2009 backup QB
-
If not DA or Gradkowski, our options in FA are:
losman
orton
grossman
boller
batch
ramsey
See anything you like?
-
Not really, but I'd accept Gradkowski (depending on how he looks this season, if he gets a shot) or Boller (vomit) over the others, save for Orton who may start in CHI next season believe it or not. As an aside, why not audition Gradkowski now instead of starting Dorsey???
Grossman and Losman are OK talents but way too turnover-prone, Batch is ancient, and Ramsey just plain stinks.
-
Not really, but I'd accept Gradkowski (depending on how he looks this season, if he gets a shot) or Boller (vomit) over the others, save for Orton who may start in CHI next season believe it or not. As an aside, why not audition Gradkowski now instead of starting Dorsey???
Grossman and Losman are OK talents but way too turnover-prone, Batch is ancient, and Ramsey just plain stinks.
mz. said:
Not really, but I'd accept Gradkowski (depending on how he looks this season, if he gets a shot) or Boller (vomit) over the others, save for Orton who may start in CHI next season believe it or not. As an aside, why not audition Gradkowski now instead of starting Dorsey???Grossman and Losman are OK talents but way too turnover-prone, Batch is ancient, and Ramsey just plain stinks.
Wouldnt mind having Batch if he brings some insider info...
-
@shepwrite said:
Losman is a damn good quarterback when judged on the backup scale.When I think about the perfect backup, I picture someone who manages the offense without taking too many risks. Losman, to me, is the exact opposite of that. But he is the best "talent" of that bunch, I'd agree.
-
Whoever it is.......about mid-way through the season he'll be the most popular player on the team......

Whoever it is.......about mid-way through the season he'll be the most popular player on the team......

Exactly why keeping Quinn and DA again is just a PR nightmare.
I'm still not opposed to seeing how KD does. Let's see if he can handle it.
Here's the '09 QB depth chart:
1. Quinn
2. Dorsey
3. Gradkowski
4. Cribbs
5. Zastadil
6. JJ
7. Heiden
8. Harrison
-
I wouldn't mind seeing us bring in Dan Orlovsky. He didn't exactly light it up in Detroit this season, but his QBR (76.7) was better than Kitna's (72.2) and Culpepper's (53.6!).
Ideally, I'd have him compete with Gradkowski to be the #3 signal caller. But Orlovsky wouldn't come here for that, and he's probably good enough to serve as the #2.
And if the Browns end up "rebuilding" this offseason, I'd actually prefer we bring in a young guy like Orlovsky over a veteran QB who's only going to be here for a year or two.
-
Some fun with numbers:
In the four games Orlovsky started this year, he completed 57% of his passes, threw for 4 touchdowns and 2 INT's. And his passer rating was a respectable 83.8.
It's a small sample size, but it could be enough to justify bringing him in.
One possible knock against him is that he's more of a stationary pocket passer than an athletic QB type. If our system next year is going to revolve around a lot of QB rollouts, then he may not be our (backup) guy.
-
I'm a Gradkowski fan, I think he can ball. In a WCO that we'll be running with lots of designed roll outs with Quinn, it fits right into Grad's game. He's a good athlete who likes to create. It's true he has small hands and not the greatest arm, but he'll be able to function in this scheme next year and they should be able to run the same system if Queen goes down.
I'm ready for playmakers instead of game managers who can't really game manage.
-
I figure the new coaching staff would like an extremely mobile and smart qb, who has thrown for 398 yards vs the ravens
one year.
Eh, what'shisnname, would be a great backup qb, that would be better than anyone else on the given list....
-
I'm thinking the backup QB in '09 will likely be Quinn.
DA - gone
Crennell - gone
New coach demands a decent veteran QB brought in, and after fall realizes BQ is little more than a backup and goes with the vet.
-
I'm thinking the backup QB in '09 will likely be Quinn.
DA - gone
Crennell - gone
New coach demands a decent veteran QB brought in, and after fall realizes BQ is little more than a backup and goes with the vet.
I'm thinking the backup QB in '09 will likely be Quinn
Name the FA QB he'll be backing up.
Grossman? Losman? Orton??????????
I realize your a DA guy, but there really isn't an alternative to Quinn at this point. He's getting his chance.
-
I'm thinking the backup QB in '09 will likely be Quinn
Name the FA QB he'll be backing up.
Grossman? Losman? Orton??????????
I realize your a DA guy, but there really isn't an alternative to Quinn at this point. He's getting his chance.
mz. said:
Name the FA QB he'll be backing up.Grossman? Losman? Orton??????????
I realize your a DA guy, but there really isn't an alternative to Quinn at this point. He's getting his chance.
Heck, they might even bring in McNabb or give Testeverde a shout. Point being, Quinn's gonna have to prove himself to another staff and the one most of you guys are bitchin' about didn't have him as their first choice. I doubt any new coach is going to want to come in here knowing their only option is an unproven 3rd year guy.
-
Some fun with numbers:
In the four games Orlovsky started this year, he completed 57% of his passes, threw for 4 touchdowns and 2 INT's. And his passer rating was a respectable 83.8.
It's a small sample size, but it could be enough to justify bringing him in.
One possible knock against him is that he's more of a stationary pocket passer than an athletic QB type. If our system next year is going to revolve around a lot of QB rollouts, then he may not be our (backup) guy.
Aloysius said:
In the four games Orlovsky started this year, he completed 57% of his passes, threw for 4 touchdowns and 2 INT's. And his passer rating was a respectable 83.8.But don't forget that Orlovsky and Derek Anderson are golfing buddies. Could make for some more bad karma for Quinn.
-
mz. said:
Name the FA QB he'll be backing up.Grossman? Losman? Orton??????????
I realize your a DA guy, but there really isn't an alternative to Quinn at this point. He's getting his chance.
Heck, they might even bring in McNabb or give Testeverde a shout. Point being, Quinn's gonna have to prove himself to another staff and the one most of you guys are bitchin' about didn't have him as their first choice. I doubt any new coach is going to want to come in here knowing their only option is an unproven 3rd year guy.
Heck, they might even bring in McNabb or give Testeverde a shout. Point being, Quinn's gonna have to prove himself to another staff and the one most of you guys are bitchin' about didn't have him as their first choice. I doubt any new coach is going to want to come in here knowing their only option is an unproven 3rd year guy.
There's no way McNabb comes here, man. Never. What would the point be?
And I realize DA rationalizers are desperate and all, but did you actually drop Vinny Testaverde as an option? What's wrong with Don Strock???? Mike Pagel????
-
Heck, they might even bring in McNabb or give Testeverde a shout. Point being, Quinn's gonna have to prove himself to another staff and the one most of you guys are bitchin' about didn't have him as their first choice. I doubt any new coach is going to want to come in here knowing their only option is an unproven 3rd year guy.
There's no way McNabb comes here, man. Never. What would the point be?
And I realize DA rationalizers are desperate and all, but did you actually drop Vinny Testaverde as an option? What's wrong with Don Strock???? Mike Pagel????
mz. said:
And I realize DA rationalizers are desperate and all, but did you actually drop Vinny Testaverde as an option? What's wrong with Don Strock???? Mike Pagel????
Jim Kelly, Boomer, Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham?
-
I mean, let's be realistic here, guys.
DA is as good as gone.
The free agent market is dogshit.
Quinn is getting his chance. Who knows what the result will be, but 2009's the time to find out.
Anything else (DA stays, we sign a crap veteran to start) really is nothing but pure hogwash.
-
Give the Donald a call, I'm sure Strock's somewhere in Florida golfing with a beer in one hand and a toddy in the other, gut hanging at John Daly level.
You could use a strap on with one of DA's wrist bands, except Strock would only need about half the info written down for him.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login