in a different era of NASCAR for a lot of his career.

                                          It's hard to explain if you don't follow nascar, but this guy on another board did a good job trying...

                                          (There is always a debate on who was better, but this is why I go with earnhardt)

                                          Dale raced for 21 years, won 76 races, and 7 championships, and that is winning the ship in 1/3 of the seasons he raced in.

                                          Richard raced for 35 years, won 200 races, and 7 championships, or around 1/5 of his seasons he raced.

                                          Richard raced in 1184 races compared to Dales 676 races, and the seasons were much long during the first half of Petty's career, and the competition was far less stiff in Richard's early days.

                                          Dale was the definition of consistent as well.

                                          Richard scored a top 10 in 60% of his races, while Dale put up a top 10 in 63% of his races.

                                          Dale is also the only driver in NASCAR history to post back to back championships on 3 different occasions.

                                          You can bring up Richard's 200 wins all you want, but he raced with more races in a season, less competition, and nearly doubled the races Dale ran, and Dale won his championships at a 33% of career while Richard only won a ship in 20% of his seasons.

                                          I really don't, really care. I don't follow it. I only kinda like Jeff Gordon because all the rednecks hated him, for whatever moronic reason (I guess because he wasn't a good ole boy). I know this Jimmy Johnson is doing pretty good because I hear about it on the sports. The head scatching thing to me is that they have this thing called "The Chase", which is supposed to be some kind of playoff like affair. Yet, they let all the losers into the playoffs, and let them keep playing right up to the last game? If they were going to do it right, they should do it like Survivor or American Idol. You have your top 10 or 15 or whatever, and they run off in 10 or 15 races. In each race, the last place finishers gets kicked off the island, or out of the oval. Then you get it down to 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2....and the last two standing race against each other, winner take all.

                                          Some of you rednecks might say "what good is racing with only a few or only 2 cars". I say, that would be the absolute beauty of it. I might even watch a little of it if they did that.

                                          hx214H 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate