Skip to content

Laurence Maroney

The Browns Board
13 8 1.1k
  • Again, from Bill Simmons:

    the oft-injured and incredibly disappointing running back who's almost definitely getting waived or traded in April?

    I agree that he'll be waived or traded this offseason, and here is where I's start lobbying hard to get him here.

    Dude was a flat-out stud as a Gopher. He's 23 (24 when the 2009 season starts) and has career stats 1,580 (4.4 YPC) and 12 TD in '06-'07 while splitting carries and essentially losing the '08 season to a shoulder injury.

    Though an injury risk/gamble, I'd sweep him up in a heartbeat before dropping an early-round pick on an RB when we have other pressing needs. He's not going to be signing a hefty contract either, I'd suspect, and would be the PERFECT guy for Harrison to complement.

    I badly want this to happen.

  • Wow, this is suprising news!!!

    I like Maroney, he runs like Barber (Who is my favorite runningback btw.)

    If we could scoop him up that would be great.

    But I still really like Rashad Jennings in the second round.

  • It's not exactly "news," considering the source is a writer/Pats Fan and not a reporter or "insider," but them getting rid of Maroney makes sense. I never thought he fit well in their system, and does even less the way Brady (Cassel) have been airing it out over the last two years. Guys like Kevin Faulk (well, ideally, Marshall Faulk, Reggie Bush, etc) fit best there, not a power runner like Maroney.

  • Brilliant, another move that tom and other GM haters can call stupid when he inevitably gets hurt 🙂.

  • exactly. a running back who can't stay on the field? always a wise investment. they don't take a pounding every play or anything.

  • Guys, I'm not buying Maroney is as "oft-injured" as everyone suggests. Besides this season's issue, his problems look no different than other RBs.

    In his rookie season, Maroney missed two games with what was reported as a rib injury, then had offseason shoulder surgery, which sidelined him for the start of training camp the following season.

    Last season, Maroney missed three games with a groin injury, but was strong down the stretch, closing the season with four 100-yard rushing performances in the final six games of the season, including the three postseason games.

    Something weird happened this season with him in NE, I'm convinced. He may have fallen out with Belichick, who knows. Maroney was not necessarily effusive with reporters regarding his "season-ending injury" in this Boston Globe article.

  • just what we need, another FA for you guys to all call a pussy and what not because he gets hurt.

    everyone bitches about stallworth missing games and calls him a pussy because of an injury that he didn't inflict upon himself no less, and you guys want someone who people say is "oft-injured." brilliant

  • Again, from Bill Simmons:

    the oft-injured and incredibly disappointing running back who's almost definitely getting waived or traded in April?

    I agree that he'll be waived or traded this offseason, and here is where I's start lobbying hard to get him here.

    Dude was a flat-out stud as a Gopher. He's 23 (24 when the 2009 season starts) and has career stats 1,580 (4.4 YPC) and 12 TD in '06-'07 while splitting carries and essentially losing the '08 season to a shoulder injury.

    Though an injury risk/gamble, I'd sweep him up in a heartbeat before dropping an early-round pick on an RB when we have other pressing needs. He's not going to be signing a hefty contract either, I'd suspect, and would be the PERFECT guy for Harrison to complement.

    I badly want this to happen.

    mz. said:

    Though an injury risk/gamble, I'd sweep him up in a heartbeat before dropping an early-round pick on an RB when we have other pressing needs. He's not going to be signing a hefty contract either, I'd suspect, and would be the PERFECT guy for Harrison to complement.

    I like the idea, provided that we bring in an insurance policy in case Maroney does get hurt again.

    If we switch to a WCO, Correll Buckhalter would be a good option; he's been a solid backup to Westbrook for some time now.

  • What a draft the Pats had in '06.

    #21: Maroney - about to be released

    #36: Jackson - released

    #86: Thomas - 21 career catches

    #106: Mills - released after 1 season

    #118: Gstkowski: starting K

    #136: O'Callaghan - special teams reserve

    #191: Mincey - released from practice squad during rookie year

    #205: Stevenson - released from practice squad during rookie year

    #206: Smith - 11 career tackles

    #229: Andrews -arrested and cut

  • kinda makes me rethink pioli. that's an abysmal draft.

  • Its no secret the Patriots didn't like Maroney. The team use to put diapers in his locker because they said he ran "soft" and didn't like to make contact up the middle, instead going to the outside.

  • This dude is the Donte Stallworth of runningbacks.

  • Yeah, that Pats '06 draft was pretty abysmal, but they made up for it the following year, primarily through trades:

    • Getting Wes Welker for a 2nd and 7th
    • Trading their second 1st Round pick for what turned out to be Randy Moss ('07 4th Round pick) and Jerod Mayo ('08 1st Round pick)
    • Drafting Brandon Meriweather (61 TT, 4 INT's this year)
    Even so, the rest of their '07 draft was pretty bad. Of their 8 day two picks, I think Kareem Brown was the only one to make the team, and he was cut midseason.

    Then again, part of the reason why their late-rounders don't make the team is that they've already got pretty good depth. For instance, the Pats tried to sneak Justin Rogers, a 6th Round 3-4 OLB prospect, onto their practice squad, but he was quickly scooped up by the Cowboys.