BROWNS DEFENSE
-
this is how I envision it
front 3: Smith, Rogers, Coleman. With rubin and Rogers splitting time at NT and Rogers playing end from time to time
LB: Roth and gocong on the outside with fujita and bowens inside
Safeties I have Ward at FS and abe elam, sheldon brown SS. late in the season I think asante will be starting at SS
CB I have Haden and Wright with Bmac in for nickle and sheldon brown rotating in.
I personally think Sheldon brown is the key to this whole defense being very very very good.
-
Is there a reason you have listed a NT, DT, and DE, when we really have a NT, LDE, and RDE?
The source is listed where that article was taken from, it was put up for discussion. With the draft and converting college prospects as well as free agents, undrafted players and others of 4-3's to 3-4's it's not a bad discussion piece to list them either or both ways.
With that said, who is out there to unseat Coleman? Does D'Qwell Jackson fit into this mix?
I think the DB's are set, and instead of Sheldon Brown being the 'key', such as Dawgfanforever88 suggested, I see Haden and how quickly he develops as being the key to make Sheldon Brown versatile in unseating a Safety spot.
-
I think the Dline would really benefit from Rogers starting at end and Rubin starting at NT. Of course, it's probably too unorthodox for the coaching staff to implement that, thus it won't happen.
-
So, guys, help out a fellow-Browns fan who played soccer instead of football:
I don't understand the distinction above between nose tackle and defensive tackle in a 3-4 defense. Isn't there just one tackle, the nose tackle, in a 3-4? And then two ends on each side?
I also don't understand the difference between free safety and strong safety, but that should be easy to look up.
Not sure why a "defensive tackle" is listed. In the 3-4 the only DT is the Nose Tackle, the other 2 defenders are Defensive Ends.
The strong safety is called that because they line up on the offense's strong side (ie opposite the tight end).
There are also differences in size and responsibilities, but that gives you an idea of layout.
Not sure why a "defensive tackle" is listed. In the 3-4 the only DT is the Nose Tackle, the other 2 defenders are Defensive Ends.
The strong safety is called that because they line up on the offense's strong side (ie opposite the tight end).
There are also differences in size and responsibilities, but that gives you an idea of layout.
I think it's just messed up nomenclature. DT and NT are sometimes used interchangeably although they may not refer to the same type of player. Anyway, assuming there's a reason...I'll take a stab at it.
The NT is a zero technique player meaning he lines up head up on the center. The 2 DE's line up as 5-techniques which means outside shoulder of the tackles. That said, they aren't always in that configuration. If the line is shifted ("over" shift to the strong side or "under" shift to the weak side) then the alignment can change. The 0-technique nose now might be a 1-technique (in the A gap) or a 2-technique (inside shoulder of the guard). The lineman previously over the tackle may now shift over a guard with a rush OLB dropping onto the line (essentially looking like a 4-3). The question is do they sub a DT or do they still use a DE. Here's a diagram where you'll notice numbers over the OL. Those are the "techniques".
As per the other parts of the lineup...I think you'll see a safety tandem of Elam and Ward or Adams and Ward. In the old days a strong safety was a bigger guy who covered the TE and the Free Safety was a guy who played centerfield. Nowadays, they both have to do a bit of both. I think that the makeup of the starting backfield has more to do with how good Haden is rather than anything else.
-
TJ Ward .................... Sheldon Brown
Eric Wright .......................................................................... Joe Haden
Matt Roth .... David Bowens .... Scott Fujita .... Chris Gocong
Robaire Smith ... Shaun Rogers ... Kenyon Coleman
I was not a big fan of moving Sheldon Brown to Safety, but Hot-damn, I'm liking that Defensive Secondary right there.
Replace Coleman with some solid play and we have ourselves a nice defense. Can we squeeze Rubin in alongside Rogers in Coleman's spot?TJ Ward .................... Sheldon BrownEric Wright .......................................................................... Joe Haden
Matt Roth .... David Bowens .... Scott Fujita .... Chris Gocong
Robaire Smith ... Shaun Rogers ... Kenyon Coleman
I was not a big fan of moving Sheldon Brown to Safety, but Hot-damn, I'm liking that Defensive Secondary right there.
Replace Coleman with some solid play and we have ourselves a nice defense. Can we squeeze Rubin in alongside Rogers in Coleman's spot?
You could move rogers outside and play Rubin.....I think we are wasting a large degree of rogers talent as a fireplug in the middle...let him get in the backfield like MD Perry did and disrupt some things before they start.
-
How about this for a bizarre question:
If the Cavs can actually put a lineup on the floor where every position is filled by a guy that is 6'8 or 6'9 why couldn't the Browns put a defense on the field that consists of 8 linebackers and 3 DBs?
Its just one of those mad scientist questions.
-
Zombo said:
Because we would never control the line of scrimmage as 320 LB Offensive lineman push back four or five yards on every play and we go 0-16 without one team attempting a pass on us all year.
I am not saying that an 8 linebacker scheme should be a base defense, but what about on an occasional play, like a 3rd and long?
-
TJ Ward .................... Sheldon Brown
Eric Wright .......................................................................... Joe Haden
Matt Roth .... David Bowens .... Scott Fujita .... Chris Gocong
Robaire Smith ... Shaun Rogers ... Kenyon Coleman
I was not a big fan of moving Sheldon Brown to Safety, but Hot-damn, I'm liking that Defensive Secondary right there.
Replace Coleman with some solid play and we have ourselves a nice defense. Can we squeeze Rubin in alongside Rogers in Coleman's spot?
You could move rogers outside and play Rubin.....I think we are wasting a large degree of rogers talent as a fireplug in the middle...let him get in the backfield like MD Perry did and disrupt some things before they start.
You could move rogers outside and play Rubin.....I think we are wasting a large degree of rogers talent as a fireplug in the middle...let him get in the backfield like MD Perry did and disrupt some things before they start.
I get the feeling we will move Rogers outside and play Rubin much more than anticipated. I believe we aren't done yet though either, I think we still have a few big bodies to bring in, or possibly acquire.
We can always wait to pick-up a salary cap casualty from the wire once teams are forced to make cuts.
-
And I still feel we are going to swap Jackson.....maybe a player over a pick.
-
How about this for a bizarre question:
If the Cavs can actually put a lineup on the floor where every position is filled by a guy that is 6'8 or 6'9 why couldn't the Browns put a defense on the field that consists of 8 linebackers and 3 DBs?
Its just one of those mad scientist questions.
How about this for a bizarre question:
If the Cavs can actually put a lineup on the floor where every position is filled by a guy that is 6'8 or 6'9 why couldn't the Browns put a defense on the field that consists of 8 linebackers and 3 DBs?
Its just one of those mad scientist questions.
I think Chris Palmer tried something like that it was called th....th...... hold on I can't stop laughing......the........UFO defense!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Oh god I'm glad Mangini and Holmgren are here.
-
im not convinced of that, mop.
i know im the minority....but we have all youth there, and am confident in this coaching staffs ability to get the most out of those guys. in a run first offense with (reportedly) marginal QB play, a vet isn't going to help translate into wins....
let the youngins take their lumps now so we're set in 2 years.
-
Meanwhile, these guys are talking about impact players taken in the draft.
Joe Haden is going to be a huge impact for the Browns:
http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/nfl/1...28#nfl/19307428
-
possible surprises: a beefed up Veikune at DE, Francies focusing more on FS than CB, and i see Trusnic more backing up or challenging for LOLB and providing ILB depth in a pinch.
between Wright and Haden, who's the better man on the right side? cuz thas what should determine who ends up playing there...or alternately, who's worse on the left.
should Haden need to focus on the opposite side he played predominately, could it possibly Retard his growth? i just hope he is as effective if he is the one moved to the left.
-
Meanwhile, these guys are talking about impact players taken in the draft.
Joe Haden is going to be a huge impact for the Browns:
http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/nfl/1...28#nfl/19307428
Meanwhile, these guys are talking about impact players taken in the draft.
Joe Haden is going to be a huge impact for the Browns:
http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/nfl/1...28#nfl/19307428
I agree about Haden, & Ward will be too, given good health.
I would love to see them play Rogers (if he's here) outside on 2nd & 3rd downs. After all, he needed breathers last year. Give the middle to Rubin & take advantage of Roger's ability to penetrate. I see many reasons to think this defense could make a MAJOR turn around this coming season.
Mike
-
im not convinced of that, mop.
i know im the minority....but we have all youth there, and am confident in this coaching staffs ability to get the most out of those guys. in a run first offense with (reportedly) marginal QB play, a vet isn't going to help translate into wins....
let the youngins take their lumps now so we're set in 2 years.
im not convinced of that, mop.
i know im the minority....but we have all youth there, and am confident in this coaching staffs ability to get the most out of those guys. in a run first offense with (reportedly) marginal QB play, a vet isn't going to help translate into wins....
let the youngins take their lumps now so we're set in 2 years.
You know what, that does make sense too. I think MoMass will be much better in his 2nd year and with a vet at QB helping him and the other guys along, it could be just fine.
-
possible surprises: a beefed up Veikune at DE, Francies focusing more on FS than CB, and i see Trusnic more backing up or challenging for LOLB and providing ILB depth in a pinch.
between Wright and Haden, who's the better man on the right side? cuz thas what should determine who ends up playing there...or alternately, who's worse on the left.
should Haden need to focus on the opposite side he played predominately, could it possibly Retard his growth? i just hope he is as effective if he is the one moved to the left.
between Wright and Haden, who's the better man on the right side? cuz thas what should determine who ends up playing there...or alternately, who's worse on the left.
should Haden need to focus on the opposite side he played predominately, could it possibly Retard his growth? i just hope he is as effective if he is the one moved to the left.
I don't feel that is a big issue for corners like it is for linemen or backers with hands down or swim moves.
Top corners are assigned players to cover....your guy lines up on the left, you line up there......he lines up on the right, you line up there.
Trust me here....I have seen Joe play for a while....maybe close to a dozen times in person....he can play anywhere he wants.
I know, I am known as a Gator homer, yada,yada,yada.....but he is a Brown now and I don't let my college homerism cloud my opinion in so far as my feelings for the Browns.....Joe is a player.....and a damn fine one....don't worry about what side he plays...worry about something else.
-
Does 10 linebackers on the roster seem like a lot? I would think a team would carry more like 8 at the most. I never really thought about this until now
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login