Soccer Thread
-
Attendance could be greater because MLS is generally played in football/baseball stadiums that hold ALOT more people then say a basketball/hockey arena. Plus there are more games in a basketball/hockey season which could potentially drag down the demand for tickets. The figures you gave for hockey and bball attendance are just shy of 17,000 for NHL and just above 17,000 for NBA and that is generally about how many fans an average arena holds. MLS is about 18500 per game and they are playing in a place like Giants stadium for instance which holds what 50,000?
I am not a big soccer fan by any stretch of the imagination and not 100 percent sure of the rules ... but if the offside rule is the same as it is in hockey you can't IMO remove that.
That's not necessarily true anymore. When the MLS first started, teams did use football stadiums simply because there were a lack of places to play. But now, only three teams play in football stadiums, the New England Revolution, Philadelphia Union, and Seattle Sounders FC. This is the last year Philly will be playing at Lincoln Financial, however, as they are currently constructing their own stadium.
Most of the stadiums used by MLS teams today are either soccer-specific stadiums or multi-use stadiums, with their secondary use being as a site for concerts. The capacity of most of these stadiums is around 20,000 people. So, although they aren't quite filling up to capacity, they are getting pretty damn close.
That's not necessarily true anymore. When the MLS first started, teams did use football stadiums simply because there were a lack of places to play. But now, only three teams play in football stadiums, the New England Revolution, Philadelphia Union, and Seattle Sounders FC. This is the last year Philly will be playing at Lincoln Financial, however, as they are currently constructing their own stadium.
Most of the stadiums used by MLS teams today are either soccer-specific stadiums or multi-use stadiums, with their secondary use being as a site for concerts. The capacity of most of these stadiums is around 20,000 people. So, although they aren't quite filling up to capacity, they are getting pretty damn close.
Well, I have also seen a couple of the soccer stadiums from the outside. (never been to a game) Including the one in Columbus. That is essentially an erector set stadium. As an architectural structure it is not very impressive. Not nearly as much as the Jake (yea, I'm still calling it that), or CBS, or certainly Ohio Stadium.
-
Rules do differ by country. But there's also no world championship tournament in any of the other sports like there is in soccer. I think every league tries to adhere to the worldwide sanctioned rules of play in order to give their national team the best chance at bringing home the Cup. If we rid the MLS of the offside rule, then we wouldn't have a shot at competing in the World Cup. And that would be a shame, because our National team is definitely one to contend nowadays. We're no longer the American patsies we used to be on the pitch.
The NFL did change the rules, you're right. But football was a relatively new sport then, and I use relatively as a very loose term. Soccer has been around for much longer, and the rules have barely changed throughout time.
I don't believe I'm contradicting myself in the least. If I wanted to watch a fast-paced, high scoring game, I'll watch basketball. When I want to watch a slower paced, lower-scoring, defensive challenge, I'll watch soccer. Or Big-10 basketball. The very nature of soccer is it's difficulty of scoring, and has been since it was created. It would be different if soccer once was a fast-paced score-fest that somehow got slowed down. Soccer is meant to be played the way it is and has been.
I'm sure that teams wouldn't allow a player to calmly camp near their goal, you're correct. But putting a defender on him will do nothing in terms of making the games faster. All that will do is spread the players even more throughout the pitch, and you'll just see nothing but 90 minutes of full-field passes that are defended and shot the other way with the goal thrown in at about every 3rd or 4th pass. Nobody would really be running, it would be nothing but long passes. The offsides rule keeps the game flowing back and forth.
Are you implying that the entire game should be replaced by just a shootout? Keep in mind that in an overtime shootout, players are shooting from the penalty mark, which is 12 yards from the goal. They cannot move the ball from the mark, and only have one attempt per kick. No rebounds. In a game, I highly doubt a player would stop 12 yards from the goal and kick the ball once and only once. So instead of looking at an 8-5 game, we'd be looking at a 35-30 game. You're telling me you'd watch 90 minutes of soccer if they were scoring 35 goals? I doubt that. Keep in mind that in football, although the score looks high, a team is really only scoring 3-4 times a game, sometimes less.
I don't think you actually claimed they were the same, I kind of just assumed you figured they were. Most people do. That's my fault. I would like to see soccer try and adopt the hockey offside ruling, but I think it would be too hard and produce the same results. On hockey, you're on ice and it's easier to time crossing the line right when the puck crosses. In soccer it would be a little too... clunky. And less graceful. I don't know, I'm torn on that. I don't think it would change the pace of the game, though.
The fallacies I was referring to were the ones where you assumed that since I like the offside rule in soccer, I like the four corners offense in basketball and so forth. I believe it's called hasty generalization. Like I said before, I'm hardly the passionate fan. I'm a 4 year fan, if anything. I get involved in World Cup years. I claim to be a Man City fan, but I couldn't even tell you their record, their number of championships, or how their league is even structured.
I know Lamar Hunt is deceased. I actually remember where I was when I found out he died. But he was the catalyst in getting these soccer-specific stadiums constructed.
-
That's not necessarily true anymore. When the MLS first started, teams did use football stadiums simply because there were a lack of places to play. But now, only three teams play in football stadiums, the New England Revolution, Philadelphia Union, and Seattle Sounders FC. This is the last year Philly will be playing at Lincoln Financial, however, as they are currently constructing their own stadium.
Most of the stadiums used by MLS teams today are either soccer-specific stadiums or multi-use stadiums, with their secondary use being as a site for concerts. The capacity of most of these stadiums is around 20,000 people. So, although they aren't quite filling up to capacity, they are getting pretty damn close.
Well, I have also seen a couple of the soccer stadiums from the outside. (never been to a game) Including the one in Columbus. That is essentially an erector set stadium. As an architectural structure it is not very impressive. Not nearly as much as the Jake (yea, I'm still calling it that), or CBS, or certainly Ohio Stadium.
Well, I have also seen a couple of the soccer stadiums from the outside. (never been to a game) Including the one in Columbus. That is essentially an erector set stadium. As an architectural structure it is not very impressive. Not nearly as much as the Jake (yea, I'm still calling it that), or CBS, or certainly Ohio Stadium.
I never claimed they were works of art, but they do what they were intended to do.
-
Rules do differ by country. But there's also no world championship tournament in any of the other sports like there is in soccer. I think every league tries to adhere to the worldwide sanctioned rules of play in order to give their national team the best chance at bringing home the Cup. If we rid the MLS of the offside rule, then we wouldn't have a shot at competing in the World Cup. And that would be a shame, because our National team is definitely one to contend nowadays. We're no longer the American patsies we used to be on the pitch.
The NFL did change the rules, you're right. But football was a relatively new sport then, and I use relatively as a very loose term. Soccer has been around for much longer, and the rules have barely changed throughout time.
I don't believe I'm contradicting myself in the least. If I wanted to watch a fast-paced, high scoring game, I'll watch basketball. When I want to watch a slower paced, lower-scoring, defensive challenge, I'll watch soccer. Or Big-10 basketball. The very nature of soccer is it's difficulty of scoring, and has been since it was created. It would be different if soccer once was a fast-paced score-fest that somehow got slowed down. Soccer is meant to be played the way it is and has been.
I'm sure that teams wouldn't allow a player to calmly camp near their goal, you're correct. But putting a defender on him will do nothing in terms of making the games faster. All that will do is spread the players even more throughout the pitch, and you'll just see nothing but 90 minutes of full-field passes that are defended and shot the other way with the goal thrown in at about every 3rd or 4th pass. Nobody would really be running, it would be nothing but long passes. The offsides rule keeps the game flowing back and forth.
Are you implying that the entire game should be replaced by just a shootout? Keep in mind that in an overtime shootout, players are shooting from the penalty mark, which is 12 yards from the goal. They cannot move the ball from the mark, and only have one attempt per kick. No rebounds. In a game, I highly doubt a player would stop 12 yards from the goal and kick the ball once and only once. So instead of looking at an 8-5 game, we'd be looking at a 35-30 game. You're telling me you'd watch 90 minutes of soccer if they were scoring 35 goals? I doubt that. Keep in mind that in football, although the score looks high, a team is really only scoring 3-4 times a game, sometimes less.
I don't think you actually claimed they were the same, I kind of just assumed you figured they were. Most people do. That's my fault. I would like to see soccer try and adopt the hockey offside ruling, but I think it would be too hard and produce the same results. On hockey, you're on ice and it's easier to time crossing the line right when the puck crosses. In soccer it would be a little too... clunky. And less graceful. I don't know, I'm torn on that. I don't think it would change the pace of the game, though.
The fallacies I was referring to were the ones where you assumed that since I like the offside rule in soccer, I like the four corners offense in basketball and so forth. I believe it's called hasty generalization. Like I said before, I'm hardly the passionate fan. I'm a 4 year fan, if anything. I get involved in World Cup years. I claim to be a Man City fan, but I couldn't even tell you their record, their number of championships, or how their league is even structured.
I know Lamar Hunt is deceased. I actually remember where I was when I found out he died. But he was the catalyst in getting these soccer-specific stadiums constructed.
Rules do differ by country. But there's also no world championship tournament in any of the other sports like there is in soccer.
That is not true at all. There are World Championships/Cups in basketball, baseball, golf, cricket, rugby, hockey, practically every sport except football. (International basketball rules are different than NBA/NCAA. They have the goofy trapezoid foul key, they allow goaltending, etc.)
I think every league tries to adhere to the worldwide sanctioned rules of play in order to give their national team the best chance at bringing home the Cup. If we rid the MLS of the offside rule, then we wouldn't have a shot at competing in the World Cup. And that would be a shame, because our National team is definitely one to contend nowadays. We're no longer the American patsies we used to be on the pitch.
I disagree. If the NBA disallows goaltending, but International basketball rules allow it, does that give the USA a disadvantage, no. the MLS could easily adopt a no offside rule and we would still do just fine in international, no sweat!
The NFL did change the rules, you're right. But football was a relatively new sport then, and I use relatively as a very loose term. Soccer has been around for much longer, and the rules have barely changed throughout time.
Right, my point exactly, they haven't adapted. I am not asking the whole world to change. Just American soccer. I mean, we came up with Indoor Soccer. That is totally different....and for a long, long time, more popular in this country....and in this city...than outdoor soccer. It may still be more popular for all I know. I only know that the Force and The Crunch no longer seem to be around.
I don't believe I'm contradicting myself in the least. If I wanted to watch a fast-paced, high scoring game, I'll watch basketball. When I want to watch a slower paced, lower-scoring, defensive challenge, I'll watch soccer. Or Big-10 basketball. The very nature of soccer is it's difficulty of scoring, and has been since it was created. It would be different if soccer once was a fast-paced score-fest that somehow got slowed down. Soccer is meant to be played the way it is and has been.
And, again, by that argument, it could be said that football should never have adopted the forward pass...I mean, originally, it was meant to be a purely running game, but it adapted.
I'm sure that teams wouldn't allow a player to calmly camp near their goal, you're correct. But putting a defender on him will do nothing in terms of making the games faster. All that will do is spread the players even more throughout the pitch, and you'll just see nothing but 90 minutes of full-field passes that are defended and shot the other way with the goal thrown in at about every 3rd or 4th pass. Nobody would really be running, it would be nothing but long passes. The offsides rule keeps the game flowing back and forth.
You are forgetting that if one team has cherry pickers down at one end, the other team could have down at the other end, as I said, a constant power play....It it THAT that keeps players in basketball from cherry picking, it is THAT that would keep soccer players from cherry picking. (and yea, it IS my intent to open up the players, and have a few more long passes...just like in football and baseball....chicks dig the long ball!) (It wouldn't be as bad as you claim, and teams would adjust their strategies....just like when the DH was instituted, just like when the 3 point goal was instituted, or the shot clock, the coaches and players WOULD adjust. They are smart enough to...and they would adjust to winning 7-4 as opposed to 2-1)
Are you implying that the entire game should be replaced by just a shootout?
No, only by a more wide open offense, with elements of the shootout incorporated into regular action.
Keep in mind that in an overtime shootout, players are shooting from the penalty mark, which is 12 yards from the goal. They cannot move the ball from the mark, and only have one attempt per kick. No rebounds. In a game, I highly doubt a player would stop 12 yards from the goal and kick the ball once and only once. So instead of looking at an 8-5 game, we'd be looking at a 35-30 game. You're telling me you'd watch 90 minutes of soccer if they were scoring 35 goals? I doubt that. Keep in mind that in football, although the score looks high, a team is really only scoring 3-4 times a game, sometimes less.
Even Indoor soccer which was played on a much smaller field, and if I am correct had NO offside rule didn't have scores like that...so you are just being silly with your prediction of 35 goal games. You might have the occasional 10 goal game though....if you had a really bad goalie.
-
I couldn't disagree with The Gipper more. If you do away with offsides in Soccer, it literally would ruin the game.
The lower the level the game, the more offsides tends to slow it down or ruin good scoring chances.
Americans also have the attitude of quick gratification, and you see this in MLS play to some extent. The national team is finally starting to realize how Soccer is played. The biggest thing a team can have in Soccer is anticipatory patience. You gotta be ready to take advantage whenever the time comes, but meanwhile, you bide your time. It doesn't mean you don't try to manufacture those opportunities, but the majority of the World Cup championship teams, are the patient teams, not the flashy ones.
The lower levels of the game, especially in America, tend to long serves or through passes. The easiest way to defeat an overly aggressive team with lots of speed, is to do the offsides trap. Hell, when I played when younger, half the defenders didn't know how to pull a trap, but the offensive players were so aggressive they ended up offsides anyways.
As you gain in experience and raise your level of play, you realize that patience is the biggest virtue. You play the game, you pass the ball, you create your opportunities through patience, perseverance, and sound team technique or tactics. Fundamentals.
A good soccer game can end 0-0 and go to a shoot-out, and still be extremely exciting as you watch the on-field chess match. Rarely do offsides cause game slow down or cause major shifts in momentum at the elite levels, because the players understand how to use/can be used against them.
-
OK, glad you get it now. Also, here is a nickel's worth of free advice: ditch the futbol and get with it with real football.
Yeah, the real football rules by a HUGE margin. Football is better than every other sport on the planet, imho.
But back in HS I was about 135 lbs-- not exactly football material. (I'm 30 lbs bigger now, but at 40 years old opportunities for football have all but disappeared.) Also, I grew up in California in the 70s and 80s where kids mainly played baseball, soccer, and basketball. I think kids here in Ohio play a lot more football than we did. Then again, Seneca Wallace is from my hometown, Sacramento!
Yeah, the real football rules by a HUGE margin. Football is better than every other sport on the planet, imho.
But back in HS I was about 135 lbs-- not exactly football material. (I'm 30 lbs bigger now, but at 40 years old opportunities for football have all but disappeared.) Also, I grew up in California in the 70s and 80s where kids mainly played baseball, soccer, and basketball. I think kids here in Ohio play a lot more football than we did. Then again, Seneca Wallace is from my hometown, Sacramento!
yeah, that's because all you need is a ball and space to play in. you really don't even need a ball. you can use a can or even a pine cone.
-
soccer is one of the biggest sissy games in the world. it involved running away from other sissies and taking dives. i played four years of college rugby, and we all knew that soccer was for queers. need evidence? here you go.
need more evidence?
-
soccer is one of the biggest sissy games in the world. it involved running away from other sissies and taking dives. i played four years of college rugby, and we all knew that soccer was for queers. need evidence? here you go.
need more evidence?
soccer is one of the biggest sissy games in the world. it involved running away from other sissies and taking dives. i played four years of college rugby, and we all knew that soccer was for queers. need evidence? here you go.
need more evidence?
U know about Soccer by playing Rugby ? Well then how did u learn about NFL ? I would love to know.
-
soccer is one of the biggest sissy games in the world. it involved running away from other sissies and taking dives. i played four years of college rugby, and we all knew that soccer was for queers. need evidence? here you go.
need more evidence?
U know about Soccer by playing Rugby ? Well then how did u learn about NFL ? I would love to know.
U know about Soccer by playing Rugby ? Well then how did u learn about NFL ? I would love to know.
what i know about soccer is what i see with my own eyes; people taking dives. my best friend played soccer all through high school and he said that his early coaches told him to take dives if their team was down. i don't quite think you understand what i was saying. i simply meant that we spent a lot of time making fun of the soccer players who practiced before us. their parties sucked too. rugby parties are way better. if you've never been to one, you're missing out.
-
soccer is one of the biggest sissy games in the world. it involved running away from other sissies and taking dives. i played four years of college rugby, and we all knew that soccer was for queers. need evidence? here you go.
need more evidence?
soccer is one of the biggest sissy games in the world. it involved running away from other sissies and taking dives. i played four years of college rugby, and we all knew that soccer was for queers. need evidence? here you go.
You probably just suck at it. I play rugby too, but I still love soccer, and a bunch of people on my team also love soccer. Diving is a part of the game, and sometimes it works, if not, then you look like a fool. But if you go holding your ankle and pouring water on your shin after a call isn't made, I have no sympathy for you because you are a pussy. I was playing an intramural game one time, as keeper, and we played this team of Africans that took the game way too seriously. Anywho, he had a breakaway, but dribbled ahead of himself, so I rushed the ball, and clearly got to it first. The asshole slid cleats up into the side of my leg, and then rolled around and pretended he was hurt, while I got up and limped through the rest of the game. People like that ruin soccer. I don't care if you're going to flop, it happens, and it's a part of the game's strategy, but the theatrics need to fking go.
-
soccer is one of the biggest sissy games in the world. it involved running away from other sissies and taking dives. i played four years of college rugby, and we all knew that soccer was for queers. need evidence? here you go.
You probably just suck at it. I play rugby too, but I still love soccer, and a bunch of people on my team also love soccer. Diving is a part of the game, and sometimes it works, if not, then you look like a fool. But if you go holding your ankle and pouring water on your shin after a call isn't made, I have no sympathy for you because you are a pussy. I was playing an intramural game one time, as keeper, and we played this team of Africans that took the game way too seriously. Anywho, he had a breakaway, but dribbled ahead of himself, so I rushed the ball, and clearly got to it first. The asshole slid cleats up into the side of my leg, and then rolled around and pretended he was hurt, while I got up and limped through the rest of the game. People like that ruin soccer. I don't care if you're going to flop, it happens, and it's a part of the game's strategy, but the theatrics need to fking go.
You probably just suck at it. I play rugby too, but I still love soccer, and a bunch of people on my team also love soccer. Diving is a part of the game, and sometimes it works, if not, then you look like a fool. But if you go holding your ankle and pouring water on your shin after a call isn't made, I have no sympathy for you because you are a pussy. I was playing an intramural game one time, as keeper, and we played this team of Africans that took the game way too seriously. Anywho, he had a breakaway, but dribbled ahead of himself, so I rushed the ball, and clearly got to it first. The asshole slid cleats up into the side of my leg, and then rolled around and pretended he was hurt, while I got up and limped through the rest of the game. People like that ruin soccer. I don't care if you're going to flop, it happens, and it's a part of the game's strategy, but the theatrics need to fking go.
i'm not saying that there isn't a level of toughness to it, but when coaches tell their players to flop, it loses all credibility. you even admitted it is part of the game. how can anyone explain this? when a pitch comes inside in baseball, do people hit the ground like they just got hit? no, because they know it didn't hit them. soccer is ridiculous and anyone who takes a dive is a pussy. i'm not saying that all soccer playing are girls, but the ones who fall down are. and yes, i suck at soccer. however, it is only because i never played and only tried because i was forced to in gym during middle school. it sucks.
-
I mean, yeah, it's the easy way out. The times I flopped were the times I'd get beat, but the ref didn't have a good view of me. It results in our team having possession or a free kick to have a set play from. It's up to the officials to get it right. If you do it right, then it could save your team, if you do it wrong, and the ref sees you, you get carded. It's an easy way out, and really there is not much respect to be had to those that do it, but the game just facilitates it. What are your thoughts on basketball and people like Varejao.
-
I mean, yeah, it's the easy way out. The times I flopped were the times I'd get beat, but the ref didn't have a good view of me. It results in our team having possession or a free kick to have a set play from. It's up to the officials to get it right. If you do it right, then it could save your team, if you do it wrong, and the ref sees you, you get carded. It's an easy way out, and really there is not much respect to be had to those that do it, but the game just facilitates it. What are your thoughts on basketball and people like Varejao.
I mean, yeah, it's the easy way out. The times I flopped were the times I'd get beat, but the ref didn't have a good view of me. It results in our team having possession or a free kick to have a set play from. It's up to the officials to get it right. If you do it right, then it could save your team, if you do it wrong, and the ref sees you, you get carded. It's an easy way out, and really there is not much respect to be had to those that do it, but the game just facilitates it. What are your thoughts on basketball and people like Varejao.
it's bogus and it pisses me off when they do it too. i just hate fakers and people who have to cheat to win. if you get beat, you don't flop. you learn from it and get better so that it doesn't happen again.
-
I couldn't disagree with The Gipper more. If you do away with offsides in Soccer, it literally would ruin the game.
The lower the level the game, the more offsides tends to slow it down or ruin good scoring chances.
Americans also have the attitude of quick gratification, and you see this in MLS play to some extent. The national team is finally starting to realize how Soccer is played. The biggest thing a team can have in Soccer is anticipatory patience. You gotta be ready to take advantage whenever the time comes, but meanwhile, you bide your time. It doesn't mean you don't try to manufacture those opportunities, but the majority of the World Cup championship teams, are the patient teams, not the flashy ones.
The lower levels of the game, especially in America, tend to long serves or through passes. The easiest way to defeat an overly aggressive team with lots of speed, is to do the offsides trap. Hell, when I played when younger, half the defenders didn't know how to pull a trap, but the offensive players were so aggressive they ended up offsides anyways.
As you gain in experience and raise your level of play, you realize that patience is the biggest virtue. You play the game, you pass the ball, you create your opportunities through patience, perseverance, and sound team technique or tactics. Fundamentals.
A good soccer game can end 0-0 and go to a shoot-out, and still be extremely exciting as you watch the on-field chess match. Rarely do offsides cause game slow down or cause major shifts in momentum at the elite levels, because the players understand how to use/can be used against them.
I couldn't disagree with The Gipper more. If you do away with offsides in Soccer, it literally would ruin the game.
The lower the level the game, the more offsides tends to slow it down or ruin good scoring chances.
Americans also have the attitude of quick gratification, and you see this in MLS play to some extent. The national team is finally starting to realize how Soccer is played. The biggest thing a team can have in Soccer is anticipatory patience. You gotta be ready to take advantage whenever the time comes, but meanwhile, you bide your time. It doesn't mean you don't try to manufacture those opportunities, but the majority of the World Cup championship teams, are the patient teams, not the flashy ones.
The lower levels of the game, especially in America, tend to long serves or through passes. The easiest way to defeat an overly aggressive team with lots of speed, is to do the offsides trap. Hell, when I played when younger, half the defenders didn't know how to pull a trap, but the offensive players were so aggressive they ended up offsides anyways.
As you gain in experience and raise your level of play, you realize that patience is the biggest virtue. You play the game, you pass the ball, you create your opportunities through patience, perseverance, and sound team technique or tactics. Fundamentals.
A good soccer game can end 0-0 and go to a shoot-out, and still be extremely exciting as you watch the on-field chess match. Rarely do offsides cause game slow down or cause major shifts in momentum at the elite levels, because the players understand how to use/can be used against them.
Oh, I am sure that there are nuances to the way the game is played now. And you have made the right analogy, soccer is basically a field chess match.
But, as far as I am concerned, it is stagnant. Football, baseball, basketball, hockey....and probably a lot more sports have made adjustments to the game to make them more entertaining. I suggested one change to soccer to make it more entertaining. I think I am right. You don't. As far as we are concerned, yea, its a gay sport.
(And by the way, that isn't just an "American" view. I have numerous English cousins. They think that soccer players are a bunch of preening pansies, though I don't know if they have any views on the offsides rule...other than to say "well, those are just the rules". Well, when I grew up, there was no three point shot in basketball. The NBA didn't adopt it until 1980, and the NCAA didn't have it until 1986. Also, there was no shot clock in college basketball until 1985. So, I spent the first 30+ years of my life watching that sport without those rules (though the NBA did have the shot clock since the mid-50s)
-
U know about Soccer by playing Rugby ? Well then how did u learn about NFL ? I would love to know.
what i know about soccer is what i see with my own eyes; people taking dives. my best friend played soccer all through high school and he said that his early coaches told him to take dives if their team was down. i don't quite think you understand what i was saying. i simply meant that we spent a lot of time making fun of the soccer players who practiced before us. their parties sucked too. rugby parties are way better. if you've never been to one, you're missing out.
what i know about soccer is what i see with my own eyes; people taking dives. my best friend played soccer all through high school and he said that his early coaches told him to take dives if their team was down. i don't quite think you understand what i was saying. i simply meant that we spent a lot of time making fun of the soccer players who practiced before us. their parties sucked too. rugby parties are way better. if you've never been to one, you're missing out.
Im sorry. I did misunderstand you.
Diving is a part of soccer. And the reason why it exists is cos there is no video technology in Soccer to examine the dives. So the ref is pressurized into making decisions that can be wrong frequently. it is something that the ruling body should work at eliminating.
-
I couldn't disagree with The Gipper more. If you do away with offsides in Soccer, it literally would ruin the game.
The lower the level the game, the more offsides tends to slow it down or ruin good scoring chances.
Americans also have the attitude of quick gratification, and you see this in MLS play to some extent. The national team is finally starting to realize how Soccer is played. The biggest thing a team can have in Soccer is anticipatory patience. You gotta be ready to take advantage whenever the time comes, but meanwhile, you bide your time. It doesn't mean you don't try to manufacture those opportunities, but the majority of the World Cup championship teams, are the patient teams, not the flashy ones.
The lower levels of the game, especially in America, tend to long serves or through passes. The easiest way to defeat an overly aggressive team with lots of speed, is to do the offsides trap. Hell, when I played when younger, half the defenders didn't know how to pull a trap, but the offensive players were so aggressive they ended up offsides anyways.
As you gain in experience and raise your level of play, you realize that patience is the biggest virtue. You play the game, you pass the ball, you create your opportunities through patience, perseverance, and sound team technique or tactics. Fundamentals.
A good soccer game can end 0-0 and go to a shoot-out, and still be extremely exciting as you watch the on-field chess match. Rarely do offsides cause game slow down or cause major shifts in momentum at the elite levels, because the players understand how to use/can be used against them.
Oh, I am sure that there are nuances to the way the game is played now. And you have made the right analogy, soccer is basically a field chess match.
But, as far as I am concerned, it is stagnant. Football, baseball, basketball, hockey....and probably a lot more sports have made adjustments to the game to make them more entertaining. I suggested one change to soccer to make it more entertaining. I think I am right. You don't. As far as we are concerned, yea, its a gay sport.
(And by the way, that isn't just an "American" view. I have numerous English cousins. They think that soccer players are a bunch of preening pansies, though I don't know if they have any views on the offsides rule...other than to say "well, those are just the rules". Well, when I grew up, there was no three point shot in basketball. The NBA didn't adopt it until 1980, and the NCAA didn't have it until 1986. Also, there was no shot clock in college basketball until 1985. So, I spent the first 30+ years of my life watching that sport without those rules (though the NBA did have the shot clock since the mid-50s)
Oh, I am sure that there are nuances to the way the game is played now. And you have made the right analogy, soccer is basically a field chess match.
But, as far as I am concerned, it is stagnant. Football, baseball, basketball, hockey....and probably a lot more sports have made adjustments to the game to make them more entertaining. I suggested one change to soccer to make it more entertaining. I think I am right. You don't. As far as we are concerned, yea, its a gay sport.
(And by the way, that isn't just an "American" view. I have numerous English cousins. They think that soccer players are a bunch of preening pansies, though I don't know if they have any views on the offsides rule...other than to say "well, those are just the rules". Well, when I grew up, there was no three point shot in basketball. The NBA didn't adopt it until 1980, and the NCAA didn't have it until 1986. Also, there was no shot clock in college basketball until 1985. So, I spent the first 30+ years of my life watching that sport without those rules (though the NBA did have the shot clock since the mid-50s)
I agree with your cousins. (I bolded the type)
sheesh! I may have to move this thread elsewhere.
-
Why are you not counting Soccer?
-
Why are you not counting Soccer?
Because, for now, Soccer is still minor league.
I am not saying it couldn't become a major league, but right now, it ain't. That league has only been around for like 16 years. Had it predecessor, the NASL, which was formed in 1968, but went defunct in 1984, been able to stick around, that may have been another story. This league needs to prove that it won't suffer the same fate.
Plus, I personally believe that it needs to become more national in scope. Right now it is only 19 teams. All the other majors are 30-32 teams. If it could get up to say, 24 teams, and have a presence in cities where it is absent like Atlanta, Miami, Phoenix, Detroit...and yes, Cleveland, maybe Charlotte, Minneapolis...and show that it can average a decent crowd...then maybe after it is stable in that manner a few years it can be elevated. A few on here will say it can never be a major sport, that it is only for Eurotrash.....but I may not be that harsh.
-
Not that I am going to augment my official list with soccer titles, but if one were to do that he would add the following to respective cities totals:
LA +4
DC +4
Houston +2
SF/SJ +2
Chicago +1
Denver +1
KC +1
Salt Lake +1
Columbus +1
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login