Soccer Thread
-
Why are you not counting Soccer?
-
Why are you not counting Soccer?
Because, for now, Soccer is still minor league.
I am not saying it couldn't become a major league, but right now, it ain't. That league has only been around for like 16 years. Had it predecessor, the NASL, which was formed in 1968, but went defunct in 1984, been able to stick around, that may have been another story. This league needs to prove that it won't suffer the same fate.
Plus, I personally believe that it needs to become more national in scope. Right now it is only 19 teams. All the other majors are 30-32 teams. If it could get up to say, 24 teams, and have a presence in cities where it is absent like Atlanta, Miami, Phoenix, Detroit...and yes, Cleveland, maybe Charlotte, Minneapolis...and show that it can average a decent crowd...then maybe after it is stable in that manner a few years it can be elevated. A few on here will say it can never be a major sport, that it is only for Eurotrash.....but I may not be that harsh.
-
Not that I am going to augment my official list with soccer titles, but if one were to do that he would add the following to respective cities totals:
LA +4
DC +4
Houston +2
SF/SJ +2
Chicago +1
Denver +1
KC +1
Salt Lake +1
Columbus +1
-
Why are you not counting Soccer?
Like I said, if the NASL had been able to survive, then perhaps soccer could have attained "major status"...but it didn't. It lasted from 1968-1984. A few things killed it: A. The league was too unstable with its expansion/contraction....in the short course of its 16 year existance, that league had like 67 different teams operating at one time or another. Teams would come in and fold or move after a year or two...if that. Cleveland had a team one year. (The Stokers?....no wonder, bad name). B. The Reagan Recession hit hard in the 80s, causing it to suffer and fold. C. They were paying huge sums of money to European or Brazilian stars....and not watching their revenue. They paid 70% or so of their revenue on player salaries.....where most leagues pay only about 50%.
This new league needs to be careful about that. And though I feel expansion is needed...it cannot be willy nilly.
-
Well now, some of the teams have their own stadiums and they don't play in 3/4 empty 70,000 seat football stadiums. The Columbus stadium is about 25,000 seat and has plenty of revenue outside of soccer. They have concert festivals and I think they use it for some things for the Ohio State fair.
In any event, they get WAY more use from that place then the Browns get from First Energy Stadium, Home of the Cleveland Browns
-
Well now, some of the teams have their own stadiums and they don't play in 3/4 empty 70,000 seat football stadiums. The Columbus stadium is about 25,000 seat and has plenty of revenue outside of soccer. They have concert festivals and I think they use it for some things for the Ohio State fair.
In any event, they get WAY more use from that place then the Browns get from First Energy Stadium, Home of the Cleveland Browns
Well now, some of the teams have their own stadiums and they don't play in 3/4 empty 70,000 seat football stadiums. The Columbus stadium is about 25,000 seat and has plenty of revenue outside of soccer. They have concert festivals and I think they use it for some things for the Ohio State fair.
In any event, they get WAY more use from that place then the Browns get from First Energy Stadium, Home of the Cleveland Browns
Do they? How many games a year do they play? Do colleges use that field? High Schools? I would think that they would have at least the Ohio High Soccer Championships played there.
As for this area, I contend that Randy Lerner should invest some of the money he got fro JH into a Cleveland MLS team, and stadium. I mean, if that is the sport he really loves, he should bring it to his home town.
-
OK, we will zap this to the top of the line in The Barber Shop. Everthing I said before goes here: Change the rules of soccer to open it up. Removing the offside rule would the simplest, most desirable way.
FYI, I believe that the Indoor Soccer game...which had quite a bit of popularity did not employ the offside rule. But in that sport the ball did not go out of bounds unless it bounced into the stands. Usually it would just bounce off the sideboard, like in hockey, and still be in play.
And FYI, I did watch the end of the MLS Championship game between Kansas City and....Seattle?
And you know how that game was decided? On the gimmick of a shootout.
Why bother to play the game at all. Just go to a shootout....take the 10 minutes...and go home. Why keep the people in the stands? To sell beer.
It was an affront to my sense of sportsmanship.
Play the "Golden Goal" rule. You hit it in, you win. This is the way of the NHL playoffs. If they have to play an extra 3 hours so be it. They play the game.....not some bastardization of it.
-
So more than half the planet watches the game or plays the game in some capacity, but they're all wrong and you're right? I can see you've already had the major points made to you but you stubbornly refuse to change your mind, so there's no point going through it all again, but rest assured, soccer is better with the offside rule in place. And the passback rule. And the advantage rule. And all the other changes that have been made to make it better including formations and tactics. It's not changing just to accommodate you, or other instant-gratification types - it seems to be doing well enough in the states as it is, and you're pretty much the last country to catch on.
-
The way I see it is that you have to be suspect of any sport in which the two teams playing for the world championship are France and Italy and the final score is 0 to 0.

WSS
-
The way I see it is that you have to be suspect of any sport in which the two teams playing for the world championship are France and Italy and the final score is 0 to 0.

WSS
The way I see it is that you have to be suspect of any sport in which the two teams playing for the world championship are France and Italy and the final score is 0 to 0.

WSS
You have to be suspect of any sport where the world championship is played by only teams from one country

-
As a defender, I would hate removing offsides. Having that invisible line there makes my job easier. It is an added tactic to use and would stop my me from running miles and miles in a game.
That would be like allowing as many forward passes a play as you like or making everyone on the field an eligible receiver.
Chris, I have played my entire life but have never heard of a "passback" rule. Are you talking about passing it back to a goalie and them not being able to pick it up?
-
As a defender, I would hate removing offsides. Having that invisible line there makes my job easier. It is an added tactic to use and would stop my me from running miles and miles in a game.
That would be like allowing as many forward passes a play as you like or making everyone on the field an eligible receiver.
Chris, I have played my entire life but have never heard of a "passback" rule. Are you talking about passing it back to a goalie and them not being able to pick it up?
As a defender, I would hate removing offsides. Having that invisible line there makes my job easier. It is an added tactic to use and would stop my me from running miles and miles in a game.
That would be like allowing as many forward passes a play as you like or making everyone on the field an eligible receiver.
Chris, I have played my entire life but have never heard of a "passback" rule. Are you talking about passing it back to a goalie and them not being able to pick it up?
That's the one. It used to be legal, until it became a ridiculous time wasting technique, and they outlawed it about 20 years ago:
The back-pass rule was introduced in 1992[3] to discourage time-wasting and overly defensive play after the 1990 World Cup was described as exceedingly dull, rife with back-passing and goalkeepers holding up the ball. Also, goalkeepers would frequently drop the ball and dribble it around, only to pick it up again once opponents came closer to put them under pressure, a typical time-stalling technique.
-
Wow, I just thought that was always a rule (introduced the year I was born). I can't imagine the game with out that rule
-
The way I see it is that you have to be suspect of any sport in which the two teams playing for the world championship are France and Italy and the final score is 0 to 0.

WSS
You have to be suspect of any sport where the world championship is played by only teams from one country

You have to be suspect of any sport where the world championship is played by only teams from one country

True.
Of course the Super Bowl is specifically for American football.
The World Series, of course, has at least one non American team, right? Is Canada still a British colony ?

WSS
-
So more than half the planet watches the game or plays the game in some capacity, but they're all wrong and you're right? I can see you've already had the major points made to you but you stubbornly refuse to change your mind, so there's no point going through it all again, but rest assured, soccer is better with the offside rule in place. And the passback rule. And the advantage rule. And all the other changes that have been made to make it better including formations and tactics. It's not changing just to accommodate you, or other instant-gratification types - it seems to be doing well enough in the states as it is, and you're pretty much the last country to catch on.
So more than half the planet watches the game or plays the game in some capacity, but they're all wrong and you're right? I can see you've already had the major points made to you but you stubbornly refuse to change your mind, so there's no point going through it all again, but rest assured, soccer is better with the offside rule in place. And the passback rule. And the advantage rule. And all the other changes that have been made to make it better including formations and tactics. It's not changing just to accommodate you, or other instant-gratification types - it seems to be doing well enough in the states as it is, and you're pretty much the last country to catch on.
And we don't fucking care. If the rest of the world enjoys the snore fest, more power to them then. Enjoy your 0-0 games that are decided by a gimmick shootout.
To me I would think that a purist like you would object to such gimmickry as the shootout. It would be like having a Football game being decided by a Field Goal kicking contest.
It is absurd.
(But what is worse is the College Football Overtime Rules....another major fucking gimmick way of deciding a game. Trust me....for soccer I am merely making suggestions on how to make it more entertaining. If you want the game to stay in medieval times...so be it. For college football, now that is an area that angers me.)
-
As a defender, I would hate removing offsides. Having that invisible line there makes my job easier. It is an added tactic to use and would stop my me from running miles and miles in a game.
That would be like allowing as many forward passes a play as you like or making everyone on the field an eligible receiver.
Chris, I have played my entire life but have never heard of a "passback" rule. Are you talking about passing it back to a goalie and them not being able to pick it up?
As a defender, I would hate removing offsides. Having that invisible line there makes my job easier. It is an added tactic to use and would stop my me from running miles and miles in a game.
That would be like allowing as many forward passes a play as you like or making everyone on the field an eligible receiver.
Chris, I have played my entire life but have never heard of a "passback" rule. Are you talking about passing it back to a goalie and them not being able to pick it up?
OK, how about this: Keep the offside rule....eliminate the goalie. Do something comparable to the 3 second rule in basketball. Create a perimeter in which no defender is allowed in for more than x number of seconds.
FYI....eliminating the offside rule is nothing radical on my part. As noted.....there is no offside rule in Indoor Soccer. So it would not be that radical.
-
Wow, I just thought that was always a rule (introduced the year I was born). I can't imagine the game with out that rule
Wow, I just thought that was always a rule (introduced the year I was born). I can't imagine the game with out that rule
Here is a clue for you: In college basketball,there was no shot clock until 1985. That was also the same year the 3 point shot was instituted.
So, radical changes to a game can be made to make it more entertaining, to speed more action, to encourage more interest.
-
The way I see it is that you have to be suspect of any sport in which the two teams playing for the world championship are France and Italy and the final score is 0 to 0.

WSS
You have to be suspect of any sport where the world championship is played by only teams from one country

You have to be suspect of any sport where the world championship is played by only teams from one country

To my knowledge no sport in this country professes to claim its championship to be a World Championship.
We do have the World Series, but that is more of an ancient moniker that tradition has just held.
Though, I will say this: though they are not called that, the Baseball World Series, The Super Bowl, the NBA Championship, and the Stanley Cup/NHL Finals probably indeed are de facto World Championships....for at least 2 reasons:
A. Almost all the best players in those sports play in those leagues. Not all, but nearly all.
B. The winner of those titles would almost assuredly be the best team in that sport in the world.
Now, there are some good teams in Japan in Baseball, but the US teams would still probably be better. The same for some European League Basketball and like Russian League Hockey. Those teams probably play at a pretty high minor league level.
(note....the MLB put a team in the Dominican Republic...and said that that team must be made up of all the best DR players...it would probably be the best team around)
-
Wow, I just thought that was always a rule (introduced the year I was born). I can't imagine the game with out that rule
Here is a clue for you: In college basketball,there was no shot clock until 1985. That was also the same year the 3 point shot was instituted.
So, radical changes to a game can be made to make it more entertaining, to speed more action, to encourage more interest.
My thinking was that soccer has been around forever and that's a pretty big rule change pretty recentlyHere is a clue for you: In college basketball,there was no shot clock until 1985. That was also the same year the 3 point shot was instituted.
So, radical changes to a game can be made to make it more entertaining, to speed more action, to encourage more interest.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login