Skip to content

Other Nicknames

The Browns Board
12 8 1.7k
  • How about Dizzy and Daffy Dean, baseball playing brothers from another era way back in time...

    Peace

    T.Dawg

  • What about Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra?

    Come on peeps no one names there kid YOGI.

    He's smarter than the average Berra. πŸ˜†

  • What about Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra?

    Come on peeps no one names there kid YOGI.

    He's smarter than the average Berra. πŸ˜†

    @momszer said:

    What about Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra?

    Come on peeps no one names there kid YOGI.

    He's smarter than the average Berra. πŸ˜†

    For some guys like Yogi their nickname is so engrained with the personality you don't think of them as actually being nicknames. Magic Johnson is kinda like that. Probably a few others. Babe Ruth for sure.

  • Yeah, I'm the guy who said he didn't care for nicknames, but you make some good points.

    I stand corrected. It wouldn't be sport without them, would it? I guess I was looking at it as announcers using the nicknames & hadn't thought it out before posting. Sorry.

    Mike

  • Someone said they didn't like nicknames. I say, we couldn't have sports without nicknames. Here are only about 40 or so of the best ever:

    Earvin "Magic" Johnson

    "Crazy Legs" Hirsch

    The Human Rain Delay..Mike Hargrove

    The Chicotoumi Cucumber....a hockey player

    Charlie Hustle...Pete Rose

    "Shoeless" Joe Jackson

    "Sweetness" Walter Payton

    "Three Finger" Mordecai Brown

    The Splendid Splinter...Ted Williams

    The Sultan of Swat...Babe Ruth

    Mr. October...Reggie Jackson

    The Octopus....another hockey player

    Dinner Bell Mel Turpin

    Never Nervous Pervis Ellison

    Mrs. Doubtfire....Colin Montgomerie

    The Big Easy....Ernie Els

    Pistol Pete Maravich

    The Golden Bear...Jack Nicklaus

    The Great White Shark...Greg Norman

    The Walrus....Craig Stadler

    "Bad Moon" Risin...Andre Risin

    The Refrigerator...William Perry

    The Iron Horse...Lou Gehrig

    Earl "The Pearl" Monroe

    The Assassin...Jack Tatum

    The Microwave...Vinny Johnson

    Wilt The Stilt Chamberlain aka The Big Dipper

    Chocolate Thunder...Darryl Dawkins

    "Bullet Bob" Hayes

    "Prime Time" Neon Deion Sanders

    The Mailman...Karl Malone (because he delivers)

    The Yankee Clipper...Joe Dimaggio

    Stretch McCovey

    Akeem The Dream Olajuwan

    Durantula...Kevin Durant

    The Snake....Ken Stabler

    "Spud" Webb

    Broadway Joe...Namath

    "Hammerin Hank" Aaron

    Ken "The Hawk" Harrelson

    Jim "Mudcat" Grant

    Jim "Catfish" Hunter

    The Logo....Jerry West

    Lloyd "World B." Free (legally changed)

    "Smokin'" Joe Frazier

    "Oil Can" Boyd

    The Black Mamba...Kobe Bryant

    Sudden Sam McDowell

    The Big Aristotle...Shaquille O'Neal

    ...and I don't think I included a single Browns player in the above....a few Indians and Cavs. Someone else can supply a list of Browns players nicknames.

    @the-gipper said:

    ...and I don't think I included a single Browns player in the above....a few Indians and Cavs. Someone else can supply a list of Browns players nicknames.

    Off the top of my head.......

    Eddie "The Assasin" Johnson

    Walyter "The Flea" Roberts

    Dante "Gluefingers" Lavelli

    Hanford "Top Dawg" Dixon

    Ozzie "The Wizard of Oz" Newsome

  • My only issue with nicknames is trying to make on up....they happen. A few fans don't decide.

    Billy Whiteshoes Johnson

    Turkey Jones

    Leroy Fumble Hoard.

    Kenny "Snake" Stabler....I wonder if that is similar to me having the nickname "Well rope"??

    I'll stop now.

  • My only issue with nicknames is trying to make on up....they happen. A few fans don't decide.

    Billy Whiteshoes Johnson

    Turkey Jones

    Leroy Fumble Hoard.

    Kenny "Snake" Stabler....I wonder if that is similar to me having the nickname "Well rope"??

    I'll stop now.

    @ballpeen said:

    My only issue with nicknames is trying to make on up....they happen. A few fans don't decide.

    Billy Whiteshoes Johnson

    Turkey Jones

    Leroy Fumble Hoard.

    Kenny "Snake" Stabler....I wonder if that is similar to me having the nickname "Well rope"??

    I'll stop now.

    Some are obvious like Lou" The Toe" Groza. Others like Gerald " Ice Cube" McNeil or ball "Well rope" peen not so much.

  • Well, it is a shallow well. 😊

  • Yeah, I'm the guy who said he didn't care for nicknames, but you make some good points.

    I stand corrected. It wouldn't be sport without them, would it? I guess I was looking at it as announcers using the nicknames & hadn't thought it out before posting. Sorry.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Yeah, I'm the guy who said he didn't care for nicknames, but you make some good points.

    I stand corrected. It wouldn't be sport without them, would it? I guess I was looking at it as announcers using the nicknames & hadn't thought it out before posting. Sorry.

    Mike

    I know what you are saying. It is sort of like Chris Berman coming up with a nickname for all these ball players that are just puns on their names. Many of them seem forced.

    However, some of those are classic:

    Oddibe "young again" McDowell

    Bert "Be home" Blyleven

    Andre "Bad Moon" Risin

  • Mike "Mad Dog" Junkin πŸ™‚

    "Touchdown" Tommy Vardell 😁

    Gerard "BIG MONEY" Warren πŸ˜†

    William " Why the fck did we waste a first rnd pick on this guy" Green 😳

  • Mike "Mad Dog" Junkin πŸ™‚

    "Touchdown" Tommy Vardell 😁

    Gerard "BIG MONEY" Warren πŸ˜†

    William " Why the fck did we waste a first rnd pick on this guy" Green 😳

    @brownb499 said:

    Mike "Mad Dog" Junkin πŸ™‚

    "Touchdown" Tommy Vardell 😁

    Gerard "BIG MONEY" Warren πŸ˜†

    William " Why the fck did we waste a first rnd pick on this guy" Green 😳

    That was Mike "Mad Dog in a Meat Market" Junkin actually, wasn't it?

    Some later called Jim Brown "Black Superman".

    Wasn't BK sometimes called "The Kid"?

    don't forget "Pork Chop" Womack