Best #7
-
Here is the continuation of Sports Illustrated's "Best Athlete By Number". I will again give the number, SI's choice plus some other options. These are numbers 33-67:
33 Kareem Abdul Jabbar...over Larry Bird, Tony Dorsett, Patrick Ewing, Patrick Roy
34 Walter Payton..over Bo Jackson, Earl Campbell, Akeem Olajuwon
35 Phil Niekro...over Frank Thomas, Tony Esposito, Rickey Henderson
36 Robin Roberts...over Gaylord Perry, Meadowlark Lemon, Jerome Bettis
37 Doak Walker...over Casey Stengal, Lester Hayes, Shaun Alexander
38 Curt Schilling...over George Rogers, Rocky Colavito
39 Roy Campanella...over Larry Csonka, Dominic Hasek
40 Gale Sayers...over Crazy Legs Hirsch, Bill Laimbeer
41 Tom Seaver...over Eddie Matthews, Dirk Nowitzki
42 Jackie Robinson...over Ronnie Lott, Sid Luckman, Mariano Rivera, James Worthy
43 Richard Petty...over Dennis Eckersly, Jack Sikma
44 Henry Aaron...over Reggie Jackson, Willie McCovey (obviously a power number)
45 Pedro Martinez...over Bob Gibson, Archie Griffin
46 Lee Smith...over Andy Pettite, Chuck Muncie
47 Mel Blount...over Tom Glavine, Jack Morris
48 Jimmy Johnson (NASCAR)...over Sam MacDowell
49 Ron Guidry...over Bobby Mitchell
50 David Robinson...over Mike Singletary, Rebecca Lobo
51 Dick Butkus...over Ichiro Suzuki, Randy Johnson
52 Ray Lewis...over Mike Webster, Buck Williams
53 Don Drysdale...over Harry Carson, Artis Gilmore
54 Randy White...over Goose Gossage, Brian Urlacher
55 Orel Hershiser...over Junior Seau, Dikembe Mutumbo
56 Lawrence Taylor...over Chris Doleman, Andre Tippet
57 Dwight Stephenson...over Clay Matthews, Johnny Vandermeer
58 Jack Lambert...over Derrick Thomas
59 Jack Ham...over Seth Joyner
60 Otto Graham...over Chuck Bednarik (note: Graham's number 14 is retired by the Browns though he did wear 60 for some time
61 Curly Culp....over Bill George
62 Jim Langer...over Guy McIntyre
63 Willie Lanier...over Lee Roy Selmon, Gene Upshaw
64 Jerry Kramer...over Randall McDaniel, Jack Reynolds
65 Elvin Bethea...over Gary Zimmerman
66 Mario Lemieux...over Ray Nitschke
67 Reggie McKenzie...over Bob Kuechenberg, Russell Maryland
-
"I disagree. Earnhardt couldn't carry Richard Petty's jockstrap. I hate NASCAR and even I know that."
Have to disagree with you on that one Gipper. Petty raced in a different era of NASCAR for a lot of his career.
It's hard to explain if you don't follow nascar, but this guy on another board did a good job trying...
(There is always a debate on who was better, but this is why I go with earnhardt)
Dale raced for 21 years, won 76 races, and 7 championships, and that is winning the ship in 1/3 of the seasons he raced in.
Richard raced for 35 years, won 200 races, and 7 championships, or around 1/5 of his seasons he raced.
Richard raced in 1184 races compared to Dales 676 races, and the seasons were much long during the first half of Petty's career, and the competition was far less stiff in Richard's early days.
Dale was the definition of consistent as well.
Richard scored a top 10 in 60% of his races, while Dale put up a top 10 in 63% of his races.
Dale is also the only driver in NASCAR history to post back to back championships on 3 different occasions.
You can bring up Richard's 200 wins all you want, but he raced with more races in a season, less competition, and nearly doubled the races Dale ran, and Dale won his championships at a 33% of career while Richard only won a ship in 20% of his seasons.
-
Not the best #7 but my favorite #7 of all time was Kenny Lofton. He wore #7 during his time with the Indians.
-
"I disagree. Earnhardt couldn't carry Richard Petty's jockstrap. I hate NASCAR and even I know that."
Have to disagree with you on that one Gipper. Petty raced in a different era of NASCAR for a lot of his career.
It's hard to explain if you don't follow nascar, but this guy on another board did a good job trying...
(There is always a debate on who was better, but this is why I go with earnhardt)
Dale raced for 21 years, won 76 races, and 7 championships, and that is winning the ship in 1/3 of the seasons he raced in.
Richard raced for 35 years, won 200 races, and 7 championships, or around 1/5 of his seasons he raced.
Richard raced in 1184 races compared to Dales 676 races, and the seasons were much long during the first half of Petty's career, and the competition was far less stiff in Richard's early days.
Dale was the definition of consistent as well.
Richard scored a top 10 in 60% of his races, while Dale put up a top 10 in 63% of his races.
Dale is also the only driver in NASCAR history to post back to back championships on 3 different occasions.
You can bring up Richard's 200 wins all you want, but he raced with more races in a season, less competition, and nearly doubled the races Dale ran, and Dale won his championships at a 33% of career while Richard only won a ship in 20% of his seasons.
"I disagree. Earnhardt couldn't carry Richard Petty's jockstrap. I hate NASCAR and even I know that."
Have to disagree with you on that one Gipper. Petty raced in a different era of NASCAR for a lot of his career.
It's hard to explain if you don't follow nascar, but this guy on another board did a good job trying...
(There is always a debate on who was better, but this is why I go with earnhardt)
Dale raced for 21 years, won 76 races, and 7 championships, and that is winning the ship in 1/3 of the seasons he raced in.
Richard raced for 35 years, won 200 races, and 7 championships, or around 1/5 of his seasons he raced.
Richard raced in 1184 races compared to Dales 676 races, and the seasons were much long during the first half of Petty's career, and the competition was far less stiff in Richard's early days.
Dale was the definition of consistent as well.
Richard scored a top 10 in 60% of his races, while Dale put up a top 10 in 63% of his races.
Dale is also the only driver in NASCAR history to post back to back championships on 3 different occasions.
You can bring up Richard's 200 wins all you want, but he raced with more races in a season, less competition, and nearly doubled the races Dale ran, and Dale won his championships at a 33% of career while Richard only won a ship in 20% of his seasons.
I really don't, really care. I don't follow it. I only kinda like Jeff Gordon because all the rednecks hated him, for whatever moronic reason (I guess because he wasn't a good ole boy). I know this Jimmy Johnson is doing pretty good because I hear about it on the sports. The head scatching thing to me is that they have this thing called "The Chase", which is supposed to be some kind of playoff like affair. Yet, they let all the losers into the playoffs, and let them keep playing right up to the last game? If they were going to do it right, they should do it like Survivor or American Idol. You have your top 10 or 15 or whatever, and they run off in 10 or 15 races. In each race, the last place finishers gets kicked off the island, or out of the oval. Then you get it down to 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2....and the last two standing race against each other, winner take all.
Some of you rednecks might say "what good is racing with only a few or only 2 cars". I say, that would be the absolute beauty of it. I might even watch a little of it if they did that.
-
best #7 is ben roethlisberger. he has the same # of super bowl wins as hack elway, but doesnt have the huge 3 of super bowl losses. i know on THE BROWNS BOARD TM people totally feel john elway is a god since he beat the browns a lot, but really he was kind of overrated, till terrell davis bailed him out late in his career
-
best #7 is ben roethlisberger. he has the same # of super bowl wins as hack elway, but doesnt have the huge 3 of super bowl losses. i know on THE BROWNS BOARD TM people totally feel john elway is a god since he beat the browns a lot, but really he was kind of overrated, till terrell davis bailed him out late in his career
best #7 is ben roethlisberger. he has the same # of super bowl wins as hack elway, but doesnt have the huge 3 of super bowl losses. i know on THE BROWNS BOARD TM people totally feel john elway is a god since he beat the browns a lot, but really he was kind of overrated, till terrell davis bailed him out late in his career
BR doesn't even make the list.
And #7 Mickey Mantle played on like 7 or 8 World Series winners if we are counting championships, so screw both Elway and your bonehead.
-
"I disagree. Earnhardt couldn't carry Richard Petty's jockstrap. I hate NASCAR and even I know that."
Have to disagree with you on that one Gipper. Petty raced in a different era of NASCAR for a lot of his career.
It's hard to explain if you don't follow nascar, but this guy on another board did a good job trying...
(There is always a debate on who was better, but this is why I go with earnhardt)
Dale raced for 21 years, won 76 races, and 7 championships, and that is winning the ship in 1/3 of the seasons he raced in.
Richard raced for 35 years, won 200 races, and 7 championships, or around 1/5 of his seasons he raced.
Richard raced in 1184 races compared to Dales 676 races, and the seasons were much long during the first half of Petty's career, and the competition was far less stiff in Richard's early days.
Dale was the definition of consistent as well.
Richard scored a top 10 in 60% of his races, while Dale put up a top 10 in 63% of his races.
Dale is also the only driver in NASCAR history to post back to back championships on 3 different occasions.
You can bring up Richard's 200 wins all you want, but he raced with more races in a season, less competition, and nearly doubled the races Dale ran, and Dale won his championships at a 33% of career while Richard only won a ship in 20% of his seasons.
I really don't, really care. I don't follow it. I only kinda like Jeff Gordon because all the rednecks hated him, for whatever moronic reason (I guess because he wasn't a good ole boy). I know this Jimmy Johnson is doing pretty good because I hear about it on the sports. The head scatching thing to me is that they have this thing called "The Chase", which is supposed to be some kind of playoff like affair. Yet, they let all the losers into the playoffs, and let them keep playing right up to the last game? If they were going to do it right, they should do it like Survivor or American Idol. You have your top 10 or 15 or whatever, and they run off in 10 or 15 races. In each race, the last place finishers gets kicked off the island, or out of the oval. Then you get it down to 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2....and the last two standing race against each other, winner take all.
Some of you rednecks might say "what good is racing with only a few or only 2 cars". I say, that would be the absolute beauty of it. I might even watch a little of it if they did that.
I really don't, really care. I don't follow it. I only kinda like Jeff Gordon because all the rednecks hated him, for whatever moronic reason (I guess because he wasn't a good ole boy). I know this Jimmy Johnson is doing pretty good because I hear about it on the sports. The head scatching thing to me is that they have this thing called "The Chase", which is supposed to be some kind of playoff like affair. Yet, they let all the losers into the playoffs, and let them keep playing right up to the last game? If they were going to do it right, they should do it like Survivor or American Idol. You have your top 10 or 15 or whatever, and they run off in 10 or 15 races. In each race, the last place finishers gets kicked off the island, or out of the oval. Then you get it down to 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2....and the last two standing race against each other, winner take all.
Some of you rednecks might say "what good is racing with only a few or only 2 cars". I say, that would be the absolute beauty of it. I might even watch a little of it if they did that.
Actually if you want to see that type of racing, you could check a dirt track event. They do some interesting race types. I've seen "Elimination" runs where they do exactly what you are talking about. Each lap the guy in last place gets the boot until only two are left. You should see that guys in last place fighting to get postion on the second to last place car...
You also get to see the street stock and enduro racing... Normal guys get normal 4 cylinder cars with no mods and race for 50 laps.
Good times.
-
sorry, no way some NASCAR driver goes ahead of the best baseball player ever.
-
I found this blurb in the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
No way
Not every wish comes true, even for a kid whose turn at the draft podium came via the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Zach Hatfield, the 16-year-old who announced Pittsburgh would take Maurkice Pouncey with the Steelers' first-round pick, "decided to push his luck," as profootballtalk.com, put it.
"We were backstage at the draft . . . and I mentioned to the commissioner (Roger Goodell), I asked him, 'So, do you think maybe you could unsuspend Ben Roethlisberger?'" said Hatfield, who suffers from acute promyeloctyic leukemia. "The commissioner just kind of smiled and said, 'I don't think we can do that.'"
See, Ben? Sometimes, no really DOES mean no.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login