Skip to content

BROWNS DEFENSE

The Browns Board
52 29 7.4k
  • Why do you guys think D Jackson will be the back up for Bowens??? I'm sorry, but Jackson should start over Bowens. I was not impressed by him till very late in the season.

    @585dawg said:

    Why do you guys think D Jackson will be the back up for Bowens??? I'm sorry, but Jackson should start over Bowens. I was not impressed by him till very late in the season.

    Rumor has it that Jackson may not even be with us at the start of the season.

  • @585dawg said:

    Why do you guys think D Jackson will be the back up for Bowens??? I'm sorry, but Jackson should start over Bowens. I was not impressed by him till very late in the season.

    Rumor has it that Jackson may not even be with us at the start of the season.

    @next2nothing said:

    Rumor has it that Jackson may not even be with us at the start of the season.

    We still need a veteran WR and Jackson is not happy about being tendered. He may be a hold out if we can't ship him out.

  • Why do you guys think D Jackson will be the back up for Bowens??? I'm sorry, but Jackson should start over Bowens. I was not impressed by him till very late in the season.

    @585dawg said:

    Why do you guys think D Jackson will be the back up for Bowens??? I'm sorry, but Jackson should start over Bowens. I was not impressed by him till very late in the season.

    I was not wowed by Bowens at OLB but I was re-watching the pittsburgh game the other day and bowens (who was inside at the time) was in on almost every big play. I saw him sack Ben a couple times, stop a runningback on 3rd and short, defend a big pass at the end of the game and countless other plays. He was money that game

  • TJ Ward .................... Sheldon Brown
    Eric Wright .......................................................................... Joe Haden
    Matt Roth .... David Bowens .... Scott Fujita .... Chris Gocong
    Robaire Smith ... Shaun Rogers ... Kenyon Coleman



    I was not a big fan of moving Sheldon Brown to Safety, but Hot-damn, I'm liking that Defensive Secondary right there.

    Replace Coleman with some solid play and we have ourselves a nice defense. Can we squeeze Rubin in alongside Rogers in Coleman's spot?
  • So, guys, help out a fellow-Browns fan who played soccer instead of football:

    I don't understand the distinction above between nose tackle and defensive tackle in a 3-4 defense. Isn't there just one tackle, the nose tackle, in a 3-4? And then two ends on each side?

    I also don't understand the difference between free safety and strong safety, but that should be easy to look up.

    @professor_g said:

    So, guys, help out a fellow-Browns fan who played soccer instead of football:

    I don't understand the distinction above between nose tackle and defensive tackle in a 3-4 defense. Isn't there just one tackle, the nose tackle, in a 3-4? And then two ends on each side?

    I also don't understand the difference between free safety and strong safety, but that should be easy to look up.

    Not sure why a "defensive tackle" is listed. In the 3-4 the only DT is the Nose Tackle, the other 2 defenders are Defensive Ends.

    The strong safety is called that because they line up on the offense's strong side (ie opposite the tight end).

    There are also differences in size and responsibilities, but that gives you an idea of layout.

  • Makes perfect sense now. Thanks!

  • Im sorry but there is so much wrong with this analysis.

  • Then let's hear the "correct" analysis...

  • Hope we are sandbagging Veikune....let's not sleep on him...if he can't crack the lineup this year...he may be bust material

  • Is there a reason you have listed a NT, DT, and DE, when we really have a NT, LDE, and RDE?

  • this is how I envision it

    front 3: Smith, Rogers, Coleman. With rubin and Rogers splitting time at NT and Rogers playing end from time to time

    LB: Roth and gocong on the outside with fujita and bowens inside

    Safeties I have Ward at FS and abe elam, sheldon brown SS. late in the season I think asante will be starting at SS

    CB I have Haden and Wright with Bmac in for nickle and sheldon brown rotating in.

    I personally think Sheldon brown is the key to this whole defense being very very very good.

  • Is there a reason you have listed a NT, DT, and DE, when we really have a NT, LDE, and RDE?

    @thaak said:

    Is there a reason you have listed a NT, DT, and DE, when we really have a NT, LDE, and RDE?

    The source is listed where that article was taken from, it was put up for discussion. With the draft and converting college prospects as well as free agents, undrafted players and others of 4-3's to 3-4's it's not a bad discussion piece to list them either or both ways.

    With that said, who is out there to unseat Coleman? Does D'Qwell Jackson fit into this mix?

    I think the DB's are set, and instead of Sheldon Brown being the 'key', such as Dawgfanforever88 suggested, I see Haden and how quickly he develops as being the key to make Sheldon Brown versatile in unseating a Safety spot.

  • I think the Dline would really benefit from Rogers starting at end and Rubin starting at NT. Of course, it's probably too unorthodox for the coaching staff to implement that, thus it won't happen.

  • @professor_g said:

    So, guys, help out a fellow-Browns fan who played soccer instead of football:

    I don't understand the distinction above between nose tackle and defensive tackle in a 3-4 defense. Isn't there just one tackle, the nose tackle, in a 3-4? And then two ends on each side?

    I also don't understand the difference between free safety and strong safety, but that should be easy to look up.

    Not sure why a "defensive tackle" is listed. In the 3-4 the only DT is the Nose Tackle, the other 2 defenders are Defensive Ends.

    The strong safety is called that because they line up on the offense's strong side (ie opposite the tight end).

    There are also differences in size and responsibilities, but that gives you an idea of layout.

    @kosar_win said:

    Not sure why a "defensive tackle" is listed. In the 3-4 the only DT is the Nose Tackle, the other 2 defenders are Defensive Ends.

    The strong safety is called that because they line up on the offense's strong side (ie opposite the tight end).

    There are also differences in size and responsibilities, but that gives you an idea of layout.

    I think it's just messed up nomenclature. DT and NT are sometimes used interchangeably although they may not refer to the same type of player. Anyway, assuming there's a reason...I'll take a stab at it.

    The NT is a zero technique player meaning he lines up head up on the center. The 2 DE's line up as 5-techniques which means outside shoulder of the tackles. That said, they aren't always in that configuration. If the line is shifted ("over" shift to the strong side or "under" shift to the weak side) then the alignment can change. The 0-technique nose now might be a 1-technique (in the A gap) or a 2-technique (inside shoulder of the guard). The lineman previously over the tackle may now shift over a guard with a rush OLB dropping onto the line (essentially looking like a 4-3). The question is do they sub a DT or do they still use a DE. Here's a diagram where you'll notice numbers over the OL. Those are the "techniques".

    As per the other parts of the lineup...I think you'll see a safety tandem of Elam and Ward or Adams and Ward. In the old days a strong safety was a bigger guy who covered the TE and the Free Safety was a guy who played centerfield. Nowadays, they both have to do a bit of both. I think that the makeup of the starting backfield has more to do with how good Haden is rather than anything else.

  • TJ Ward .................... Sheldon Brown
    Eric Wright .......................................................................... Joe Haden
    Matt Roth .... David Bowens .... Scott Fujita .... Chris Gocong
    Robaire Smith ... Shaun Rogers ... Kenyon Coleman



    I was not a big fan of moving Sheldon Brown to Safety, but Hot-damn, I'm liking that Defensive Secondary right there.

    Replace Coleman with some solid play and we have ourselves a nice defense. Can we squeeze Rubin in alongside Rogers in Coleman's spot?

    @atenears said:

    TJ Ward .................... Sheldon Brown

    Eric Wright .......................................................................... Joe Haden

    Matt Roth .... David Bowens .... Scott Fujita .... Chris Gocong

    Robaire Smith ... Shaun Rogers ... Kenyon Coleman

    I was not a big fan of moving Sheldon Brown to Safety, but Hot-damn, I'm liking that Defensive Secondary right there.

    Replace Coleman with some solid play and we have ourselves a nice defense. Can we squeeze Rubin in alongside Rogers in Coleman's spot?

    You could move rogers outside and play Rubin.....I think we are wasting a large degree of rogers talent as a fireplug in the middle...let him get in the backfield like MD Perry did and disrupt some things before they start.

  • How about this for a bizarre question:

    If the Cavs can actually put a lineup on the floor where every position is filled by a guy that is 6'8 or 6'9 why couldn't the Browns put a defense on the field that consists of 8 linebackers and 3 DBs?

    Its just one of those mad scientist questions.

  • Zombo said:

    Because we would never control the line of scrimmage as 320 LB Offensive lineman push back four or five yards on every play and we go 0-16 without one team attempting a pass on us all year.

    I am not saying that an 8 linebacker scheme should be a base defense, but what about on an occasional play, like a 3rd and long?

  • @atenears said:

    TJ Ward .................... Sheldon Brown

    Eric Wright .......................................................................... Joe Haden

    Matt Roth .... David Bowens .... Scott Fujita .... Chris Gocong

    Robaire Smith ... Shaun Rogers ... Kenyon Coleman

    I was not a big fan of moving Sheldon Brown to Safety, but Hot-damn, I'm liking that Defensive Secondary right there.

    Replace Coleman with some solid play and we have ourselves a nice defense. Can we squeeze Rubin in alongside Rogers in Coleman's spot?

    You could move rogers outside and play Rubin.....I think we are wasting a large degree of rogers talent as a fireplug in the middle...let him get in the backfield like MD Perry did and disrupt some things before they start.

    @ballpeen said:

    You could move rogers outside and play Rubin.....I think we are wasting a large degree of rogers talent as a fireplug in the middle...let him get in the backfield like MD Perry did and disrupt some things before they start.

    I get the feeling we will move Rogers outside and play Rubin much more than anticipated. I believe we aren't done yet though either, I think we still have a few big bodies to bring in, or possibly acquire.

    We can always wait to pick-up a salary cap casualty from the wire once teams are forced to make cuts.

  • And I still feel we are going to swap Jackson.....maybe a player over a pick.

  • How about this for a bizarre question:

    If the Cavs can actually put a lineup on the floor where every position is filled by a guy that is 6'8 or 6'9 why couldn't the Browns put a defense on the field that consists of 8 linebackers and 3 DBs?

    Its just one of those mad scientist questions.

    @the-gipper said:

    How about this for a bizarre question:

    If the Cavs can actually put a lineup on the floor where every position is filled by a guy that is 6'8 or 6'9 why couldn't the Browns put a defense on the field that consists of 8 linebackers and 3 DBs?

    Its just one of those mad scientist questions.

    I think Chris Palmer tried something like that it was called th....th...... hold on I can't stop laughing......the........UFO defense!

    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! 😆

    Oh god I'm glad Mangini and Holmgren are here.