Rookies and the "Wright Brown", By Lane Adkins OBR Football Analyst
-
WWBT: Rookies and the "Wright Brown"
By Lane Adkins
OBR Football Analyst
Date: May 21, 2010
What the team tells the media about their new players is always a sort of "reserved praise", stated carefully to avoid making headlines. But what does the coaching staff really think? Which players need work? And where do they need to work? Lane lets you know What We've Been Told...
- Rookie RB Montario Hardesty has received a lot of praise due to his preparation, physical skills and determination. The Browns organization is very optimistic, and of the belief the young RB can become a high quality player in the league. While the rookie displays excellent receiving skills, one concern has been his quickness coming off a cut. The upper-echelon NFL running backs do not lose speed or momentum when cutting. This is a learning point for Hardesty from the Browns coaching staff -- make the cut and go.
- With restricted free agent S Abe Elam not reporting to the OTA sessions, the coaching staff has had the opportunity to get 2010 draft selections T.J. Ward and Larry Asante on the field in roles comparable to starters. What intrigues most is the athleticism the rookies possess, as both have been flying to the football and gaining an understanding of the game. On the downside, there is nothing like actual experience at the professional level, as both rookies have had some rough moments in coverage scheme and recognition. But this is to be expected and should improve with each passing session.
- The Browns like the look they have with Eric Wright and Sheldon Brown as the starting corners. Early indications are defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is much more comfortable in mixing up the scheme. While Brown has been with the team a short time, his personality is rubbing off on the younger players in the defensive backfield. While the OTA's are basically non-impact/contact sessions, those in the defensive backfield have been "practicing hungry".
- First round draft selection Joe Haden has come on strong after a handful of early miscues in practice sessions. Haden is going to press for a significant role in the 2010 season, which can only improve a defensive backfield that was below-average a season ago. Thus far, Haden has played on the island, as well as a nickel and dime CB.
- Despite the OTA sessions clearly being a period which one cannot gauge a player throughly, rookie offensive lineman Shawn Lauvao has impressed so far. Lauvao has a wide base, sets quickly and gets his hands on a defender well. Most surprising is his footwork - the rookie has rarely been off-balance and could push for a significant role early. The Browns sought an offensive lineman that could create push in a man-on role. While the OTA sessions not geared toward the physical contact aspects of the game, the Browns staff has been pleased.
- Rookie WR Carlton Mitchell hasn't been able to find his way as of yet due to a nagging injury issue, but when able, Mitchell has not been a disappointment. The Browns staff has been working with the young WR to better utilize his hands, off the line, in routes and when catching the ball. The Browns do not see Mitchell as a project, but rather a player that requires some defining, This is very much the same thing said about Mohamed Massaquoi a year-ago in the OTA sessions.
- Defensive end Clifton Geathers is a unique specimen. His height and wingspan can create issues at the point of attack for the opposition. Geathers is quick for a 6'7" lineman, but has some aspects of his game to work on -- with recognition and playing with greater leverage being just a couple.
- As has been the story throughout the OTA sessions, the offense appears ahead of the defense and rookie QB Colt McCoy has participated in this success. There is little doubt McCoy is very mature and knowledgeable for a rookie. He has made some mistakes, but has not been tricked into throwing into coverage often and has displayed very impressive accuracy. Early in the OTA sessions, McCoy tried to do too much, but settled into the role and has impressed the staff with his accuracy and better-than anticipated arm strength. The truth will begin to be told when the team is in pads and the hitting begins, but for McCoy, the start of his professional career has been solid.
-
I like what I am reading get those pads on and let's go!!!!! I can't wait for the season to begin!!!
-
i get more and more excited when i read articles like this. all i want to see from the browns is improvement. a move in the right direction will do wonders for this organization.
-
- First round draft selection Joe Haden has come on strong after a handful of early miscues in practice sessions. Haden is going to press for a significant role in the 2010 season, which can only improve a defensive backfield that was below-average a season ago. Thus far, Haden has played on the island, as well as a nickel and dime CB.
this is good news. we need our secondary to be rock solid this season and beyond.
- Despite the OTA sessions clearly being a period which one cannot gauge a player throughly, rookie offensive lineman Shawn Lauvao has impressed so far. Lauvao has a wide base, sets quickly and gets his hands on a defender well. Most surprising is his footwork - the rookie has rarely been off-balance and could push for a significant role early. The Browns sought an offensive lineman that could create push in a man-on role. While the OTA sessions not geared toward the physical contact aspects of the game, the Browns staff has been pleased.
- Rookie WR Carlton Mitchell hasn't been able to find his way as of yet due to a nagging injury issue, but when able, Mitchell has not been a disappointment. The Browns staff has been working with the young WR to better utilize his hands, off the line, in routes and when catching the ball. The Browns do not see Mitchell as a project, but rather a player that requires some defining, This is very much the same thing said about Mohamed Massaquoi a year-ago in the OTA sessions.
- Defensive end Clifton Geathers is a unique specimen. His height and wingspan can create issues at the point of attack for the opposition. Geathers is quick for a 6'7" lineman, but has some aspects of his game to work on -- with recognition and playing with greater leverage being just a couple.
i'm always glad to hear good things like this about undrafted fas and lower round draft picks. the more help the browns can get, the better.
- As has been the story throughout the OTA sessions, the offense appears ahead of the defense and rookie QB Colt McCoy has participated in this success. There is little doubt McCoy is very mature and knowledgeable for a rookie. He has made some mistakes, but has not been tricked into throwing into coverage often and has displayed very impressive accuracy. Early in the OTA sessions, McCoy tried to do too much, but settled into the role and has impressed the staff with his accuracy and better-than anticipated arm strength. The truth will begin to be told when the team is in pads and the hitting begins, but for McCoy, the start of his professional career has been solid.
accuracy and arm strength, two things i didn't hear alot about bq his rookie year. let's hope colt can be what bq wasn't for the browns.
-
I think McCoy is lucky to be tutored by Jake and Seneca both . I also like what I am hearing on the other side of the ball . This will be an extremely good TC to witness this year . I can't wait .
-
The Browns need to succeed with this draft class... Our demise since our return has been the terrible drafts we experienced...
If we are to progress we need to hit on at least 4 players this year....
I like what I'm reading so far, seems that most articles are optimistic as compared to previous years....
We might have turned the corner in the drafting department and am excited for the real practices to begin....
This could be the beginning of something good...
Peace
T.Dawg
-
I think McCoy is lucky to be tutored by Jake and Seneca both . I also like what I am hearing on the other side of the ball . This will be an extremely good TC to witness this year . I can't wait .
I think McCoy is lucky to be tutored by Jake and Seneca both . I also like what I am hearing on the other side of the ball . This will be an extremely good TC to witness this year . I can't wait .
holmgren, haskell, jake and seneca. yes, mccoy is definitely in a good spot for an up and coming qb. he has alot of great mentors around him, so let's hope he has what it takes to be a good qb in this league.
-
I think McCoy is lucky to be tutored by Jake and Seneca both . I also like what I am hearing on the other side of the ball . This will be an extremely good TC to witness this year . I can't wait .
I think McCoy is lucky to be tutored by Jake and Seneca both . I also like what I am hearing on the other side of the ball . This will be an extremely good TC to witness this year . I can't wait .
I agree. Both qbs have a lot of experience and both are fairly similar to McCoy in style of play.....neither is real big and both can move in the pocket.
The best thing that can happen to us and to Colt is Jake has a solid 2 years as QB of the Browns while Colt gets a little seasoning to him, then in 2012-2013, Colt come out ready to be the captain of his fate.
-
I think McCoy is lucky to be tutored by Jake and Seneca both . I also like what I am hearing on the other side of the ball . This will be an extremely good TC to witness this year . I can't wait .
holmgren, haskell, jake and seneca. yes, mccoy is definitely in a good spot for an up and coming qb. he has alot of great mentors around him, so let's hope he has what it takes to be a good qb in this league.
holmgren, haskell, jake and seneca. yes, mccoy is definitely in a good spot for an up and coming qb. he has alot of great mentors around him, so let's hope he has what it takes to be a good qb in this league.
Eddie Haskell was a heck of a QB in his day.......just ask the Beaver.
-
I think McCoy is lucky to be tutored by Jake and Seneca both . I also like what I am hearing on the other side of the ball . This will be an extremely good TC to witness this year . I can't wait .
I agree. Both qbs have a lot of experience and both are fairly similar to McCoy in style of play.....neither is real big and both can move in the pocket.
The best thing that can happen to us and to Colt is Jake has a solid 2 years as QB of the Browns while Colt gets a little seasoning to him, then in 2012-2013, Colt come out ready to be the captain of his fate.
The best thing that can happen to us and to Colt is Jake has a solid 2 years as QB of the Browns while Colt gets a little seasoning to him, then in 2012-2013, Colt come out ready to be the captain of his fate.
Agreed. And yet I really want to see what Wallace can do as well. Not by way of injury, hopefully, but rather through some change-of-look packages and WildDawg formations. Now having some players capable of executing, Daboll has an opportunity to show what he can do.
-
Lots of positives in the write up! Adding Brown to the secondary while bringing along Haden is another case of a win-win for the Browns. Haden gets better while not being thrown to the wolves and watches a real pro like Brown play the position. (while also getting time on the fields as well)
Love how the Browns view Mitchell too in terms of thinking he can have an impact right away, versus just trying to hide him and bring him along crazily slow.
You've got to wonder with the drafting of Hardesty, what sort of contrat is Harrison going to get? He really doesn't have a lot of leverage at all....
-
The best thing that can happen to us and to Colt is Jake has a solid 2 years as QB of the Browns while Colt gets a little seasoning to him, then in 2012-2013, Colt come out ready to be the captain of his fate.
Agreed. And yet I really want to see what Wallace can do as well. Not by way of injury, hopefully, but rather through some change-of-look packages and WildDawg formations. Now having some players capable of executing, Daboll has an opportunity to show what he can do.
Agreed. And yet I really want to see what Wallace can do as well. Not by way of injury, hopefully, but rather through some change-of-look packages and WildDawg formations. Now having some players capable of executing, Daboll has an opportunity to show what he can do.
No doubt.
I was simply commenting on the QB situation more from the angle of how it pertains to McCoy and his development.
The captain of his fate part more or less implies he is then thrust in to the QB battle and let the chips fall where they may.
No slight of Wallace intended.
-
I think many of us are interested in what Wallace can do for us, especially with Mangini mentioning that he'll be a part of packages regardless of his status as a starter or not. I love them utlizing a man who could be another potential weapon for us. I still think fans who haven't seen a lot of Seneca will be impressed.
-
-
This was all i could find on Jennings...
(On if he had had contact with the restricted free agents) – “Yes, I’ve talked to almost all of the guys at different points whether it be when they were in the building, or by phone, by text, some type of conversation. You want them all to be here, its voluntary right now, and they have to make the decisions that they have to make. The thing that it does do for the guys that are here is it creates extra reps for them which is positive because we do have quite a few guys at positions. Whether it be Montario (Hardesty) getting some more reps or Chris Jennings or James Davis, Peyton Hillis, there’s more reps at the running back spot for those guys to learn and to show what they can do. Same thing at the linebacker spot, the safety spot. You want everyone here because there is really important learning going on and trying to build cohesiveness, things like that, but in their absence it does create a window for other guys to gain some extra reps, which is positive for them.”
This was from Mangini on May 19th...
-
-
holmgren, haskell, jake and seneca. yes, mccoy is definitely in a good spot for an up and coming qb. he has alot of great mentors around him, so let's hope he has what it takes to be a good qb in this league.
Eddie Haskell was a heck of a QB in his day.......just ask the Beaver.
Eddie Haskell was a heck of a QB in his day.......just ask the Beaver.
i was referring to gil haskell, holmgren's former oc with the seahawks and current senior advisor with the browns.
-
I think many of us are interested in what Wallace can do for us, especially with Mangini mentioning that he'll be a part of packages regardless of his status as a starter or not. I love them utlizing a man who could be another potential weapon for us. I still think fans who haven't seen a lot of Seneca will be impressed.
I think many of us are interested in what Wallace can do for us, especially with Mangini mentioning that he'll be a part of packages regardless of his status as a starter or not. I love them utlizing a man who could be another potential weapon for us. I still think fans who haven't seen a lot of Seneca will be impressed.
with Seneca's utilization i bet it opens up the possibility for the RATliffe to hang around a little longer.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login