Skip to content

Offseason Report

The Browns Board
23 17 2.8k
  • What do I think? I think the guy likes Clausen, has zero idea how to rate safeties, and surely is no fan (2nd string??) of Hardesty. Then he wonders why we didn't take a QB where we took Hardesty, but he thinks we played it well taking McCoy @ 85, who he doesn't like. Ok, color me perplexed, but who should we have taken at Hardesty's spot? McCoy?

    I hate Mockies. They're all batting below 50%, so whatever they write means shit to me.

  • Haden wont start untill year 3...haha stoped reading there

  • Haden wont start untill year 3...haha stoped reading there

    nmills said:

    Haden wont start untill year 3...haha stoped reading there

    lol same here.

    What a joke.

  • Terrible....just a terrible site.

  • Looks to be some Stooler lover, who's greatest accomplishment is barley being able to press the letters on a key board, to form that garbage. I bet his Mom, or Wife (heck, probably one in the same) told him what to type.

  • Wow that was one of the worst offseason previews i have ever seen, its just wrong on so many things that it becomes clear that this guy spent less than 5 minutes looking into these guys before writing it and or he hates the browns or mangini...either way i hope ward ,haden and hardesty and the other rooks get a look at this...funny stuff really...😉

  • this guy is an absolute idiot. he actually has the cowboys getting an a- for their draft. he says that the safety they got is an instant playmaker and makes him sound like the next ed reed. yet, our safety is absolute crap and can't do anything. what a joke.

  • They have very little depth at the [CB] position and Brandon McDonald is better as a nickelback anyway. They need a good corner opposite Eric Wright. If they use the best available strategy again this year, Joe Haden could very well be their pick at 7.
    They really needed to go with someone who can help them right away and Haden, because of their depth at cornerback, will probably not start until year 3.
    they did draft a cornerback in the first with really good upside

    ?????????????????????????????????????? 🙄 lmfao

    here's another zinger:

    I like Mike Holmgren just wanted to guy his quarterback

    and Geathers is the replacement for Corey friggin Williams who never made a play here except like once from the nose. great. got it.

    this douche is a complete moron.

    aside from not sharing the same philosophy of team needs as our, um, team i also highlighted some gorgeous examples of superlative grammar i felt really gave the report a lot of credence.

    Debate the Browns' offseason possibilities in The Football Fan Forum

    Last season: 5-11

    Draft:

    #7 CB Joe Haden (Florida)

    The Browns were an awful team last year, as they were for pretty much the entire last decade. They really needed to go with someone who can help them right away and Haden, because of their depth at cornerback, will probably not start until year 3. They should have tried to trade down here (though I can’t say I know they didn’t try) and if they couldn’t, they needed to take a quarterback like Jimmy Clausen.

    Grade: C+

    #38 S TJ Ward (Oregon)

    Huh? The Browns needed to take a quarterback here and could have taken Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd round, but instead they decided to take a 5th round prospect at safety. Yea, safety was a need, but Ward is a huge reach by a count of 3 rounds, and doesn’t have a lot of positional value for a team that needs to get better in a hurry. By taking a cornerback who won’t start until year 3 and taking a safety that has no business ever starting in the NFL, the Browns have somehow managed to not make themselves any better at all with their first 2 picks, at least not immediately.

    Grade: F

    #59 RB Montario Hardesty (Tennessee)

    I don’t love Colt McCoy, but the Browns need a quarterback so I don’t see why they didn’t take one here. I mean, they had to have traded up for a reason, but apparently that reason was to take a 2nd string running back, which wasn’t a huge need at all. They would have been fine with Jerome Harrison and James Davis at running back next year. I don’t see how this pick makes them much better next year either.

    Grade: C-

    #85 QB Colt McCoy (Texas)

    I have to hand it to Mike Holmgren. I guess Colt McCoy was his guy all along and he was able to have the guts to wait on him, knowing he’d probably fall. However, that could have ended up looking pretty stupid. Still, I don’t mind the pick. I don’t love McCoy and I had higher rated quarterbacks available, but at least it’s the right position.

    Grade: A-

    #92 G Shawn Lauvao (Arizona State)

    The Browns reached for a 5th round prospect in the 3rd at a position of little value? Really? That doesn’t sound like them. I like Mike Holmgren just wanted to guy his quarterback out of this draft and let Eric Mangini do the rest of the drafting. So many of these picks look like classic Eric Mangini picks. Either that or Mike Holmgren is less smart than I give him credit for.

    Grade: D

    #160 S Larry Asante (Nebraska)

    At least he fits the draft range, but the Browns have so many more important needs that they can’t really drafted another safety. Plus, I don’t like Asante. I don’t think he’s a starting caliber player in the NFL. What’s with all of these bad teams not paying attention to positional value. Who is going to catch Colt McCoy/Jake Delhomme’s passes, what about their defensive line, rush linebacker?

    Grade: B-

    #177 WR Carlton Mitchell (South Florida)

    He fits the draft range, has great upside, and fills a need, so this is probably one of their best picks, but they did have better options, though I can’t bash this pick too much.

    Grade: B+

    #186 3-4 DE Clifton Geathers (South Carolina)

    Finally, some good positional value. Geathers is a perfect fit with huge upside at the 3-4 end position for the Browns and can serve as their replacement for Corey Williams.

    Grade: A

    Overall:

    The Browns could have done worse, but not much. I don’t think they made themselves any better for next year at all, and because of that, I think they actually made themselves worse for next year. However, even with all of their reaches and picks that lacked positional value, they did draft a cornerback in the first with really good upside and a potential franchise quarterback in the 3rd, though I don’t like McCoy’s chances, even with a year on the bench, as Holmgren has said he will give him.

    Grade: C

    Key undrafted free agents:

    RLB Auston English (Oklahoma)

    Rush Linebacker:

    The Browns actually managed 40 sacks as a team, but no one had more than 6.5 so they still have that need for an elite pass rusher. They could target Derrick Morgan at 7 if they feel he would fit their 3-4 scheme, which I feel he wouldn’t. Otherwise, they’ll have to wait until the 2nd round or later to get an elite rush linebacker which would be smart because of the alarming rate at which rush linebackers have been busting in recent years.

    Traded for Chris Gocong

    Wide Receiver:

    The Browns drafted 2 wide receivers in the 2nd round last year, but there’s a good chance that one doesn’t pan out and even if both do, I don’t see either as that elite deep threat of a wide receiver. Their first pick could very well be an elite #1 wide receiver to replace Braylon Edwards, preferably one who tries. They need to get Brady Quinn help ASAP.

    Drafted Carlton Mitchell (#177)

    Middle Linebacker:

    A real 3-4 middle linebacker upgrade next to D’Qwell Jackson is needed. David Veikune doesn’t fit the scheme at all and was a major reach in the 2nd round last year.

    Signed Scott Fujita

    Quarterback:

    353 throws doesn’t make a career, but Brady Quinn’s career is on thin ice. They should give him one more year to prove himself, but if he struggles early, they will want someone in the bullpen warming up because for the sake of the public defense of Cleveland we don’t want Derek Anderson playing quarterback again. Unsuspecting innocent citizens will be belted will footballs while walking the streets on Sundays. Both Mike Holmgren and Eric Mangini will want a chance to bring in their own guy at quarterback so I would be very surprised if they didn’t take one before round 4.

    Traded for Seneca Wallace, Signed Jake Delhomme, Drafted Colt McCoy (#85)

    Cornerback:

    They have very little depth at the position and Brandon McDonald is better as a nickelback anyway. They need a good corner opposite Eric Wright. If they use the best available strategy again this year, Joe Haden could very well be their pick at 7. If they don’t take Haden, expect them to look at a cornerback later for depth purposes only. They have other needs.

    Drafted Joe Haden (#7), Traded for Sheldon Brown

    Offensive Tackle:

    Joe Thomas is a stud left tackle, probably the best in the league, but John St. Clair was one of the worst starting right tackles in the league last year. Makes you wonder why they gave him a three year deal after how bad he was with the Bears. Right tackle doesn’t have a ton of positional value, which of course means Eric Mangini could spend an early pick on it, and this isn’t a huge need considering how well their line played as a whole thanks to Joe Thomas, but they could have one of the top 5 offensive lines in the league with an upgrade at right tackle.

    Signed Tony Pashos

    Tight End:

    The Browns started several different tight ends last year and it got so bad that they had to promote Evan Moore from the practice squad to start late in the season and he did a better job than anyone else. However, tight end doesn’t have a huge positional value so it can wait another season if he has to, but picking up a 1-2 year stopgap in free agency might be nice.

    Signed Benjamin Watson

    Free agents:

    QB Derek Anderson- signed with Cardinals 2 years 7.5 million

    QB Brett Ratliff (exclusive rights)

    RB Jerome Harrison (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

    RB Jamal Lewis

    FB Lawrence Vickers (restricted)

    WR Donte Stallworth- signed with Ravens 1 yr .9 mil

    WR Mike Furrey

    WR Sydndric “I could not make this name up if I tried” Steptoe (restricted)

    OT Ryan Tucker

    G Rex Hadnot- signed with Cardinals 3 years 9 million

    C Hank Fraley- signed with Rams

    RLB Matt Roth (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

    RLB Arnold Harrison (restricted)

    MLB Jason Trusnik (restricted)- signed 1 year 1.6 million

    MLB D'Qwell Jackson (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

    MLB Blake Costanzo (exclusive rights)- resigned 1 year

    S Brodney Pool (restricted)- not tendered, signed with Jets 1 year 1.3 million

    S Abram Elam (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

    Offseason moves:

    Browns sign C Eric Ghiaciuc

    Browns acquire CB Sheldon Brown, RLB Chris Gocong from Eagles for DE Alex Hall, 2010 4th, 5th rounders

    Browns re-sign MLB Blake Costanzo

    Browns trade QB Brady Quinn to Broncos for FB Peyton Hillis, 2011 6th-rounder and 2012 late-rounder

    Browns trade DE Kamerion Wimbley to Raiders for 2010 3rd-rounder

    Browns sign QB Jake Delhomme

    Browns re-sign MLB Jason Trusnik

    Browns cut TE Steve Heiden

    Browns sign TE Ben Watson

    Browns cut QB Derek Anderson

    Browns acquire QB Seneca Wallace from Seahawks for conditional 2011 pick

    Browns sign MLB Scott Fujita

    Browns sign OT Tony Pashos

    Browns announce retirement of OT Ryan Tucker

    Browns trade DT Corey Williams and 2010 7th-rounder to Lions for 2010 5th-rounder

    Browns tender MLB D'Qwell Jackson

    Browns tender RB Jerome Harrison

    Browns tender MLB Blake Costanzo

    Browns tender MLB Jason Trusnik

    Browns tender FB Lawrence Vickers

    Browns tender S Abram Elam

    Browns tender RLB Matt Roth

    Browns cut C Hank Fraley

    Browns cut RB Jamal Lewis

    Browns cut WR Donte' Stallworth

  • They have very little depth at the [CB] position and Brandon McDonald is better as a nickelback anyway. They need a good corner opposite Eric Wright. If they use the best available strategy again this year, Joe Haden could very well be their pick at 7.
    They really needed to go with someone who can help them right away and Haden, because of their depth at cornerback, will probably not start until year 3.
    they did draft a cornerback in the first with really good upside

    ?????????????????????????????????????? 🙄 lmfao

    here's another zinger:

    I like Mike Holmgren just wanted to guy his quarterback

    and Geathers is the replacement for Corey friggin Williams who never made a play here except like once from the nose. great. got it.

    this douche is a complete moron.

    aside from not sharing the same philosophy of team needs as our, um, team i also highlighted some gorgeous examples of superlative grammar i felt really gave the report a lot of credence.

    Debate the Browns' offseason possibilities in The Football Fan Forum

    Last season: 5-11

    Draft:

    #7 CB Joe Haden (Florida)

    The Browns were an awful team last year, as they were for pretty much the entire last decade. They really needed to go with someone who can help them right away and Haden, because of their depth at cornerback, will probably not start until year 3. They should have tried to trade down here (though I can’t say I know they didn’t try) and if they couldn’t, they needed to take a quarterback like Jimmy Clausen.

    Grade: C+

    #38 S TJ Ward (Oregon)

    Huh? The Browns needed to take a quarterback here and could have taken Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd round, but instead they decided to take a 5th round prospect at safety. Yea, safety was a need, but Ward is a huge reach by a count of 3 rounds, and doesn’t have a lot of positional value for a team that needs to get better in a hurry. By taking a cornerback who won’t start until year 3 and taking a safety that has no business ever starting in the NFL, the Browns have somehow managed to not make themselves any better at all with their first 2 picks, at least not immediately.

    Grade: F

    #59 RB Montario Hardesty (Tennessee)

    I don’t love Colt McCoy, but the Browns need a quarterback so I don’t see why they didn’t take one here. I mean, they had to have traded up for a reason, but apparently that reason was to take a 2nd string running back, which wasn’t a huge need at all. They would have been fine with Jerome Harrison and James Davis at running back next year. I don’t see how this pick makes them much better next year either.

    Grade: C-

    #85 QB Colt McCoy (Texas)

    I have to hand it to Mike Holmgren. I guess Colt McCoy was his guy all along and he was able to have the guts to wait on him, knowing he’d probably fall. However, that could have ended up looking pretty stupid. Still, I don’t mind the pick. I don’t love McCoy and I had higher rated quarterbacks available, but at least it’s the right position.

    Grade: A-

    #92 G Shawn Lauvao (Arizona State)

    The Browns reached for a 5th round prospect in the 3rd at a position of little value? Really? That doesn’t sound like them. I like Mike Holmgren just wanted to guy his quarterback out of this draft and let Eric Mangini do the rest of the drafting. So many of these picks look like classic Eric Mangini picks. Either that or Mike Holmgren is less smart than I give him credit for.

    Grade: D

    #160 S Larry Asante (Nebraska)

    At least he fits the draft range, but the Browns have so many more important needs that they can’t really drafted another safety. Plus, I don’t like Asante. I don’t think he’s a starting caliber player in the NFL. What’s with all of these bad teams not paying attention to positional value. Who is going to catch Colt McCoy/Jake Delhomme’s passes, what about their defensive line, rush linebacker?

    Grade: B-

    #177 WR Carlton Mitchell (South Florida)

    He fits the draft range, has great upside, and fills a need, so this is probably one of their best picks, but they did have better options, though I can’t bash this pick too much.

    Grade: B+

    #186 3-4 DE Clifton Geathers (South Carolina)

    Finally, some good positional value. Geathers is a perfect fit with huge upside at the 3-4 end position for the Browns and can serve as their replacement for Corey Williams.

    Grade: A

    Overall:

    The Browns could have done worse, but not much. I don’t think they made themselves any better for next year at all, and because of that, I think they actually made themselves worse for next year. However, even with all of their reaches and picks that lacked positional value, they did draft a cornerback in the first with really good upside and a potential franchise quarterback in the 3rd, though I don’t like McCoy’s chances, even with a year on the bench, as Holmgren has said he will give him.

    Grade: C

    Key undrafted free agents:

    RLB Auston English (Oklahoma)

    Rush Linebacker:

    The Browns actually managed 40 sacks as a team, but no one had more than 6.5 so they still have that need for an elite pass rusher. They could target Derrick Morgan at 7 if they feel he would fit their 3-4 scheme, which I feel he wouldn’t. Otherwise, they’ll have to wait until the 2nd round or later to get an elite rush linebacker which would be smart because of the alarming rate at which rush linebackers have been busting in recent years.

    Traded for Chris Gocong

    Wide Receiver:

    The Browns drafted 2 wide receivers in the 2nd round last year, but there’s a good chance that one doesn’t pan out and even if both do, I don’t see either as that elite deep threat of a wide receiver. Their first pick could very well be an elite #1 wide receiver to replace Braylon Edwards, preferably one who tries. They need to get Brady Quinn help ASAP.

    Drafted Carlton Mitchell (#177)

    Middle Linebacker:

    A real 3-4 middle linebacker upgrade next to D’Qwell Jackson is needed. David Veikune doesn’t fit the scheme at all and was a major reach in the 2nd round last year.

    Signed Scott Fujita

    Quarterback:

    353 throws doesn’t make a career, but Brady Quinn’s career is on thin ice. They should give him one more year to prove himself, but if he struggles early, they will want someone in the bullpen warming up because for the sake of the public defense of Cleveland we don’t want Derek Anderson playing quarterback again. Unsuspecting innocent citizens will be belted will footballs while walking the streets on Sundays. Both Mike Holmgren and Eric Mangini will want a chance to bring in their own guy at quarterback so I would be very surprised if they didn’t take one before round 4.

    Traded for Seneca Wallace, Signed Jake Delhomme, Drafted Colt McCoy (#85)

    Cornerback:

    They have very little depth at the position and Brandon McDonald is better as a nickelback anyway. They need a good corner opposite Eric Wright. If they use the best available strategy again this year, Joe Haden could very well be their pick at 7. If they don’t take Haden, expect them to look at a cornerback later for depth purposes only. They have other needs.

    Drafted Joe Haden (#7), Traded for Sheldon Brown

    Offensive Tackle:

    Joe Thomas is a stud left tackle, probably the best in the league, but John St. Clair was one of the worst starting right tackles in the league last year. Makes you wonder why they gave him a three year deal after how bad he was with the Bears. Right tackle doesn’t have a ton of positional value, which of course means Eric Mangini could spend an early pick on it, and this isn’t a huge need considering how well their line played as a whole thanks to Joe Thomas, but they could have one of the top 5 offensive lines in the league with an upgrade at right tackle.

    Signed Tony Pashos

    Tight End:

    The Browns started several different tight ends last year and it got so bad that they had to promote Evan Moore from the practice squad to start late in the season and he did a better job than anyone else. However, tight end doesn’t have a huge positional value so it can wait another season if he has to, but picking up a 1-2 year stopgap in free agency might be nice.

    Signed Benjamin Watson

    Free agents:

    QB Derek Anderson- signed with Cardinals 2 years 7.5 million

    QB Brett Ratliff (exclusive rights)

    RB Jerome Harrison (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

    RB Jamal Lewis

    FB Lawrence Vickers (restricted)

    WR Donte Stallworth- signed with Ravens 1 yr .9 mil

    WR Mike Furrey

    WR Sydndric “I could not make this name up if I tried” Steptoe (restricted)

    OT Ryan Tucker

    G Rex Hadnot- signed with Cardinals 3 years 9 million

    C Hank Fraley- signed with Rams

    RLB Matt Roth (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

    RLB Arnold Harrison (restricted)

    MLB Jason Trusnik (restricted)- signed 1 year 1.6 million

    MLB D'Qwell Jackson (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

    MLB Blake Costanzo (exclusive rights)- resigned 1 year

    S Brodney Pool (restricted)- not tendered, signed with Jets 1 year 1.3 million

    S Abram Elam (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

    Offseason moves:

    Browns sign C Eric Ghiaciuc

    Browns acquire CB Sheldon Brown, RLB Chris Gocong from Eagles for DE Alex Hall, 2010 4th, 5th rounders

    Browns re-sign MLB Blake Costanzo

    Browns trade QB Brady Quinn to Broncos for FB Peyton Hillis, 2011 6th-rounder and 2012 late-rounder

    Browns trade DE Kamerion Wimbley to Raiders for 2010 3rd-rounder

    Browns sign QB Jake Delhomme

    Browns re-sign MLB Jason Trusnik

    Browns cut TE Steve Heiden

    Browns sign TE Ben Watson

    Browns cut QB Derek Anderson

    Browns acquire QB Seneca Wallace from Seahawks for conditional 2011 pick

    Browns sign MLB Scott Fujita

    Browns sign OT Tony Pashos

    Browns announce retirement of OT Ryan Tucker

    Browns trade DT Corey Williams and 2010 7th-rounder to Lions for 2010 5th-rounder

    Browns tender MLB D'Qwell Jackson

    Browns tender RB Jerome Harrison

    Browns tender MLB Blake Costanzo

    Browns tender MLB Jason Trusnik

    Browns tender FB Lawrence Vickers

    Browns tender S Abram Elam

    Browns tender RLB Matt Roth

    Browns cut C Hank Fraley

    Browns cut RB Jamal Lewis

    Browns cut WR Donte' Stallworth

    @sisky-fringo said:

    Debate the Browns' offseason possibilities in The Football Fan Forum

    Last season: 5-11

    Draft:

    #7 CB Joe Haden (Florida)

    The Browns were an awful team last year, as they were for pretty much the entire last decade. They really needed to go with someone who can help them right away and Haden, because of their depth at cornerback, will probably not start until year 3. They should have tried to trade down here (though I can’t say I know they didn’t try) and if they couldn’t, they needed to take a quarterback like Jimmy Clausen.

    Grade: C+

    #38 S TJ Ward (Oregon)

    Huh? The Browns needed to take a quarterback here and could have taken Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd round, but instead they decided to take a 5th round prospect at safety. Yea, safety was a need, but Ward is a huge reach by a count of 3 rounds, and doesn’t have a lot of positional value for a team that needs to get better in a hurry. By taking a cornerback who won’t start until year 3 and taking a safety that has no business ever starting in the NFL, the Browns have somehow managed to not make themselves any better at all with their first 2 picks, at least not immediately.

    Grade: F

    #59 RB Montario Hardesty (Tennessee)

    I don’t love Colt McCoy, but the Browns need a quarterback so I don’t see why they didn’t take one here. I mean, they had to have traded up for a reason, but apparently that reason was to take a 2nd string running back, which wasn’t a huge need at all. They would have been fine with Jerome Harrison and James Davis at running back next year. I don’t see how this pick makes them much better next year either.

    Grade: C-

    #85 QB Colt McCoy (Texas)

    I have to hand it to Mike Holmgren. I guess Colt McCoy was his guy all along and he was able to have the guts to wait on him, knowing he’d probably fall. However, that could have ended up looking pretty stupid. Still, I don’t mind the pick. I don’t love McCoy and I had higher rated quarterbacks available, but at least it’s the right position.

    Grade: A-

    #92 G Shawn Lauvao (Arizona State)

    The Browns reached for a 5th round prospect in the 3rd at a position of little value? Really? That doesn’t sound like them. I like Mike Holmgren just wanted to guy his quarterback out of this draft and let Eric Mangini do the rest of the drafting. So many of these picks look like classic Eric Mangini picks. Either that or Mike Holmgren is less smart than I give him credit for.

    Grade: D

    #160 S Larry Asante (Nebraska)

    At least he fits the draft range, but the Browns have so many more important needs that they can’t really drafted another safety. Plus, I don’t like Asante. I don’t think he’s a starting caliber player in the NFL. What’s with all of these bad teams not paying attention to positional value. Who is going to catch Colt McCoy/Jake Delhomme’s passes, what about their defensive line, rush linebacker?

    Grade: B-

    #177 WR Carlton Mitchell (South Florida)

    He fits the draft range, has great upside, and fills a need, so this is probably one of their best picks, but they did have better options, though I can’t bash this pick too much.

    Grade: B+

    #186 3-4 DE Clifton Geathers (South Carolina)

    Finally, some good positional value. Geathers is a perfect fit with huge upside at the 3-4 end position for the Browns and can serve as their replacement for Corey Williams.

    Grade: A

    Overall:

    The Browns could have done worse, but not much. I don’t think they made themselves any better for next year at all, and because of that, I think they actually made themselves worse for next year. However, even with all of their reaches and picks that lacked positional value, they did draft a cornerback in the first with really good upside and a potential franchise quarterback in the 3rd, though I don’t like McCoy’s chances, even with a year on the bench, as Holmgren has said he will give him.

    Grade: C

    Key undrafted free agents:

    RLB Auston English (Oklahoma)

    Rush Linebacker:

    The Browns actually managed 40 sacks as a team, but no one had more than 6.5 so they still have that need for an elite pass rusher. They could target Derrick Morgan at 7 if they feel he would fit their 3-4 scheme, which I feel he wouldn’t. Otherwise, they’ll have to wait until the 2nd round or later to get an elite rush linebacker which would be smart because of the alarming rate at which rush linebackers have been busting in recent years.

    Traded for Chris Gocong

    Wide Receiver:

    The Browns drafted 2 wide receivers in the 2nd round last year, but there’s a good chance that one doesn’t pan out and even if both do, I don’t see either as that elite deep threat of a wide receiver. Their first pick could very well be an elite #1 wide receiver to replace Braylon Edwards, preferably one who tries. They need to get Brady Quinn help ASAP.

    Drafted Carlton Mitchell (#177)

    Middle Linebacker:

    A real 3-4 middle linebacker upgrade next to D’Qwell Jackson is needed. David Veikune doesn’t fit the scheme at all and was a major reach in the 2nd round last year.

    Signed Scott Fujita

    Quarterback:

    353 throws doesn’t make a career, but Brady Quinn’s career is on thin ice. They should give him one more year to prove himself, but if he struggles early, they will want someone in the bullpen warming up because for the sake of the public defense of Cleveland we don’t want Derek Anderson playing quarterback again. Unsuspecting innocent citizens will be belted will footballs while walking the streets on Sundays. Both Mike Holmgren and Eric Mangini will want a chance to bring in their own guy at quarterback so I would be very surprised if they didn’t take one before round 4.

    Traded for Seneca Wallace, Signed Jake Delhomme, Drafted Colt McCoy (#85)

    Cornerback:

    They have very little depth at the position and Brandon McDonald is better as a nickelback anyway. They need a good corner opposite Eric Wright. If they use the best available strategy again this year, Joe Haden could very well be their pick at 7. If they don’t take Haden, expect them to look at a cornerback later for depth purposes only. They have other needs.

    Drafted Joe Haden (#7), Traded for Sheldon Brown

    Offensive Tackle:

    Joe Thomas is a stud left tackle, probably the best in the league, but John St. Clair was one of the worst starting right tackles in the league last year. Makes you wonder why they gave him a three year deal after how bad he was with the Bears. Right tackle doesn’t have a ton of positional value, which of course means Eric Mangini could spend an early pick on it, and this isn’t a huge need considering how well their line played as a whole thanks to Joe Thomas, but they could have one of the top 5 offensive lines in the league with an upgrade at right tackle.

    Signed Tony Pashos

    Tight End:

    The Browns started several different tight ends last year and it got so bad that they had to promote Evan Moore from the practice squad to start late in the season and he did a better job than anyone else. However, tight end doesn’t have a huge positional value so it can wait another season if he has to, but picking up a 1-2 year stopgap in free agency might be nice.

    Signed Benjamin Watson

    Free agents:

    QB Derek Anderson- signed with Cardinals 2 years 7.5 million

    QB Brett Ratliff (exclusive rights)

    RB Jerome Harrison (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

    RB Jamal Lewis

    FB Lawrence Vickers (restricted)

    WR Donte Stallworth- signed with Ravens 1 yr .9 mil

    WR Mike Furrey

    WR Sydndric “I could not make this name up if I tried” Steptoe (restricted)

    OT Ryan Tucker

    G Rex Hadnot- signed with Cardinals 3 years 9 million

    C Hank Fraley- signed with Rams

    RLB Matt Roth (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

    RLB Arnold Harrison (restricted)

    MLB Jason Trusnik (restricted)- signed 1 year 1.6 million

    MLB D'Qwell Jackson (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

    MLB Blake Costanzo (exclusive rights)- resigned 1 year

    S Brodney Pool (restricted)- not tendered, signed with Jets 1 year 1.3 million

    S Abram Elam (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

    Offseason moves:

    Browns sign C Eric Ghiaciuc

    Browns acquire CB Sheldon Brown, RLB Chris Gocong from Eagles for DE Alex Hall, 2010 4th, 5th rounders

    Browns re-sign MLB Blake Costanzo

    Browns trade QB Brady Quinn to Broncos for FB Peyton Hillis, 2011 6th-rounder and 2012 late-rounder

    Browns trade DE Kamerion Wimbley to Raiders for 2010 3rd-rounder

    Browns sign QB Jake Delhomme

    Browns re-sign MLB Jason Trusnik

    Browns cut TE Steve Heiden

    Browns sign TE Ben Watson

    Browns cut QB Derek Anderson

    Browns acquire QB Seneca Wallace from Seahawks for conditional 2011 pick

    Browns sign MLB Scott Fujita

    Browns sign OT Tony Pashos

    Browns announce retirement of OT Ryan Tucker

    Browns trade DT Corey Williams and 2010 7th-rounder to Lions for 2010 5th-rounder

    Browns tender MLB D'Qwell Jackson

    Browns tender RB Jerome Harrison

    Browns tender MLB Blake Costanzo

    Browns tender MLB Jason Trusnik

    Browns tender FB Lawrence Vickers

    Browns tender S Abram Elam

    Browns tender RLB Matt Roth

    Browns cut C Hank Fraley

    Browns cut RB Jamal Lewis

    Browns cut WR Donte' Stallworth

    all you peeps who quote entire pages of someone you are posting right after them just to reply with one line, this is for you!

    😁😳 **insert malicious smiley** 😵😁

  • Yea, I bet this guy probably gave A+ grades to some of our earlier drafts that ended up being a complete waste.

  • The thing that's irritating to me, is these guys who think we should have drafted Clausen because they thought he was better than McCoy. If Holmgren, Heckert, and Mangini did not want Clausen, then why in the world would they have drafted him at any point?

    Secondly, I just read an article that said that the Browns had Ward rated higher than Earl Thomas.

  • The thing that's irritating to me, is these guys who think we should have drafted Clausen because they thought he was better than McCoy. If Holmgren, Heckert, and Mangini did not want Clausen, then why in the world would they have drafted him at any point?

    Secondly, I just read an article that said that the Browns had Ward rated higher than Earl Thomas.

    @thaak said:

    The thing that's irritating to me, is these guys who think we should have drafted Clausen because they thought he was better than McCoy. If Holmgren, Heckert, and Mangini did not want Clausen, then why in the world would they have drafted him at any point?

    i firmly believe they drafted a player at 85 and QB was not a position of dire need.

    Secondly, I just read an article that said that the Browns had Ward rated higher than Earl Thomas.

    if so they're even happier than we are. i can't wait to see these last two drafts a few years from now.

  • The thing that's irritating to me, is these guys who think we should have drafted Clausen because they thought he was better than McCoy. If Holmgren, Heckert, and Mangini did not want Clausen, then why in the world would they have drafted him at any point?

    Secondly, I just read an article that said that the Browns had Ward rated higher than Earl Thomas.

    @thaak said:

    Secondly, I just read an article that said that the Browns had Ward rated higher than Earl Thomas.

    were'd you read it? I'd like to read that

  • whoever wrote that is a very cynical moron. I always find these draft grades the day/week after the draft comical to look at 3 years down the road to see how completely wrong 90% of them are, especially the ones that blatantly bash every perceived reach or heap praise on all the steals that turn out to really suck (Leinart, Matt).

  • @thaak said:

    Secondly, I just read an article that said that the Browns had Ward rated higher than Earl Thomas.

    were'd you read it? I'd like to read that

    nmills said:

    were'd you read it? I'd like to read that

    I think one of the PFT daily one-liners said it.

    EDIT: Yup, here is the link... http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index....out_the_16.html

  • They have very little depth at the [CB] position and Brandon McDonald is better as a nickelback anyway. They need a good corner opposite Eric Wright. If they use the best available strategy again this year, Joe Haden could very well be their pick at 7.

    They really needed to go with someone who can help them right away and Haden, because of their depth at cornerback, will probably not start until year 3.

    they did draft a cornerback in the first with really good upside

    They also traded for Sheldon Brown who has at least 2 years left of starting at CB. That's why I don't think Haden sees much of the field until year 3.

  • I think we'll see a LOT of Joe Haden on the field this year. The dramatic change we may see is at safety. Don't be surprised to see Mr Brown as a safety. The other?...Who knows, but if Ward stays healthy, he could be very interesting.

    Mike

  • Haden wont start untill year 3...haha stoped reading there

    nmills said:

    Haden wont start untill year 3...haha stoped reading there

    Maybe it was a typo and should have said game 3??

  • They have very little depth at the [CB] position and Brandon McDonald is better as a nickelback anyway. They need a good corner opposite Eric Wright. If they use the best available strategy again this year, Joe Haden could very well be their pick at 7.

    They really needed to go with someone who can help them right away and Haden, because of their depth at cornerback, will probably not start until year 3.

    they did draft a cornerback in the first with really good upside

    They also traded for Sheldon Brown who has at least 2 years left of starting at CB. That's why I don't think Haden sees much of the field until year 3.

    @steven-lourie said:

    They have very little depth at the [CB] position and Brandon McDonald is better as a nickelback anyway. They need a good corner opposite Eric Wright. If they use the best available strategy again this year, Joe Haden could very well be their pick at 7.

    QUOTE

    They really needed to go with someone who can help them right away and Haden, because of their depth at cornerback, will probably not start until year 3.

    QUOTE

    they did draft a cornerback in the first with really good upside

    They also traded for Sheldon Brown who has at least 2 years left of starting at CB. That's why I don't think Haden sees much of the field until year 3.

    I don't have a problem with your logic steven, but, I think what you're not acknowledging is that the NFL in 2010 is a trips or Y-flex league and you need three corners. One way or another, Haden is on the field a LOT this year. Just my opinion.

  • Well whoever made that website obviously hates the browns. The writer contradicts himself. If you look at pre-draft rankings he says this about Hardesty:

    "One of my favorite running back sleepers, a good size, speed combination, and very good hands, both in pass catching and pass blocking. He has everything he needs to be a factor right away and a 3rd down back at the very least. I see him having the upside as a future starting running back."

    Then when you look at what he has to say when the browns selected him in the third round:

    " I mean, they had to have traded up for a reason, but apparently that reason was to take a 2nd string running back, which wasn’t a huge need at all. They would have been fine with Jerome Harrison and James Davis at running back next year. I don’t see how this pick makes them much better next year either."

    And then there are sentences such as these that make absolutely no sense:

    "I like Mike Holmgren just wanted to guy his quarterback out of this draft and let Eric Mangini do the rest of the drafting."

    WTF??! Plus his "post draft power rankings" list the browns dead last (7 spots behind the rams). He is clueless to say the least..