Everyones Specialty Recipe
-
Howie's Gorgeous Gyoza
When anyone needs cheering up in my house, this is what I get going on. Lovely steamed dumplings.
For the dumpling skins:
Strong white flower
Warm water
Make up enough to make a softball sized ball of dough. The dough should be as soft as your ear lobe. set it aside for 30 mins under a damp cloth while you make the filling.
Filling:
Good quality pork mince (not too lean - you need some fat)
cabbage - handful or two finely sliced / shredded
palmfull of sesame seeds - toasted.
Chopped stalk of lemon grass.
Garlic - lots
Bird eye chillis - as many as you can bear - finely chopped
Nam Pla - Fish sauce, couple table sppons
Squirt of honey
salt / pepper
sesame oil - few swigs
Optional - some prawns - shrimps I think you call them
dark soy sauce - a good squirting
Vinegar - few splashes
Root ginger - loads - about 4 thumbs worth.
Mix all of the above in a food processor on pulse - don't make it all smooth as the texture is not great if you do. Mix the non meat ingredients to a smooth paste and hand mix it with the meat if possible.
Go back to the dough, break of small balls and roll out a disc shape, spoon in some mixture and seal.
Foir the cooking it's easy.
Solid base pan with plenty of sesame oil in it, get up to a good heat, place the dumplings into the hot oil on a medium heat, enough dumplings to fill the base. When the dumplings have a nicely golden bottom, pour a cup of water into the pan until it covers the entire base with about a cm of water. cover with tin foil and cook on medium heat until the water has evaporated.
Serve with a bowl of rice vingegar with shredded ginger.
I'm dripping from the moth with anticipation - man they taste good.
-
My wife is Japanese, I've been eating Gyoza for years. Great stuff.
-
I bet she'd laugh at my recipe! But we like it!
-
Ingredients
* 1 pound bulk Italian sausage..............Hint: Italian sausage links with casings removed crumbles easier
* 1 pound bulk spicy Italian sausage......Same hint as above
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 cup chopped green pepper
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
* 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
* 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
* 8 to 10 French or submarine rolls, split...I like Kaiser rolls
* 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese...get the finely shredded
Directions
* In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook sausage, garlic, green pepper and onion over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink (I add the garlic, peppers, & onions about 1/2 way through the browning); drain. Add the tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Spoon about 1/2 cup onto each roll; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8-10 servings.
These babies are GREAT sloppy joes!
Mike
-
I have a recipe for a good time, (btw, I'm looking forward to you making that last recipe one day, Mike...)..
it requires Canton Mike to own a little bulldozer, so I can put in a fishing pond on the back part of our soybean field... GGG
-
I have a recipe for a good time, (btw, I'm looking forward to you making that last recipe one day, Mike...)..
it requires Canton Mike to own a little bulldozer, so I can put in a fishing pond on the back part of our soybean field... GGG
I have a recipe for a good time, (btw, I'm looking forward to you making that last recipe one day, Mike...)..
it requires Canton Mike to own a little bulldozer, so I can put in a fishing pond on the back part of our soybean field... GGG
Mike,
Say the word & I'll make up a batch....a BIG batch!
LOL!...I don't own a 'dozer, but my oldest daughter's "other half" has all that stuff....."diggers" as my 2 year old namesake calls 'em.
Mike
-
I like to cook....but have have had a few bourbons......I have a lot of special recipes...I have gone to cooking school as vacations....Rome and Paris.....I'll share at a better time.
Plus, I am a son of the South with some Cajun blood....I make a pretty damn good Gumbo....so I have been told a few hundred times over the years..
I like to cook....but have have had a few bourbons......I have a lot of special recipes...I have gone to cooking school as vacations....Rome and Paris.....I'll share at a better time.
Plus, I am a son of the South with some Cajun blood....I make a pretty damn good Gumbo....so I have been told a few hundred times over the years..
As you might guess. "I like to cook with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food." Well, I have a severe aversion to any type of food that came out of water- can't explain it- almost thought I could eat grilled swordfish way back, but I was wrong.
So Gumbo is out. 
Now it's strictly commercial, but what I DO like when I go Cajun is to get a bottle of Paul Prudohomme's Blackened Steak Magic, & follow the directions. Load up a ribeye with butter & that seasoning and plop it on my blackened skillet on the grill out in the yard @ max heat. I'll probably start a Holy War mentioning this, but I do know a thing or two about grilling-learned a few tricks from our "Best in Ohio" steakhouse here in Dayton The Pine Club- you can't get a grill too hot. I put that blackened skillet right on top of the lava rocks, blast away @ 42,000 BTU and it's 2-3 minutes a side for rare, depending on the thickness of the cut of cow.
Kidding aside, I'll share this terrific steak sauce recipe I got from a friend in a separate post.
-
OK, as promised-
Quick Madeira Gravy
6 oz jar of sliced mushrooms, drained
(if you want to be non-quick, 1 cup of sliced fresh mushrooms sauteed in butter)
2T butter
2T flour
2T tomato paste
1 10 oz can of Campbell's beef consomme
1/2 Cup Madeira And from the head wino- here's the rule- "If you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it."
break down and get a REAL Madeira (there's various grades but I use Rainwater)
it will keep damn near forever in the 'fridge if it's corked up.
Brown flour in butter slowly until medium brown
Slowly add consomme & stir constantly to avoid lumpiness
Add tomato paste
Add Madeira and simmer (stirring) 5 minutes- add small amounts of water if it gets too thick
Add mushrooms
You can prepare this ahead of time and add water when ready to serve- it also stores well in the 'fridge, but you need to add water on re-heat.
Goes terrific with a oven roasted tenderloin, or fillets on the grill.
-
So Gumbo is out.
Why?? I use Chicken or duck and sausage. I don't make a seafood gumbo.
-
Here is one I had tonight....quick and good IMO. Takes as long as it takes to cook the pasta.
Angel hair with white clam sauce.....for two
On one burner, start a pot of water with a little salt and 2-3 dashes of garlic powder...bring to boil and add pasta for two....enough said here.....pretty simple.
In a small pot add maybe 4 tablespoons good olive oil.....set heat to med...
While oil is heating smash 4 cloves of garlic and chop fine....add to oil....remember fairly low..you don't want to burn garlic...as soon as it starts to sizzle for 20 second, remove from heat...add 1/3 stick of butter an put back on heat.
Open 2 cans chopped clams(actually, have them opened at the beginning....burnt garlic doesn't work)....keeping lid on, pour the liquid from the cans in to the oil/garlic/butter and up the heat to melt butter and bring to or near to boil.
Add basil to the liquid while it's heading to boil...maybe a half dollar size pile or more in the palm of your hand....stir....
Once boiling....remove from heat....you are basically done.
Just before you plate up pasta, add the clams to the sauce....the clams are cooked, you just want them to heat in the hot liquid a minute or so to keep them from tasting like chopped up rubber bands.
Ladle up the clams and liquid in equal portions over the pasta.
You will find the clam juice is salty, so don't add salt and go easy on the salt in the pasta water.
You can add pepper to this if you wish.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login