Skip to content

Official Draft Thread

The Browns Board
111 18 5.7k
  • I love K2.

    When healthy the guy's a beast.

    Problem is he's damaged goods who is pretty high strung during games, as of late he's cost us on the field as much as he's helped.

    He's not going to be around that much longer, the damage in his knee is pretty severe, how many seasons do you think we've got in him?

    If his value is peaked and we're not going to keep getting production out of him isn't it best we get something while we can?

    REMEMBER, the NFL is a business first, loyalty costs too much.

  • Back to the Crazy Al drafts Taylor Mays scenario, here's PFW on the future of Michael Huff:

    Raiders FS Michael Huff was benched earlier this season in favor of backup Hiram Eugene, and he remains firmly planted as the No. 2 on the depth chart, even though Eugene isn’t blowing observers away with his play. Sources in Oakland say the Raiders could revisit the option of trading Huff, the team’s first-round pick in 2006, or perhaps even consider cutting him in the offseason.

    If that's the case, then a sub-4.4 40 could put Mays at the top of the Raiders' draft board (though WR and LT are definitely bigger needs).

  • Back to the Crazy Al drafts Taylor Mays scenario, here's PFW on the future of Michael Huff:

    Raiders FS Michael Huff was benched earlier this season in favor of backup Hiram Eugene, and he remains firmly planted as the No. 2 on the depth chart, even though Eugene isn’t blowing observers away with his play. Sources in Oakland say the Raiders could revisit the option of trading Huff, the team’s first-round pick in 2006, or perhaps even consider cutting him in the offseason.

    If that's the case, then a sub-4.4 40 could put Mays at the top of the Raiders' draft board (though WR and LT are definitely bigger needs).

    Aloysius said:

    Back to the Crazy Al drafts Taylor Mays scenario, here's PFW on the future of Michael Huff:

    If that's the case, then a sub-4.4 40 could put Mays at the top of the Raiders' draft board (though WR and LT are definitely bigger needs).

    I always thought Huff was over-rated coming out of college. I seen him go sissified and get out of the way of ball carriers, play chase, or step aside and try to tackle from the side, instead of head-on. This has been a common problem with our own safeties since returning to the league in 99'. If we do make a few straight on tackles, they've resulted in injuries.

    I want a bruiser ... a 'lights-out' hitter and enforcer over the middle. An eraser, that wipes away the mistakes of our putrid LB corp in both coverage and run support.

    I put a lot of emphasis into both safety positions, something we have not done as a team or philosphy since returning to the league.

    I doubt I'd pay Sean Jones a bonus to see if he could regain some form, I'd like to find our guy in the draft (someday).

  • in the last three weeks of the season, the raiders play new england at home, houston at home and then go on the road against tampa bay. they won't win against NE. it's possible, but very improbable, that they could somehow win against houston, but i don't really see it happening. the texans can put up too many points and the raiders can't score any.

    however, it's possible that TB could be in a position to rest their starters in week 17. if that happens, it would be the best scenario for the raiders to get their fourth win and possibly let us slip ahead of them in the draft.

  • Below are the rankings of some of the players we have been following (Scouts, Inc/Kiper/Scot Wright...average) (only seniors are ranked by Kiper & Wright)

    Aaron Curry (6/1/2...3)

    Maualuga (12/3/4...6)

    Cushing (21/6/15...14)

    Orakpo (14/11/9...11)

    Mays (29/na/na....29)

    Selvie (26/na/na...26)

    Laurinaitis (19/16/5...13)

    Chung (56/31/na...31) talked about as 2nd round choice

    Mack (42/15/19...25)

    Out of these players...picking 8th (probably)....we will be looking at Curry/Maualuga/Orakpo most likely. Two are considered to be OLB's....1 an ILB. May depend on how the coaches feel about Bell. Also, may be hinged on who we go with in the 2nd round...if we are looking at a hitter like Chung we may go OLB. Will be interesting.

  • Sleeper ILB:

    Jasper Brinkley, Southern Carolina

    6'2" 270, 4.70 40

    He is coming off a knee injury in 2007...but was a DOMINANT player in 2006...and looks to be back again this year.

    Here is a nice video of him:

    He might be a later round steel...

  • based on WPB's metric, it seems the best value we can get is orakpo. if he didn't have nagging injuries, though they're somewhat minor, i'd be fine with it.

  • Below are the rankings of some of the players we have been following (Scouts, Inc/Kiper/Scot Wright...average) (only seniors are ranked by Kiper & Wright)

    Aaron Curry (6/1/2...3)

    Maualuga (12/3/4...6)

    Cushing (21/6/15...14)

    Orakpo (14/11/9...11)

    Mays (29/na/na....29)

    Selvie (26/na/na...26)

    Laurinaitis (19/16/5...13)

    Chung (56/31/na...31) talked about as 2nd round choice

    Mack (42/15/19...25)

    Out of these players...picking 8th (probably)....we will be looking at Curry/Maualuga/Orakpo most likely. Two are considered to be OLB's....1 an ILB. May depend on how the coaches feel about Bell. Also, may be hinged on who we go with in the 2nd round...if we are looking at a hitter like Chung we may go OLB. Will be interesting.

    @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    Out of these players...picking 8th (probably)....we will be looking at Curry/Maualuga/Orakpo most likely. Two are considered to be OLB's....1 an ILB.

    I'd disagree a little with you there. Though Curry plays 4-3 OLB at Wake, he'd probably fit best as an ILB in a 3-4.

    He could play some 3-4 OLB, but I'm sure he's good enough of a pass rusher to do it full-time. Kind of like Bart Scott, only (I think) better.

  • Here's good highlight reel of Curry from the Virginia game earlier this year (11/07):

    It shows how big a playmaker he is: 1 FF, 1 fumble recovery (great play!), a QB hit that led to a pick, a couple of open-field tackles, and one TFL in the red zone.

    Put him next to D'Qwell, and you've got two playmakers in the middle of your defense.

  • I haven't seen a lot of him, but I really don't want Orakpo. It seems like the worst thing a 5 or 6 win team should do is draft a specialist player. Not to mention the fact that every profile of him sounds exactly like Vernon Gholston's (who has 12 tackles, 0 sacks this year).

    I think we have to get a true impact player. QB, RB, ILB. Someone who's in just about every play. Obviously the Browns won't be drafting a QB so it's between Maualuga, Curry, and Beanie for me. Yeah, I like Harrison too but our running game is terrible. I also don't like the idea of spending a top 10 pick on an RB in theory, but I just don't think anyone else can make an impact like Beanie could for our offense.

    Definitely wouldn't complain about getting one of the stud LBs either. I think my order would be Wells-Curry-Maualuga

  • That is more or less my feelings Rudy....I might add 1 of the 2 corners in this draft...Jenkins and Davis.

    The DE is maybe a bit undersized at 6'3"....250.....

    Tough choice ahead.

  • I haven't seen a lot of him, but I really don't want Orakpo. It seems like the worst thing a 5 or 6 win team should do is draft a specialist player. Not to mention the fact that every profile of him sounds exactly like Vernon Gholston's (who has 12 tackles, 0 sacks this year).

    I think we have to get a true impact player. QB, RB, ILB. Someone who's in just about every play. Obviously the Browns won't be drafting a QB so it's between Maualuga, Curry, and Beanie for me. Yeah, I like Harrison too but our running game is terrible. I also don't like the idea of spending a top 10 pick on an RB in theory, but I just don't think anyone else can make an impact like Beanie could for our offense.

    Definitely wouldn't complain about getting one of the stud LBs either. I think my order would be Wells-Curry-Maualuga

    @cimo. said:

    It seems like the worst thing a 5 or 6 win team should do is draft a specialist player.

    never really thought about it like that, but look what patrick willis did on a terrible 49er team. dude's the key to their whole D and a stud. would love to have someone like him.

  • Patrick Willis was a solid backer from Ole' Miss...maybe the top in that draft...nothing specialized about him.

    This guy from Texas might be more a tweener type. Maybe too slow for a backer role, maybe a bit small for a true DE role.

  • right. orakpo's a pass rusher, but curry's just kind of an all-around dude, it would seem. tackles everything, makes plays. kinda like patrick willis did.

    i'm really starting to think that curry's the way we have to go, despite my affinity for mays.

  • Glad to hear you're coming around, JewDago.

    Actually, Patrick Willis is the guy Curry reminds me of. Though Willis may be a little more athletic (4.37 40 at his pro day), Curry's probably got better instincts.

  • 2008 DICK BUTKUS AWARD WINNER: E.E. Smith High School graduate Aaron Curry has earned one of college football’s most prestigious awards. Curry, a senior at Wake Forest, was informed Tuesday he’s the winner of the 2008 Dick Butkus Award which is awarded annually to the nation’s top linebacker. Butkus, who is both a college and NFL Hall of Fame member, made the announcement in Winston-Salem during a regularly scheduled press conference called to discuss the Deacons postseason bowl game. The 6-foot-3, 247-pound Curry led Wake Forest this season in tackles (101) and tackles for loss (15). He also collected 2.5 sacks, broke up three passes, recovered three fumbles and made one interception in helping the Deacons to a 7-5 finish and a berth in the Congressional Bowl on Dec. 20 against Navy. Seven times in 12 games this season Curry paced Wake Forest in tackles, including a career-high 16 stops against rival Duke. The performance had already earned Curry first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors. He is also a finalist for the Lott Trophy which goes to the nation’s top defensive player.
  • Here's a good article about one of my favorite 3-4 LB prospects, South Carolina junior Eric Norwood.

    828-170-ericnorwood.lead_art_horizontal.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

    USC standout named to All-SEC first team after making switch to linebacker

  • Norwood is interesting...but I still like Jasper Brinkley from USC better. He is the same size....and before his injury...noted often in the same sentence as Maualuga. He is known as a run stuffer...and expectations are that given another year he will be back at 100%...

    He should be able to be drafted in rds 3 or 4...so talk about a steal.

    From WalterFootball.com

    # Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina

    Height: 6-2. Weight: 267.

    Projected 40 Time: 4.70.

    Projected Round (2009): 5-6.

    12/7/08: Jasper Brinkley has 54 tackles, five TFL and 2.5 sacks... not bad for a guy coming off a nasty knee injury.

    5/11/08: Jasper Brinkley was a late first, early second-round prospect before suffering a nasty injury during the 2007 season. He has to prove himself all over again this year.

    2007: Jasper Brinkley is out for the year with a knee injury. He may apply for a medical redshirt and return to South Carolina in 2008.

    A member of the All-SEC First Team, Brinkley is a monstrous linebacker who will be able to play numerous positions on an NFL team because of his impressive size and speed.

    I think his numbers at the combine are going to send him up higher than the 5/6 they are calling for him....which is why I am saying 3/4. He is a complete beast.

    He was also noted by Todd McShay for having the best HANDS at MLB....which he attributes to the ability to shed blockers and dominate the line of scrimmage.

  • Yeah, I like both of SC's linebackers. I wouldn't mind having both of them, but I'd prefer Norwood to Brinkley.

    Brinkley's a hard hitter whose inadequacies in coverage probably make him exclusively a 3-4 ILB, kind of like Beau Bell. And like Bell, the combination of poor change of direction & knee problems worries me a bit.

    Norwood's a more athletic guy who's proven his versatility, being an All-SEC defensive end and linebacker in their 4-2-5 alignment. Most site have him playing 3-4 OLB in the pro's, but I think his best position may be 3-4 ILB.

    He's a poor man's Adalius Thomas, something our LB core could definitely use.

    Interesting that McShay would say that about Brinkley. When I watched SC games this year, I was impressed more with how Norwood shed blocks. And nfldraftscout included this in their profile of Brinkley:

    Too often looks to slip blocks instead of using his size advantage. Struggles with his hand placement and is slow to disengage.

    Like I said, I'd take either one of these guys - Norwood in Round 2 (if he declares), Brinkley in Round 4 (or later). But I definitely think Norwood would be the better 3-4 ILB, and he's probably the only one of the two who could stay on the field all three downs.

  • Another thing I like about Norwood: he doesn't let chatting with Erin Andrews get in the way of respecting the alma mater.