Skip to content

Reasons Browns Will....

The Browns Board
3 2 1.1k
  • 5 Reasons the Browns Will Not Have a Losing Record in 2010

    http://www.nologoneeded.com/.a/6a00e5538b9...ee6bbc9f970b-pi

    By Aaron Ziraks

    NoLogoNeeded.com Staff Writer

    Twitter - @Z_NoLogoNeeded

    Like I have said in the past, the Kool-Aid is always icy cold and delicious this time of year. Last year at this time I felt really good about where the Browns were headed and felt Mangini would whip the players into shape. I think Mangini did that, but it took longer than I thought it would to undo Crennel's circus atmosphere. So maybe this is wishful thinking, but I also think the Browns are headed in the right direction. There are a lot of positives to look at for the 2010 season, so here are the 5 reasons why the Browns will play .500 football this season

    1. Consistency - I know this a very broad stroke, but I look at what the Browns had going on last year at the quarterback position and shake my head. Enter Mike Holmgren. Quarterback controversy was a hot button issue for him and he would have none of it. By bringing in Delhomme two things are accomplished that the Browns didn't have last year. First, everyone knows who the quarterback is, which seems like a forgone conclusion for most teams, but this can't be understated. Second, the Browns have someone that is a leader and a beloved locker room guy. Is Delhomme an elite quarterback? Of course not. But by everyone on the team knowing he is the guy and by leading a team that has had zero leadership at the most important position on the field, the Browns are in much better shape than they were a year ago at this time.

    2. Offensive Line - We all saw late last season what happens when the Browns line is clicking on all cylinders and the running backs are hitting the holes hard. Thomas, Steibach, Mack and Womack should be able to open holes all year long for Harrison, Hardesty and Hillis. The addition of Pashos will be an upgrade from last year because an orange construction barrel would be an upgrade over St. Clair. The Browns averaged 243 yards rushing over the final three games of 2009, all three of which were wins. This was even more impressive due to the fact the Browns were not even attempting to pass. This is a testimate to the offensive line being able to handle a stacked box and still shine. But the final three games were against the Chiefs, Raiders and Jaguars, you say......

    3. Schedule - I realize that rosters are not even decided yet, but I think we have a enough info to make a couple of rough estimates. I believe that if the Browns suited up right now, they are a better team than the Chiefs, Bills, Jaguars and Bucs. I am going to say these are games we win, and should win. Looking at the schedule, you never know if a team is going to have an off year or if injuries will kill them, but I do know scheduling matters. For example, the Browns get the Patriots at home after a bye week. The Patriots will be coming off a big 4pm game against the Vikings. I see a let down game and the Browns taking advantage. Plus, Mangini will no doubt have the team ready to play his former mentor. Another game I see the Browns taking is December 5th against the Dolphins. Miami will be coming back from a 4pm West Coast game at Oakland. In December the season starts to really take its toll and a long trip and a short week doesn't help a team prepare. The next game I think the Browns win is at Baltimore on December 26th. The Ravens will be coming off a huge late season clash with the New Orleans Saints and I can see a let down here. I also think that the Ravens will be resting guys for the playoffs at this point. The last game I have the Browns winning is at home in the final game of the season against the Steelers. If this game is for the Browns to finish .500 or even with a winning record, take it to the bank that the Browns beat the Steelers to end the season.

    4. Linebackers - I did a post earlier this offseason about the <A href="http://www.nologoneeded.com/no_logo_needed/2010/04/the-linebacker-carousel.html#tp">amount of linebackers the Browns have on the roster and where they may fit in the grand scheme of things. The group of Wimbley, Barton, Jackson and Bowens didn't get the job done last year, not to mention Barton and Jackson both suffered season ending injuries. By bringing in guys like Gocong, Fujita to pair with Roth, Benard and Trusnik the Browns are very deep at linebacker. This will give Rob Ryan the flexibility he likes to shift his packages and attack. Ever since the Browns moved to the 3-4 scheme, linebackers have been a serious concern. Hopefully this year the Browns have found a group that can keep opposing teams under 150 yards per game on the ground.

    5. Mike Holmgren - Now, I am not saying the presence of Mike Holmgren alone is going to win us a Super Bowl. However, the Big Show being brought in shows the team and city that Lerner is willing to do anything for the Browns to be a winner, well, accept get infront of a camera. The truth is that having a known football commmodity as the leader of our franchise gives the Browns credibility. With credibility comes a sense of pride. I think that this team knows the Browns plan on winning in the near future and they need to get on board if they want to be part of it. The mindset is changing in Cleveland and that is exactly what needed to happen for the Browns to get on the right track. I think this season will show that the Browns are definitely moving in the right direction.

  • I won't make predictions on won-loss record, but we most certainly will field a far superior product to last year. Last year we saw the "circus atmosphere" go & the returning players adjusting to the new, more disciplined style. This year, we'll see more progress plus an influx of much needed players in key positions.

    I'm really excited about what we'll see this year.

    Mike

  • I won't make predictions on won-loss record, but we most certainly will field a far superior product to last year. Last year we saw the "circus atmosphere" go & the returning players adjusting to the new, more disciplined style. This year, we'll see more progress plus an influx of much needed players in key positions.

    I'm really excited about what we'll see this year.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    I won't make predictions on won-loss record, but we most certainly will field a far superior product to last year. Last year we saw the "circus atmosphere" go & the returning players adjusting to the new, more disciplined style. This year, we'll see more progress plus an influx of much needed players in key positions.

    I'm really excited about what we'll see this year.

    Mike

    Me too Mike. We have better competition at every spot on the team which means better results, I love where we are at except unless we get a vet receiver or ours step up big time I'm still a little concerned there.