Skip to content

QB question

The Browns Board
31 20 3.4k
  • @jnuh said:

    Wow not more then 11 wins? don't go out on a lim here

    Dude, don't discount the importance of that prediction. i've stuck my neck out here (or kneck as Balpeen likes to call it), and this is a big step for me. My prediction is generally in the 9 to 10 games, but i sense somenthing special in this year's crop of veterans and newbies. i have exerted my leadership by extending my prediction to levels that are beyond the likes of anything that we've seen from you, Stan, Zombo, Riffer, Flugs, Hoorta, or anyone since before 1999. i'm breaking new ground here. i fully expect my record to remain unblemished, (but i welcome the challenge).

    THIS IS NEW AND INSPIRED FRONT OFFICE, A HUNGRY BUNCH OF VETERANS, AND AN ITCHTY GROUP OF ROOKS THAT WANT TO HIT SOMEBODY! My prediction is well researched. i'm sticking to it.......... for now.

    roach (Flugs has become an academic that unfortunately debates with those that don't really watch the games (what a waste), while Zombo steels umbrellas from those that do. Watch out for him.

    @roach said:

    Dude, don't discount the importance of that prediction. i've stuck my neck out here (or kneck as Balpeen likes to call it), and this is a big step for me. My prediction is generally in the 9 to 10 games, but i sense somenthing special in this year's crop of veterans and newbies. i have exerted my leadership by extending my prediction to levels that are beyond the likes of anything that we've seen from you, Stan, Zombo, Riffer, Flugs, Hoorta, or anyone since before 1999. i'm breaking new ground here. i fully expect my record to remain unblemished, (but i welcome the challenge).

    THIS IS NEW AND INSPIRED FRONT OFFICE, A HUNGRY BUNCH OF VETERANS, AND AN ITCHTY GROUP OF ROOKS THAT WANT TO HIT SOMEBODY! My prediction is well researched. i'm sticking to it.......... for now.

    roach (Flugs has become an academic that unfortunately debates with those that don't really watch the games (what a waste), while Zombo steels umbrellas from those that do. Watch out for him.

    The prediction is very vague which is why I said not to go out on a lim. "No more then 11 wins" Means we can have 5 again and you are right or we can have 11 and have a great years and you are right. Saying no more then 11 wins is pretty much a no brainer though. A team with 3 very tough teams in the division doesn't jump from 5 wins to more then 11 over night.

    Every off season I feel like me, and every other Browns fan I know in real life or on the internet is overly optimistic and it just results in a long season and all my non Browns freinds fan telling me "I told you so" or "same old Browns" or whatever they decide is a fun stab at my decade of pain, suffering and misery. And to make matters worse I live in NYC so I have to subscribe (waste money) to sunday ticket and I travel to Cleveland atleast once a year and I go to whatever road games I could make a day trip out of ... always Jets/Giants games when they play in NYC and then I will go to Philly, Balt, Washington, and this year I will prob fly to florida for one the the games down there as I have friends throughout that state. So aside from the pain of watching my optimism slowly deflate as the season moves on I watch my money also slowly deflate because I waste so much of it on this team. And quit frankly it is begining to take a toll on me. I am a diehard fan and its the only way I know to be.

    I am at the point now that they need to prove something to me before I go out on a lim for them anymore. I am sick of looking like an idiot. Every year I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick a feild goal when Lucy pulls the ball away .... every year I get hyped and every year Lucy pulls the ball away from chuck and he just falls flat on his a$$

    Sorry for the rant I am just getting frustrated with this team and I really hate the Delhomme move. The dude has had injury problems, has been an interception machine is 35/36 years old and was handed they keys to the orginzation at the tune of half way decent money too. Atleast Orton or Campbell if they panned out are young enough and still are hitting there prime and cold have given us a few years. If Delhomme pans out its pretty much for a year or 2 tops. And in all honesty he only had a couple good years and they were in 04 and 05 thats 5-6 years ago.

  • I like Jake but personally I would of rather had Campbell. He's younger and he has shown that he can play despite the Brady Quinn type hands he has been dealt. His numbers are much better than Quinn's and he was in a very similiar bad situation. I think if he were available before we got Jake, we would have went for him. BUT! I like having Jake here and I expect him to sling it around the yard up until November when we start hammering Hillis and Hardesty through the gaps.

  • Thats a helluva lot of optimism fellas. I hope you are right, but Delhomme scares the hell out of me in regards to being a good fit here. I cant help but think his best years are behind him.

    @jnuh said:

    Thats a helluva lot of optimism fellas. I hope you are right, but Delhomme scares the hell out of me in regards to being a good fit here. I cant help but think his best years are behind him.

    I don't think there is any doubt his best years are behind him.

    I just think the remaining years will be good enough while this teams transitions from poor to good.

    Jake can't sling it around as he once could, so we run and work shorter, ball control routes....a perfect set-up for a year or two from now when Colt gets his shot to show if he has it or if he doesn't.

    That year or two also gives our staff a chance to get a feel if Colt has what it takes....allowing us to draft a plan B...or maybe new plan A while all of this plays out.

  • @jnuh said:

    Thats a helluva lot of optimism fellas. I hope you are right, but Delhomme scares the hell out of me in regards to being a good fit here. I cant help but think his best years are behind him.

    I don't think there is any doubt his best years are behind him.

    I just think the remaining years will be good enough while this teams transitions from poor to good.

    Jake can't sling it around as he once could, so we run and work shorter, ball control routes....a perfect set-up for a year or two from now when Colt gets his shot to show if he has it or if he doesn't.

    That year or two also gives our staff a chance to get a feel if Colt has what it takes....allowing us to draft a plan B...or maybe new plan A while all of this plays out.

    @ballpeen said:

    I don't think there is any doubt his best years are behind him.

    I just think the remaining years will be good enough while this teams transitions from poor to good.

    Jake can't sling it around as he once could, so we run and work shorter, ball control routes....a perfect set-up for a year or two from now when Colt gets his shot to show if he has it or if he doesn't.

    That year or two also gives our staff a chance to get a feel if Colt has what it takes....allowing us to draft a plan B...or maybe new plan A while all of this plays out.

    Then again we'll need to suck pretty badly to pick up next years Bradford...

    WSS

  • Personally i wasn't a fan of the Delhomme pick up BUT very much understood why the Browns did it. They didn't want to go into the season with DA or Quinn and then after grabbing Seneca, they wanted to make sure they had a guy who's been a good QB in his career here. Last year was terrible for him BUT i suppose a way to look at it would be, we wouldn't have had ANY shot at getting him if he was still playing like he usually does.

    I think he's either going to bounce back OR fail terribly. I sense no middle ground on this.

    The move has grown on me and i like the guys attitude on things i've seen about him on the Browns website.

  • I think there are many surprises ahead for us all as Browns fans

  • Jake's gonna get his mojo back and be on FIRE for the Browns. He needed a change of scenery and this is gonna put him on the plus side. You don't come out of what he's been through with the surgery and bad rap the last year or so and not be better. Unless you don't deserve it. And he does. I can't wait for it to begin. I'm wearing brown now because of Jake Delhomme. And I'm not gonna be sorry for it, I'm pretty sure.

  • Jake's gonna get his mojo back and be on FIRE for the Browns. He needed a change of scenery and this is gonna put him on the plus side. You don't come out of what he's been through with the surgery and bad rap the last year or so and not be better. Unless you don't deserve it. And he does. I can't wait for it to begin. I'm wearing brown now because of Jake Delhomme. And I'm not gonna be sorry for it, I'm pretty sure.

    @rocksister said:

    Jake's gonna get his mojo back and be on FIRE for the Browns. He needed a change of scenery and this is gonna put him on the plus side. You don't come out of what he's been through with the surgery and bad rap the last year or so and not be better. Unless you don't deserve it. And he does. I can't wait for it to begin. I'm wearing brown now because of Jake Delhomme. And I'm not gonna be sorry for it, I'm pretty sure.

    See the problem I am having is his skills were dimishing before the surgery and it hasn't just been the "past year or so" Jake hasn't really had a solid season since 2005. I am blown away at how optimistic people are being about Delhomme. As much as I want to see this guy be a beast and win games for us I just can't picture it.

  • @rocksister said:

    Jake's gonna get his mojo back and be on FIRE for the Browns. He needed a change of scenery and this is gonna put him on the plus side. You don't come out of what he's been through with the surgery and bad rap the last year or so and not be better. Unless you don't deserve it. And he does. I can't wait for it to begin. I'm wearing brown now because of Jake Delhomme. And I'm not gonna be sorry for it, I'm pretty sure.

    See the problem I am having is his skills were dimishing before the surgery and it hasn't just been the "past year or so" Jake hasn't really had a solid season since 2005. I am blown away at how optimistic people are being about Delhomme. As much as I want to see this guy be a beast and win games for us I just can't picture it.

    @jnuh said:

    See the problem I am having is his skills were dimishing before the surgery and it hasn't just been the "past year or so" Jake hasn't really had a solid season since 2005. I am blown away at how optimistic people are being about Delhomme. As much as I want to see this guy be a beast and win games for us I just can't picture it.

    He's suceeded at a high level and done so for multiple seasons, which is why people believe in him. Much like you, i'm unsure of what will happen. The guy clearly cares, so that is always a big positive in terms of everything and the talent WAS there, now we'll find out if it still is. I'm pretty confident if Jake lays an egg, we won't have to see him very long. This guy was brought in to install stability and if he cannot do that, we will see Seneca Wallace out there.

  • One other thing he's got in his favor . The Big Show digs him , and when the Big show comes to town the parade starts at the rear . Give the man some credit . He's been there and done this all before .

  • @rocksister said:

    Jake's gonna get his mojo back and be on FIRE for the Browns. He needed a change of scenery and this is gonna put him on the plus side. You don't come out of what he's been through with the surgery and bad rap the last year or so and not be better. Unless you don't deserve it. And he does. I can't wait for it to begin. I'm wearing brown now because of Jake Delhomme. And I'm not gonna be sorry for it, I'm pretty sure.

    See the problem I am having is his skills were dimishing before the surgery and it hasn't just been the "past year or so" Jake hasn't really had a solid season since 2005. I am blown away at how optimistic people are being about Delhomme. As much as I want to see this guy be a beast and win games for us I just can't picture it.

    @jnuh said:

    See the problem I am having is his skills were dimishing before the surgery and it hasn't just been the "past year or so" Jake hasn't really had a solid season since 2005. I am blown away at how optimistic people are being about Delhomme. As much as I want to see this guy be a beast and win games for us I just can't picture it.

    Jake wasn't brought to stretch the field, if he does great, if not he"ll get you that 9 yards whenn you need 7 or 8. I was 14 in 1964 when the Browns won it all. I can't remember ever seeing from any pro team a more pathetic, impotent & nauseating performance than DA & Quinn. Run & gun Jake, he could do it left handed!

  • I know he wasn't brought in to stretch the field, but he was brought in to not turn the ball over and his track record the past couple season tells a different story. The interceptions worry me the most.

    Also when I started this thread I asked a simple question which was... what QB would you have like to see our Brownies bring in and everyone has avoided that question and just commented about Delhomme. I can't possibly imagine that everyone who has posted in this thread wanted Delhomme before we got him. It is kind of slow around here and I was interested in hearing different people opinions, but I haven't really gotten that at all.

  • I know he wasn't brought in to stretch the field, but he was brought in to not turn the ball over and his track record the past couple season tells a different story. The interceptions worry me the most.

    Also when I started this thread I asked a simple question which was... what QB would you have like to see our Brownies bring in and everyone has avoided that question and just commented about Delhomme. I can't possibly imagine that everyone who has posted in this thread wanted Delhomme before we got him. It is kind of slow around here and I was interested in hearing different people opinions, but I haven't really gotten that at all.

    @jnuh said:

    I know he wasn't brought in to stretch the field, but he was brought in to not turn the ball over and his track record the past couple season tells a different story. The interceptions worry me the most.

    Also when I started this thread I asked a simple question which was... what QB would you have like to see our Brownies bring in and everyone has avoided that question and just commented about Delhomme. I can't possibly imagine that everyone who has posted in this thread wanted Delhomme before we got him. It is kind of slow around here and I was interested in hearing different people opinions, but I haven't really gotten that at all.

    For me McNabb and Delhomme were the two best options out there, I liked Cambell to but I dont no if he's the leader we were looking for. McNabb would have been my top choice but that didnt happen and we didnt have to give up draft picks to get Delhomme. Im confident we can win games with Jake and its a big upgrade over last year. All together im happy we got a proven Vet a backup thats capable and a young guy to groom for the future.