Jones vs. Lerner
-
Plus, on this point, I don't know why Jones would point out Cleveland as a "small market" team that he would have to "look out for". ALL of the following NFL markets are smaller than Cleveland:
St. Louis
Pittsburgh
Charlotte
Indianapolis
Baltimore
San Diego
Nashville
Kansas City
Cincinnatti
Jacksonville
New Orleans
Buffalo
Green Bay
Parenthetically, there are a number of markets out there that do not have an NFL team that are bigger than some of the above. Excluding "tiny" Green Bay the following non-NFL markets (using Neilsen DMA rankings) are all larger than the likes of Buffalo or New Orleans:
Los Angeles
Orlando
Sacramento
Portland
Raleigh
Hartford
Salt Lake City
Greeneville/Spartanburg
San Antonio
Birmingham
-
I really have no idea what the author is trying to say. the paragraph is contradictory. First, it says that Jerry Jones could make more money and be more popular if it weren't for the majority of the other owners having to vote on certain things. Then, the point is made that in horse racing, everyone is looking out for their own interests and there is no consensus, but there should be in order to increase popularity. Makes no sense.
-
off-season chatter often bores me . This article is no exception .
-
Zombo said:
Jones still doesn't get what is so great about the NFL. The revenue-sharing and salary cap gives all of the franchises opportunities to remain relevant and contend, it's the best sports system in the world.I guess he would prefer it to be like baseball where the Red Sox, Yankees and maybe the Cubs get ratings and the Royals and Pirates remain horrible for all eternity.
We just had one of the highest-rated sports events of all time and it featured ... NEW ORLEANS and INDIANAPOLIS. Now in Jerry's world, those two teams would be the Pirates and Royals and we'd get to watch the Cowboys and Patriots in the Super bowl every single year.
Oh wait ... make that Giants and Patriots ... because, as we all know, even with all their glamour and advantages ... the Cowboys have won only one wild card game in 15 years. Maybe that's why he doesn't want to "support" the other markets ... they keep beating his ass.
Zombo
You are dead square right Zombo. Why does Jones think he would really have an advantage over other teams in other markets if it were a free for all in spending on players? The Yankees have the advantage over other teams because of their local revenues, and they have that advantage because the New York area is 3 times larger than any other market except maybe LA and Chicago. Dallas is not New York. Its really just a big cow town.
-
Im still trying to figure out how horse racing would innovate football.
-
maybe jones wants to have wet t shirt contests before games but knows that it is unfair competition because the weather in cleveland would make it dangerous
-
Im still trying to figure out how horse racing would innovate football.
Im still trying to figure out how horse racing would innovate football.
I think it was vice versa: what could horse racing do that the NFL is doing to reinvigorate that sport?
Well here is a clue:
Create a horse racing league that has horse racing teams that represent certain cities and race against other cities teams.
Difficult to do in what is considered an "individual" sport. Perhaps golf, boxing, and tennis could do the same.
(though I think at one time there was a Team Tennis league")
And, in checking, I see that there actually still is a Team Tennis League. I knew there had been one. Elton John wrote Philadelphia Freedom about it. It apparently still exists, but you sure never hear about it. See the link:
-
Zombo said:
Jones still doesn't get what is so great about the NFL. The revenue-sharing and salary cap gives all of the franchises opportunities to remain relevant and contend, it's the best sports system in the world.I guess he would prefer it to be like baseball where the Red Sox, Yankees and maybe the Cubs get ratings and the Royals and Pirates remain horrible for all eternity.
We just had one of the highest-rated sports events of all time and it featured ... NEW ORLEANS and INDIANAPOLIS. Now in Jerry's world, those two teams would be the Pirates and Royals and we'd get to watch the Cowboys and Patriots in the Super bowl every single year.
Oh wait ... make that Giants and Patriots ... because, as we all know, even with all their glamor and advantages ... the Cowboys have won only one wild card game in 15 years. Maybe that's why he doesn't want to "support" the other markets ... they keep beating his ass.
Zombo
Amen, Z. Jones should be shot for even suggesting the NFL follow the MLB model. Green Bay would be toast under that scenario. Fortunately, the NFL is a one man, one (owner) vote league- And Jones will get shot down by plenty, he could muster maybe 5 votes (I'm betting the Maras would oppose abolishing revenue sharing). Speaking of- that's why I can't get too excited about baseball- there's NO competitive balance. Until there's a hard salary cap, count me uninterested. The Yankees can't buy a pennant EVERY year, but they damn sure can field a competitive team every year, outspending small markets 4-1 or more.
Gips may find this trivia interesting- Answers in the next post.....
When's the last time the Yankees had a losing record?
How many seasons have the Yankees had a losing record since they moved to New York in 1903, 107 years ago?
-
A-1: 18 years ago, 1992.
A-2: 21, and in 9 of those seasons, they were 10 games under .500 or less. So historically, on average they've had a real stinker of a season once every 10 years or so- and if we toss out the pre-1920 records, it's even less than that. I rest my case.
-
I think you guys are reading it all wrong.
I think it means that Jones understands why revenue sharing is important.
This quote from Lucas is what supports my take.
"In horse racing, everybody looks out for their own selfish interests. We’ve got to get under one umbrella.”
Lucas is saying the model for horse racing needs to be more like the model of the NFL.
Why would be be saying that if his good buddy Jones was saying he wished the NFL would scrap the current balance?
Jones understands the NFL brand is better for him in the long run than it might be to make more money in the short run.
-
Zombo said:
Jones still doesn't get what is so great about the NFL. The revenue-sharing and salary cap gives all of the franchises opportunities to remain relevant and contend, it's the best sports system in the world.I guess he would prefer it to be like baseball where the Red Sox, Yankees and maybe the Cubs get ratings and the Royals and Pirates remain horrible for all eternity.
We just had one of the highest-rated sports events of all time and it featured ... NEW ORLEANS and INDIANAPOLIS. Now in Jerry's world, those two teams would be the Pirates and Royals and we'd get to watch the Cowboys and Patriots in the Super bowl every single year.
Oh wait ... make that Giants and Patriots ... because, as we all know, even with all their glamor and advantages ... the Cowboys have won only one wild card game in 15 years. Maybe that's why he doesn't want to "support" the other markets ... they keep beating his ass.
Zombo
Amen, Z. Jones should be shot for even suggesting the NFL follow the MLB model. Green Bay would be toast under that scenario. Fortunately, the NFL is a one man, one (owner) vote league- And Jones will get shot down by plenty, he could muster maybe 5 votes (I'm betting the Maras would oppose abolishing revenue sharing). Speaking of- that's why I can't get too excited about baseball- there's NO competitive balance. Until there's a hard salary cap, count me uninterested. The Yankees can't buy a pennant EVERY year, but they damn sure can field a competitive team every year, outspending small markets 4-1 or more.
Gips may find this trivia interesting- Answers in the next post.....
When's the last time the Yankees had a losing record?
How many seasons have the Yankees had a losing record since they moved to New York in 1903, 107 years ago?
Amen, Z. Jones should be shot for even suggesting the NFL follow the MLB model. Green Bay would be toast under that scenario. Fortunately, the NFL is a one man, one (owner) vote league- And Jones will get shot down by plenty, he could muster maybe 5 votes (I'm betting the Maras would oppose abolishing revenue sharing). Speaking of- that's why I can't get too excited about baseball- there's NO competitive balance. Until there's a hard salary cap, count me uninterested. The Yankees can't buy a pennant EVERY year, but they damn sure can field a competitive team every year, outspending small markets 4-1 or more.
Gips may find this trivia interesting- Answers in the next post.....
When's the last time the Yankees had a losing record?
How many seasons have the Yankees had a losing record since they moved to New York in 1903, 107 years ago?
On the trivia, I don't know the exact year, but I believe the last Yankee losing record was sometime in the early 90s. For shits and giggles I will say 1991.
Of the 107 seasons, I will say they have had a ballpark 20 losing seasons. I think prior to their acquisition of Babe Ruth they had numerous losing seasons, plus they had 4-5-6-7 in the late 60s to mid 70s. Otherwise, only a handful here or there.
-
A-1: 18 years ago, 1992.
A-2: 21, and in 9 of those seasons, they were 10 games under .500 or less. So historically, on average they've had a real stinker of a season once every 10 years or so- and if we toss out the pre-1920 records, it's even less than that. I rest my case.
A-1: 18 years ago, 1992.
A-2: 21, and in 9 of those seasons, they were 10 games under .500 or less. So historically, on average they've had a real stinker of a season once every 10 years or so- and if we toss out the pre-1920 records, it's even less than that. I rest my case.
I didn't see these answers before I made my guess. I came pretty close though
-
I think you guys are reading it all wrong.
I think it means that Jones understands why revenue sharing is important.
This quote from Lucas is what supports my take.
"In horse racing, everybody looks out for their own selfish interests. We’ve got to get under one umbrella.”
Lucas is saying the model for horse racing needs to be more like the model of the NFL.
Why would be be saying that if his good buddy Jones was saying he wished the NFL would scrap the current balance?
Jones understands the NFL brand is better for him in the long run than it might be to make more money in the short run.
I think you guys are reading it all wrong.
I think it means that Jones understands why revenue sharing is important.
This quote from Lucas is what supports my take.
"In horse racing, everybody looks out for their own selfish interests. We’ve got to get under one umbrella.”
Lucas is saying the model for horse racing needs to be more like the model of the NFL.
Why would be be saying that if his good buddy Jones was saying he wished the NFL would scrap the current balance?
Jones understands the NFL brand is better for him in the long run than it might be to make more money in the short run.
Yes, that is one way to look at it. I guess the problem with Lukas's statement is that it was vague and possibly subject to misinterpretation.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login