Hall of Fame Trivia
-
Here are some trivia questions. All sports, all football, all with specific answers, no estimating, averaging, required:
1. Thirteen states have NO members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame born there. Name as many of the thirteen as you can. There are, in my opinion, a couple of surprises.
2. Two Hall of Famers were born in Central America (but grew up in the US). Who were they and what countries were they born in?
3. One Hall of Fame player was born in Germany, has the same birthday as Adolph Hitler, and played for the Steelers...who was this evil personage. (note, he left Germany at age 3, so he didn't grow up a Nazi).
3A. In fact, there is only one Hall of Famer who did not grow up in either the US or Canada. Who is that player?
4. Who was the lowest ever draft pick to ever make the Hall of Fame?
5. What do Hall of Famers John Randle, Warren Moon, Larry Little, Jim Langer, Emmit Thomas, Willie Wood, Willie Brown, Dick Night Train Lane, Joe Perry, Bill Willis, Marion Motley, Lou Groza, and Frank Gatski have in common?
6. What do Hall of Famers Paul Hornung, Chuck Bednarik, Bill Dudley, Charlie Trippi, Buck Buchanan, Ron Yary, OJ Simpson, Terry Bradshaw, LeeRoy Selmon, Earl Campbell, John Elway, Bruce Smith and Troy Aikman have in common?
7. Not including Senior Candidates and players whose careers ended prior to 1963 when the HOF opened, which Hall of Famer waited the longest after being eligible to be inducted?
8. What jersey number was worn by the most Hall of Famers?
9. In which year were the most Hall of Famers drafted?
10. Name the Hall of Famers who were also Heisman Trophy winners.
11. Cuyahoga County: Cleve. East Tech, Glenville, Cleveland Heights, Cleve. West Tech, Benedictine.
Summit County: Akron Kenmore, Stow, Hudson,
Stark County: Massillon, Alliance, GlenOak, Canton McKinley, Canton Central Catholic
Portage/Trumbull/Mahoning/Lake Counties: Crestwood, Warren G. Harding, Painesville Harvey
Rest of Ohio: Martin's Ferry, Mansfield, Toronto, Ironton, Toledo Scott, Columbus East, Cincinnati Purcell.
What do these lists represent?
-
Here's one: 15 number 1 overall draft picks have won the Superbowl. Name them.
-
Here's one: 15 number 1 overall draft picks have won the Superbowl. Name them.
Here's one: 15 number 1 overall draft picks have won the Superbowl. Name them.
Answer all of mine first, then I'll try yours out.
-
Zombo does well. His score is: 6 right on Q#1, 5 right on Q#10 (and yea, there are more), and 5 other correct answers.
-
Here's one: 15 number 1 overall draft picks have won the Superbowl. Name them.
Here's one: 15 number 1 overall draft picks have won the Superbowl. Name them.
I will venture a guess off the top of my head: Bradshaw, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Aikman, Elway, Plunkett, Buck Buchanan(AFL #1), Russell Maryland, Too Tall Jones, Keyshawn Johnson, John Matuszak, Orlando Pace.
(Hornung I am not sure of...he may have "retired" by the time the AFL/NFL championship games began).
Jonathan Ogden...I am not sure he was #1.
Does USFL count?: Reggie White.
That's all I can get at this point.
-
Here's one: 15 number 1 overall draft picks have won the Superbowl. Name them.
I will venture a guess off the top of my head: Bradshaw, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Aikman, Elway, Plunkett, Buck Buchanan(AFL #1), Russell Maryland, Too Tall Jones, Keyshawn Johnson, John Matuszak, Orlando Pace.
(Hornung I am not sure of...he may have "retired" by the time the AFL/NFL championship games began).
Jonathan Ogden...I am not sure he was #1.
Does USFL count?: Reggie White.
That's all I can get at this point.
I will venture a guess off the top of my head: Bradshaw, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Aikman, Elway, Plunkett, Buck Buchanan(AFL #1), Russell Maryland, Too Tall Jones, Keyshawn Johnson, John Matuszak, Orlando Pace.
(Hornung I am not sure of...he may have "retired" by the time the AFL/NFL championship games began).
Jonathan Ogden...I am not sure he was #1.
Does USFL count?: Reggie White.
That's all I can get at this point
.You got 10 right. White and Buchunan don't count.
-
I will venture a guess off the top of my head: Bradshaw, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Aikman, Elway, Plunkett, Buck Buchanan(AFL #1), Russell Maryland, Too Tall Jones, Keyshawn Johnson, John Matuszak, Orlando Pace.
(Hornung I am not sure of...he may have "retired" by the time the AFL/NFL championship games began).
Jonathan Ogden...I am not sure he was #1.
Does USFL count?: Reggie White.
That's all I can get at this point
.You got 10 right. White and Buchunan don't count.
You got 10 right. White and Buchunan don't count.
I think I got 11 even without White and Buchanan...or Ogden...unless Matuszak was not on a SB winner...though I thought he was on the Raider 1976 and 1980 Titleists.
(Or am I confusing him with Walt Patulski? All those Pollacks look alike to me)
-
You got 10 right. White and Buchunan don't count.
I think I got 11 even without White and Buchanan...or Ogden...unless Matuszak was not on a SB winner...though I thought he was on the Raider 1976 and 1980 Titleists.
(Or am I confusing him with Walt Patulski? All those Pollacks look alike to me)
I think I got 11 even without White and Buchanan...or Ogden...unless Matuszak was not on a SB winner...though I thought he was on the Raider 1976 and 1980 Titleists.
(Or am I confusing him with Walt Patulski? All those Pollacks look alike to me)
My mistake. You did get 11.
-
I think I got 11 even without White and Buchanan...or Ogden...unless Matuszak was not on a SB winner...though I thought he was on the Raider 1976 and 1980 Titleists.
(Or am I confusing him with Walt Patulski? All those Pollacks look alike to me)
My mistake. You did get 11.
My mistake. You did get 11.
One other one I thought of overnight: Bubba Smith. Didn't he play for the Colts in their early SB win?
-
My mistake. You did get 11.
One other one I thought of overnight: Bubba Smith. Didn't he play for the Colts in their early SB win?
One other one I thought of overnight: Bubba Smith. Didn't he play for the Colts in their early SB win?
count it
-
Here are some trivia questions. All sports, all football, all with specific answers, no estimating, averaging, required:
1. Thirteen states have NO members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame born there. Name as many of the thirteen as you can. There are, in my opinion, a couple of surprises.
2. Two Hall of Famers were born in Central America (but grew up in the US). Who were they and what countries were they born in?
3. One Hall of Fame player was born in Germany, has the same birthday as Adolph Hitler, and played for the Steelers...who was this evil personage. (note, he left Germany at age 3, so he didn't grow up a Nazi).
3A. In fact, there is only one Hall of Famer who did not grow up in either the US or Canada. Who is that player?
4. Who was the lowest ever draft pick to ever make the Hall of Fame?
5. What do Hall of Famers John Randle, Warren Moon, Larry Little, Jim Langer, Emmit Thomas, Willie Wood, Willie Brown, Dick Night Train Lane, Joe Perry, Bill Willis, Marion Motley, Lou Groza, and Frank Gatski have in common?
6. What do Hall of Famers Paul Hornung, Chuck Bednarik, Bill Dudley, Charlie Trippi, Buck Buchanan, Ron Yary, OJ Simpson, Terry Bradshaw, LeeRoy Selmon, Earl Campbell, John Elway, Bruce Smith and Troy Aikman have in common?
7. Not including Senior Candidates and players whose careers ended prior to 1963 when the HOF opened, which Hall of Famer waited the longest after being eligible to be inducted?
8. What jersey number was worn by the most Hall of Famers?
9. In which year were the most Hall of Famers drafted?
10. Name the Hall of Famers who were also Heisman Trophy winners.
11. Cuyahoga County: Cleve. East Tech, Glenville, Cleveland Heights, Cleve. West Tech, Benedictine.
Summit County: Akron Kenmore, Stow, Hudson,
Stark County: Massillon, Alliance, GlenOak, Canton McKinley, Canton Central Catholic
Portage/Trumbull/Mahoning/Lake Counties: Crestwood, Warren G. Harding, Painesville Harvey
Rest of Ohio: Martin's Ferry, Mansfield, Toronto, Ironton, Toledo Scott, Columbus East, Cincinnati Purcell.
What do these lists represent?
Here are some trivia questions. All sports, all football, all with specific answers, no estimating, averaging, required:
Here are the answers to this quiz about half of which Zombo had gotten:
1. Thirteen states have NO members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame born there. Name as many of the thirteen as you can. There are, in my opinion, a couple of surprises.
The thirteen states are: Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Vermont, Wyoming. The surprises in my opinion are Arizona, Maryland and Iowa, which are reasonably large enough with good football backgrounds that you would have thought of the hundreds of HOFers, one at least would have come from those states.
2. Two Hall of Famers were born in Central America (but grew up in the US). Who were they and what countries were they born in?
Ted Hendricks, the Stork, was born in Guatemala. Steve Van Buren was born in Honduras.
3. One Hall of Fame player was born in Germany, has the same birthday as Adolph Hitler, and played for the Steelers...who was this evil personage. (note, he left Germany at age 3, so he didn't grow up a Nazi).
Ernie Stautner. Born in April 20, 1925 in Bavaria, same birthday as Der Fuhrer, moved to the US at age 3. Had the family not moved he likely would have been a Nazi youth. As it was, he did become a US Marine and a Hall of Fame player and a good coach. So, he was really a good dude and not evil at all.
3A. In fact, there is only one Hall of Famer who did not grow up in either the US or Canada. Who is that player?
Jan Stenurud is correct. He was born and grew up in Norway, but came to this country for college...Montana St. and became a HOF kicker.
4. Who was the lowest ever draft pick to ever make the Hall of Fame?
Roosevelt Brown was drafted in the 27th round at position #321 (and obviously they don't go that high any more)
5. What do Hall of Famers John Randle, Warren Moon, Larry Little, Jim Langer, Emmit Thomas, Willie Wood, Willie Brown, Dick Night Train Lane, Joe Perry, Bill Willis, Marion Motley, Lou Groza, and Frank Gatski have in common?
Yes, these were all undrafted free agents, though, in the case of Willis, Motley, Groza, Gatski these were guys that were gobbled up by Paul Brown in the AAFC before they may have had a chance to be drafted by the NFL. (and FYI, the Browns had Jim Langer in their camp his rookie year, but they cut him)
6. What do Hall of Famers Paul Hornung, Chuck Bednarik, Bill Dudley, Charlie Trippi, Buck Buchanan, Ron Yary, OJ Simpson, Terry Bradshaw, LeeRoy Selmon, Earl Campbell, John Elway, Bruce Smith and Troy Aikman have in common?
Yes, these were all #1 overall draft picks. It is probable that some day before long the likes of Orlando Pace and Peyton Manning will be added to this list.
7. Not including Senior Candidates and players whose careers ended prior to 1963 when the HOF opened, which Hall of Famer waited the longest after being eligible to be inducted?
Lynn Swann waited until his 14th year of eligibility before being inducted.
As mentioned, this didn't include old timers and senior members some of which, like Fritz Pollard and Benny Friedman may have waited for 80 years after their playing days to be inducted. Those guys may have even been deceased before the HOF was formed in 1963.
8. What jersey number was worn by the most Hall of Famers?
#44 worn by Leroy Kelly, John Riggins, Floyd Little, Dick LeBeau, Dave Casper, Bill Dudley, Arnie Weinmeister, Bruiser Kinard, Steve Owen, Ernie Nevers, Ray Flaherty.
9. In which year were the most Hall of Famers drafted?
1964 was correct with 10 HOFers drafted that year: Bob Brown, Carl Eller, Charley Taylor, Paul Warfield, Mel Renfro, Paul Krause, Dave Wilcox, Bob Hayes, Leroy Kelley, Roger Staubach
1957 was next with the likes of Paul Hornung, Jim Brown, Len Dawson,Jim Parker, Tommy McDonald, Sonny Jurgenson, Henry Jordan, Gene Hickerson, Don Maynard. The Browns had 4 of them but let Jordan and Dawson go.
10. Name the Hall of Famers who were also Heisman Trophy winners.
OJ Simpson, Roger Staubach, Paul Hornung, Doak Walker, Earl Campbell, Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen, Barry Sanders.
Possible future candidates to join this list may include Tim Brown, Eddie George, Charles Woodson, maybe Carson Palmer
11. Cuyahoga County: Cleve. East Tech...Bob Brown
Glenville...Benny Friedman
Cleveland Heights...Tom Mack
Cleve. West Tech...Mike Michalske
Benedictine...Chuck Noll.
Summit County:
Akron Kenmore....Cliff Battles
Stow...Larry Csonka
Hudson...Dante Lavelli
Stark County:
Massillon...Paul Brown
Alliance...Len Dawson
GlenOak...Dan Dierdorf
Canton McKinley...Marion Motley
Canton Central Catholic...Alan Page
Portage/Trumbull/Mahoning/Lake Counties:
Crestwood...Jack Lambert
Warren G. Harding...Paul Warfield
Painesville Harvey...Don Shula
Rest of Ohio:
Martin's Ferry...Lou Groza
Mansfield...Wilbur Henry
Toronto...Clark Hinkle
Ironton...George McCaffee
Toledo Scott...Jim Parker
Columbus East...Bill Willis
Cincinnati Purcell...Roger Staubach.
What do these lists represent?
-
ok gipper, you missed george rogers, paul hornung and the great drew bledsoe. 12 out of 15 aint bad though.
-
The striking thing about the High School list is how many of the HOFers come from the "NEOpolitan" (NorthEastOhio metropolitan area, aka Greater Cleveland), and how few come from th rest of Ohio.
Sixteen HOFers come from Greater Cleveland, 1 from Greater Cincinnati and 1 from Greater Columbus and 1 from Toledo.
Even the River town area around Steubenville (Toronto and Martin's Ferry being nearby) had more than Columbus and Cinci.
When Chris Carter gets elected, and he will, the Cincinnati area will get their second. He attended Middletown HS.
-
ok gipper, you missed george rogers, paul hornung and the great drew bledsoe. 12 out of 15 aint bad though.
ok gipper, you missed george rogers, paul hornung and the great drew bledsoe. 12 out of 15 aint bad though.
Well, I mentioned Hornung, but I just wasn't sure if he actually played in a SB game.
Rogers I missed. Bledsoe I forgot about but he did become a backup on the Pats with their first title.
-
Hey Gipper, I think you missed Montana on the States list. I was almost sure there wasn't someone from Montana in the HOF and I just checked a list and they didn't have any.
The best player ever from Montana came from my hometown and is very well known: Ryan Leaf!
-
Hey Gipper, I think you missed Montana on the States list. I was almost sure there wasn't someone from Montana in the HOF and I just checked a list and they didn't have any.
The best player ever from Montana came from my hometown and is very well known: Ryan Leaf!
Hey Gipper, I think you missed Montana on the States list. I was almost sure there wasn't someone from Montana in the HOF and I just checked a list and they didn't have any.
The best player ever from Montana came from my hometown and is very well known: Ryan Leaf!
You are right. Montana has none....unless you count Joe Montana! Maybe that is why I left Montana off? Should that state get credit for its namesake?
Or, in my count, I may have counted "37 states" as having a HOF native, forgetting that they included the District of Columbia on there as a "state". Both Len Ford and Willie Wood are DC natives.
And of course, Maryland has no HOF natives either....but there was #1 overall draft pick Russell Maryland!
(Note though in my answers that Jan Stenurud's adopted home state was Montana)
-
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login