Official Draft Thread
-
Below are the rankings of some of the players we have been following (Scouts, Inc/Kiper/Scot Wright...average) (only seniors are ranked by Kiper & Wright)
Aaron Curry (6/1/2...3)
Maualuga (12/3/4...6)
Cushing (21/6/15...14)
Orakpo (14/11/9...11)
Mays (29/na/na....29)
Selvie (26/na/na...26)
Laurinaitis (19/16/5...13)
Chung (56/31/na...31) talked about as 2nd round choice
Mack (42/15/19...25)
Out of these players...picking 8th (probably)....we will be looking at Curry/Maualuga/Orakpo most likely. Two are considered to be OLB's....1 an ILB. May depend on how the coaches feel about Bell. Also, may be hinged on who we go with in the 2nd round...if we are looking at a hitter like Chung we may go OLB. Will be interesting.
Out of these players...picking 8th (probably)....we will be looking at Curry/Maualuga/Orakpo most likely. Two are considered to be OLB's....1 an ILB.
I'd disagree a little with you there. Though Curry plays 4-3 OLB at Wake, he'd probably fit best as an ILB in a 3-4.
He could play some 3-4 OLB, but I'm sure he's good enough of a pass rusher to do it full-time. Kind of like Bart Scott, only (I think) better.
-
Here's good highlight reel of Curry from the Virginia game earlier this year (11/07):
It shows how big a playmaker he is: 1 FF, 1 fumble recovery (great play!), a QB hit that led to a pick, a couple of open-field tackles, and one TFL in the red zone.
Put him next to D'Qwell, and you've got two playmakers in the middle of your defense.
-
I haven't seen a lot of him, but I really don't want Orakpo. It seems like the worst thing a 5 or 6 win team should do is draft a specialist player. Not to mention the fact that every profile of him sounds exactly like Vernon Gholston's (who has 12 tackles, 0 sacks this year).
I think we have to get a true impact player. QB, RB, ILB. Someone who's in just about every play. Obviously the Browns won't be drafting a QB so it's between Maualuga, Curry, and Beanie for me. Yeah, I like Harrison too but our running game is terrible. I also don't like the idea of spending a top 10 pick on an RB in theory, but I just don't think anyone else can make an impact like Beanie could for our offense.
Definitely wouldn't complain about getting one of the stud LBs either. I think my order would be Wells-Curry-Maualuga
-
That is more or less my feelings Rudy....I might add 1 of the 2 corners in this draft...Jenkins and Davis.
The DE is maybe a bit undersized at 6'3"....250.....
Tough choice ahead.
-
I haven't seen a lot of him, but I really don't want Orakpo. It seems like the worst thing a 5 or 6 win team should do is draft a specialist player. Not to mention the fact that every profile of him sounds exactly like Vernon Gholston's (who has 12 tackles, 0 sacks this year).
I think we have to get a true impact player. QB, RB, ILB. Someone who's in just about every play. Obviously the Browns won't be drafting a QB so it's between Maualuga, Curry, and Beanie for me. Yeah, I like Harrison too but our running game is terrible. I also don't like the idea of spending a top 10 pick on an RB in theory, but I just don't think anyone else can make an impact like Beanie could for our offense.
Definitely wouldn't complain about getting one of the stud LBs either. I think my order would be Wells-Curry-Maualuga
-
Patrick Willis was a solid backer from Ole' Miss...maybe the top in that draft...nothing specialized about him.
This guy from Texas might be more a tweener type. Maybe too slow for a backer role, maybe a bit small for a true DE role.
-
Glad to hear you're coming around, JewDago.
Actually, Patrick Willis is the guy Curry reminds me of. Though Willis may be a little more athletic (4.37 40 at his pro day), Curry's probably got better instincts.
-
2008 DICK BUTKUS AWARD WINNER: E.E. Smith High School graduate Aaron Curry has earned one of college football’s most prestigious awards. Curry, a senior at Wake Forest, was informed Tuesday he’s the winner of the 2008 Dick Butkus Award which is awarded annually to the nation’s top linebacker. Butkus, who is both a college and NFL Hall of Fame member, made the announcement in Winston-Salem during a regularly scheduled press conference called to discuss the Deacons postseason bowl game. The 6-foot-3, 247-pound Curry led Wake Forest this season in tackles (101) and tackles for loss (15). He also collected 2.5 sacks, broke up three passes, recovered three fumbles and made one interception in helping the Deacons to a 7-5 finish and a berth in the Congressional Bowl on Dec. 20 against Navy. Seven times in 12 games this season Curry paced Wake Forest in tackles, including a career-high 16 stops against rival Duke. The performance had already earned Curry first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors. He is also a finalist for the Lott Trophy which goes to the nation’s top defensive player.
-
Here's a good article about one of my favorite 3-4 LB prospects, South Carolina junior Eric Norwood.
USC standout named to All-SEC first team after making switch to linebacker
-
Norwood is interesting...but I still like Jasper Brinkley from USC better. He is the same size....and before his injury...noted often in the same sentence as Maualuga. He is known as a run stuffer...and expectations are that given another year he will be back at 100%...
He should be able to be drafted in rds 3 or 4...so talk about a steal.
From WalterFootball.com
# Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina
Height: 6-2. Weight: 267.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Projected Round (2009): 5-6.
12/7/08: Jasper Brinkley has 54 tackles, five TFL and 2.5 sacks... not bad for a guy coming off a nasty knee injury.
5/11/08: Jasper Brinkley was a late first, early second-round prospect before suffering a nasty injury during the 2007 season. He has to prove himself all over again this year.
2007: Jasper Brinkley is out for the year with a knee injury. He may apply for a medical redshirt and return to South Carolina in 2008.
A member of the All-SEC First Team, Brinkley is a monstrous linebacker who will be able to play numerous positions on an NFL team because of his impressive size and speed.
I think his numbers at the combine are going to send him up higher than the 5/6 they are calling for him....which is why I am saying 3/4. He is a complete beast.
He was also noted by Todd McShay for having the best HANDS at MLB....which he attributes to the ability to shed blockers and dominate the line of scrimmage.
-
Yeah, I like both of SC's linebackers. I wouldn't mind having both of them, but I'd prefer Norwood to Brinkley.
Brinkley's a hard hitter whose inadequacies in coverage probably make him exclusively a 3-4 ILB, kind of like Beau Bell. And like Bell, the combination of poor change of direction & knee problems worries me a bit.
Norwood's a more athletic guy who's proven his versatility, being an All-SEC defensive end and linebacker in their 4-2-5 alignment. Most site have him playing 3-4 OLB in the pro's, but I think his best position may be 3-4 ILB.
He's a poor man's Adalius Thomas, something our LB core could definitely use.
Interesting that McShay would say that about Brinkley. When I watched SC games this year, I was impressed more with how Norwood shed blocks. And nfldraftscout included this in their profile of Brinkley:
Too often looks to slip blocks instead of using his size advantage. Struggles with his hand placement and is slow to disengage.
Like I said, I'd take either one of these guys - Norwood in Round 2 (if he declares), Brinkley in Round 4 (or later). But I definitely think Norwood would be the better 3-4 ILB, and he's probably the only one of the two who could stay on the field all three downs.
-
Another thing I like about Norwood: he doesn't let chatting with Erin Andrews get in the way of respecting the alma mater.
-
I agree with the flexibility of Norwood...but if we go Curry in round 1....you would basically be taking the same player twice. They are both about 250 and a OLB with the ability to play inside....good coverage....but not really a RUN STUFFING type.
If we go Maualuga in rd 1...then Norwood would be a good compliment...but if we go Curry....I would love to have the big stuffer to go with him.
The comparison between Bell and Brinkley makes some sense....but Bell was never considered a top round guy (Brinkley was bottom rd 1 until his knee, which he has come back from nicely), and Bell is also about 20 lbs lighter than Brinkley.
Anyway, both are very good later prospects. It will be interesting.
I would love to see:
Rd 1: Curry
Rd 2: Chung
Rd 4: Brinkley
Talk about beefing up the defense.
Then, anything we get for DA and/or K2 could be used for the OL/WR/RB slots.
-
Not sure I agree with your "RUN STUFFING type" distinction. I think Curry & Norwood are actually very different players, with Curry being more rangy & Norwood more physical.
The common trait between them is ILB-OLB versatility, but their similar weights (Curry: 247, Norwood: 253) actually belie a big physical difference: Curry's about 2" taller. Norwood's actually a lot stouter (physically) than Curry.
Also, I don't think it's right to say that Bell was never considered a Round 1 guy. This is from February of last year:
After dominating the Mountain West Conference, UNLV inside linebacker Beau Bell was characterized as a potential first round pick by some scouts. Before succumbing to a knee sprain at the Senior Bowl, however, Bell's stock had already been injured. Though he's explosive in a straight line, Bell struggled changing directions, meaning he is strictly a two down run defender at the next level, and thus, likely a middle round selection.
And I always worry about picking guys based on the possibility that they'll regain the speed & athleticism that injuries stole from them. The Chargers did that when they drafted Anthony Waters in the 3rd Round of the '07 draft, and so far he has 2 career NFL tackles.
-
I think damajuki brought him up before, so I'll note that Notre Dame free safety David Bruton has been invited to the Senior Bowl.
As of now, nfldraftscout projects that Bruton will be taken in Round 5. They compare him to former Buckeye Nate Salley, who's currently a backup for the Carolina Panthers.
-
i'm really starting to think that curry's the way we have to go, despite my affinity for mays.
The safety???
If so....he is a good player...8 might be a bit high to get him, but i am big on building both units from the inside out...a stud safety would be welcomed as Jones has never panned out as hoped...I was big on Ed Reed a few years back...and Sean Taylor.
I know this is off on a tangent, but I have always thought Cribbs would make one heck of a free safety. Too bad we have spent 2-3 years with the guy and never found a way for him to impact games on a regular basis...he could still return kicks if we wanted.
In the end, I still think it comes down to the two I mentioned earlier...one of the 2 backers or 2 corners...any of the 4 would be a superb pick.
-
How about if we are looking at 2 additional first day picks from trades of Winslow and Anderson, at least an additional #2 and #3 + a few late round picks. I don't think we can get a number one for either one. Winslow because of his knees and Anderson because of his play this year.
-
I think Winslow can bring a 3rd...and Anderson and a 4th can bring a 2nd....if we indeed trade DA...a new coach may want to hang on to him....and.....we might get more by paying the bonus and waiting for someone to get hurt in camp...or can trade him without a renegotiated deal since the bonus was paid.....more or less buying a draft pick.....be it the draft after next.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
