Hardesty looking like a better pick everyday
-
I have to agree. The more I see of Hardesty, the more I like. He runs a little too upright. I would like to see him behind his pads a little more. That said, he's tough. Real tough and I like that. He keeps the legs moving and he seems to run with great balance.
I have to agree. The more I see of Hardesty, the more I like. He runs a little too upright. I would like to see him behind his pads a little more. That said, he's tough. Real tough and I like that. He keeps the legs moving and he seems to run with great balance.
After he gets knocked on his ass a couple of times by some all pro linebackers he will learn to make the adjustment.
He is a nice pickup and I am happy with the moves by the Browns in picking him.
-
Cant help but to like this kid but honestly i like all our picks this year..i see some guys that will impact this team when they get their chance and im still hoping some of last years draft will rise to the occasion this year as well, if that happens we are going to turn some heads!

-
Cleveland Browns rookie RB Montario Hardesty still following Jamal Lewis
By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer
April 30, 2010, 7:40PM

John Kuntz / The Plain Dealer
Browns running back Montario Hardesty takes a handoff from QB Colt McCoy
at Browns rookie minicamp Friday in Berea.
CLEVELAND -- Browns running back Montario Hardesty rumbled around rookie camp Friday wearing No. 31, following in the footsteps of Jamal Lewis here just like he did at Tennessee.
"I've known Jamal since I was a freshman in college," said Hardesty, whom the Browns traded up to get in the second round. "He was at some of the scrimmages and he kind of liked how I ran the ball and things like that. So he kind of took me up under his wing and told me some things about how to prepare myself for college and prepare myself for the next level."
Hardesty, who's an inch taller than Lewis at 6-0 and about 20 pounds lighter at 225, said he talked to Lewis throughout his college career and a little bit leading up to the NFL Combine. But he doesn't dare compare himself to the Pro Bowl back and former Volunteer, who rushed for 1,304 yards for the Browns in 2007 and stands 21st on the NFL's all-time list with 10,607 yards.
"I've seen Jamal play before and Jamal is a great running back," said Hardesty. "So, I'd be happy to live up to half the things he did in this league. But I won't compare what I do to him. I'll just try to do what I do on the field and let it come out in how I play."
Browns coach Eric Mangini also stopped short of comparing Hardesty to his mentor, but could've been talking about Lewis when describing Hardesty's style.
"On tape, I like the way he ran in terms of he's a physical runner, a punishing runner," said Mangini. "He enjoyed contact. I thought all of those things were real positive for any team and for this division. I also think he's got some good short area quickness and burst that some big backs don't necessarily have."
He acknowledged that he's not sure how that will translate to the NFL, but "I liked everything I learned about him in terms of his approach, his professionalism, his maturity."
After the Browns traded two fifth-rounders and a third to move up to No. 59 to take Hardesty, Browns General Manager Tom Heckert admitted that the Browns are hoping he can become their featured back, a complement to Jerome Harrison.
"That's what we've envisioned," said Heckert. "We'll see what happens. He's a very physical runner, but he's also not just a straight-ahead banger. He's got speed. He ran a 4.4 at the Combine."
Of course, the big question concerning Hardesty is his health. Three games into his freshman season, he blew out his anterior cruciate ligament and sat out the rest of 2005. In 2006, he underwent arthroscopic knee surgery and was limited to five starts. In 2007, he was hampered by a high ankle sprain, and in 2008, he suffered a stress reaction in his left foot that bothered him on and off. In 2009, he was healthier than ever and responded with 1,345 yards and 13 touchdowns. The yards ranked fourth in Vols history and was 119 short of the school record.
But he also played through a shoulder injury last season and reportedly withdrew from the Senior Bowl because of a cracked rib. The Browns' medical staff gave the team the green light, and the Browns felt he was a risk worth taking.
"I had to fight through some things early on, but I feel like I'm fully healthy now," Hardesty said. "I haven't really been hurt since I was a sophomore. I feel like I can be a team leader. I'm going to do whatever it takes to win."
Hardesty's coaches loved him.
"He's a do-it-all back," former Vols coach Phillip Fulmer told the Knoxville (Tenn.) News-Sentinel. "He can obviously run the football, he can protect, he's a great route-runner, he's fantastic in space, he can get the tough yards for you. I just think the sky is the limit for him."
Added former Vols running backs coach Trooper Taylor: "I had several teams call and ask me about him and about his character and what kind of kid he is, his toughness. I think the knock has been that he's been injured, but what I told them is that they'll be another team that gets a steal."
Hardesty doesn't profess to be the next Lewis, but his goals are lofty nonetheless.
"The Browns traded up to get me and I'm not going to let them down," he said. "I feel I'm an all-around back and I'll put a lot of heart and passion on the field. I want to be a star, and I'm going to work to be a star, definitely."
-
Thanks.....I was going to mention the Tennessee tradition of good running backs. Montario may have lost a bit in so far as his college career with the injury bug, but by all accounts and a solid SEC season behind him, he looks like he can carry that tradition in to the NFL.
To those who really haven't seen him play other than a game here or there or the highlight reels, the kid runs really hard...a lot like Lewis did or to put it in OSU terms, say Eddie George.
The kid is a solid, 1 cut runner. makes his one cut then just barrels forward.
I can see this guy getting the name "clock killer", because he will kill clock and move chains.
I can see the browns having many 7-8 minute drives a game, which is a good start towards winning football.
-
Cleveland Browns rookie RB Montario Hardesty still following Jamal Lewis
By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer
April 30, 2010, 7:40PM

John Kuntz / The Plain Dealer
Browns running back Montario Hardesty takes a handoff from QB Colt McCoy
at Browns rookie minicamp Friday in Berea.
CLEVELAND -- Browns running back Montario Hardesty rumbled around rookie camp Friday wearing No. 31, following in the footsteps of Jamal Lewis here just like he did at Tennessee.
"I've known Jamal since I was a freshman in college," said Hardesty, whom the Browns traded up to get in the second round. "He was at some of the scrimmages and he kind of liked how I ran the ball and things like that. So he kind of took me up under his wing and told me some things about how to prepare myself for college and prepare myself for the next level."
Hardesty, who's an inch taller than Lewis at 6-0 and about 20 pounds lighter at 225, said he talked to Lewis throughout his college career and a little bit leading up to the NFL Combine. But he doesn't dare compare himself to the Pro Bowl back and former Volunteer, who rushed for 1,304 yards for the Browns in 2007 and stands 21st on the NFL's all-time list with 10,607 yards.
"I've seen Jamal play before and Jamal is a great running back," said Hardesty. "So, I'd be happy to live up to half the things he did in this league. But I won't compare what I do to him. I'll just try to do what I do on the field and let it come out in how I play."
Browns coach Eric Mangini also stopped short of comparing Hardesty to his mentor, but could've been talking about Lewis when describing Hardesty's style.
"On tape, I like the way he ran in terms of he's a physical runner, a punishing runner," said Mangini. "He enjoyed contact. I thought all of those things were real positive for any team and for this division. I also think he's got some good short area quickness and burst that some big backs don't necessarily have."
He acknowledged that he's not sure how that will translate to the NFL, but "I liked everything I learned about him in terms of his approach, his professionalism, his maturity."
After the Browns traded two fifth-rounders and a third to move up to No. 59 to take Hardesty, Browns General Manager Tom Heckert admitted that the Browns are hoping he can become their featured back, a complement to Jerome Harrison.
"That's what we've envisioned," said Heckert. "We'll see what happens. He's a very physical runner, but he's also not just a straight-ahead banger. He's got speed. He ran a 4.4 at the Combine."
Of course, the big question concerning Hardesty is his health. Three games into his freshman season, he blew out his anterior cruciate ligament and sat out the rest of 2005. In 2006, he underwent arthroscopic knee surgery and was limited to five starts. In 2007, he was hampered by a high ankle sprain, and in 2008, he suffered a stress reaction in his left foot that bothered him on and off. In 2009, he was healthier than ever and responded with 1,345 yards and 13 touchdowns. The yards ranked fourth in Vols history and was 119 short of the school record.
But he also played through a shoulder injury last season and reportedly withdrew from the Senior Bowl because of a cracked rib. The Browns' medical staff gave the team the green light, and the Browns felt he was a risk worth taking.
"I had to fight through some things early on, but I feel like I'm fully healthy now," Hardesty said. "I haven't really been hurt since I was a sophomore. I feel like I can be a team leader. I'm going to do whatever it takes to win."
Hardesty's coaches loved him.
"He's a do-it-all back," former Vols coach Phillip Fulmer told the Knoxville (Tenn.) News-Sentinel. "He can obviously run the football, he can protect, he's a great route-runner, he's fantastic in space, he can get the tough yards for you. I just think the sky is the limit for him."
Added former Vols running backs coach Trooper Taylor: "I had several teams call and ask me about him and about his character and what kind of kid he is, his toughness. I think the knock has been that he's been injured, but what I told them is that they'll be another team that gets a steal."
Hardesty doesn't profess to be the next Lewis, but his goals are lofty nonetheless.
"The Browns traded up to get me and I'm not going to let them down," he said. "I feel I'm an all-around back and I'll put a lot of heart and passion on the field. I want to be a star, and I'm going to work to be a star, definitely."
Cleveland Browns rookie RB Montario Hardesty still following Jamal Lewis
By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer
April 30, 2010, 7:40PM

John Kuntz / The Plain Dealer
Browns running back Montario Hardesty takes a handoff from QB Colt McCoy
at Browns rookie minicamp Friday in Berea.
CLEVELAND -- Browns running back Montario Hardesty rumbled around rookie camp Friday wearing No. 31, following in the footsteps of Jamal Lewis here just like he did at Tennessee.
"I've known Jamal since I was a freshman in college," said Hardesty, whom the Browns traded up to get in the second round. "He was at some of the scrimmages and he kind of liked how I ran the ball and things like that. So he kind of took me up under his wing and told me some things about how to prepare myself for college and prepare myself for the next level."
Hardesty, who's an inch taller than Lewis at 6-0 and about 20 pounds lighter at 225, said he talked to Lewis throughout his college career and a little bit leading up to the NFL Combine. But he doesn't dare compare himself to the Pro Bowl back and former Volunteer, who rushed for 1,304 yards for the Browns in 2007 and stands 21st on the NFL's all-time list with 10,607 yards.
"I've seen Jamal play before and Jamal is a great running back," said Hardesty. "So, I'd be happy to live up to half the things he did in this league. But I won't compare what I do to him. I'll just try to do what I do on the field and let it come out in how I play."
Browns coach Eric Mangini also stopped short of comparing Hardesty to his mentor, but could've been talking about Lewis when describing Hardesty's style.
"On tape, I like the way he ran in terms of he's a physical runner, a punishing runner," said Mangini. "He enjoyed contact. I thought all of those things were real positive for any team and for this division. I also think he's got some good short area quickness and burst that some big backs don't necessarily have."
He acknowledged that he's not sure how that will translate to the NFL, but "I liked everything I learned about him in terms of his approach, his professionalism, his maturity."
After the Browns traded two fifth-rounders and a third to move up to No. 59 to take Hardesty, Browns General Manager Tom Heckert admitted that the Browns are hoping he can become their featured back, a complement to Jerome Harrison.
"That's what we've envisioned," said Heckert. "We'll see what happens. He's a very physical runner, but he's also not just a straight-ahead banger. He's got speed. He ran a 4.4 at the Combine."
Of course, the big question concerning Hardesty is his health. Three games into his freshman season, he blew out his anterior cruciate ligament and sat out the rest of 2005. In 2006, he underwent arthroscopic knee surgery and was limited to five starts. In 2007, he was hampered by a high ankle sprain, and in 2008, he suffered a stress reaction in his left foot that bothered him on and off. In 2009, he was healthier than ever and responded with 1,345 yards and 13 touchdowns. The yards ranked fourth in Vols history and was 119 short of the school record.
But he also played through a shoulder injury last season and reportedly withdrew from the Senior Bowl because of a cracked rib. The Browns' medical staff gave the team the green light, and the Browns felt he was a risk worth taking.
"I had to fight through some things early on, but I feel like I'm fully healthy now," Hardesty said. "I haven't really been hurt since I was a sophomore. I feel like I can be a team leader. I'm going to do whatever it takes to win."
Hardesty's coaches loved him.
"He's a do-it-all back," former Vols coach Phillip Fulmer told the Knoxville (Tenn.) News-Sentinel. "He can obviously run the football, he can protect, he's a great route-runner, he's fantastic in space, he can get the tough yards for you. I just think the sky is the limit for him."
Added former Vols running backs coach Trooper Taylor: "I had several teams call and ask me about him and about his character and what kind of kid he is, his toughness. I think the knock has been that he's been injured, but what I told them is that they'll be another team that gets a steal."
Hardesty doesn't profess to be the next Lewis, but his goals are lofty nonetheless.
"The Browns traded up to get me and I'm not going to let them down," he said. "I feel I'm an all-around back and I'll put a lot of heart and passion on the field. I want to be a star, and I'm going to work to be a star, definitely."
Outstanding article! Thanks for sharing; let's hope this kid pans out
-
Same number as Lewis.
Same college as Lewis.
Same respect for the game as Lewis.
But . . .
Doesn't tippy-toe at the line of scrimmage like Lewis.
Isn't over the hill like Lewis.
What's not to like?
-
the injury history.

i'm really curious what an entire locker room full of leaders is going to be like.
i believe leaders are born--not made, and this new team dynamic really intrigues me.
-
Initially, i didn't necessarily think we needed to upgrade at RB via the draft, now i'm glad we did. I have a feeling this kid is going to find the endzone on some of those goaline situations. Slowly but surely we are rounding into a team with some weapons.
-
I still think James Davis will be a feature in our backfield, and will out Harrison as the season progresses. I just feel it.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login