Skip to content

5 Browns returning players who might shine in 2010

The Browns Board
7 5 1.1k
  • http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...s_returnin.html

    CLEVELAND, Ohio -- As Browns organized team activity practices head into their second week, news is scarce. This is the time for predictions and analysis.

    Thus, here is a list of five players returning from the 2009 roster who have the potential for the biggest improvement in impact on the team in 2010.

    • Brian Robiskie: The second-year receiver dressed for 11 games as a rookie and caught passes in only three of them. If one OTA practice open to the media is any indication, he should at least quintuple his season total of seven catches.

    • Ahtyba Rubin: The team was 4-1 after he took over for injured Shaun Rogers at nose tackle. Entering his third season, his emergence could move Rogers to right end in the three-man front.

    • Matt Roth: He had four sacks in the six games he played after joining the team via waivers from Miami on Nov. 25. His addition, plus the insertion of Rubin, improved the run defense immensely. If he would just play out the season and prove his short-term run was no fluke, his request for a long-term contract should be met.

    • Chansi Stuckey: He suffered culture shock after joining the Browns in the Braylon Edwards trade with the Jets on Oct. 7. He didn't catch a pass until his fourth game and wound up with 19 receptions. With a fresh re-start in the program, he should develop into a reliable slot receiver for an experienced quarterback like Jake Delhomme.

    • Evan Moore: From the time he was elevated from the practice squad for the 12th game, this 6-6 tight end proved to have the surest hands on the team. He finished with 12 catches in five games -- one more reception than free agent pickup Robert Royal had in 13 games. Moore should benefit from the addition of tight end Benjamin Watson and give Delhomme an additional option in red-zone situations

  • rubin was a pleasant suprise. he really contributed alot last season and he gives the browns options on the d-line.

    i don't know alot about evan moore, but he seems to have potential and i'm hoping he can be another steve heiden. steve was very underrated and was quite reliable on the field.

  • I liked what moore did for us in those last few games. He has a good size and presence and some firm hands unlike what Royal gave us. I hear that he has knee issues which have plagued him but I hope he can overcome them - he's still only 23, i think, so could have a decent future if he stays healthy. I have a feeling he will need tochange up a bit if he is to be as productive as he certainly was in the steelers game last year. Defenses had no idea what he was and I think were caught out by his inside runs and pace, if he starts this year I think they will be better prepared, but I guess that's not such a bad thing as it might open up the wings for Robbo and Mo Mass.

    I liked Roth - alot. I'd like to see him back - I like meat eating LBs. Just hope he sees that he needs to get his head down for a good full season before asking to get paid.

    Rubin at NT and Rogers on the edge - I'm sold.

    Stuckey - dunno. Didn't seem like anything more than a gap filler - could be wrong - perhaps with an upgraded QB he will produce better.

    I am feeling good about this season. Being realistic, I want, as a minimum, to come out of it with a feeling that we are a respected ball team doing the right things to get the franchise back to contender status - anything more is gravy - but I do like gravy!

  • rubin was a pleasant suprise. he really contributed alot last season and he gives the browns options on the d-line.

    i don't know alot about evan moore, but he seems to have potential and i'm hoping he can be another steve heiden. steve was very underrated and was quite reliable on the field.

    @sj_browns said:

    rubin was a pleasant suprise. he really contributed alot last season and he gives the browns options on the d-line.

    i don't know alot about evan moore, but he seems to have potential and i'm hoping he can be another steve heiden. steve was very underrated and was quite reliable on the field.

    I dont think Heiden was undrafted. I am pretty sure he was a late round pick for the Chargers and then Butch Davis traded for him.

  • I think he was a 4th round pick.

    Just looked it up....he was a 3rd round pick....#69 overall.

  • @sj_browns said:

    rubin was a pleasant suprise. he really contributed alot last season and he gives the browns options on the d-line.

    i don't know alot about evan moore, but he seems to have potential and i'm hoping he can be another steve heiden. steve was very underrated and was quite reliable on the field.

    I dont think Heiden was undrafted. I am pretty sure he was a late round pick for the Chargers and then Butch Davis traded for him.

    @jnuh said:

    I dont think Heiden was undrafted. I am pretty sure he was a late round pick for the Chargers and then Butch Davis traded for him.

    i wasn't saying moore was like heiden in that manner (drafted/undrafted). i was comparing their style of te and hoping moore could be reliable like heiden..

  • Evan Moore could be one of those guys who showed something but doesn't do anything more beyond what he showed us. I loved what i saw BUT he's got an uphill battle in terms of getting out on the field. He isn't going to beat out Watson and Alex Smith or stonehands will be a part of the blocking TE package. Hopefully he's healthy and coming into camp looking to show the Browns he can be a bigger part of their success.