MEMORIAL DAY SALUTE
-
Terrific post, Riff.
I enjoyed the series a ton. The episodes involving the Battle of Peleliu were especially gripping.
And we're in agreement about The Wire as well. Simon's latest work on "Treme" has also been outstanding.
Thanks for the post, bud.
Beanpot
Terrific post, Riff.
I enjoyed the series a ton. The episodes involving the Battle of Peleliu were especially gripping.
And we're in agreement about The Wire as well. Simon's latest work on "Treme" has also been outstanding.
Thanks for the post, bud.
Beanpot
The Battle of Peleliu is looked at now as pretty much unnecessary given the lack of strategic value and the new entrenched fighting style of the Japs. That was the bloodiest battle of the Pacific and one that is rarely mentioned. Plus, they had no water.
-
Yeah, the "no water" part was especially compelling. I can't pretend to understand what it's like to be in combat, but I sure as hell can relate to the idea of being out of water. I mean, holy fukc. Not being a student (by any means) of military history, I find the lack of strategic gain to make that battle all the more fascinating.
Beanpot
-
-
I was really close to being a Marine but a knee injury forced me to choose a different path.
I have nothing but the greatest respect for the men and women who serve and have served our great country. Thank you for your contribution and sacrifice to protect us.
-
You know what really rubs me the wrong way: After September 11th happen all of a sudden Americans became patriotic. People flew flags and actually appreciated what our soldiers are doing for our country. I drove through my neighborhood and only saw 1 other flag flying besides mine. Are you telling me that even on memorial day people aernt flying flags. As someone mentioned above i challenge you to thank a soldier when you see one. Those that have never served know the sacrafices they make in order to defend our freedom. I pray that all of our soldiers return safe. God bless the USA!!!
-
You know what really rubs me the wrong way: After September 11th happen all of a sudden Americans became patriotic. People flew flags and actually appreciated what our soldiers are doing for our country. I drove through my neighborhood and only saw 1 other flag flying besides mine. Are you telling me that even on memorial day people aernt flying flags. As someone mentioned above i challenge you to thank a soldier when you see one. Those that have never served know the sacrafices they make in order to defend our freedom. I pray that all of our soldiers return safe. God bless the USA!!!
You know what really rubs me the wrong way: After September 11th happen all of a sudden Americans became patriotic. People flew flags and actually appreciated what our soldiers are doing for our country. I drove through my neighborhood and only saw 1 other flag flying besides mine. Are you telling me that even on memorial day people aernt flying flags. As someone mentioned above i challenge you to thank a soldier when you see one. Those that have never served know the sacrafices they make in order to defend our freedom. I pray that all of our soldiers return safe. God bless the USA!!!
does God Bless America mean fuique everyone else................so far the last two wars are against defenseless nation with no fighting capability and yet we have won neither..........maybe you should MAKE A PLEA TO SUPPORT THE TROOPS...........get them the hell outta useless wars that accomplish nothing but spending us broke on bullets
-
This old Vet salutes all the fine people serving in our Military now, & never forget those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
I also salute the Families of those currently deployed & pray that their loved ones return safely.
God Bless them ALL!
Mike
-
Thanks you to all who served or are serving this great nations. It's because of you that we have the freedom to talk football on the Internet.
-
How long did it take to get a WWII memorial in DC? 65 years?
May God Bless everyone who has made the choice to serve this nation.
How long did it take to get a WWII memorial in DC? 65 years?
May God Bless everyone who has made the choice to serve this nation.
Speaking of memorials, last year my son played in the National High School World Series in Lynchburg, VA. Before coming home, we made the trek both to Appomattox as well as to Bedford, VA. Obviously just about everyone knows what is in Appomattox, but in Bedford, VA, lies the National D-Day Memorial. We went to this...... after speaking to one of the volunteers, it pissed me off to know that the US Government does NOTHING for this place. It is all private funding and donations. Meaning in this economic downturn, it was coming closely to being closed for lack of funds.
The Govt can bail out idiotic bank loans and car manufacturers, but it cannot support what is arguably the one event of WWII that began to turn the tide and end the Hitler's dream. Unbelievable.....
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login