Browns ready to send RFA's a message
-
Browns have discussed lowering restricted tender amounts
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 16, 2010 5:38 PM ET
The Browns aren't negotiating with any of the their five restricted free agents that plan to skip OTAs starting Monday.
That indicates the players aren't especially likely to get a long-term contract soon. But it is possible they could get their 2010 salary reduced if they stay away from the team too long.
Browns G.M. Tom Heckert admits the team has discussed reducing tender offers if the players don't show up by June 15. They would rather not, though.
"Nobody wants to go down that road because it brings bad blood," Heckert said. "At the same time, we want the guys in here. . . . We want guys in and then we'll see what happens. We hope it doesn't get to June 15."
We doubt the Browns will reduce the offers to safety Abe Elam, running back Jerome Harrison, linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, linebacker Matt Roth and fullback Lawrence Vickers.
Still, Heckert appears to be sending a message. Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer details how much each player could lose in the process; most could lose over $1 million.
For that reason, we expect a rash of RFA signings around June 15th in Cleveland and around the rest of the league.
-
This is good to hear!
For far to long this club and past regimes have bent over backwards and taken it in the rear when it comes to paying and or contracting often less than mediocre, unproven talent and or walking injuries looking for a warm bench to ride all season, im all for contracting and even re-writing contracts for guys who have proven their worth like cribbs but not one of these guys has proven they are worth multi-year contracts, i would chance it with roth but thats just me and im with heckert and MH on this one, this approach is the right way and its gonna pay in better and more competitive talent across the board now and in the future...
-
I would look to sign Roth....the others...Harrison, keep as is and look at what he is doing this season. If he is doing reasonably well, start talking extension come game 7-8.
Jackson and Vickers....I would start offering them in trade. Nobody wanted them for a 2nd rounder, so I would dangle a 3rd round choice to see if that drew any interest. Charge their agents to find a deal with any non-division team willing to give up a 3rd rounder....find the deal, we make the trade.
If they can't, it only solidifies our position.
-
Zombo said:
Just sign all four of them.Zombo
The ball is in their court Z
-
Zombo said:
Obviously they want better deals. And they are four good players, so let's work out better deals.Zombo
I don't disagree, but the problem is the divide between what is exactly defined as an acceptable "better" deal between the players and the team.
If Jackson wants to get paid like Lewis or Urlacher, it ain't gonna happen.
Vickers? He's gotta prove he can catch the ball better to be paid more, but I think he's probably worth more than Greg Jones makes in Jacksonville, so pay him 3 to 5 mill a year.
Harrison? He's gotta prove he can start a whole season before we bend over for him. He should accept his tender and be happy.
Roth? There was a reason the Dolphins cut him. There may be a reason the Browns let him walk. He may have such an overvalued sense of himself, that he prices himself outta football. That is unless he is willing to play a year to prove he deserves the pay.
Elam? he's gotta prove he can play at a higher level to get more pay.
The main issue is, these guys are upset that they didn't become free agents. That isn't the Brown's fault. That's the NFL/NFLPA's fault. If the players really wanted to be free agents, they should have informed the NLFPA to start compromising more seriously with the NFL on a new CBA.
Its the same with with Chris Johnson down in Tennessee. The rules of the uncapped season says he can only make 30% more in a new contract (that is until a new CBA is made). Sure, there are tricks and loopholes with special bonuses that can be crafted to give him a bunch of money, but his base salary isn't going to change much. There is absolutely nothing the Titans can do about that. So rather than screw the Titans, instruct the NFLPA to start compromising.
-
http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/sow_ex...?urn=sow,241471
I know its soccer, but wow... many, many players could take a page outta this guys play book.
-
One thing I noticed is that Miles Austin hasn't signed his offer sheet either. I am not sure what we would have to give up to get him but boy it would be nice if we could get him away from Dallas. I know that I am dreaming but I don't see any other great FA WR that are very exciting.
-
One thing I noticed is that Miles Austin hasn't signed his offer sheet either. I am not sure what we would have to give up to get him but boy it would be nice if we could get him away from Dallas. I know that I am dreaming but I don't see any other great FA WR that are very exciting.
One thing I noticed is that Miles Austin hasn't signed his offer sheet either. I am not sure what we would have to give up to get him but boy it would be nice if we could get him away from Dallas. I know that I am dreaming but I don't see any other great FA WR that are very exciting.
My guess is, there is no way Austin is leaving Dallas. More likely, Crayton would leave. I could see us trading Jackson for Crayton.
-
Browns dangle hollow offer to unsigned RFAs
Posted by Mike Florio on June 13, 2010 10:29 AM ET
Hopeful to entice a cluster of unsigned restricted free agents to report for a weekend minicamp, the Cleveland Browns made an unusual offer.
Any of the players who had yet to accept their RFA tender offers would be eligible for a $150,000 incentive, per Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
But, as always, there's a catch. The team would have to win 10 games in 2010, and each player would have to reach a specific performance threshold.
So while the Browns get points for creativity, the fine print puts this one in the "too good to be true" category.
-
I think the tenders are a good deal for the talent involved , and think not taking it would be a big mistake for most all of them
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login