Skip to content

ONB

The Browns Board
51 13 4.1k
  • @riffer-x said:

    Stan (Aten) has been busting his balls for awhile now just getting this whole thing set up. Give him some time, he's pretty much always given everybody what they wanted, hence all the different forums and everything else.

    We can't ask for a better administrator.

    There once was a time that a lot of political discussion use to bust-out in here. Appeared that there were some really good political activistys here, intelligent and very interested in the deep subject. We deleted a few political rants for being off topic, and folks that worked real hard on those posts got bent. So, we started sending those posts to a folder called the 'Political Forum' and advised those that wanted that type of interest to go chase those posts there. Many did just that. Many very good Browns fans even settled into the political folder, almost never to be heard here again.

    Today?

    Today most have left the site for good because they couldn't get along in that off-beat folder and too many times we were chalked up as a 'Browns forum' anyhow, not a political site ... so those who became more interested in politics just shunned our site no matter how much history they had/have here with this Browns group.

    I've received numerous request for a 'General Forum', wanna guess how that'll ends up a year down the road?

    Our we gonna have to eventually hire a 'Hair Band Mod' to balance the mod who favors the 'Classics' groupees? Is one style gonna attempt to drown out the other style and both fill my PM box with solicitations of change? And with hours on end of my involvement, won't we just be viewed here as a 'Browns Forum' in the end and not really a major player on the music end?

    Sounds like a lot of wasted effort, and just more lost and dilluted members.

    The political forum right now is a mess. One side quit (left the site for a super secret forum) and one side has more assholes among them (by there own account) that it ain't even worth talking among those with like interest.

    We can't be everything to everyone, if you don't come here to talk football, I'm going to have to suggest you don't waste anyones time of setting you up a folder you will eventually shun because I didn't hire mod's soon enough, abundant enough, or those that favor the side of the topic to your liking.

    I guess what I am trying to say is that I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. "If I build it ... more headache will come"

    That's why I'm super, super slow at installing a General forum or a Rock-n-Roll Forum .... go see the political forum where now there is more discussion (bitching?) about the forum itself than there is on the subject topic.

    I'm seriously considering creating a folder for those who support Derek Anderson. That's more along the lines of the Browns, and something that gets smothered out here as being off-topic. I'd like to discuss what Derek Anderson can do for this team, but not here, not on this site.

    @atenears said:

    There once was a time that a lot of political discussion use to bust-out in here. Appeared that there were some really good political activistys here, intelligent and very interested in the deep subject. We deleted a few political rants for being off topic, and folks that worked real hard on those posts got bent. So, we started sending those posts to a folder called the 'Political Forum' and advised those that wanted that type of interest to go chase those posts there. Many did just that. Many very good Browns fans even settled into the political folder, almost never to be heard here again.

    Today?

    Today most have left the site for good because they couldn't get along in that off-beat folder and too many times we were chalked up as a 'Browns forum' anyhow, not a political site ... so those who became more interested in politics just shunned our site no matter how much history they had/have here with this Browns group.

    I've received numerous request for a 'General Forum', wanna guess how that'll ends up a year down the road?

    Our we gonna have to eventually hire a 'Hair Band Mod' to balance the mod who favors the 'Classics' groupees? Is one style gonna attempt to drown out the other style and both fill my PM box with solicitations of change? And with hours on end of my involvement, won't we just be viewed here as a 'Browns Forum' in the end and not really a major player on the music end?

    Sounds like a lot of wasted effort, and just more lost and dilluted members.

    The political forum right now is a mess.

    Stan, CREATING any forum for colicky people invites MORE colicky people. When they all clutter into 1 folder, they want you to deep 6 the TOP rating Jerry Springer Moshpit-level so our moderators can work OT as their Judge Judy 24/7. And dooes anyone want to take a stab at how many times they'll get thanked for dealing with the crybabiers?

    That's gay on so many levels I feel limpwristed just talking about it.

    BTW, our rock n rollers in here like Furns and Riffer and Listercat and a couple others are easy going folks that are happy with whatever you decide as they will tell you.

    - Tom F.

  • The Political forum is a whole other beast than a general discussion/music forum. I went over to the political column awhile back and left after a couple posts. That's what you get with politics so that's why there is a forum. If they fucked it up tough shit.

    I really don't see a forum discussing music, musicianship, off topic stuff etc. being that big of an issue, I really don't. What it does is keep the shit off the football side (BTW---save it on the DA bullpucky) where I'm pretty sure people like Peens don't want to hear about Metallica. I also don't see it as a forum that will be over used and taking away from the football. I don't plan on living there or anything, but when a new album comes out or something I'd like to be able to discuss it without interrupting the board.

    The OBR has the Watercooler where anything and everything is basically brought up, so maybe just keeping the board the way it is would be similar to that.

    If it's that much work, screw it. I don't know how hard it is to do these things.

  • The Political forum is a whole other beast than a general discussion/music forum. I went over to the political column awhile back and left after a couple posts. That's what you get with politics so that's why there is a forum. If they fucked it up tough shit.

    I really don't see a forum discussing music, musicianship, off topic stuff etc. being that big of an issue, I really don't. What it does is keep the shit off the football side (BTW---save it on the DA bullpucky) where I'm pretty sure people like Peens don't want to hear about Metallica. I also don't see it as a forum that will be over used and taking away from the football. I don't plan on living there or anything, but when a new album comes out or something I'd like to be able to discuss it without interrupting the board.

    The OBR has the Watercooler where anything and everything is basically brought up, so maybe just keeping the board the way it is would be similar to that.

    If it's that much work, screw it. I don't know how hard it is to do these things.

    @riffer-x said:

    If it's that much work, screw it. I don't know how hard it is to do these things.

    Not a lot of work to set it up, in fact I could set it up in the amount of time it takes me to finger type this post.

    I'm worried about dilluting things here. I don't care if you guys mix in off-topic shit, and the last thing I want to be is a cookie-cutter forum based off what others do. I don't read other forums purposly so that we don't become a clone.

    But if you want a General Forum and/or Rock Forum though, I'll do it. I'll PM you with a trade-off request.

  • I'll PM you with a trade-off request.----Stan

    Uh oh

    BTW, the Watercooler is football also, but everything else is brought up. That's what I was getting at.

  • The Political forum is a whole other beast than a general discussion/music forum. I went over to the political column awhile back and left after a couple posts. That's what you get with politics so that's why there is a forum. If they fucked it up tough shit.

    I really don't see a forum discussing music, musicianship, off topic stuff etc. being that big of an issue, I really don't. What it does is keep the shit off the football side (BTW---save it on the DA bullpucky) where I'm pretty sure people like Peens don't want to hear about Metallica. I also don't see it as a forum that will be over used and taking away from the football. I don't plan on living there or anything, but when a new album comes out or something I'd like to be able to discuss it without interrupting the board.

    The OBR has the Watercooler where anything and everything is basically brought up, so maybe just keeping the board the way it is would be similar to that.

    If it's that much work, screw it. I don't know how hard it is to do these things.

    @riffer-x said:

    The Political forum is a whole other beast than a general discussion/music forum. I went over to the political column awhile back and left after a couple posts. That's what you get with politics so that's why there is a forum. If they fucked it up tough shit.

    Not sure it matters much, but I just want to correct the false impression that one side of the aisle unilaterally left the political board. Actually, it was the people who are actually interested in discussing politics who left the board, leaving it to the people who want to talk about which Jewish Americans are spies for Israel, which country the NWO's about to invade, and where Obama's going to put his FEMA concentration camps.

    The reason the board went bad is that one poster - whose posting privileges have been suspended at least once - invited a bunch of his crazy friends over to the board. Because of that, it no longer was a place for Browns fans who love politics; it became a place for the black helicopter crowd to spread their goofy gospel.

    And when they're posting a ton of crazy shit, sane people like Russ don't want to join in on the discussion.

  • Thanks Aloysius, I guess my point was that we gave into request to start a political forum a few years back and for our efforts we gained a few assholes and lost great Browns contributors such as Heck, Tupa, WSS, Cal, John and probably others.

    Was it worth it? No, we should have just banned political discussion and kept everyone here.

    Because of the fiasco there, I've ignored requests for additional forums. Fair or not, I'm just giving everyone a glimpse of my view ... and killing the notion that i'm out of touch, lazy, or too busy.

  • Hey Furnier, along these lines of losing old regulars, did you see who was the latest to register? Hopsman71 ... remember him?

    LOL, I love it when old faces re-emerge. Hops attended a few tailgates and even came to my old 'Airshow Tailgate Parties'.

    It's great when the long lost find us again ... still holding out for Shane.

  • Thanks Aloysius, I guess my point was that we gave into request to start a political forum a few years back and for our efforts we gained a few assholes and lost great Browns contributors such as Heck, Tupa, WSS, Cal, John and probably others.

    Was it worth it? No, we should have just banned political discussion and kept everyone here.

    Because of the fiasco there, I've ignored requests for additional forums. Fair or not, I'm just giving everyone a glimpse of my view ... and killing the notion that i'm out of touch, lazy, or too busy.

    @atenears said:

    I'm just giving everyone a glimpse of my view ... and killing the notion that i'm out of touch, lazy, or too busy.

    Yeah, I don't think anyone who manages an incredible football board in their free time could be considered lazy.

    This is a great board. Not only is it well-managed, but it's got a solid lineup of really insightful posters.

    If we had the old board's emoticons, I'd put a thumbs up right here. Instead, this will have to do:

    ChuckNorrisThumbsUp.png

  • Hey Furnier, along these lines of losing old regulars, did you see who was the latest to register? Hopsman71 ... remember him?

    LOL, I love it when old faces re-emerge. Hops attended a few tailgates and even came to my old 'Airshow Tailgate Parties'.

    It's great when the long lost find us again ... still holding out for Shane.

    @atenears said:

    Hey Furnier, along these lines of losing old regulars, did you see who was the latest to register? Hopsman71 ... remember him?

    LOL, I love it when old faces re-emerge. Hops attended a few tailgates and even came to my old 'Airshow Tailgate Parties'.

    It's great when the long lost find us again ... still holding out for Shane.

    Sure do! In fact I was at one of the tailgates he came to. Great guy and he goes WAY back.

    I'd love to see Shane fall out of the woodwork. I've never seen such a regular solid poster just disappear that way.

    Doug

  • @riffer-x said:

    Stan (Aten) has been busting his balls for awhile now just getting this whole thing set up. Give him some time, he's pretty much always given everybody what they wanted, hence all the different forums and everything else.

    We can't ask for a better administrator.

    There once was a time that a lot of political discussion use to bust-out in here. Appeared that there were some really good political activistys here, intelligent and very interested in the deep subject. We deleted a few political rants for being off topic, and folks that worked real hard on those posts got bent. So, we started sending those posts to a folder called the 'Political Forum' and advised those that wanted that type of interest to go chase those posts there. Many did just that. Many very good Browns fans even settled into the political folder, almost never to be heard here again.

    Today?

    Today most have left the site for good because they couldn't get along in that off-beat folder and too many times we were chalked up as a 'Browns forum' anyhow, not a political site ... so those who became more interested in politics just shunned our site no matter how much history they had/have here with this Browns group.

    I've received numerous request for a 'General Forum', wanna guess how that'll ends up a year down the road?

    Our we gonna have to eventually hire a 'Hair Band Mod' to balance the mod who favors the 'Classics' groupees? Is one style gonna attempt to drown out the other style and both fill my PM box with solicitations of change? And with hours on end of my involvement, won't we just be viewed here as a 'Browns Forum' in the end and not really a major player on the music end?

    Sounds like a lot of wasted effort, and just more lost and dilluted members.

    The political forum right now is a mess. One side quit (left the site for a super secret forum) and one side has more assholes among them (by there own account) that it ain't even worth talking among those with like interest.

    We can't be everything to everyone, if you don't come here to talk football, I'm going to have to suggest you don't waste anyones time of setting you up a folder you will eventually shun because I didn't hire mod's soon enough, abundant enough, or those that favor the side of the topic to your liking.

    I guess what I am trying to say is that I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. "If I build it ... more headache will come"

    That's why I'm super, super slow at installing a General forum or a Rock-n-Roll Forum .... go see the political forum where now there is more discussion (bitching?) about the forum itself than there is on the subject topic.

    I'm seriously considering creating a folder for those who support Derek Anderson. That's more along the lines of the Browns, and something that gets smothered out here as being off-topic. I'd like to discuss what Derek Anderson can do for this team, but not here, not on this site.

    @atenears said:

    The political forum right now is a mess. One side quit (left the site for a super secret forum) and one side has more assholes among them (by there own account) that it ain't even worth talking among those with like interest.

    First off, you're doing a terrific job with this site. Just like all of your other sites.

    Second off, "one side" didn't just get up and leave the political board. Just about everyone with a pulse and the ability to communicate with others did that. Had everything to do with the cliental and nothing to do with the ownership.

    Beanpot

    third off - the Tribe Board continues to kick serious ass!

  • @atenears said:

    Hey Furnier, along these lines of losing old regulars, did you see who was the latest to register? Hopsman71 ... remember him?

    LOL, I love it when old faces re-emerge. Hops attended a few tailgates and even came to my old 'Airshow Tailgate Parties'.

    It's great when the long lost find us again ... still holding out for Shane.

    Sure do! In fact I was at one of the tailgates he came to. Great guy and he goes WAY back.

    I'd love to see Shane fall out of the woodwork. I've never seen such a regular solid poster just disappear that way.

    Doug

    @furnier said:

    Sure do! In fact I was at one of the tailgates he came to. Great guy and he goes WAY back.

    I'd love to see Shane fall out of the woodwork. I've never seen such a regular solid poster just disappear that way.

    Doug

    Dencyguy was a casuality at one time, I'm thrilled everytime I see him post ... and we quickly pinned him as the College football Mod so we hopefully wouldn't lose him again.

    Gumbo is now officially MIA. Although HagII and I saw him on TV the other day, it appears he is a camera man for Channel 5 now (must have fled Ch. 3). He looked the same ... I gotta look up his old numbers and see what the big fella is up to (besides fishing ).

    Chuck (Ski) would be another that is a HOF'er missing. Even his wife cooked us pie for the tailgate and attended with her daughter and without him. Were you with us the time we all had lunch at that Chinese buffet in Berea after a training camp practice?

    Prima would be another. Went from flying to Cleveland every year to disappearing.

    I'll kick Zippy's ass if we go a year without his dumbass checking in.

    RIP JJ & fatdad.

  • @atenears said:

    The political forum right now is a mess. One side quit (left the site for a super secret forum) and one side has more assholes among them (by there own account) that it ain't even worth talking among those with like interest.

    First off, you're doing a terrific job with this site. Just like all of your other sites.

    Second off, "one side" didn't just get up and leave the political board. Just about everyone with a pulse and the ability to communicate with others did that. Had everything to do with the cliental and nothing to do with the ownership.

    Beanpot

    third off - the Tribe Board continues to kick serious ass!

    @beanpot said:

    First off, you're doing a terrific job with this site. Just like all of your other sites.

    Oh, you've seen the changes with the youth Baseball site?

    @beanpot said:

    Second off, "one side" didn't just get up and leave the political board. Just about everyone with a pulse and the ability to communicate with others did that. Had everything to do with the cliental and nothing to do with the ownership.

    We use to handle assholes in house, now we run? Sissys.

    @beanpot said:

    Beanpot

    third off - the Tribe Board continues to kick serious ass!

    Do you have room over there for a couple of head bangers?

  • I've only been here a few years but a few names I haven't seen for awhile are Daddybull and Guardian. Hope it isn't health related.